Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

I always just ran at them and hacked them up with my enchanted Sword of the Zephyr (incidentally this is my solution to everything). But yeah spooky black robe ghosts are just irritating when you're far enough that they don't pose a real threat.

Warp is legitimately not far off from being a really good mechanic, but permanent warp is bad because it overstays its welcome really badly.

Yeah, a couple Progress iterations (before Taffer declared that he disliked Thaumcraft enough that no one got to play with it) I had a really bad regular infestation of Eldritch Guardians. I set up in a redwood that was really close to one of the floating Thaumcraft totems. So between my warp, and regular "visitors" from the totems who would come over, fall into a hole and get stuck in my mines it got really damned obnoxious really damned fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, a couple Progress iterations (before Taffer declared that he disliked Thaumcraft enough that no one got to play with it)

:salt:

It was the right call :smug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is it me, or is the recipe for Ship's Helm hosed in Blightfall?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So, what's the word on this immersive Engineering mod? It looks really interesting, like a less BS IC2 with a much better aesthetic at first glance, but how's it perform?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Magres posted:

I always just ran at them and hacked them up with my enchanted Sword of the Zephyr (incidentally this is my solution to everything). But yeah spooky black robe ghosts are just irritating when you're far enough that they don't pose a real threat.

Warp is legitimately not far off from being a really good mechanic, but permanent warp is bad because it overstays its welcome really badly. Being able tune Warp and its effects would make it a really good mechanic. I'd turn off Permanent Warp, turn off the Unnatural Hunger event (here, at least - in modpacks where starvation is no big deal, unnatural hunger is a good event), limit spooky ghost wizards to happening like 5 times, and boom Warp is in a place that would make me really happy.

:stare:

That sounds like an unintended interaction and is awful bullshit.

Angel Blocks can be placed in mid-air, my plan is to use Angel Blocks as anchors and leapfrog Totems of the Dawn around.
Don't forget that offerings can be used to teleport dawn machines and all essentia and rf blocks in a 5x5x5 cube around it. With a good supply of aer, you don't need to move the dawn machine much, and it chunk loads everything in its current cleanse range.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is it me, or is the recipe for Ship's Helm hosed in Blightfall?

It's a thaumcraft recipe!

Reason posted:

Warp would be neat if it was just cosmetic stuff, but dying in 30 seconds because you got Unnatural Hunger IV and there's not really any good ways to get rotten flesh is stupid bullshit!

If you're getting unnatural hunger IV then you have way too much warp. What did you do, read the cheaty thaumonomicon? You need to use rather a lot of soap to get that down to managable levels, or constantly wear/use anti-warp items.

The best way to get rotten flesh is to let a sinister node spawn Furious Zombies so you can kill them. Like 20 flesh from each zombie.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

:salt:

It was the right call :smug:

You can't stop me from abusing myself with cludge-tastic mods! I more or less ignored TE/EIO as much as I could and went straight for Factorization after you tore out thaumcraft.

Honestly, as much as you always go on about people always doing the same thing I was kinda surprised you took out Thaum. Then again, I didn't miss the loving eldritch guardians one bit.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 19, 2015

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
That reminds me; I miss Progress. Taffer, when are you setting up a new server? Just ignore Witchery this time, killing Angela's got tiresome after a while. I do miss the hat mod, though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In the more recent versions of Thaumcraft Warp actually stops affecting you if you go for a while without doing any more warpy things. Your warp level stays the same and getting any more warp will cause you to suffer from effects of that level, but not doing warp stuff will make your warp effects affect you less and less until they stop altogether.

Whether or not that makes warp a good mechanic or not is a matter of personal opinion, and I can understand both sides of it. I think it's kind of fun, personally.

edit: grinning devil mask all day

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder, could you make an automatic charcoal farm using nothing but Botania and vanilla?

(redstone circuitry convenience mods optional, gently caress if I'm gonna take the time to learn a vanilla xor circuit or timer or whatever)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

That reminds me; I miss Progress. Taffer, when are you setting up a new server? Just ignore Witchery this time, killing Angela's got tiresome after a while. I do miss the hat mod, though.

I've been considering bringing it back for a little while, but I want to do something different because it's been too samey for a while. I'm planning to take a closer look at the immersive engineering mod that was just mentioned once I play through blightfall. If it's good I'll probably start building a pack around it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

Oh gods yeah, gently caress witchery.

Looked cool, had no idea what it actually did besides flood the server with Angelas.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you think warp is stupid why not just turn it off instead of scrapping thaum entirely

it's right there in the config files

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

If you think warp is stupid why not just turn it off instead of scrapping thaum entirely

it's right there in the config files

It cuts off access to the end-game research for Thaumcraft. Because, again, research is stupid.

Honestly, my biggest irritation is the permanent section of it. But since warp tends to fade off in its effects as time goes on, just soaking in an arcane spa should reduce all but the minor irritatoins. I really don't even notice the "whispers of secrets, gain +1 primal research points" ominous fading/throbbing anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does reading a Cheatonomicon, then using /tc to remove all of your warp, preserve access to everything? I'm coming to the conclusion that Warp Is Dumb, and we all already know that Research Is Dumb, so hell, let's skip both.

Be nice if there were an ingame way to automatically scan everything--not for research, mind, but for distillation purposes--but I guess what's what wiki listings are for :v:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ciaphas posted:

Does reading a Cheatonomicon, then using /tc to remove all of your warp, preserve access to everything? I'm coming to the conclusion that Warp Is Dumb, and we all already know that Research Is Dumb, so hell, let's skip both.

Be nice if there were an ingame way to automatically scan everything--not for research, mind, but for distillation purposes--but I guess what's what wiki listings are for :v:

Disabling warp and reading the Cheatonomicon will still give you all the Eldritch Thaumonomicon entries.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder, could you make an automatic charcoal farm using nothing but Botania and vanilla?

(redstone circuitry convenience mods optional, gently caress if I'm gonna take the time to learn a vanilla xor circuit or timer or whatever)

Yeah I bet you could. Only plant trees with predictable growth shapes like birch, have bore lenses pointing downwards towards them at just the right height so that their burst travels right up to the dirt block but doesn't quite break it. Collect logs via filtered hopperhock, transport to furnace via red string. Collect saplings via another filtered hopperhock, stash them into a vanilla dispenser or open crate that drops them onto a rannuncarpus, which replants them. The hard part would be to detect when the tree is ready to be cut down, but I bet you could work something out by having a secondary mana spreader fire mana bursts once per minute (using a hovering hourglass) that pass directly above the sapling into a mana detector. The mana detector resets a timer each time it's hit, and if the timer is allowed to finish, triggers the bore lens. So the tree grows, blocks the detector mana burst, the timer counts down, the bore lens fires and deconstructs the tree, and there you go.

This is all me theorycrafting though. Maybe I'll try to actually build one at some point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I bet you could. Only plant trees with predictable growth shapes like birch, have bore lenses pointing downwards towards them at just the right height so that their burst travels right up to the dirt block but doesn't quite break it. Collect logs via filtered hopperhock, transport to furnace via red string. Collect saplings via another filtered hopperhock, stash them into a vanilla dispenser or open crate that drops them onto a rannuncarpus, which replants them. The hard part would be to detect when the tree is ready to be cut down, but I bet you could work something out by having a secondary mana spreader fire mana bursts once per minute (using a hovering hourglass) that pass directly above the sapling into a mana detector. The mana detector resets a timer each time it's hit, and if the timer is allowed to finish, triggers the bore lens. So the tree grows, blocks the detector mana burst, the timer counts down, the bore lens fires and deconstructs the tree, and there you go.

This is all me theorycrafting though. Maybe I'll try to actually build one at some point.

Well, I did ask, though I fear my head just exploded :(

What about automation of crafting flowers and runes? I gotta think that that's impossible though I'm not sure I can be surprised about Botania Bullshit anymore (I know Taffer did it with AE2 at one point, though). Last time I tried Botania I looked at the amount of Sin runes required for the later stuff and kind of just gave up out of sheer :effort:

(edit)

Fortis posted:

Disabling warp and reading the Cheatonomicon will still give you all the Eldritch Thaumonomicon entries.
Sounds like a plan to me, thanks. :)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 20, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Here's some hassle-free AE recipes. As usual there is a slight convenience tax and of course you can still make them the old way if you're material starved. Save these into a file ending in .zs (e.g. ae.zs) and put it your scripts folder. Either restart MC or use /mt reload. Enjoy.

code:
//aliases
val iron = <minecraft:iron_ingot>;
val gold = <minecraft:gold_ingot>;
val redstone = <minecraft:redstone>;
val nether_quartz = <minecraft:quartz>;
val diamond = <minecraft:diamond>;
val silicon = <ore:itemSilicon>;

val certus_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:0>;
val charged_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:1>;
val fluix_crystal = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:7>;

val proc_gold = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:22>;
val proc_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:23>;
val proc_diamond = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:24>;

////////////////////////////
//  Alternate AE Recipes  //
////////////////////////////

//circuit recipes
recipes.addShaped(proc_gold,
   [[redstone, silicon, null],
	[  iron,    gold, 	null],
	[redstone, silicon, null]]);

recipes.addShaped(proc_diamond,
   [[redstone, silicon, null],
	[  iron,   diamond, null 	],

recipes.addShaped(proc_quartz,
   [[redstone, silicon, 	null],
	[ iron, charged_quartz, null],

//fluix crystal
recipes.addShapeless(fluix_crystal * 2, [charged_quartz, nether_quartz, redstone]);
e: fixed

Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 20, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

You can angle the chopping mana burst so that it goes through all the possible log blocks and then just misses the dirt block, hitting a mana pool instead. That way, you can keep the mana burst in circulation.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
You don't even need botania, just use dispensers to plant and bonemeal birch or spruce, and a BUD to know when the tree grows. Then, pistons get the dirt out of the way and push the logs up via sand where they're then pushed over to a chamber where you drop aggro'd skeleton-creeper pairs that blow up the logs which land on hoppers. To get those pairs you build a mob farm that filters spiders and endermen via size, zombies by villager aggression, and creepers by cat fear. Then you put a skeleton (A) between you and another skeleton (B) who is aggro'd onto you, and once skele A is mad at skele B (detected via tripwire), move A and interdict a creeper between them and B so that they rile up the creeper. Then, drop A and the creeper.

Simple.

Source: me, who did this

Syenite fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 20, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

It cuts off access to the end-game research for Thaumcraft. Because, again, research is stupid.

Honestly, my biggest irritation is the permanent section of it. But since warp tends to fade off in its effects as time goes on, just soaking in an arcane spa should reduce all but the minor irritatoins. I really don't even notice the "whispers of secrets, gain +1 primal research points" ominous fading/throbbing anymore.

Wait wait wait, changing that option just removes the warp research entirely? God that is a dumb way to handle that. I figured it would just remove warp effects and points from existing, but apparently the mod creator is a turbonerd who can't handle people disagreeing with them when their design decisions are bad.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Magres posted:

apparently the mod creator is a turbonerd who can't handle people disagreeing with them when their design decisions are bad.

minecraft_modding.txt

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taffer posted:

I've been considering bringing it back for a little while, but I want to do something different because it's been too samey for a while. I'm planning to take a closer look at the immersive engineering mod that was just mentioned once I play through blightfall. If it's good I'll probably start building a pack around it.

It certainly LOOKS pleasing but it would be nice to see how it impacts the server

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Speaking as someone who just wants to get Thaumcraft started in Blightfall already, where can I find some gold?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

Wait wait wait, changing that option just removes the warp research entirely? God that is a dumb way to handle that. I figured it would just remove warp effects and points from existing, but apparently the mod creator is a turbonerd who can't handle people disagreeing with them when their design decisions are bad.

Yeah, if you turn off warp you can't reach the eldritch tab at all, at least in a non-cheaty way. The eldritch tab which is a bit of a pain/crapshoot to reach already if you don't have a couple stacks of zombie brains to eat.

Azanor (Thaumcraft's creator) has some serious cataracts in his "My Vision", or maybe he's just got his head stuck that far up his rear end. I really, really, really like about 80-90% of his mod and then it's got stuff like the the 40 or so elements, the mod's end-game being sealed off by the janky warp mechanic, the research which MUST be in there for you to experience every time (oh, fine I'll make a mode to turn it off, but you still get ALL THE WARP! Still not happy, fine I'll just make you pay for aspects without the minigame, only this mode costs more especially with the unbalanced aspect tree).

He's also the source of some hilarious drama regarding monetization/version control of his mod. He made some good money off of patreon from people wanting the latest version of his mod early. :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Shukaro posted:

You don't even need botania, just use dispensers to plant and bonemeal birch or spruce, and a BUD to know when the tree grows. Then, pistons get the dirt out of the way and push the logs up via sand where they're then pushed over to a chamber where you drop aggro'd skeleton-creeper pairs that blow up the logs which land on hoppers. To get those pairs you build a mob farm that filters spiders and endermen via size, zombies by villager aggression, and creepers by cat fear. Then you put a skeleton (A) between you and another skeleton (B) who is aggro'd onto you, and once skele A is mad at skele B (detected via tripwire), move A and interdict a creeper between them and B so that they rile up the creeper. Then, drop A and the creeper.

Simple.

Source: me, who did this

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Turtlicious posted:

OMP-I is crashing when I'm starting a new world, do I need to increase permgen still in the technic launcher?

stabbington posted:

I'm also having this issue, in case it's getting lost in the blightfall shuffle.

I was able to create new worlds after removing the Compact Machines mod, but there are a lot of errors in the logs so this may or may not work for you.

Currently I am at the point where I can get a standalone server running, but as soon as any client connects, it tries to send that client a >50KB packet, which causes the server to throw an exception and immediately disconnect that client. My theory is that there is a problem with the minetweaker script which is causing it to throw an absolutely massive exception, and the server is trying to helpfully send that exception to clients when they connect.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I was able to create new worlds after removing the Compact Machines mod, but there are a lot of errors in the logs so this may or may not work for you.

Currently I am at the point where I can get a standalone server running, but as soon as any client connects, it tries to send that client a >50KB packet, which causes the server to throw an exception and immediately disconnect that client. My theory is that there is a problem with the minetweaker script which is causing it to throw an absolutely massive exception, and the server is trying to helpfully send that exception to clients when they connect.

You might want to take this to the OMP-i thread so that Stealth Archer can see this directly and debug it (when he has time). Otherwise it's liable to get lost in the Blightfall chat.

Have you tried manually switching version 3.0.1? He did a tweak today to try to fix the errors/crash to desktop. No ideas if it's any more stable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Well, I did ask, though I fear my head just exploded :(

What about automation of crafting flowers and runes? I gotta think that that's impossible though I'm not sure I can be surprised about Botania Bullshit anymore (I know Taffer did it with AE2 at one point, though). Last time I tried Botania I looked at the amount of Sin runes required for the later stuff and kind of just gave up out of sheer :effort:

Botania's whole shtick is that, with nothing but vanilla redstone and its tools, you can automate everything in the mod. One of the more recent versions has a feature called "challenges":

There's a lot of ways to do treefarms. e.g.: http://gfycat.com/QuestionableAromaticCats (that is pretty overengineered though)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well now I kinda wanna drop Blightfall and see what I can find in the way of a Botania-focused skyblock, or maybe go back to Regrowth. Challenges look fun but doing them in the Blightfall constraints doesn't.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Well now I kinda wanna drop Blightfall and see what I can find in the way of a Botania-focused skyblock, or maybe go back to Regrowth. Challenges look fun but doing them in the Blightfall constraints doesn't.

If you do this, look up "Garden of Glass" at http://botaniamod.net/ . It adds a special map mode that is a botania skyblock, with some of the recipes modified to make it possible to do.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

quote:

The thread's feelings on Warp and Azanor's "MUH VISIUN."

You're all mostly right that its hot bullshit, BUT its also fixable!

1: Open to Lan.
2: Read the Cheat'o'nomicon
3: /tc help
4: Find the bit about warp. I think it goes /tc warp <player name> <Perm/temp/something> <set/add/remove> <amount>
5: Set your three categories of warp to 0.

He did also turn down spooky ghosts by making them weaker in the Overworld and not doing anything with Thaumcraft lowers event severity and frequency until it stops (doesn't touch your warp level tho!) so there's that.

Have fun dying in the Corridors of the Mind, that place is some hot bullshit but hey, you only need to do it once. :unsmigghh:

If you want my alternative to that, which still lets you enjoy going insane, do the following.

1: Lan
2: /tc help
3: Find the bit about aspects. I think it goes /tc aspect <player name> <aspect name / All > <set/add/remove> <amount>
4: Give yourself 2000 of every aspect.
5: Cherry pick the research you want, go insane on your own time.

I really wish he'd gate research behind threshold unlocks, like Botania's "throw the book into an elven gateway." thing. :smith: Or at least throw more solutions to the various warp effects. Sunlight literally killing you? Go down to bedrock and go into total darkness, duration significantly reduced. Deadly G(l)aze? Blind yourself with a potion and the two nullify each other.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

If you do this, look up "Garden of Glass" at http://botaniamod.net/ . It adds a special map mode that is a botania skyblock, with some of the recipes modified to make it possible to do.

This works without stuff like Ex Nihilo? Don't suppose a mod pack is set up somewhere already, is there? Sounds like a fun diversion,

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

This works without stuff like Ex Nihilo? Don't suppose a mod pack is set up somewhere already, is there? Sounds like a fun diversion,

Yep -- it adds its own form of getting cobble (right clicking on dirt gets you things to craft into cobble.)

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/official-garden-of-glass.703954 but it's 3 weeks old so idk if it has the newest newest version of botania

You can also make your own version with something like MultiMC -- just install forge, then add Botania and Garden of Glass and you're technically ready (though utility mods are nice too)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Speaking as someone who just wants to get Thaumcraft started in Blightfall already, where can I find some gold?

Easiest way is to go though the sapling bags and upgrade from ghost to dark to blood wood, get a tinker's tool forge somewhere along the way, make a bloodwood hammer and hammer your way though at the level that has gold.
After you turn in the geologist quest (diamond, gold, iron, redstone, etc), you will be able to request gold tools to melt down.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yep -- it adds its own form of getting cobble (right clicking on dirt gets you things to craft into cobble.)

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/official-garden-of-glass.703954 but it's 3 weeks old so idk if it has the newest newest version of botania

You can also make your own version with something like MultiMC -- just install forge, then add Botania and Garden of Glass and you're technically ready (though utility mods are nice too)

Good point, I hadn't thought of just doing it myself :downs:

So Botania and Garden of Glass, NEI (jesus I'd forgotten that that's even a mod, it's so critical), Inventory Tweaks... hm, guess I'll figure out what else as I go, since oregen isn't exactly a Thing on a skyblock :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i refuse to believe that silverwood saplings actually grow

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i refuse to believe that silverwood saplings actually grow

God they take forever sometimes, and sometimes it seems like they just bug out and won't grow even if you plant them in the exact same spot they grew last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Good point, I hadn't thought of just doing it myself :downs:

So Botania and Garden of Glass, NEI (jesus I'd forgotten that that's even a mod, it's so critical), Inventory Tweaks... hm, guess I'll figure out what else as I go, since oregen isn't exactly a Thing on a skyblock :v:

WAILA and Baubles (Baubles is a dependency for Botania)