Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Thinking it's about taxes when it's about BEING ABLE TO COMMIT GANG MURDER WITH IMPUNITY is really missing the elephant in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

He needs at least 3 Pulitzers. The Teddy Bear is what makes it really hit me in the gut.:smithicide:

Oh, and since some people in this thread still have their sanity, welcome to hell:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/world/middleeast/isis-enshrines-a-theology-of-rape.html
Unironic Trigger Warning here, seriously, if you have a weak stomach, don't read either of these things.

One 34-year-old Yazidi woman, who was bought and repeatedly raped by a Saudi fighter in the Syrian city of Shadadi, described how she fared better than the second slave in the household — a 12-year-old girl who was raped for days on end despite heavy bleeding.

“He destroyed her body. She was badly infected. The fighter kept coming and asking me, ‘Why does she smell so bad?’ And I said, she has an infection on the inside, you need to take care of her,” the woman said.

Unmoved, he ignored the girl’s agony, continuing the ritual of praying before and after raping the child.

“I said to him, ‘She’s just a little girl,’ ” the older woman recalled. “And he answered: ‘No. She’s not a little girl. She’s a slave. And she knows exactly how to have sex.’ ’’

Fixed.:suicide:
ISIS seriously amazes me. Of course, other organizations have done all kinds of awful awful things, but ISIS are choosing their awful things so deliberately, knowing exactly what the effect on the media and stuff will be.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Wow, this is a gold mine.

quote:

In the letter, dated Oct. 15, 2001, Rall asked the department to consider dismissing Durr, whom he described as “an ill-tempered excuse for a police officer.”

Rall said Durr exhibited “vile rudeness.” He compared the officer unfavorably to Taliban fighters who he said had detained him briefly while he was on a reporting trip “near the Afghan war zone.”

I feel bad for all of the man hours the LA Times has had to sink into all of this, but Rall's pathological lying is really next-level.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man who do I side with? Ted Rall or LA cops??? Which is worse?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Why didn't they mention the documents that back up his claims? And they're talking to a police department for evidence that they ignored his claims. They did. I'm getting a cold sweat just from the notion that a national publication can dig in its heels in a way that makes Ted Rall look like the good guy. Ugh.

They could just say that his cartoons are lousy and he's unpleasant to work with instead of feeding the fire like that. This isn't rocket science.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

I get the appeal of doing a Weekend at Bernie's cartoon with a guy actually named Bernie, but Sanders propping up Hillary makes no sense as a metaphor. A Typical Ramirez Cartoon.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I get the appeal of doing a Weekend at Bernie's cartoon with a guy actually named Bernie, but Sanders propping up Hillary makes no sense as a metaphor. A Typical Ramirez Cartoon.

BERNIE WAS THE PERSON WHO WAS DEAD, RAMIREZ, YOU HACK

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Post 9-11 User posted:

Why didn't they mention the documents that back up his claims? And they're talking to a police department for evidence that they ignored his claims. They did. I'm getting a cold sweat just from the notion that a national publication can dig in its heels in a way that makes Ted Rall look like the good guy. Ugh.

They could just say that his cartoons are lousy and he's unpleasant to work with instead of feeding the fire like that. This isn't rocket science.

You have to have a near-pathalogical dislike of law enforcement to not recognize that the LAPD was in the right here. They didn't ignore Rall's claims. They investigated them and found that they were bullshit.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I just finished an assignment at work, time to reward myself with more DeviantArt

This is apparently in response to a viral video about street harassment, which I haven't seen. Good to see Alex L. doesn't exclusively criticize black women, I guess?

gently caress though, he's still a piece of poo poo. Evidently the idea of a woman being in a leadership position, in a country where there are countless women in positions of leadership at all levels of society, is too outrageous for his mind to comprehend.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 20, 2015

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Cpt.Americant posted:

I feel like that salamander reading a book in giant glasses would make excellent avatar material by someone more skilled that I for changing the title on the book. Maybe "how to not shitpost" or something.

Skinks are lizards, not salamanders! :colbert:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sandpuppy posted:

Skinks are lizards, not salamanders! :colbert:

Don't skinkshame, Sandpuppy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I like how conservative cartoonists keep showing the Democrat donkey reacting to Bernie the way they themselves would be reacting to Trump if they felt comfortable showing weakness. It's pretty classic projection.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wildeyes posted:

gently caress though, he's still a piece of poo poo. Evidently the idea of a woman being in a leadership position, in a country where there are countless women in positions of leadership at all levels of society, is too outrageous for his mind to comprehend.

It's also apparently a bad thing for men to be loving, empathetic, patient, gentle, or anything other then emotionless robots that provides money.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

fade5 posted:

He needs at least 3 Pulitzers. The Teddy Bear is what makes it really hit me in the gut.:smithicide:

Just quibbling here but (Ann) Telnaes is a she. Here's a couple of recent animated ones she did as well.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

German government agrees to latest Greek bailout.

Telegraph:

Labour leadership infighting, Putin in a bathysphere.

Independent:

Sebastian Coe elected head of IAAF

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... the disgraceful treatment of Afghan translators

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Mac on... NHS attempts to counter the smoking menace

'Not only e-cigs. The NHS is helping with my addiction to whiskey and wild, wild women.'

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

I love how this doesn't have any specific, actual criticism of Bernie, just "he's old and has messy hair, look how hunched over I drew him!"

Beeler, in his infinite wisdom, seems to have mixed Bernie Sanders up with Mike Gravel. Who, by the way, would also be a better candidate for President than 100% of the current GOP lineup.

And its criticism of Biden is apparently that... he's a fun guy to be around??

Internet Webguy posted:

The part of the candidates I don't remember will be played by Joe Biden.

I've been wanting to see Biden played by Henry Winkler in something since at least 2012.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

The way Ramirez draws everything clouds looks really bad. He doesn't seem to understand that they have form and volume, just like a more condensed liquid or solid object, which means they obey the same principles of highlight and shadow.

To be fair, I've only just recently started to figure out how to do it using only color, myself:

...but the technique I used prior, of explicitly drawing the shadow edges with ink, was at least adequate, and didn't look like it was just a random, unbalanced pattern splattered all over the background.

The other thing is, this is not an image Ramirez hatched entirely from his imagination: if it were, this would be somewhat excusable as mere incompetence. But instead, it's based on an existing reference picture, so there's no excuse for his clouds not closely matching the ones in the reference besides laziness.

Notice how he completely messed up the treatment of the atmosphere approaching the horizon. There should be a noticable gap between the bottom of the clouds and the surface of the ocean, with a subtle highlight running along the full length of the horizon which I presume is mist, and maybe one or two very small clouds, barely visible.

But in Ramirez's cartoon, the clouds are basically continuous sludge from the very edge of the horizon all the way up to the top of the image. They look more like steam in a steam room, floating no more than five feet away, than clouds many miles distant like you'd typically see from the vantage point of a tropical beach on a sunny day.

They aren't even close to the reference, and this becomes even more head-shaking when you realize the clouds in the reference aren't fully real, either: There's one cloud shape that's clearly been duplicated and only minorly retouched on the left-hand side of the image. So despite the original reference image having a mistake that should have been glaringly obvious to whoever's job it was to art direct it, Ramirez still not only failed to improve upon it, but his own treatment of it is actually worse.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 20, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

beepsandboops posted:

Wow, this is a gold mine.

I feel bad for all of the man hours the LA Times has had to sink into all of this, but Rall's pathological lying is really next-level.

How quickly did Rall escalate to calling the officers Hitlers? How many Hitlers did he call them?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

You'll be hearing from my lawyers, Ramirez :colbert:

(I made this back in May for another thread)

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Deep Hurting posted:

I love how this doesn't have any specific, actual criticism of Bernie, just "he's old and has messy hair, look how hunched over I drew him!"

Beeler, in his infinite wisdom, seems to have mixed Bernie Sanders up with Mike Gravel. Who, by the way, would also be a better candidate for President than 100% of the current GOP lineup.

And its criticism of Biden is apparently that... he's a fun guy to be around??

I've been wanting to see Biden played by Henry Winkler in something since at least 2012.

The way Ramirez draws everything clouds looks really bad. He doesn't seem to understand that they have form and volume, just like a more condensed liquid or solid object, which means they obey the same principles of highlight and shadow.

To be fair, I've only just recently started to figure out how to do it using only color, myself:

...but the technique I used prior, of explicitly drawing the shadow edges with ink, was at least adequate, and didn't look like it was just a random, unbalanced pattern splattered all over the background.

The other thing is, this is not an image Ramirez hatched entirely from his imagination: if it were, this would be somewhat excusable as mere incompetence. But instead, it's based on an existing reference picture, so there's no excuse for his clouds not closely matching the ones in the reference besides laziness.

Notice how he completely messed up the treatment of the atmosphere approaching the horizon. There should be a noticable gap between the bottom of the clouds and the surface of the ocean, with a subtle highlight running along the full length of the horizon which I presume is mist, and maybe one or two very small clouds, barely visible.

But in Ramirez's cartoon, the clouds are basically continuous sludge from the very edge of the horizon all the way up to the top of the image. They look more like steam in a steam room, floating no more than five feet away, than clouds many miles distant like you'd typically see from the vantage point of a tropical beach on a sunny day.

They aren't even close to the reference, and this becomes even more head-shaking when you realize the clouds in the reference aren't fully real, either: There's one cloud shape that's clearly been duplicated and only minorly retouched on the left-hand side of the image. So despite the original reference image having a mistake that should have been glaringly obvious to whoever's job it was to art direct it, Ramirez still not only failed to improve upon it, but his own treatment of it is actually worse.

My guess is Ramirez used the cloud tool in photoshop

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, everyone else seemed to get it but you.
Well, no, I didn't get it either, and other people probably didn't. Nobody wants to admit it and ask, because of this kind of response.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rorus Raz posted:

You'll be hearing from my lawyers, Ramirez :colbert:

Give this man two Pulitzers.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I used to follow your editorial cartoon thread years ago and then it was closed and then talking about you would earn a ban. Now it seems like you're fair game again?

When you used to post, you were freelance only in spite of some obvious talent and some insight. Has that changed, are you working in the field now? How has your career been between your threads a few years ago and now?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

iirc the updated deep hurting rule is don't be a jagoff or the rule will be re-instated.

I for one like Deep Hurting's work

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Skye takes the phrase "gently caress the police" way too literally.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

pwn posted:

Well, no, I didn't get it either, and other people probably didn't. Nobody wants to admit it and ask, because of this kind of response.

Yeah I didn't entirely grasp it either. Even with it explained to me it doesn't seem that obvious. But hey, don't let me disrupt someone's smug satisfaction at believing themselves smarter than others.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xanderkish posted:

Yeah I didn't entirely grasp it either. Even with it explained to me it doesn't seem that obvious. But hey, don't let me disrupt someone's smug satisfaction at believing themselves smarter than others.

If it's smug to understand basic visual metaphor (especially when pared with a quote directly dealing with the cartoon's subject at hand) then make my face the new :smug: emote.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:
Mail:
Mac on... the disgraceful treatment of Afghan translators

LOST IN TRANSLATION

That's a first, a Mac I like.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Why is she constantly squating? Did she catch a case of Eastern Europeanitis from Blowjob Russia?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Wildeyes posted:

This guy is the second coming of Bill Cosby (before all the rape stuff). So much pathos. I love it.

No mention of Damaged goods or Beta Bux. 6 out of MRA.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

colonel_korn posted:

Just quibbling here but (Ann) Telnaes is a she. Here's a couple of recent animated ones she did as well.

I'm sure glad that last one wasn't animated.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Why is she constantly squating? Did she catch a case of Eastern Europeanitis from Blowjob Russia?
A DbD edit with everyone in tracksuits would be a beautiful thing. :allears:

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Am I to understand - if I correctly follow this hamhanded attempt to cram an old song lyric into the punchline - that "GIT, GIRL!" isn't an automatic panty-dropper?

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Darkman Fanpage posted:

She was obviously cleaning the floor about 3 seconds before this conversation started.

Sandpuppy posted:

Am I to understand - if I correctly follow this hamhanded attempt to cram an old song lyric into the punchline - that "GIT, GIRL!" isn't an automatic panty-dropper?

You are to understand nothing.

KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.

And Rall responded! My favorite part is the awkwardness of calling them The Los Angeles “No One at the Times Will Talk About This” Times.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you bother using a photo of your sister as a Tinder pic when you're a pallet-swapped copy of the same vectored photograph

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The amount of injustice Ted Rall is feeling right now must be overwhelming.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

walgreenslatino posted:

Why would you bother using a photo of your sister as a Tinder pic when you're a pallet-swapped copy of the same vectored photograph

Because you're a stupid dumb liberal slut bitch, loving stupid oval office slut.

*gives Chris Muir 50 dollars*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wildeyes posted:

Why is it that dudes obsessed with MASCULINE POWER are always such whiny little bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

walgreenslatino posted:

Lieberals. They lie. They can't help it. No matter what they do they have to work dishonesty in there somewhere. I mean, duh.

I'm pretty sure it's also a "conservative women are hotter, libtards" thing on top of it.

• Locked thread