Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Have you power cycled your ATV? Sometimes that gets rid of weird behaviors like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kevyn posted:

Is Netflix being really slow for anyone else? For the past few days it seems to take several minutes for the movie to start after selecting it. It just sits on that loading icon for like 3-5 minutes.

Totally anecdotal: I had an issue with this, but it turned out to be the unblock-us netflix dns proxy I was using. Switched back to google DNS and it fixed everything.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Power cycling fixed the problem, thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys... random question. (Re: Netflix) My old-rear end in-laws are staying with us and I came downstairs to the cries of "Netflix is not working!" (Go outside you layabouts! Am I right?)

I see whenever it launches it takes me to a screen that says "Start your free trial month" or "Sign out of <the email address that is my iTunes/icloud address>"

The thing is, my account is not that address. I'm signed in on every other device at my normal email. That's where my account is.

Hitting Sign Out of <thatemailaddress> asks me if I'm sure then takes me back to the Apple TV dashboard. Launching Netflix again just brings me back to that Start Free Trial or sign out of <blah blah> screen.

Help?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Feenix posted:

Hey guys... random question. (Re: Netflix) My old-rear end in-laws are staying with us and I came downstairs to the cries of "Netflix is not working!" (Go outside you layabouts! Am I right?)

I see whenever it launches it takes me to a screen that says "Start your free trial month" or "Sign out of <the email address that is my iTunes/icloud address>"

The thing is, my account is not that address. I'm signed in on every other device at my normal email. That's where my account is.

Hitting Sign Out of <thatemailaddress> asks me if I'm sure then takes me back to the Apple TV dashboard. Launching Netflix again just brings me back to that Start Free Trial or sign out of <blah blah> screen.

Help?

You have to remove like everything

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22791

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ahh that sucks. Thank you though. Guess I'll have to do my Plex hack stuff all over again.
loving In-Laws...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it but latest report has Apple pushing ahead with a September debut of new AppleTV hardware. The Apple branded TV streaming subscription service will apparently wait until all the deals are signed. All the hardware details are reconfirmed: A8 processor, onboard storage, new remote with a touchpad, Siri support, and an App store/SDK.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it but latest report has Apple pushing ahead with a September debut of new AppleTV hardware. The Apple branded TV streaming subscription service will apparently wait until all the deals are signed. All the hardware details are reconfirmed: A8 processor, onboard storage, new remote with a touchpad, Siri support, and an App store/SDK.

Will buy as long as I can still do the Plex hack.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Will buy as long as I can still do the Plex hack.

If it's true that there will be an app store for it, hopefully no hack will be needed and you can just download a legit client application.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If it's true that there will be an app store for it, hopefully no hack will be needed and you can just download a legit client application.

Dear god that would be so swish. Even if I had to pay some stupid "beta" Pro access fee.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it

It's written by John Paczkowski, who's been doing solid reporting on Apple for years. Obviously there's always a chance it could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet against it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thwomp posted:

Buzzfeed is mainstream enough that it's probably a safe bet to guess that it's Apple PR acting as the "trusted source." Same as with the WSJ/NYT/big Apple writers with decades-old careers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Anyone sold their apple tv 2 lately? What kind of price should I be looking to get?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Anyone sold their apple tv 2 lately? What kind of price should I be looking to get?

I'll give you five bucks for it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Feenix posted:

Dear god that would be so swish. Even if I had to pay some stupid "beta" Pro access fee.

why not just get a fire tv?

if you're using plex for your media i don't understand what ties you to the apple ecosystem on the tv.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

I've got an eBay auction going right now. 2 days left and already at aud $190. Now would be a good time to sell if these rumors have any weight at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

sellouts posted:

why not just get a fire tv?

if you're using plex for your media i don't understand what ties you to the apple ecosystem on the tv.

I like how it works with everything else Apple I have. And in general I like the ATV interface and most of its features.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Feenix posted:

I like how it works with everything else Apple I have. And in general I like the ATV interface and most of its features.

How else does it tie into the apple stuff you have? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just got rid of my Apple TV specifically because it didn't tie into anything once I got plex (and it updated to be an AirPlay target)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep my Roku around for Plex, other than that all my viewing is on my AppleTV.

I might be tempted to switch more of my viewing to Roku but they absolutely refuse to implement an auto-off feature like my AppleTV has, so if I fall asleep with nothing playing my TV will never auto-off.

I suspect I might also be more tempted to switch to Roku if I had a more robust local library of videos. Right now I just have my Simpsons DVDs encoded, and ... that's pretty much it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sellouts posted:

How else does it tie into the apple stuff you have? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just got rid of my Apple TV specifically because it didn't tie into anything once I got plex (and it updated to be an AirPlay target)

I can't speak for him, but for me:

1. I can use my phone or app as a remote, so no need to ever think about that part.

2. I don't use Plex, but I do have all my crap on itunes with home sharing set up.

3. Apple Music stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

sellouts posted:

Honestly aside from AirPlay and the UI being familiar I don't have a rock-solid answer.

But also, in my (presently limited but at one time very researched) opinion, I felt like all the other options out there all did about the same thing, give or take...

Is this it true? Has there been a clear winner in the STB wars?

(Sincere question...)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I can't speak for him, but for me:

1. I can use my phone or app as a remote, so no need to ever think about that part.

2. I don't use Plex, but I do have all my crap on itunes with home sharing set up.

3. Apple Music stuff.

Cool -- I have a harmony smart hub for everything so I can already use my phone and I hate remotes on touchscreens that I have to look at. I never understood it personally but I can do it. Maybe it's similar to using my phone as a remote for Sonos, although most of that is set it and forget it playlist stuff. However yeah, without Plex, I completely get the draw to access the Apple ecosystem you have in your house

Feenix posted:

Honestly aside from AirPlay and the UI being familiar I don't have a rock-solid answer.

But also, in my (presently limited but at one time very researched) opinion, I felt like all the other options out there all did about the same thing, give or take...

Is this it true? Has there been a clear winner in the STB wars?

(Sincere question...)

Nah I don't think there has been a clear winner yet. I found AFTV to be v. fast in comparison to all ATVs but I don't believe the Plex app does Airplay yet (if ever). I hooked up my Mac Mini to my TV before AFTV was even a thing and that version of Plex Home Theatre does Airplay.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I have three AppleTVs and are all used for slightly different purposes.

The main one (and main purpose) is in the home theater, and that serves up all my media I have bought on the iTunes store (I don't use cable TV, so when shows I like air, I buy them and watch them from iTunes via ATV) , allows me to use Plex for those videos I don't get from iTunes / old stuff I've converted from old DVDs and such, and allows me to Airplay music and video from my laptop.

The bedroom ATV is much the same, but is mainly used as an Airplay device for music through the soundbar, but I occasionally watch an episode of Top Gear before bed.

The gaming room ATV is used almost exclusively for Airplaying maps and images for use during gaming sessions.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kenderama posted:

The gaming room ATV is used almost exclusively for Airplaying maps and images for use during gaming sessions.
Holy poo poo I never thought of doing this!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's genius.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Akuma posted:

Holy poo poo I never thought of doing this!

Originally we were going to use it to Airplay in our remote player from Florida, but we built him his own mac-mini telepresence unit and wired up a sound system for the table - so we returned the ATV to just screensharing / image sharing duty.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I still have an ATV2 kicking around that I figure would be best to sell before the new one arrives. If it's updated to the latest software upgrade, does that mean it can't be jailbroken? I plan on putting it on eBay (or maybe SA Mart first) advertising that it is an ATV2 and can be jailbroken, and I don't want to run into a situation where I get bad feedback or have to issue a refund if it actually can't be jailbroken.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I was thinking about purchasing an apple tv but I had a question. Am I able to stream live tv from apps like USA Now or from Watch ABC Family (or WatchABC)? I was trying to find out but it seemed like the most I can do is access their on demand content but not actually watch the live stream (even with a tv provider log in).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I still have an ATV2 kicking around that I figure would be best to sell before the new one arrives. If it's updated to the latest software upgrade, does that mean it can't be jailbroken? I plan on putting it on eBay (or maybe SA Mart first) advertising that it is an ATV2 and can be jailbroken, and I don't want to run into a situation where I get bad feedback or have to issue a refund if it actually can't be jailbroken.

Just run the tool and see if it can be downgraded. Almost positive you won't brick it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was thinking about purchasing an apple tv but I had a question. Am I able to stream live tv from apps like USA Now or from Watch ABC Family (or WatchABC)? I was trying to find out but it seemed like the most I can do is access their on demand content but not actually watch the live stream (even with a tv provider log in).

I'm not sure about your specific question since I don't use these particular apps, but I do need to point out that this is a terrible time to buy an Apple TV. It's expected to get it's first hardware update in years next month and the new model is supposed to include an app store.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Watch abc for sure enables you to watch live tv. But it's an app by app thing. Some do, some don't. The CNBC app has live watching enabled. Not sure about some others. I can check which ones have it later on when I'm in front of my tv.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That would be great!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here's a not-so-complete list of Apple TV channels that have live viewing enabled:

Watchespn
Watch ABC
Watch Disney/XD/Jr
Showtime
NBC Sports Live Extra
FX Now
CNBC
CNNgo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Here's a not-so-complete list of Apple TV channels that have live viewing enabled:

Watchespn
Watch ABC
Watch Disney/XD/Jr
Showtime
NBC Sports Live Extra
FX Now
CNBC
CNNgo

Monumentally dumb question, but I figured I should ask... for these channels on AppleTV, you need some kind of TV service... (comcast, etc... ) yes?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yes, although Showtime is a standalone service now like HBO Now. So that would be the only exception. Showtime also offers a free one month trial.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

As everyone said, wait and hang out for the hardware refresh, but for me you can really stream anything from your phone to the Apple TV. Worst case is you just tell it to mirror screen and it works fine. Not as convenient as chromecast as you can't use your phone while mirroring video, but it works.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

As everyone said, wait and hang out for the hardware refresh, but for me you can really stream anything from your phone to the Apple TV. Worst case is you just tell it to mirror screen and it works fine. Not as convenient as chromecast as you can't use your phone while mirroring video, but it works.

The bolded part isn't true across the board. It actually depends on the app. For instance, when I watch live streaming video through safari, once it's playing on the tv I can use any other app I want.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Content providers can and do disable Airplay streaming on their apps. Last time I checked, the following disable it: WatchTBS, WatchTNT, SyFy, USA Now, Watch TruTV, the Xfinity app.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Content providers can and do disable Airplay streaming on their apps. Last time I checked, the following disable it: WatchTBS, WatchTNT, SyFy, USA Now, Watch TruTV, the Xfinity app.

Watch TBS and Watch TNT were never completely unable to AirPlay, you just had to mirror them. The Xfinity app was completely blocked from AirPlay though.

However, Watch TNT can now be Airplayed without mirroring because I watched the PGA Championship last weekend through AirPlay on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Oh drat, I didn't realize they had the ability to block mirroring.

Mahoning, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that about AirPlay and apps like safari.

• Locked thread