Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The two central performances look like a lot of fun, but the bit about someone wanting an army of millions of unkillable monsters seems like a huge red flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I dream that one day BBC/PBS do a Frankenstein miniseries in the style of Bleak House. It's a period piece romantic drama with a misunderstood monster that kills people.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

The two central performances look like a lot of fun, but the bit about someone wanting an army of millions of unkillable monsters seems like a huge red flag.

Yeah, plus I also feel like I've seen the whole plot. Though they seem to have hidden the actual monster, unless it's all apeloids.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, plus I also feel like I've seen the whole plot. Though they seem to have hidden the actual monster, unless it's all apeloids.

It seems when he revives the ape it goes crazy and chases them, and this makes Igor quit and/or question the merits of doing this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't get why nobody can just make a straight adaptation of Frankenstein. It's a pretty goddamn great story that probably wouldn't even be hard to adapt, except it apparently is.

The DeNiro one is mostly good. Honestly, I read the book and it's pretty dated, the DeNiro movie is about the best you could get without radically changing stuff like the 30's movies (which are even better movies, actually).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

effectual posted:

The DeNiro one is mostly good. Honestly, I read the book and it's pretty dated, the DeNiro movie is about the best you could get without radically changing stuff like the 30's movies (which are even better movies, actually).

That movie is funny due to how much of a vanity pic it is for Kenneth Branagh. Having seen it you know he wishes he was playing Thor instead of directing it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The lovely Break On Through cover did nothing for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wendell posted:

That movie is funny due to how much of a vanity pic it is for Kenneth Branagh. Having seen it you know he wishes he was playing Thor instead of directing it.

God how he loves to be blonde.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

effectual posted:

I would agree with this, and also it scared the poo poo out of me when I was 9. It's got a really oppressive atmosphere for a mainstream movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

effectual posted:

I agree that the book is pretty dated, but more importantly it's not really what people want. What they want is more like Age of Ultron (which is pretty much a modern Frankenstein) while the book is sorta like Rise of the Planet of the Apes (except there's only one ape and he loses at the end).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Was there any Paradise Lost stuff in the DeNiro film? If they made an accurate adaptation I could see that as something modern audiences largely wouldn't care about

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Trailer for The Witch

Looks pretty great although the trailer is about twice too long and lacks some cohesion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXmlf3Sefg

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm digging that goat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It is clearly called the VVitch

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks great but was it shot in 16:9?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's 2:30 so it is normal trailer length, if it feels too long it's the either the (trailer) producer's fault for not putting together a more cohesive cut or the film's fault for not having more scenes that resonate. That said, that looks super creepy and the reviews are really effective even if the pedigree isn't anything too impressive, like Collider.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

It's 2:30 so it is normal trailer length, if it feels too long it's the either the (trailer) producer's fault for not putting together a more cohesive cut or the film's fault for not having more scenes that resonate. That said, that looks super creepy and the reviews are really effective even if the pedigree isn't anything too impressive, like Collider.

Yeah I know the length is normal, but I think it really just needed a teaser. The second half just felt not cohesive in terms of trailer editing. But even then my complaint is very very minor, it looks like a great movie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That looks very scary.

Probably actually 2spooky4me.

I didn't feel like it was too long, but the cuts kept making me think it was over since it wasn't really telling a story.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That looks really good, definitely going on the watchlist.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It is clearly called the VVitch

It wasn't unusal to use two Vs for a W in typography in the 17th and 18th centuries:
example

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks awesome and good job on casting the crazy lady from Game of Thrones.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Looks damned good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Looks awesome and good job on casting the crazy lady from Game of Thrones.

Aren't they both from Game of Thrones? Isn't that the guy from the original Office?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I feel this way about most horror movies!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Aren't they both from Game of Thrones? Isn't that the guy from the original Office?

Yes and yes. Guy's got a hell of a sinister voice, too. And Kate Dickie's great at being intense and scary. I'm sold on the actors alone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BonoMan posted:

Trailer for The Witch

Looks pretty great although the trailer is about twice too long and lacks some cohesion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXmlf3Sefg

Pretty much. Movie looks amazing, and I thought the first half of the trailer was great, but the last half of the trailer seem to go a bit too, 'heres some random shots with appropriately tension increasing music' which I really didn't needed.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

kiimo posted:

FInchy! Chris Finch!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
The cast of The Martian gets a bit bigger, Damon gets snarkier, and we've got another one for the All Along the Watchtower pile with this new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3ioOneTy8

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

f#a# posted:

The cast of The Martian gets a bit bigger, Damon gets snarkier, and we've got another one for the All Along the Watchtower pile with this new trailer:

It's a pretty spoilery trailer too. I mean, like some people argue, you can pretty much piece together what happens anyway and the book itself wasn't the most complex adventure either (but it sure was fun)... but still... there's a lot given away here.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Ride Along 2 :ughh:

https://youtu.be/iWfmmwdCHTg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BonoMan posted:

It's a pretty spoilery trailer too. I mean, like some people argue, you can pretty much piece together what happens anyway and the book itself wasn't the most complex adventure either (but it sure was fun)... but still... there's a lot given away here.

My cousin won't see a movie unless it's spoilered now. He says it costs so much to do a night out with his wife, that unless he knows whether they're going to like it, they really can't afford to spend the money.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My cousin won't see a movie unless it's spoilered now. He says it costs so much to do a night out with his wife, that unless he knows whether they're going to like it, they really can't afford to spend the money.

Your cousin sounds like a bad person. How many CinemaSins videos does he watch daily?

Did he never hear the expression "It's about the journey, not the destination" in his entire life?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonSmithe posted:

Did he never hear the expression "It's about the journey, not the destination" in his entire life?

Ironically this is exactly what a lot of people complaining about the Martian trailer forget. I don't care if he does get off the planet, I care how he does it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GonSmithe posted:

But...But the only thing spoilers reveal is the destination, not the journey!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

But...But the only thing spoilers reveal is the destination, not the journey!

Exactly! He's a rube for not asking people to spoil the journey!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jenny Angel posted:

Exactly! He's a rube for not asking people to spoil the journey!

Please don't spoil the tracklisting of Journey's new album.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

f#a# posted:

BonoMan posted:

I don't think it's that spoilery unless you already read the book in which case you easily make the connections between stuff showing up on screen and what happened in the book.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Antti posted:

I don't think it's that spoilery unless you already read the book in which case you easily make the connections between stuff showing up on screen and what happened in the book.

Having not read the book I agree with this guy. It looks very good, and I'm sure he survives, but I'm not entirely sure from the trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People who complain about trailers spoiling movies are the same people who don't like movies that are nothing like their trailers promise.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The sites I've seen complaining abut how spoiler-filled that trailer is are also the ones usually reporting on set photos and leaks and promotional clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Im avoiding anything on that Martian movie. I want to go in pure fresh. Hard Sci-Fi like that in mainstream hollywood is rare.

• Locked thread