Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Okay, this is getting stupid.

On one hand, we have a camp that believes that modding games that they know and love to provide a similar but different experience is alright. I remember hearing about stories of people who knew FFT inside and out enough to have PvP matches on GameFAQs boards. You know what? It's alright for someone to love a game and specialize in it, much like playing a favorite instrument for a long time.

In the other camp, we have believers of leaving games as-is, but expanding a library of experiences, so you can get a more robust idea of what is good. On a personal note, Earthbound was my all-time favorite game until I played the Shadow Hearts series.

Either way is good. I'm more in the latter ideology, but I can totally understand and commend the former's intent.

Is this what the general argument is?

EDIT:

Back on topic, I really like Lindblum. As far as it feels, it just dwarfs every other city in the game for sheer scope, and how much there is to really look at just emphasizes that.

Magic Fanatic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

eating only apples posted:

"I have played this game to death. I know it inside out. It would be pretty fun if it were more of a challenge to me."

Is that acc-ep-ta-ble to you or are you going to continue being con-des-cend-ing?

Huh. So the thought of "I have played this game to death, maybe I should leave it alone for a while" just never pops up, then? Or even "I am a master at this game, and that's good enough for me"? (In all seriousness, no, I really don't grok obsessive personalities.)

I just mi-ght, as I am ca-pa-ble of it. Some-times it is e-ven fun. :cheeky:

Edit: yes, to be on topic, though, how much left do you have of Lindblum, Mega? I haven't had the chance to play the game in a few years, but I remember plot-wise and exploration-wise, the place is sodding huge. Like, Midgar might be physically larger, but Lindblum had a ton more life, places to explore, and people to talk to, huge.

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 20, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's weird because while Lindblum is by virtue bigger, I've always felt that Alexandria dwarfs it practically. It might be because of perspective; Alexandaria's main plaza is seen in a top-down view, while Lindblum's is a left-to-right view that you're just dashing through to get to the shopping section. Alexandria Castle also feels bigger than Lindblum's, which might contribute to it as well.

That said, thinking of the South Gate cinematic does remind me that, yes, Lindblum is absolutely massive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The plan is two more updates. Of course, when I'll be able to update next is another matter since I'm in the middle of moving and my graphics card is giving me problems, plus I'm stuck on my phone for Internet for the next couple days at least. That and I've got a busy weekend coming up.

So it'll probably be at least next week before the next update.

e: \/ It ranks as "Being insane."

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

Huh. So the thought of "I have played this game to death, maybe I should leave it alone for a while" just never pops up, then? Or even "I am a master at this game, and that's good enough for me"? (In all seriousness, no, I really don't grok obsessive personalities.)
if 'playing this game a few times' counts as obsessive then where does 'screenshotting and transcribing every single part of the game and posting it on the internet' rank?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Poulpe posted:

Google "FF6 Brave New World" :v:
There was an LP of it earlier this year- everybody's stats and roles are rebalanced (characters can only equip certain espers!) and it's actually pretty frustrating and tough at times. Definitely gets into "you need to know spirit is important on Sabin now or he's useless" territory, though.

Nerds are going to mod their favorite games to make them harder :shrug:

Edit: Oh! It was actually by Mega64! Whodathunkit!

I liked the idea of making FF6 tougher (because honestly, I could probably beat vanilla FF6 in my sleep at this point), but BNW was a bit over-the-top for me. Harder enemies is one thing, but making it so that bosses are practically impossible without relying heavily on, say, Sap status (I'm looking at you, Dadaluma) was close to infuriating. Don't have a character that can inflict Sap? gently caress you, back to Narshe with ye. And good luck with more running because if you gain levels now you're going to be gimped to hell when you start getting Espers! :argh:

I'm not a proponent of low-level playing, if you can't tell. Avoiding overleveling, sure, that I can handle, but I tend to have terrible RNG luck and an incredible lack of patience, so I like my levels to be at least around the recommended average, and usually don't run from fights unless I'm really up a creek or the enemies are trivial.

Basically, what I want out of FF6 is a middle ground between vanilla and BNW, something that makes things actually tougher without forcing you to rely on certain characters/strategies and lets you have a little bit of leeway for leveling early.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bufuman posted:

I liked the idea of making FF6 tougher (because honestly, I could probably beat vanilla FF6 in my sleep at this point), but BNW was a bit over-the-top for me. Harder enemies is one thing, but making it so that bosses are practically impossible without relying heavily on, say, Sap status (I'm looking at you, Dadaluma) was close to infuriating. Don't have a character that can inflict Sap? gently caress you, back to Narshe with ye. And good luck with more running because if you gain levels now you're going to be gimped to hell when you start getting Espers! :argh:

I'm not a proponent of low-level playing, if you can't tell. Avoiding overleveling, sure, that I can handle, but I tend to have terrible RNG luck and an incredible lack of patience, so I like my levels to be at least around the recommended average, and usually don't run from fights unless I'm really up a creek or the enemies are trivial.

Basically, what I want out of FF6 is a middle ground between vanilla and BNW, something that makes things actually tougher without forcing you to rely on certain characters/strategies and lets you have a little bit of leeway for leveling early.

I get that. There's a difference between making things harder, or more balanced, and turning every single fight into a puzzle (Lookin' at you, Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3).

EDIT: Speaking about Lindblum, it's also the closest thing you get to a "home base" in this game. You see a lot of Lindblum throughout the game.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 20, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bufuman posted:

I remember Dadaluma being rather frustrating, yeah, but mostly BNW is a rebalance and not a "hard mod." It's actually pretty reasonable for the most part. The mod was also designed expecting you to level up before getting espers, and enemy XP was balanced so that would it be very difficult to pass certain levels before getting them. So it was really hard to "gimp" yourself. Also, the latest versions managed to separate character levels from esper levels, so you could hit max character level before getting the espers, then level them up and still get their stat bonuses.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Schwartzcough posted:

I remember Dadaluma being rather frustrating, yeah, but mostly BNW is a rebalance and not a "hard mod." It's actually pretty reasonable for the most part. The mod was also designed expecting you to level up before getting espers, and enemy XP was balanced so that would it be very difficult to pass certain levels before getting them. So it was really hard to "gimp" yourself. Also, the latest versions managed to separate character levels from esper levels, so you could hit max character level before getting the espers, then level them up and still get their stat bonuses.

I haven't actually seen what they've done since Mega64 LP'd it. That last bit is a fascinating feature and I will be sure to look into it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, the latest versions managed to separate character levels from esper levels, so you could hit max character level before getting the espers, then level them up and still get their stat bonuses.

How the hell did they even manage this? They might as well be making their own game at this point.

Does it still have the dumb script changes?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fister Roboto posted:

How the hell did they even manage this? They might as well be making their own game at this point.

Does it still have the dumb script changes?

Oh yeah, it did have some really lousy dialog. Most notably Kefka and Relm cursing worse than any trucker (the weird thing is that everybody bitched about Kefka doing it but nobody said a word about Relm. I mean, if one of them's going to drop F-bombs and C-bombs everywhere, you'd think it'd be the genocidal psychopath).

Then again, you can't expect a guy that admitted to reading clop (right on this very forum, in fact! It happened in Mega's LP! Dude got banned for exactly that, too, I believe) to be a good decision-maker.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

I haven't actually seen what they've done since Mega64 LP'd it. That last bit is a fascinating feature and I will be sure to look into it.

That's the biggest change, honestly.

Enemies from Atma onward still have about 10 times more HP than they need to have because doing the exact same thing for twenty minutes with no variance is more "balanced" than actually being creative with your skill usage.

Dialogue has been toned down to minor swears at the absolute harshest, with exception of Relm who still talks like a goon. There's still way more memes in the text than there needs to be - though aside from Cyan, they stay out of the main plot text at least. Of course, those memes are all like three to five years old now, too.

And because maturity and romhackers go hand in hand, the hacker released a "clean language" version which basically mocks you constantly for playing a baby version for babies.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 20, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

KataraniSword posted:

And because maturity and romhackers go hand in hand, the hacker released a "clean language" version which basically mocks you constantly for playing a baby version for babies.
It's not just the hackers, honestly. That sort of thing is a big part of fan translation culture.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

KataraniSword posted:

That's the biggest change, honestly.

Enemies from Atma onward still have about 10 times more HP than they need to have because doing the exact same thing for twenty minutes with no variance is more "balanced" than actually being creative with your skill usage.

Ahhh Atma. That fight took like an half hour, and on my first try a confused teammate cast reraise on him, and when he "died" he was restored to full hp :shepicide:
The joys of trying mods

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Bad Seafood posted:

It's not just the hackers, honestly. That sort of thing is a big part of fan translation culture.

Stuff like that is why sometimes, yes, I do occasionally deliberately "not understand" it. Not to stick to my original point out of stubbornness as I've been accused of, but because sometimes, it's the only way to stop myself from flipping out and choking a bitch. Also, y'know - :effort:.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I used to be super anal about trying to steal / draw / grind everything in every FF until I realized that I had significantly more fun and was much more likely to actually finish the game if I didn't do all that poo poo and just went with what I stumbled across plus reasonable side quests. If I get an itch to replay something that's when I go for more of the secrets. So much more enjoyable.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's only 2 steals I go out of my way for whenever I replay these days. The Mage Masher from the first fight, and the rare steal from the first boss after Freya joins, simply because it's a long overdue upgrade and makes the next couple sections much easier.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I'm the kind of guy who'll steal everything that ain't nailed down. If you've got it, it's mine. Except for what Big Green is carrying. He can keep it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I. Steal. EVERYTHING. Including the stuff that's nailed down. Or on fire. I might hesitate if it's nailed down AND on fire though.

Years and years of JRPG grinding have left me well-suited to the task requiring mountainous levels of patience. Even Big Green's rarest stuff. I WILL dedicate hours to the task if need be.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Steal the heat from the fire and steal the nails. :colbert:

I've gotten lucky and stolen Big Green's rare item in about five minutes, once. I never played through the game again after that, though, because I knew the law of averages would ensure my next attempt would take five hours or so just to balance out that good fortune. :shepicide:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I used to be super anal about trying to steal / draw / grind everything in every FF until I realized that I had significantly more fun and was much more likely to actually finish the game if I didn't do all that poo poo and just went with what I stumbled across plus reasonable side quests. If I get an itch to replay something that's when I go for more of the secrets. So much more enjoyable.

Only system that makes me angry enough to not play through the game again is FF8. Why attach stats to drawn magic? It makes me want to never, ever use magic because my stats will then go down and I'll have to re-draw it all over again. Rest of it I can either ignore or grind at my leisure.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sum Mors posted:

Only system that makes me angry enough to not play through the game again is FF8. Why attach stats to drawn magic? It makes me want to never, ever use magic because my stats will then go down and I'll have to re-draw it all over again. Rest of it I can either ignore or grind at my leisure.

Just refine all your spells. Drawing is rarely useful in FF8 unless you hate the card game AND insist on keeping your level low so you never get any decent drops.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Just refine all your spells. Drawing is rarely useful in FF8 unless you hate the card game AND insist on keeping your level low so you never get any decent drops.

Pretty much this. Pass you SeeD exams, Level Quetzalcoatl's healing mag refine skill, buy cottages and BAM, You're pretty much god till you can start refining any of the other -aga spells in disk two or three.

Edit: VIII's system is the easiest to game if you know what spells max out what attribute or defense.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 21, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sum Mors posted:

That's why you Slots/Angel Wing! All the magic, all the RNG.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Honestly, I'm TRYING to go for all the boss steals I possibly can. Except Jolly green Jackass' rare steal when I looked up what the character wielding it could learn from it. I had like TWO of those spells already in different items. Miss "Timed Battle's" rare steal at the end of Disk 1 was just too much work. She can have like 30 total actions in the fight before giving your party the finger and ending it outright and honestly, considering the ONE party member that benefits from it is gone for about a full disk worth of content anyways.

I'd go on with my rant in the spoilers, but it covers too much ground we haven't even seen yet :v:

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I love how infamous that one boss is for its rare steal, especially since its not even a unique item. They could have gone all FF5 on the steals if they wanted to, thank the crystals they didn't.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's not a particularly memorable boss otherwise either.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pretty much. It's a filler boss for something of a filler area. I don't even remember what that rare steal is since I tended to autopilot when fighting him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got the item without too much trouble in spite of having to fight the boss numerous times. He's actually pretty hard in the mod I played. Granted, I was an idiot and didn't fully understand ATB mechanics. Gotta keep a window open so as to avoid your Auto-Float wearing off.

I actually had a harder time with a couple steals near the end of Disk 3. One I just had to give up on because the mod makes the boss impossible if you take too long.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can talk about that boss when I get there. No need for another page filled with black bars.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nice to see someone overcome OCD in this thread. For once. :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Spatial posted:

Nice to see someone overcome OCD in this thread. For once. :colbert:

I too used to be OCD and needed to grind to have everything the second I hit a town/got a new job/spell to level, or whatever. Then I recentally replayed the games and realized they're a lot more fun if you don't do that grindy poo poo, even if I do have a high tolerance for it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So many lives lost every year, especially because of him...
Hardly. The festival is a test of manhood. I tingle with excitement every year.

Might want to keep that to yourself, buddy.

Very good. Now we wait for the signal.

What!? We haven't even received the minister's authorization!
We believe that they're going to release "him" any minute.
Alright, release the mus before they let him loose.

Alright. Standby!

Ha ha ha! What power!
Hey, make him stop! It's too early to let him loose!
How? I have no control over him.
Dammit!

This is the big creature everyone's freaking out about.

And this is the big creature everyone's freaking out about bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball.

And this is the big creature everyone's freaking out about being shot out of his holding cell like a bullet.

I haven't done enough goofy GIFs lately.

-----

Okay...

Don't know how Freya got in with the rest of them, but okay.

Alright, let's begin.

So the Festival of the Hunt is a mandatory mini-game of sorts where you run around fighting for points. The big thing is that there's more going on here than "Zidane wins/loses." Freya for instance can win as well, and you still get the Master Hunter key item.

Not only that, but each character has a different reward.

Zidane, for instance, gets 5000 Gil if he wins. Which wouldn't be bad if I weren't going to get 70k gil from the Wrist exploit in the next update. Also technically he can win a date with Dagger but all it leads to is a couple throwaway lines further in the game and the date never actually happens.

Freya gets an accessory that gives her a nice ability early. You can get this accessory later, and it does cost less than 5k gil making Zidane's reward technically the most profitable, but letting Freya win is definitely a solid idea as well.

I thought you would do pretty well, so I signed you up. Don't worry. With your black magic, it'll be a piece of cake.
I...I don't know...
That was very inconsiderate of you, Zidane.
Oh!

Dagger's reaction is the best thing.

(SHHH! Keep it down!)
What was that!? You just mentioned the princess.

It's nothing, right, Vivi?
Y-Yeah.
So, what would you like for your reward?

Vivi's reward is a loving card. Not even a one-of-a-kind card, just a boring-rear end card for a card game I plan on never touching again except for one instance.

Even the guard isn't buying it. The only reason to let Vivi win is to have the little guy win one for once, and even that's a bit difficult to do compared to the other two.

The festival will begin shortly. You all have different starting points. Hunter Zidane will start in the Theater District, Hunter Freya will start in the Industrial District, and Hunter Vivi will start in the Business District.

And with that, everyone heads off to their starting spots.

We just need to go to the air cab to start the festival.

-----

:siren: :siren:

Oh, hush. We get a great view from here.
Hmm, you're right. I can see the entire town.

I can't believe it. He seemed reluctant earlier.

COME ON, VIVI!!!

No! Master Vivi!

YOU CAN'T WIN JUST BY RUNNING! A GOOD OFFENSE IS THE BEST DEFENSE! ATTACK!

NOW'S YOUR CHANCE! ONE MORE TIME!

Once we get off the cab, we have twelve minutes to navigate the three parts of Lindblum and kill as many monsters as we can.

And, what a surprise, people are getting attacked by monsters.

Mus take more than a hit and are a bit annoying, but you only fight one monster at a time and you have to try to die from them.

So it doesn't take much to take them out.

I almost got devoured by one.

Each monster gets a certain number of points, which I think is a bit random but generally enough to keep you competitive. You don't get EXP, AP, or Gil from these fights.

Next is the Trick Sparrow. You can take it out in one hit.

There are other competitors, of course, and they can end up in the lead as well. As long as you're regularly killing monsters, you should be fine.

Fangs are the third enemy, and are just as fragile if you're using your support abilities.

After this Trick Sparrow, we've cleared out the Theater District. We also got screwed for points on that one and end up getting passed by Vivi.

He looks a little scared out there, but he's steadily raising his score.

These guys will comment on whoever is currently leading.

Next up, the Industrial District!

I've probably missed a few in each section. Oh well.

It doesn't help I waste a lot of time getting into Trance against a freaking Mu.

Which gives Freya a chance to pass me up.

After this guy, I head back to go to the Business District. Freya's in the lead now, so if we talk to an attendant...

Freya's leading right now. She's a dragon knight from Burmecia. Now, she can fight! Hell, I saw some monsters run away from her.

There's no monsters in the first couple screens. There is a key thing to this area, though. We don't want to go to the area with all the shops until it's 4:30 or less on the clock, as that's when the boss triggers there.

drat, you're ugly!

Okay, but I get to finish him! I've got a date with Dagger on the line!
...You're ridiculous. Fine. As you wish.

This is Zaghnol. He's worth a ton of points compared to the other monsters.

This is our first battle with Freya. Dragon is just various dragoon-related skills she can learn. Jump, well...

She jumps. If you've seen a FF game before, you know how Dragoons work.

Anyway, this guy has some nasty physicals.

And as you probably suspect, he also has some steals. This is his Common one.

This is decent damage, though Zidane's slightly better with his insane gear and all.

Zaghnol can electrocute himself as well, which lets him use Thunder as an attack. Pretty much in line with Heave when single-target.

Eventually I grab the other steal, a weapon we can't use quite yet. Soon, though.

The trick to this fight is that Zidane has to land the killing blow to end the fight. As long as Zidane is alive, Freya cannot kill the Zaghnol. If you KO Zidane though, then Freya can kill him and get the points.

Alternatively, you can just let them both get KOed and hope Vivi gets the win.

Anyway, eventually Zidane lands the killing blow.

But a wee bit too late to get the points. Yep, I was angling for a Freya win all along and kinda lucked out with it in the end. I want the accessory more, plus it makes more thematic sense for the dragoon who've been training her butt off for this to win over the guy who's only in it to get laid. Plus it's fun seeing Zidane come so close only to lose on a technicality.

Next time, Freya gets her reward and we get our next plot trigger. We're almost out of Lindblum!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best possible outcome.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best possible outcome.

I agree. I didn't actually know Zidane needed to be dead for Freya to kill it. I've always just not fought Zaghnol. I think Freya's the default winner.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hunter's Chance is a great track, Steiner's cheering for Vivi is adorable and this entire competition is hilariously dumb and incredibly unsafe.

GREAT SCOTT!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure Freya will always win by default if you don't hunt down the Zaghnol.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

------

It doesn't help I waste a lot of time getting into Trance against a freaking Mu.

I saw it coming a mile away. I played too much of this game to not see the gigantic pile of despair coming.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Agreeing that Hunter's Chance is a fantastic track and Steiner being a secret sports fan is pretty rad.

Also the points aren't semi-random, each individual creature you face has a predetermined set value. That first Fang always gives 10 points, for instance.

You also get a differing letter from one of the Moogles later on depending on who wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I love how Steiner is really only there to cheer the princess up and then he totally gets into the contest.

I also didn't know that Freya can't kill the Zaghnol if Zidane is alive. All those times I had to make her stop attacking just seems so wasteful now. :negative:

• Locked thread