Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to improve certain aspects of photography. For example, I've lived in the countryside of Panama for the past two years and my ability to capture the green around me in any sort of a decent way failed. I'm trying to search images to see if I can find people who've had success capturing scenes of almost pure green plants. I searched Flickr for various keywords and everything I've seen has been trash. Any suggestions for attempting to find decent photographers/photographs?

Braches (Cocle, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

huhu fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 20, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

first thing I noticed

ape
Jul 20, 2009

huhu posted:

people who've had success capturing scenes of almost pure green plants.

I like the way Steve McCurry does green stuff

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I wanna see more of that mountain

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
that last one has to be a composite

ape
Jul 20, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

that last one has to be a composite

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Holy gently caress.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why can't suburban Australia be that cool

Why cant anywhere in Australia be cool actually

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why can't suburban Australia be that cool

Why cant anywhere in Australia be cool actually

You are kidding right?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Google is saying that is a town in Yemen, in case anyone was wondering.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 20, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pukestain Pal posted:

You are kidding right?

No, apart from the touristy stuff you see in every ad of Australia ever, Australian mountains are short and landscapes are pretty average and repetitive. If you are good you can find stuff that looks alright in photos but in person theres not much here that matches the raw size of stuff overseas

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 20, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

No, apart from the touristy stuff you see in every ad of Australia ever, Australian mountains and landscapes are pretty average

I think the main issue with rad Australian landscapes is the lack of density. We have about ten really interesting landscapes across a country about the size of the USA. I was in the States recently and I was astounded by the fact that I could literally drive from the biggest tree on earth to the biggest hole in the ground in a day. And then there were about ten other really interesting sights within a few hours as well.

That said, I like the banality of the endless empty plains of Australia.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

elgarbo posted:

I think the main issue with rad Australian landscapes is the lack of density. We have about ten really interesting landscapes across a country about the size of the USA. I was in the States recently and I was astounded by the fact that I could literally drive from the biggest tree on earth to the biggest hole in the ground in a day. And then there were about ten other really interesting sights within a few hours as well.

That said, I like the banality of the endless empty plains of Australia.

I drove down the East Coast of Australia from Brisbane to Mt Kosciusko in February and this is literally it. Literally 1000 miles of fields.

Thats not to say you can't find stuff like this:
But in terms of the raw size and majesty of stuff in America and Europe, there isn't anything that compares

That hill in the top is actually the tallest mountain on the continent @2200m

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 20, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

I hate to be that guy who says "I can tell from the pixels" but the lighting on the rocks in the background (of the original photo, not the one im quoting) look completely different than the lighting on the buildings. It looks like the entire background was pasted in. Maybe it's real, I dunno, but it looks overprocessed if anything :colbert:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I have a ginormous book of McCurry's stuff and the two-page thread version I'm looking at is a lot less saturated especially in the green. But I'm really not seeing a problem with the lighting you're talking about though.

Fake edit: the more I state at the version posted here the weirder it looks. I think the jacked up greens makes this like hard divide in the photo that kind of makes it look more composity to me.

also lol I just found a strip of film from my first roll ever that I stuck in here to flatten and forgot about.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I drove down the East Coast of Australia from Brisbane to Mt Kosciusko in February and this is literally it. Literally 1000 miles of fields.

Thats not to say you can't find stuff like this:

But in terms of the raw size and majesty of stuff in America and Europe, there isn't anything that compares

That hill in the top is actually the tallest mountain on the continent @2200m

I think you should stop trying too look for copies of Europe/N.America and go and find stuff thats really Australian, as we don't have anything as really green or as huge as the Alps or Yosemite.

Go to the Kimberleys in WA, thats where truly Australian and unique landscapes are. Dirt red as gently caress, lots of waterfalls, sheer rock faces, caves, deep valleys and stuff like the Bungle Bungles. You really won't find anything like that on earth.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

I think you should stop trying too look for copies of Europe/N.America and go and find stuff thats really Australian, as we don't have anything as really green or as huge as the Alps or Yosemite.

Go to the Kimberleys in WA, thats where truly Australian and unique landscapes are. Dirt red as gently caress, lots of waterfalls, sheer rock faces, caves, deep valleys and stuff like the Bungle Bungles. You really won't find anything like that on earth.

I'd like to one day but it's a very big drive. Maybe when I finish uni.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'd like to one day but it's a very big drive. Maybe when I finish uni.

2 days, piece of piss.

How about FNQ? or the coast between Sydney and Melbourne? The drive is really beautiful with all the bays and inlets, I think quite unique.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

2 days, piece of piss.

How about FNQ? or the coast between Sydney and Melbourne? The drive is really beautiful with all the bays and inlets, I think quite unique.

I've been to both and to be honest I didn't think it was all that impressive. Granted it was when I was like 13 and I've grown to appreciate stuff more as I've gotten older so I might like it more now.

That's 47 hours without breaks or sleep, also its through the desert so its also scary as hell cause if you break down, welp.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've been to both and to be honest I didn't think it was all that impressive. Granted it was when I was like 13 and I've grown to appreciate stuff more as I've gotten older so I might like it more now.

That's 47 hours without breaks or sleep, also its through the desert so its also scary as hell cause if you break down, welp.

I was joking about that drive ;)

It sounds like you need to go travel a bit, and see all the amazing landscapes OS so you can get it out of your system and then take in what Australia has to offer. Even going to NZ and checking out their mountains might work.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I always thought Australia is a bloody beautiful place to shoot, given what I've seen from people like Spedman, Deaders, etc.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

alkanphel posted:

I always thought Australia is a bloody beautiful place to shoot, given what I've seen from people like Spedman, Deaders, etc.

The really cool and unique places are definitely really pretty, its just that they are difficult and boring to get to. Like in a corner of far nothern WA, a literal desert.

Its why I got my camera, for when I go see those places, but practicing my skills on stuff nearby is difficult because its all backyard forest type stuff. I guess I'm frustrated because I can't find any inspiration

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 20, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

You don't need something incredible to take a photo. Go take a walk around your suburb, you're bound to find something interesting.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The really cool and unique places are definitely really pretty, its just that they are difficult and boring to get to. Like in a corner of far nothern WA, a literal desert.

Its why I got my camera, for when I go see those places, but practicing my skills on stuff nearby is difficult because its all backyard forest type stuff. I guess I'm frustrated because I can't find any inspiration

Maybe you'll figure something out, the more you shoot. I've only got walls to shoot as well, so I've had to make do with them.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

All my photos are taken either within walking distance of my house (probably the "ugliest" part of inner city Melbourne) or within day trip driving distance.

I think you need to spend some time looking at lots of good photos for inspiration, rather than looking for the inspiring landscape, the latter will follow the former.

EDIT:

alkanphel posted:

Maybe you'll figure something out, the more you shoot. I've only got walls to shoot as well, so I've had to make do with them.

alkanphel's shots are a great example of making something very compelling out of not much more than a pretty ordinary urban landscape.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

I think you need to spend some time looking at lots of good photos for inspiration, rather than looking for the inspiring landscape, the latter will follow the former.

This is why we always recommend buying photobooks over gear hahaha

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

alkanphel posted:

This is why we always recommend buying photobooks over gear hahaha

What ones should I look at?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Content:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

What ones should I look at?

That would probably be quite hard to answer, since everyone has their own individual tastes. Even landscape has a huge range of variety, from Galen Rowell to Stephen Shore. If possible, I highly recommend visiting a library to check their photobook collection and look for the photobooks that you like. Then you can plug those books into Amazon to see what other books people check out, or ask friends to recommend books that are similar in taste. I just bought this book, which was recommended by VomitOnLino because he knows what I like. But I have no idea what you like.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah as an Australian I think its crazy to say that our landscapes are lacking and we have such great light and so few overcast days.Yeah alkanphel is right check out a Library/good bookstores. I would recommend Stephen Shores The Nature of the Photograph as a good starter book, but ymmv.
Content
Untitled

Untitled

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you think Australian landscape isn't varied enough you need to get your rear end down to Tasmania.

I'd post examples but I was in a bit of a rut and pretty much every photo I took in Tassie was poo poo :/ But that was me not the locale!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ok enough talk, I better post some content too.

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

You don't need something incredible to take a photo. Go take a walk around your suburb, you're bound to find something interesting.

alkanphel posted:

deaders via http://kissingeyesmagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/simon-deadman.html posted:

What is your background in Photography? What keeps you interested?

Since I was a kid I have always had a camera but mostly used it for snapshots of friends and photos of scenery while on holidays, that kind of thing. I bought a DSLR about 6-7 years ago and became pretty obsessed for a while but was pretty much oblivious to the photo art world and thought good photography was supposed to be vivid, saturated landscapes or stunning travel scenes so became bored of that after a while. I took some nice shots of friends and family but had not yet discovered something that would really drive me to push myself and keep making photos. Except for a few classes in high school I never formally studied photography but it has always been there on and off as a more than passing interest, just not one I always took as seriously as I do now.

What keeps me interested now was the realisation that you don't have to travel to exotic locations to take photos, they are right there under your nose every day or just a few hours down the road in a small country town. Some of my favourite photos recently were taken in a scrappy paddock just off the main road in an industrial area early in the morning while on the way to work. I love that I can find photos all over the place and for me that makes life richer and more interesting.

and i'll add that if you can't find anything interesting to shoot where you live the problem is you and you're going to take boring loving photos no matter where you go

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 20, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Anyone who says Australian landscapes are poo poo has never been to Tasmania. :colbert:
Except pls no more Cradle Mountain photos kthx

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Australia special Top Gear did this year made it look very nice too. I mean yeah there were no sweeping vistas filled with snow capped mountains, and I understand how everyone who buys a camera is filled with a burning desire to take pictures of mountains, but there is certainly beauty in what Australia does have.. it has a look that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world so get out there and figure out how to do something with it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I did a road trip last year up through the middle of vic/nsw/qld staying away from the coast and going through all the dead bumfuck-nowhere hick towns And desolate landscapes and it was pretty cool, much more interesting to me than the return drive down the coast.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

The Australia special Top Gear did this year made it look very nice too. I mean yeah there were no sweeping vistas filled with snow capped mountains, and I understand how everyone who buys a camera is filled with a burning desire to take pictures of mountains, but there is certainly beauty in what Australia does have.. it has a look that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world so get out there and figure out how to do something with it.

If you mean the one where they raced through a mine and James got the stig to do his, that was the desert, most of Australia isn't like that. Well by size it is but it's not reasonable to go there for a holiday or photograpy because what you saw on top gear is what you get. Kinda like a flyover state in America I guess.

I'll try going walking around my suburb with the camera and seeing what I find. I'm going walking on Saturday to try find wrecked planes on a mountain, I'll try find inspiration in the smaller things. What deaders said in that interview about starting out sounds a lot like me at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

If you mean the one where they raced through a mine and James got the stig to do his, that was the desert, most of Australia isn't like that. Well by size it is but it's not reasonable to go there for a holiday or photograpy because what you saw on top gear is what you get. Kinda like a flyover state in America I guess.

I'll try going walking around my suburb with the camera and seeing what I find. I'm going walking on Saturday to try find wrecked planes on a mountain, I'll try find inspiration in the smaller things. What deaders said in that interview about starting out sounds a lot like me at the moment.

I'm hearing excuses.