Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chris Knight posted:

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl

Me, out-Coened. That is a first.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Things I hate the poo poo out of while riding: heavy traffic in heavy rain, moving so slow even my pinlock fogs up, not seeing those goddamn pedestrian crossing studs until too late and having the back step out again for the third time this week and second time today. :sigh:

On the plus side, I finally got around to booking my practical test, so I'll soon be able to salivate over bigger bikes with actual intent to buy get rid of my L plates and continue riding the 125 forever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do you giggle when your rear and wiggles across tar snakes? One of these days I'll die from it but for now it's fun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Do you giggle when your rear and wiggles across tar snakes? One of these days I'll die from it but for now it's fun.

Yeah, and manhole covers. There's one just before my office that I hit deliberately every time it's wet.

(Also outside of a biker context that's one of the filthiest exchanges I've ever read)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, and manhole covers. There's one just before my office that I hit deliberately every time it's wet.

How do you do this without making GBS threads your pants with fear? If the rear slides in the dry I'm usually ok because I know it'll regain traction one way or another, but in the wet my mind insists that even the tiniest loss of grip will result in a sudden, irrecoverable total loss of vertical attitude and I'll crash.

I think being in a massive car crash (as a passenger) in the rain plus my biggest bike crash being in the rain has completely traumatised me about wet tyres.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Trail riding enduros with dualsport tires in the winter has improved my low-traction confidence a lot. If I'm trying to dong around, I usually don't poo poo my pants. I still pucker when it surprises me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

How do you do this without making GBS threads your pants with fear? If the rear slides in the dry I'm usually ok because I know it'll regain traction one way or another, but in the wet my mind insists that even the tiniest loss of grip will result in a sudden, irrecoverable total loss of vertical attitude and I'll crash.

I think being in a massive car crash (as a passenger) in the rain plus my biggest bike crash being in the rain has completely traumatised me about wet tyres.

I think you've probably diagnosed your own problem there. My prescription? SuperDuke, skidpan, and change of underwear.

For me it's probably because my formative bike experiences were on first absolutely terrible bikes where losing traction was so absolutely common that I was more scared of the engine actually starting than I was of slipping a bit because the latter was way more common, and then the RS, which gave me enough confidence in its ability to regain grip after a fuckup that I used to take a detour to work in the wet to go over Hammersmith Flyover (where there's a metal expansion joint the width of the road in the middle of a curve at the top of a slope at >60 just for the feeling.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Saw this monstrosity in the flesh today and posted this pic in the pics thread but realise it really belongs here:

Especially once you read this:

quote:

The young social media-engaged urbanites live a digital existence in a fast moving world. And they are totally engaged by the new.

Without question, the NM4 Vultus is just that. It is avant-garde in both the way it looks but also, and perhaps more importantly, in the detail work that has gone into creating a unique riding experience. The reactive dashboard - with colours that change depending on driving mode - and flip-up pillion seat that acts as rider backrest are just two examples. Vultus is Latin for appearance, expression or face.

The NM4 Vultus, with its LED lights, future-shock style and stealth bomber silhouette presents a look that will not have been seen in any cityscape this side of an anime movie. Underneath the brooding menace is a rock-solid chassis and engine package. Packed with low-friction technology, its 745cc twin-cylinder engine is canted forward, creating space and a low centre of gravity. Delivering strong low and mid-range power and torque for smooth acceleration coupled with excellent fuel economy, its also equipped as standard with Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), giving the rider options between automatic twist-and-go D and S mode plus trigger-operated computer game-style manual MT mode.

Intuitive and easy to use, it adds to the futuristic appeal of the NM4 Vultus and is the perfect complement to the engines gutsy, usable performance.

Actual adult human beings wrote those words. And Honda - actual Honda - not only approved them but presumably paid for them. I suddenly feel so much better about Ducati's bullshit.

And yes, it's yet another NC-based bike. So it's scooter performance in a bike that you have to pay big-bike tax and insurance on - except now you can't even get the fucker through traffic.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, but it looks cool.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They lost me at "young social" but it looks cool. Somehow it found the intersection of Judge Dredd and Judge Dread where previously they existed in different realities.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Guys, I want you to study the Victory Vision, but wall off the motor because motors are icky and our target demo can barely be bothered to check tire pressure...oh, and Transformers.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
That doesn't look cool at all. It's busy and has a poo poo-ton of useless plastic. Shave off all that stupid bullshit and spend the saved money on forks that don't look like they were pilfered from a 50cc scooter.

Also I like how they're honestly selling a motorcycle with a chain to scooter people. The moment you tell a scooter person (s)he's gotta clean and lube that sucker every 500 miles they're gonna walk away from that thing and go buy a Suzuki Burgman.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A go-kart, surely? It's only about 70hp and competition 250cc two-strokes make more than that.

Maybe he means an RSV4 RF motor? 201 hp seems like a good start.

He's thinking a Formula SAE type car, and I think he really means for autocross. FSAE normally allows up to a 600cc engine and most teams obviously pick I4s. He told me that reliability is irrelevant for what he wants to do.

This thing looks fun, I would just rather use an engine I wouldn't have to overhaul after every run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhimaD28JRQ

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Especially once you read this:

Actual adult human beings wrote those words. And Honda - actual Honda - not only approved them but presumably paid for them. I suddenly feel so much better about Ducati's bullshit.

And yes, it's yet another NC-based bike. So it's scooter performance in a bike that you have to pay big-bike tax and insurance on - except now you can't even get the fucker through traffic.

Yeah that's pretty awful, but calling a marketing honk an adult human is a stretch. I like the looks but if it rides like the NC700 I'm not interested. I test rode one and it felt like a big soulless scooter.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ripoff posted:

That doesn't look cool at all. It's busy and has a poo poo-ton of useless plastic.

No, that's exactly what makes it cool. It's not busy at all compared to most modern sportbikes. I totally agree with the person who said they need to sell those fairings. I was actually disappointed that they didn't extend up past the handlebars.

It's true that I don't know if their target market really exists, but it's a limited edition, so they probably don't know either. Still, people buy the can am, harleys, and a myriad of other comfortable commuter bikes that are not scooters. People who want something like that have money, and want something that looks cool. They probably do not want to be shifting all over the place, and can also pay someone to do any labor on it.

I wouldn't buy it because I can buy three of my dream bikes for what one of those costs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

He's thinking a Formula SAE type car, and I think he really means for autocross. FSAE normally allows up to a 600cc engine and most teams obviously pick I4s. He told me that reliability is irrelevant for what he wants to do.

This thing looks fun, I would just rather use an engine I wouldn't have to overhaul after every run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhimaD28JRQ

Okay, so it's an *awesome* go-kart then.

To answer his question Aprilia do sell crated XV motors (unsurprisingly as it's a competition engine), but he's going to be seriously stomped by anyone running a 600cc I4 and get RSI from shifting it to keep it on the power.

Advise he go properly crazy and look at 250cc two-strokes instead. Even lighter than the XV, more power, and you can buy them already set up for car(t) use.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Ripoff posted:

That doesn't look cool at all. It's busy and has a poo poo-ton of useless plastic. Shave off all that stupid bullshit and spend the saved money on forks that don't look like they were pilfered from a 50cc scooter.

Also I like how they're honestly selling a motorcycle with a chain to scooter people. The moment you tell a scooter person (s)he's gotta clean and lube that sucker every 500 miles they're gonna walk away from that thing and go buy a Suzuki Burgman.

As a belt man (harley, XG750 - I insisted to myself that my next bike be belt-driven), I concur. What's ridiculous is they could've easily belted that fucker. If my XG750 can use a belt, that fucker sure as hell can. Also...I like the stealth bomber look...

I love belt drives. I loved the idea of them ever since I learned they exist in riding class. They're so simple and easy. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed cleaning and lubing my chains but it was the requirement to get my garage all kinds of hosed up and dirty/smelly...on a hot day...when I really just wanted to relax... Just like spoked rims, it's a bit much for a commuter. Note: I ride every day to work unless its snowing so that may be a factor.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Oh yeah...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, so it's an *awesome* go-kart then.

To answer his question Aprilia do sell crated XV motors (unsurprisingly as it's a competition engine), but he's going to be seriously stomped by anyone running a 600cc I4 and get RSI from shifting it to keep it on the power.

Advise he go properly crazy and look at 250cc two-strokes instead. Even lighter than the XV, more power, and you can buy them already set up for car(t) use.

A few years ago he was trying to design a V8 that used two 250 2-strokes for maximum insanity (I think he actually posted in here asking about them since it was before he got banned). I would be encouraging him if he had the resources to pull this off.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Radbot posted:

Pretty sure real Kobe beef is raised in Japan, so, hajimemashite

Raised yes but they buy breeding stock and calves here in the Bitterroot valley

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

From my ride this last weekend.

Edit: video is easier to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WFYrLNaC4

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 20, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Some woman in a Fit did that to 5 of us last September in the middle of Nevada, except on the left side. Oncoming lane was empty and visible for MILES in front of us. We had a talk at the next gas stop. She was completely loving oblivious.

Had a dude on a some BMW RT or something do that to me in Yellowstone a couple weeks ago, on the right side. I knew he was up to something fishy so I wasn't surprised.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, he rolled down his window and just about leaned out to shake his head at me, I don't know what he thought I did you to him. Maybe I was supposed to park behind that car so he could go by?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Verge posted:

As a belt man (harley, XG750 - I insisted to myself that my next bike be belt-driven), I concur. What's ridiculous is they could've easily belted that fucker. If my XG750 can use a belt, that fucker sure as hell can. Also...I like the stealth bomber look...

I love belt drives. I loved the idea of them ever since I learned they exist in riding class. They're so simple and easy. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed cleaning and lubing my chains but it was the requirement to get my garage all kinds of hosed up and dirty/smelly...on a hot day...when I really just wanted to relax... Just like spoked rims, it's a bit much for a commuter. Note: I ride every day to work unless its snowing so that may be a factor.

Yeah all the NC bikes, being cheap commuter vehicles, really should have belts. Also, hydraulic lifters, as they don't rev high anyway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So a pretty mundane bit of driver stupidity, but gently caress me the horn on the Monster is pathetic even by bike standards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dubc5trvvK0

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Dutymode posted:

From my ride this last weekend.

Edit: video is easier to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WFYrLNaC4

goon getting passed by suv.avi

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GL-1000 timing belt replacement procedure dot Jay peg

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Razzled posted:

goon getting passed by suv.avi

I think I was already going 40 in a 30.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Fuckin' Evel Knievel here

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Just got home after spending a night in the ICU and another night in a rather nice (and probably quite expensive) private room after getting (apparently) smashed by some lady that blew a stop sign. I don't remember anything; I don't know if I was awake for the ambulance or the ER. Hell, once I woke up I didn't recognize my own mom (I did say hi to her husband, though). The upshot is that I am mostly better now, aside from a broken collarbone and a bruised hand. Got pretty lucky overall, thank goodness for all my gear. I have no idea in what shape my bike is. Probably won't be able to ride until the spring. And I was so looking forward to that Ducati demo ride tomorrow!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Just got home after spending a night in the ICU and another night in a rather nice (and probably quite expensive) private room after getting (apparently) smashed by some lady that blew a stop sign. I don't remember anything; I don't know if I was awake for the ambulance or the ER. Hell, once I woke up I didn't recognize my own mom (I did say hi to her husband, though). The upshot is that I am mostly better now, aside from a broken collarbone and a bruised hand. Got pretty lucky overall, thank goodness for all my gear. I have no idea in what shape my bike is. Probably won't be able to ride until the spring. And I was so looking forward to that Ducati demo ride tomorrow!

Holy gently caress! The fact that you can't remember even being in a crash means you're lucky to be alive, surely.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It seems like my head took most of the impact. I have a big abrasion on my forehead, my braces are all hosed up...my poor wife was telling me that I kept asking her if something happened. Like every 5 minutes or so. I'm glad I don't remember most of that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
At night? My worst fear is hitting something I couldn't distinguish from random lights and shadows.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

GL-1000 timing belt replacement procedure dot Jay peg

It is literally buellvacation.jpg

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

drat, dude. That's terrible. Good to hear you're ok.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Goons stop getting rekt please :(

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

captainOrbital posted:

smashed by some lady that blew a stop sign.

Christ, that was like my favorite goon bike of all time. May the payout buy five more like it.

Heart goes out to the Orbital clan; maybe a hiatus is in order for their sake. GWS.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Holy gently caress! The fact that you can't remember even being in a crash means you're lucky to be alive, surely.

Same, glad to hear you're ok, Captain Orbital!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Razzled posted:

Fuckin' Evel Knievel here

Listen here, buddy.