Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't think of a single reason to not let felons vote.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Jagchosis posted:

Maybe it should be the responsibility of the armed people serving the public and paid by public money to deescalate potentially violent situations and not violently attack civilians. Maybe.

I'm normally pretty skeptical of the police, but when you say things like that given the video, I think you actually do a disservice to the cause. She was "unconscious" on a stretcher when she jumped up and ran at the cops. There are plenty of videos of cops slamming restrained prisoners' heads into walls. Pick one of them to hang your hat on.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

1. You broke the social contract, so you don't get to help re-write it?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Radish posted:

So the rural areas they're incarcerated in can get extra representation at their expense? To systematically disenfranchise minorities by convicting them at disproportional rates? To reduce the influence of people who are generally seen as undesirable by the rest of society? There are plenty of reasons.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

blarzgh posted:

That's a pretty stupid reason.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I get the impression that people in this thread, when it really comes down to it, think that police overall are worse for society than criminals.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

That's a pretty stupid reason.

Why?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Rehabilitation is impossible, all felonies should be life sentences, got it

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Radish posted:

Well since the criminal justice system has a tendency to target people of color or enhance sentencing against them, it becomes easier to understand why more than a few people are ok with with felons never being able to vote.

Keep in mind I'm not trying say that your reasons are the same AR, it's just that alot of people feel that felons should not vote because they know 1) that police help "keep their heads down" [specifically target minorities like in Ferguson] and 2) that after you have been processed by the system and been through jail/court/what-not, you are probably going to vote more Blue/Left seeing that alot of prison reform/social reform & the like are going to be on the blue tickets.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You're the one saying we should remove voting rights from people which should have a pretty high standard. It should require a better reason than some nebulous "they did a bad thing so now they don't get to have a say in how they are governed" one especially after the justice system has deemed them fit to return to society.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

blarzgh posted:

I get the impression that people in this thread, when it really comes down to it, think that police overall are worse for society than criminals.

Why don't you quote those people, instead of referring to some nebulous "people in this thread"?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

blarzgh posted:

No we just hold police to a higher standard than criminals.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

blarzgh posted:

The police in this country? It can be a tough call sometimes, yes. I mean we did literally watch a guy get choked to death a year back with absolutely no repercussion. I think of we're seeing suspects dying on camera and nothing comes of it, we as a nation really don't have the moral high ground we seem to think we do.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

blarzgh posted:

We don't send people to prison for breaking the social contract. We send them to prison after (or before, if they're poor) convictions for breaking the law. Felonies such as anti-miscegenation, anti-sodomy, and anti-communist put in place to oppress undesirables. Or the crack laws which are still horribly biased against users based on the fact it is associated with black people that it's still 18 to 1 for some totally not racist reason. Felony disenfranchisement is the oppressors spiking the football after they already won the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

blarzgh posted:

At the absolute best, this is an argument for not letting felons vote while they are incarcerated. It should have no bearing on their rights after they are released. And that's at the absolute best.

It's still a weak argument.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

DARPA posted:

We don't send people to prison for breaking the social contract. We send them to prison after (or before, if they're poor) convictions for breaking the law.

The Law is our social contract. Like, the literal set of rules we agree with each other to abide by.

VitalSigns posted:

Rehabilitation is impossible, all felonies should be life sentences, got it

If everyone in Mississippi agrees that felons shouldn't get to vote, what's wrong with that.

Just because you wouldn't vote that way doesn't mean you think they shouldn't be allowed to, does it?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

At the absolute best, this is an argument for not letting felons vote while they are incarcerated. It should have no bearing on their rights after they are released. And that's at the absolute best.

It's still a weak argument.

You say, "its a weak argument" as if there is an argument to be had - like there is a 'right' answer.

Why can't a democracy decide that it's possible to forfeit the right to participate in certain respects?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Permanently stripping voting rights from people is bad government policy and is bad for democracy. Ex-convicts still have concerns that need to be addressed and taking away their say in government means there is no incentive for a politician to address problems that affect them.

2.5% of Americans are not going to elect Jeffrey Dahmer to office all by themselves or whatever people worried about felon voters seem to think. Disenfranchising them just makes it risky for politicians to advocate reform because they can't get votes from the people it's helping but can lose votes over it.

blarzgh posted:

If everyone in Mississippi agrees that felons shouldn't get to vote, what's wrong with that.

Just because you wouldn't vote that way doesn't mean you think they shouldn't be allowed to, does it?

So it is impossible to pass a bad law, is what you're saying, because if a law is passed it is by definition good.

Yeah we've certainly never had problems with that view in Mississippi. We've only had to amend the constitution multiple times to overrule the will of Mississippi voters on who should get to vote.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Many times the social contract being broken hinges on having the money and funds to prove that it wasn't. So this reason is pretty stupid considering you have cases like Martin Joel Erzinger http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/martin-erzinger-morgan-stanley-hit-and-run-_n_780294.html

quote:

"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession, and that entered into it," Hurlbert said. "When you're talking about restitution, you don't want to take away his ability to pay."

"We have talked with Mr. Haddon and we had their objections, but ultimately it's our call," Hurlbert said.
If you charge this guy with a felony it may hurt his chances to make money!

I could bring up the many cases of people getting prison time for less loss of life or injury like Marissa Alexander or Kalief Browder, but you are all about social contracts so you can probably tell us why they deserved to have their lives ruined but Whitey McRichyRich does not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blarzgh posted:

The Law is our social contract. Like, the literal set of rules we agree with each other to abide by.

Going to jail as punishment for crimes is actually upholding the social contract, not breaking it. You don't give up citizenship once incarcerated.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

blarzgh posted:

You ignored the issue of oppressed minorities losing their ability to threaten those in power, which I guess is why you hold your current position.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
. never thought it would happen to me.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

blarzgh posted:

Maybe we could let them vote but reduce the effect of their vote by some figure.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

Maybe we could let them vote but reduce the effect of their vote by some figure.

Lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Going to jail as punishment for crimes is actually upholding the social contract, not breaking it. You don't give up citizenship once incarcerated.

Your name is my second favorite in the thread.

I think my characterization is accurate. 'Criminal Justice' is the mechanism of the social contract for those who breach it.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Did you ever manage to find that proof you were talking about before concerning police and non-police being treated exactly the same by the justice system? I'd hate for you to have to leave the thread again before presenting it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone disagree that committing felonies is bad?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If I could make one small change to the constitution, I would make it so a state's representation in congress and therefore also the electoral college is proportional to the number of votes cast in the congressional elections, not on the number of adults in the state regardless of their legal or practical ability to actually vote.

In other words, actually uphold the intent of the fifteenth amendment. Then I would be cool with states disenfranchising anyone they want.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

If I could make one small change to the constitution, I would make it so a state's representation in congress and therefore also the electoral college is proportional to the number of votes cast in the congressional elections, not on the number of adults in the state regardless of their legal or practical ability to actually vote.

In other words, actually uphold the intent of the fifteenth amendment. Then I would be cool with states disenfranchising anyone they want.

Kinda hard to do with Single Member Districts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blarzgh posted:

I think my characterization is accurate. 'Criminal Justice' is the mechanism of the social contract for those who breach it.

Nah, it isn't. The social contract pertains more to social participation in broad terms with laws (and the obeyance thereof) being a point on a continuum. That's why Socrates stuck around and drank hemlock rather than being squirreled out of the city by his bros. Please elaborate on where Socrates was wrong in describing the social contract as such.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Does anyone disagree that committing felonies is bad?
Felonies are only bad when poor people do them. If rich people do them then a felony may not be a felony (if you read my example). The courts call it a "misunderstanding" and the Criminal...sorry Victim doesn't need the extra hardship of being processed for a crime like all the other rabble as long as they pinky swear to never do it again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

Kinda hard to do with Single Member Districts.

You do it during apportionment like the fifteenth fourteenth amendment (toothlessly) says.

"Oh sorry you lost so many reps, Mississippi, you've got ten years to bring those numbers up better luck next census!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3/5 of a vote?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

3/5 of a vote?

:thejoke:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I would also like an explanation of where Rousseau erred in outlining the social contract as submission to governance and a state monopoly on force in exchange for shared ownership through enfranchisement, or at the very least how serving a sentence is not keeping faith with the social contract as described by, well, every philosopher who has ever spoken on the subject directly or indirectly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

Did you ever manage to find that proof you were talking about before concerning police and non-police being treated exactly the same by the justice system? I'd hate for you to have to leave the thread again before presenting it.

He tents his pudgy fingers with a practiced undulation; cheeto dust wisping from the tips, like the smoke of the sick burn he was about to unleash.

"I've got him now..."

*eyes narrow from under fedora*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

blarzgh posted:

He tents his pudgy fingers with a practiced undulation; cheeto dust wisping from the tips, like the smoke of the sick burn he was about to unleash.

"I've got him now..."

*eyes narrow from under fedora*

So... that's a no. Good talk.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

I would also like an explanation of where Rousseau erred in outlining the social contract as submission to governance and a state monopoly on force in exchange for shared ownership through enfranchisement, or at the very least how serving a sentence is not keeping faith with the social contract as described by, well, every philosopher who has ever spoken on the subject directly or indirectly.

I don't know what any of that means and I don't care. I just disagree with you that a democracy shouldn't be allowed to disenfranchise voters on the basis of a felony conviction.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blarzgh posted:

I don't know what any of that means and I don't care. I just disagree with you that a democracy shouldn't be allowed to disenfranchise voters on the basis of a felony conviction.

Right, I knew all of that to begin with. Why, though? Is it just arbitrary threadshitting disagreement? Or do you have some kind of rationale with which to discuss and/or debate this difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Raerlynn posted:

So... that's a no. Good talk.

There are always two. One to embody the power, the other to crave it.

• Locked thread