Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a cop posted:

The whole "The parasites can only create good memories" realization was really smart of Morty, so much so that it didn't even occur to Rick, I wonder what the deal is with that. If it's development that he's getting sharper or just another of the off-beat characteristics of the potentially-different-universe-smith-family. (His dad being gay/bi, mom being a raging alcoholic, Morty being smarter, Summer being...into raves? idk).

I think Morty has a higher "emotional intelligence" than Rick, who lacks the introspective ability to make such a deduction on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Pakled posted:

I think the smart seed things were just a one-time thing. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Morty's adventures with Rick have left him more, not necessarily intelligent, but savvy.

I didn't mean to imply that they did make him (permanently) smarter. I was only referring to that one episode where Beth and Jerry got that impression which led to the decisions that Rick could stay and Morty could hang out with him as he was a good influence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sudo Echo posted:

Rick and Morty

Is this yours? If It is, I saw it on instagram, and promptly deleted my WIP for the contest and started over. It's weird as gently caress, but it owns. It owns bones.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Applewhite posted:

I think Morty has a higher "emotional intelligence" than Rick, who lacks the introspective ability to make such a deduction on his own.

But he was also willing to murder Rick!!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

tarlibone posted:

I think the main reasons she lets Rick take Morty everywhere are 1) she does know he's a genius, and 2) she doesn't want to upset him because he might leave again. I mean, for whatever reason, she really wants him in her life. She was even making excuses for him when she discovered his secret subterranean lair and the alien monster held captive within. A reasonable person would start eviction proceedings. She simply assumed Rick was trying to cure his space AIDS. (Which he was, but that's beside the point.)
Yeah, even Jerry called her out on that in their argument:

Jerry: You don't support this family!! All you care about is yourself!!
Beth: You think supporting the family is about supporting you emotionally, but you're unsupportable!
Beth: Because it's never enough, Jerry!! And there'll never be enough support to satisfy you...
Jerry: You've got two children being dragged across the cosmos by your dangerously ill father, and you force me to watch it happen because you'd rather lose them and lose me than lose HIM!?
Beth: ...and you don't even know what it's like to be afraid of losing anything because you cling and you cling!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I know at least some form of staff posts here. I'm told this article is way overblown/clickbait. There's some people in the anonymous comments that say as much, and I remember a thread here when it happened but I can't find it.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 19, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fishstick posted:

I know at least some form of staff posts here. I'm told this article is way overblown/clickbait. There's some people in the anonymous comments that say as much, and I remember a thread here when it happened but I can't find it.

A goon who works on the show had this to say about the issue. So yeah, that article is overblown.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Pakled posted:

A goon who works on the show had this to say about the issue. So yeah, that article is overblown.

That is exactly the thread/post i was looking to find. Thanks

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

this was my all time favorite prop of the episode. I wanted rick to have a HUGE rocket launcher type weapon. its got double barrels, trigger guards and tons of lights!. I wanted it to have a video game epic’ness to it. I felt super bad for the story board artists that had to draw this. I know it was too complicated. So i drew as many angles as possible to lighten the work load of the animators.

Did you guys See all of Ricks Hidden Weapons? Here is a bunch of my concepts I drew for our characters to use in episode 4

Check out these blast shields. I got to design them! The first one is the concept art I made and then here’s how it appears in the episode.. Andrew Delange did the final clean for them and they look amazing.

You guys probably didn’t notice this, but this was sort of the one time I got to pay homage to something I really enjoy and have it go into the show. The Evil Nazi in the submarine wants to bring Death to America with the Scepter of Rah Gu Bah’ba, Its supposed to be powerful and ancient so I wanted to base it off of one my my favorite World Of Warcraft Weapons. Lok’amir Il Romanthis. It was a magical staff that was very difficult to obtain around the time of Vanilla WoW, so only some players would recognize it. Obviously the original blizzard design was mostly a jumping off point. Warcraft used to be a huge part of my life back in high school and inspired me in a sort of round about way to pursue drawing as a career.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Those weapons seem very TF2 inspired, that minigun and short barrel shotgun and some of the other pistols could probably make it in as a mod.

Typical posted:

Check out these blast shields. I got to design them! The first one is the concept art I made and then here’s how it appears in the episode.. Andrew Delange did the final clean for them and they look amazing.

I only just noticed one of the blast doors is overlapping the water hose.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Typical posted:

this was my all time favorite prop of the episode. I wanted rick to have a HUGE rocket launcher type weapon. its got double barrels, trigger guards and tons of lights!. I wanted it to have a video game epic’ness to it. I felt super bad for the story board artists that had to draw this. I know it was too complicated. So i drew as many angles as possible to lighten the work load of the animators.

Did you guys See all of Ricks Hidden Weapons? Here is a bunch of my concepts I drew for our characters to use in episode 4

You guys probably didn’t notice this, but this was sort of the one time I got to pay homage to something I really enjoy and have it go into the show. The Evil Nazi in the submarine wants to bring Death to America with the Scepter of Rah Gu Bah’ba, Its supposed to be powerful and ancient so I wanted to base it off of one my my favorite World Of Warcraft Weapons. Lok’amir Il Romanthis. It was a magical staff that was very difficult to obtain around the time of Vanilla WoW, so only some players would recognize it. Obviously the original blizzard design was mostly a jumping off point. Warcraft used to be a huge part of my life back in high school and inspired me in a sort of round about way to pursue drawing as a career.

The blast shields were some very slick tech and I loved the designs.
So I was noting earlier that the blast shields seem a lot more polished than Rick's usual style. In your mind do you think Rick built them himself or pay some alien to have them installed?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Pencilvester no

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

A friend I rarely get to hang with us coming
Over this weekend which means we'll have time to watch RV together for the first time in ages. I want to get her into Rick and Morty. What's a good 3-4
Episode sort of Greatest Hits I could use to get her hooked? Thinking This one, the Unity episode, Rick Potion 9 and Meeseeks and Destroy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Meeseeks and Destroy, Rick Potion Number 9, Rixty Minutes, and I'd probably go with Close Rickcounters of the Rick Kind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would love to spend my life drawing weapons for a dope cartoon. :(

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I loved the episode, but it almost seemed like Harmon and Roiland declared war on the animators. Typical, was there any pushback on the idea of having an episode with long sequences including, like, 50 on-screen original and individually designed characters? And then having them all fight and get turned into the parasite bodies with detailed animation as they writhed? Seems like the theoretically most difficult to animate concept possible.

Unrelated, all this talk of "Mr PB" keeps making me think I'm in the Bojack Horseman thread.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Meeseeks is a good episode but it is the one with Morty getting sexually assaulted, might want to warm up to that for a new viewer.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

Meeseeks is a good episode but it is the one with Morty getting sexually assaulted, might want to warm up to that for a new viewer.

:agreed:
Picked Meeseeks as the icebreaker episode trying to get my parents into the show, completely forgetting about the jellybean until it was too late.

The Sigerian Scanners one is my recommendation.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The first episode of the series had Morty cram a giant seed inside himself. It's kind of a recurring theme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Show them Love Potion #9. If they don't laugh at the ending, then the show isn't for them.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Yea I think the scammers one works, fun concept and nothing too shocking, good springboard into Love Potion and then Rixty and then go wherever you'd like?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

God you are so cool. Please keep posting these.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Most people actually start watching TV shows at the first episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Proposition Joe posted:

Most people actually start watching TV shows at the first episode.

There are some shows that I wouldn't start someone off on the first episode of if I was trying to get them into it, but Rick and Morty isn't one of them. Sure, the first episode isn't the best, but it's not like a lot of shows where the writers hadn't found a voice for the characters yet or something.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The number one complaint everyone had about the first episode was that Rick belched and slurred too much and they almost immediately toned it down for the following episodes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I was under the impression that Morty eventually becomes as smart as (or even smarter than) Rick. There have been a bunch of times where Morty comes up with the answer that Rick fails to see (most recently the only-positive-memories of the parasites. And in the first episode, remembering to use boots). There's also evil morty who manages to mind control a rick

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Awesome work on the gun designs. Loving that sci-fi MAC-10 below Beth's rifle. Rick also seems to have found some use for morningstars as there's a regular one sitting on his shelf too, if I remember right.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, I actually didn't watch the first season live because of the first few minutes of the pilot. "I don't feel like watching another stupid Adult Swim stoner cartoon" was my thought.

I was completely wrong, of course. First impressions are a hell of a thing.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah, I actually didn't watch the first season live because of the first few minutes of the pilot. "I don't feel like watching another stupid Adult Swim stoner cartoon" was my thought.

I was completely wrong, of course. First impressions are a hell of a thing.

I was stoned off my balls when a friend made me watch the pilot. I was sceptical during that intro scene, but was totally sold as soon as Rick took Morty to another dimension. The design of the alien world and Roiland's voice acting just blew my mind at that point.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

No she'd find that hilarious. I actually picked it partly for that.

Edit: I left out Rixty Minutes because I think she'd find it a little too lolrandom and it is, but in the best kind f way. Wanted to hit the really heavy and or darky twisted interpersonal poo poo eps.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
How can anyone hate the pilot and how Rick says this:

quote:

You’re young. You’ve got your whole life ahead of you, and your anal cavity is still taut, yet malleable. You got to do it for Grandpa, Morty. Y-you’ve got to put these seeds inside your butt.

Sure they toned down the slurring and burping but I think the pilot set the tone pretty well.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Talorat posted:

God you are so cool. Please keep posting these.

This. Forever. Artfforevrr.com 100 years of Typical and Art!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Love that gun on the bottom right; reminds me of the Bio Rifle from the Unreal Tournament games.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I loved the episode, but it almost seemed like Harmon and Roiland declared war on the animators. Typical, was there any pushback on the idea of having an episode with long sequences including, like, 50 on-screen original and individually designed characters? And then having them all fight and get turned into the parasite bodies with detailed animation as they writhed? Seems like the theoretically most difficult to animate concept possible.

Unrelated, all this talk of "Mr PB" keeps making me think I'm in the Bojack Horseman thread.

oh yes, it was very hard to animate all those characters at once. , but there are ways to cheat it. if you crop out feet that's a lot easier. how ever the animation company needed a lot of help. we had to do alot of the layouts in house. and draw the special poses for the large scenes in the animation program to save time for them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Typical posted:

oh yes, it was very hard to animate all those characters at once. , but there are ways to cheat it. if you crop out feet that's a lot easier. how ever the animation company needed a lot of help. we had to do alot of the layouts in house. and draw the special poses for the large scenes in the animation program to save time for them.

Well, you all killed it. Especially whoever did the animation on Beth's freakout at the end. I"m not sure I've ever seen total emotional collapse done better... Not sure that's a good thing, but it's certainly an accomplishment!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Is this yours? If It is, I saw it on instagram, and promptly deleted my WIP for the contest and started over. It's weird as gently caress, but it owns. It owns bones.

nah not mine, just dredged up from the internet

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wonder what memories Rick has that make him so attached to Pencilvester.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tarlibone posted:

Well, not so much implied as directly stated. We know that by Season 1, he'd been back in her life for one year after 20 years (IIRC) out of it.

Well, apart from that one time he hung out with toddler Morty:

a cop posted:

The whole "The parasites can only create good memories" realization was really smart of Morty, so much so that it didn't even occur to Rick, I wonder what the deal is with that.

My take was that Rick was completely off his game because Rick's thing is that he's always completely sure about his actions, even when he's wrong (like in Rick Potion Number 9 when he keeps loving up the potions). He pretty much never stops to think things through, he just does whatever he decides on because he knows it's going to be the correct thing. The parasites were loving with his memories so for once he couldn't trust that he was immediately right and that pulled the rug out from under him.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, apart from that one time he hung out with toddler Morty:

That could also just be him stopping in for an hour to congratulate his daughter on having a kid she actually wanted before stumbling back to his spaceship and flying off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Typical posted:

Do you have a favorite from among the episode's parasites?

• Locked thread