Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The first being River Song right?

(I hope to god that one's over with permanently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mokinokaro posted:

I think her last appearance is in a DVD extra. It was a really weird way to get rid of such a pivotal character of the early Moffat era.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Irish Joe posted:

I think her last appearance is in a DVD extra. It was a really weird way to get rid of such a pivotal character of the early Moffat era.

She's apparently coming back in some audio dramas.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

computer parts posted:

She's apparently coming back in some audio dramas.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-diary-of-river-song-1313?range=113

She's also appearing in an upcoming Eighth Doctor box set.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doom-coalition-2-1222

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I hate to mention it, but wasn't her latest chronological appearance in (I wont dignify it by bolding) The name of the Doctor? As a library ghost lady?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

A season nine ep. A gatiss one, is going to be found footage.

Personally I approve but I expect it will be controversial.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Little_wh0re posted:

Wasn't the one with the concrete blow job a found footage episode?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Wasn't the one with the concrete blow job a found footage episode?

No, that was purely vlogs (and was only used as a narrative gimmick)

Also, gently caress you for bringing L & M up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Little_wh0re posted:

At least you can't say it's regular old Doctor Who.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh yeah. The worst part is nearly every DW fan outside this forum loves her. I just do not understand it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Zygon two-parter titles have been revealed:

Invasion of the Zygons
Inversion of the Zygons

Also, a bit of a worrying quote from Capaldi, basically saying his time may be up sooner than later.

EDIT: Also, apparently episode 11 is going to feature Capaldi as the only actor in the episode.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 20, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He's going to have done what, three series assuming he doesn't regenerate in this one (which we would have heard about)? That's normal

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly kind of okay with each actor only doing 3 or so seasons before regeneration. Part of the fun of the show is seeing a brand new actor (with new personality traits, etc) take over the role, and especially with the possibility of later coming back for Big Finish stuff, there's no reason to keep any one actor in the role forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it's just with him being such a huge fan, there was an expectation that he'd stay on in the role for longer than the usual 3 years. Every time a new actor comes in, there's the line about 'going for Tom Baker's record'.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm ready for a new Doctor. I'd quite like a less-sure-of-himself Doctor this time. More nervy, bookish. Less gung ho. Like Five but less boring.

Twelve is in many ways a complete gently caress up, but he still struts around telling people how great he is (or rather, how poo poo they are). Capaldi seems like an awesome bloke, but his Doctor's unrelenting dickishness is getting pretty tedious IMO.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I think it's just with him being such a huge fan, there was an expectation that he'd stay on in the role for longer than the usual 3 years. Every time a new actor comes in, there's the line about 'going for Tom Baker's record'.

Which will only ever be true again of tom bakers second run, where he stays in until he's 107 birthday.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love Alex Kingston, I just hated how freakin’ SMUG River gets at times with Moffat writing her. I am intrigued to see how (and who) Big Finish writes for her…

Three seasons is “just right” for the Doctor. It’s how long Hartnell, Troughton, and Davison stayed, Pertwee stayed for four, and Tennant/Smith did three seasons + a whole bunch of specials. One season to get a grip on the Doctor’s characterization, one or two seasons to BE the Doctor, and one season to wrap everything up before moving on to the next Doctor. Baker’s run was a happy accident, but it’s no surprise most of his best stories are towards the beginning and middle of his run…

Three seasons of Capaldi works for me! Just please not three seasons of Twelve/Clara. I love their chemistry, but half the fun isn’t just a new Doctor, but a new companion as well.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Realities of production schedules, budgets, etc would prevent this from realistically happening but next time they do a regeneration it'd be awesome if it just spontaneously happened in the middle of a season, or, even better, in the middle of an episode

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Riptor posted:

Realities of production schedules, budgets, etc would prevent this from realistically happening but next time they do a regeneration it'd be awesome if it just spontaneously happened in the middle of a season, or, even better, in the middle of an episode

Actually, I think it would be possible if they were clever about it. It would require some pretty good cooperation within the production team, though.

The way I see it, structure the pre-airing publicity as a bit of a mystery, but make it appear like they're a prominent supporting character. Like how Danny Pink looked last season, mixed with their mystery around Missy. Make sure that the current Doctor is actually present for all the on-location stuff, so nobody can go 'wait, they're shooting in Paris but Capaldi's still in Britain' or whatever. Production schedules wouldn't be too bad, since they shoot episodes out of order anyway, they can probably plan around having a Secret Doctor. If they're really clever they can take a leaf from Metal Gear Solid 2's book, and have the preview media for the Secret Doctor's episodes be decoy shots with the current Doctor in his place, but that probably wouldn't be necessary.

As for handling the new Doctor's regeneration itself, they can say that the current guy's stopping, but don't yet tell people who the new guy is or anything. That's a trick that worked for a pretty good fakeout at the end of The Stolen Earth, since we knew Tennant was leaving but we didn't know when.

There's still not much reason for them to do it, since a new Doctor is such a huge publicity thing, but it wouldn't be too tough to pull off as far as production goes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Casting the new Doctor in secret and revealing him "live" on tv would be the ultimate Doctor Who trick for Moffat to pull. He's managed to do a lot of other things on the fan/producer bucket list, including run the 50th, get a new regeneration cycle, etc. It just might be possible, if they cast the person at the same time they did the last casting, had the sign an NDA (not an NA or EDA of course) and basically told them "be ready to free up your schedule in 3 years."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Casting the new Doctor in secret and revealing him "live" on tv would be the ultimate Doctor Who trick for Moffat to pull. He's managed to do a lot of other things on the fan/producer bucket list, including run the 50th, get a new regeneration cycle, etc. It just might be possible, if they cast the person at the same time they did the last casting, had the sign an NDA (not an NA or EDA of course) and basically told them "be ready to free up your schedule in 3 years."

Imagine if news of Capaldi's casting hadn't been made public and the first we knew of him had been, "NO, SIR! ALL THIRTEEN!" :allears:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I just watched Genesis of the Daleks for the first time. I.. really hope they don't gently caress with it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Imagine if news of Capaldi's casting hadn't been made public and the first we knew of him had been, "NO, SIR! ALL THIRTEEN!" :allears:

This is basically why I want them to pull it off, eventually. It would especially work with Capaldi, as he seems to like to wave his regeneration dick in the face of danger. Just have someone finally call him on it, mid-sentence, no build-up from anyone. The internet would explode. And if they made the new Doctor unusual (black, female, ginger) to boot? Oh man.

Also, between series 8 going on Netflix and this thread coming alive again I'm finally finishing it out. I stopped after the heist episode, feeling like it had mostly been poo poo, but pretty much literally the episode right after that felt so much better and I've been loving the last half. I've still got the finale to do, though I know how it goes (if I cared about spoilers I wouldn't have the spoiler thread marked).

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Espilae posted:

I just watched Genesis of the Daleks for the first time. I.. really hope they don't gently caress with it.

You do realize that even if that Davros episode happens the way it's been rumored, Genesis will still exist, and it won't be illegal to watch or even enjoy it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TL posted:

You do realize that even if that Davros episode happens the way it's been rumored, Genesis will still exist, and it won't be illegal to watch or even enjoy it.

There's still that mild disappointment that'd seep in though, like when you play the first Mass Effect game and are enjoying it but then remember "Oh yeah, this all leads to a massive pile of poo poo."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

There's still that mild disappointment that'd seep in though, like when you play the first Mass Effect game and are enjoying it but then remember "Oh yeah, this all leads to a massive pile of poo poo."

The first Mass Effect game was also pretty bad though (unless you only play the main story and even then the guns are weird).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I like the way the guns work in the first Mass Effect game

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

The first Mass Effect game was also pretty bad though (unless you only play the main story and even then the guns are weird).

Amusingly that's all I did. The guns were weird, but I mainly used the shotgun so that wasn't too bad.

I wanted to get to ME2 as fast as possible because I had gotten the game late, before ME3 came out, and I had seen run throughs of the first ME. So I blazed through it, got to ME2, enjoyed that a fair bit, and was really looking forward to ME3

God I wanted that game to be good. Got it first day, was enjoying it immensely early on, then the Wrex mission was over and the cracks started to show and it all fell apart.

Basically my point stands. If you take something great and then add on something that's not great, it DOES weigh down the original just through baggage. Not in any major way, but there will always be that thought in the back of your head that 'oh yeah, this gets wrecked later.'

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The guns were the best part of ME1. Anyone who didn't spec themselves into an indestructible pistol turret missed out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

This is a really dumb way to go about things. You can still enjoy Empire Strikes Back without brooding over Attack of the Clones and you can still enjoy Halo 1 even though Halo 4 continues to exist. I don't understand why nerds let single entries destroy entire franchises for them. The originals still exist!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is a really dumb way to go about things. You can still enjoy Empire Strikes Back without brooding over Attack of the Clones and you can still enjoy Halo 1 even though Halo 4 continues to exist. I don't understand why nerds let single entries destroy entire franchises for them. The originals still exist!

This is the only thought that consoled me after wasting three bucks on Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Never said it did?

I think you're over blowing what I said.

Plus let's be honest- It just sounds like a bad idea. Why would we want more bad episodes of Who?

We have enough of those already

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Espilae posted:

Canon is in the eye of the beholder. If the episode does not do right by that classic Genesis then poof, never happened. I do the same for the Star Wars prequels. Don't care for Star Wars except for Empire Strikes Back, but there's no way I'm gonna let those schlock films change how I feel about it. Darth Vader never pod-raced.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 20, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Plus let's be honest- It just sounds like a bad idea. Why would we want more bad episodes of Who?

The guy who wants to kill the Doctor mid-episode and replace him with a black lesbian with bright red clown hair because it will shock fans, that's who.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Clara wakes up at the end of the episode: "I had the strangest dream!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

The tangerine on her windowsill at the end of "Last Christmas" was obviously meant to be a massive Chekhov's gun.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

Colin Baker is taking a shower in the other room.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TL posted:

Also, to be absolutely fair to Moffat, Genesis has already been retconned out of existence, by RTD, during the Time War. Hell, the origin of the Daleks had probably been rewritten 854 times by the time it was all said and done.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Also, anything that might get more casual fans to check out Genesis of the Daleks has got to be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Astroman posted:

Also, to be absolutely fair to Moffat, Genesis has already been retconned out of existence, by RTD, during the Time War. Hell, the origin of the Daleks had probably been rewritten 854 times by the time it was all said and done.

Genesis of the Daleks was retconned into being one of the opening salvos of the Time War.

• Locked thread