Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Veloxyll posted:

Which is probably the only tech they haven't gotten from Eldar Meddling.

Also, there is exactly ONE person/god who knows what the actual gently caress is going on.
That;d be Uthuan. You know, the prophet/jerk who, in true Eldar Style, cheerfully gives races tainted information to lesser races that will lead to their doom to save a single Eldar.

None of the Tau technology is from Eldar Meddling, at best their current survival and the Ethereals are Eldar meddling, all the technology is self developed and an example of what a species that actually cared about developing new technology can get done. None of the other races develop new things at any appreciable pace because of various reasons specific to each race. Also if the prophet you're speaking of is Eldrad Ulthran he doesn't actually know what's going on he just knows more than any other not-god. Honestly the 2 most likely to know what the gently caress is going on are Cegorach the laughing god of the Eldar and Tzeentch chaos god of hope, change and sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord_Magmar posted:

None of the Tau technology is from Eldar Meddling, at best their current survival and the Ethereals are Eldar meddling, all the technology is self developed and an example of what a species that actually cared about developing new technology can get done.

And when you have 6000 years of not being bugged by anyone TO develop that technology

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if the prophet you're speaking of is Eldrad Ulthran he doesn't actually know what's going on he just knows more than any other not-god.

Still, Eldrad happens to be a pretty huge dick, at least by /tg/ fanon standards. There's an entire series of stories about him being a huge dick to an Eldar subordinate that are pretty funny. He's also Taldeer's father in /tg/ fanon, which is connected to the whole Love Can Bloom writefaggotry.

Can't speak for him in canon, though didn't he get eaten by a Chaos trap set by Failbaddon in a Blackstone Fortress during the 13th Black Crusade or something like that?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 20, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Van Der Mer becuase it reminds me of District 9. We should tell the prawns about the greater good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GhostStalker posted:

Still, Eldrad happens to be a pretty huge dick, at least by /tg/ fanon standards. There's an entire series of stories about him being a huge dick to an Eldar subordinate that are pretty funny. He's also Taldeer's father in /tg/ fanon, which is connected to the whole Love Can Bloom writefaggotry.

Can't speak for him in canon, though didn't he get eaten by a Chaos trap set by Failbaddon in a Blackstone Fortress during the 13th Black Crusade or something like that?

GW is rolling the fluff back from the 13th black crusade it seems. And if Age of Sigmar is any example, they really shouldn't progress the storyline.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My favorite thing about 40K is that it started as a big joke, and a lot of what the lore is now are ossified remains of former jokes.

The first named Inquisitor was named Sherlock Clouseau or something

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And the first Arbite was Dredd.

And whether Tzeench ACTUALLY knows more than anyone else, or just claims he planned it that way all the while, well.
He is the Cobra Commander of Chaos Gods.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The first named Inquisitor was named Sherlock Clouseau or something

Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau, actually. And his artwork had him wearing a t-shirt with a yin-yang symbol on it underneath a duster, as well as a space cowboy hat. He also totally had a madman beard thing going on as well.

The original fluff was pretty out there...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If y'all are gonna continue posting about the increasingly bizarre lore that exists in Warhammer 40k, you should be posting pics as well.

Dug around and found Obiwan Sherlock Closeau:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

here's a post I put in the gbs/byob 40k thread a whiles back, if you like bizarre lore/art

quote:

ah yes

glorious 40k middle management.

its servants range from archivers,

to sexy navigator scribes,

to big brother,

lawyers, judges, barristers,

construction directors,

scrunt plumbers,

purity QAs,

xenos librarians,

and many more!

hard counter fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 20, 2015

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Here's a Finnish music video about characters that are legally distinct from the Space Marines and Tau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEX_q31_-g

Punainen Komentaja translates to The Red Commander.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cythereal posted:

Van Der Mar Mountains looks like a fine choice to hopefully get Tau slaughtered in job lots before hitting Thur'Abis. The veteran stealth team will be handy for that.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Not actually sure if my vote counts due to being a filthy Gue'la but Van De Mar Mountains anyway, I want you to really show off how bullshit Necrons can be.

GhostStalker posted:

Van De Mar Mountains, that Veteran Stealth Team will be really handy in the coming battles.

Van De Mar Mountains it is. Ready my Honour Guard. If our last encounter with the Necron was anything to go by, this will be a joke.
Shas'o, a call for you.
Again? Who is it?
Patching it through.
Will you wait--
You underestimate the Necron, Shas'o Kais. It will be your undoing.
Farseer Taldeer? Ha, I think it's YOU who underesti-- *click* --huh, she hung up again.

GOODNESS, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL HORIZON. I SHALL ENJOY CONSTRUCTION UPON THESE VAN DE MAR MOUNTAINS.

Move forward. Let's move quickly. We can finish this before the Necron even have a chance to mobilize.

Vespid have located the Necron.

Knock it down, for the Greater Good.

Tearing apart the Necron Lord.

Destroying their Monolith.
The Vespid auxiliaries have a couple of abilities that make them particularly useful. I mean, being extremely fast, being able to fly short distances, and being decent melee units with detection abilities are already awesome enough, but they have the ability to blast enemies backwards with their wings. Also, they can vibrate their wings in such a way that destabilizes buildings and allows us to do double damage temporarily.

It's down.

YES< IT IS INDEED A LOVELY DAY TODAY. IT IS THE PERFECT WEATHER FOR BUILDING A TAU BARRACKS.

We have--
We have located the second base.
--second, uh, yeah, we found it.

They are trying to activate their monolith.

We've spotted some Necron Warriors.
Is that it?

See, this is why it sucks to be the Necron. They're so drat slow. These mooks probably got sent out to scout the area. They heard their base was under attack and came back to defend it, but arrived just in time to see it destroyed. I mean, they could have teleported, but I think that's a research tech or dependent on certain buildings existing (I forgot).

Shas'o, shall we attack?
Ha, no. You know what? Focus on their Monolith. I bet we can take it down before the Necron can do anything about it.

Just jetpack to the other side of the Monolith if you need to recover.

We're done here.

Okay, now I can take on the Hyperion Peaks.

Well fought, Shas'o.
Incoming reports: Gorgutz has returned to the Green Coast.

Hey, the Imperial Guard are leading an attack on the Necron! Maybe they can take back their territory.
They failed.
Shameful, shameful. I thought the Imperial Guard were supposed to be dangerous.

The Necron are making an attempt on Pavonis Spaceport.
They failed.

Twice. They attacked twice and they failed twice.
Either the Space Marine defenses are too powerful or the Necron have a shamefully weak army.
The Necron are able to attack twice in a single day because they hold the Eres Badlands. The Badlands hold an artifact of the Chaos God Khorne. If we could capture the Eres Badlands, we, too, could attack twice in a day.
We're nowhere near the Badlands, though.

O'Kais, Farseer Taldeer attacks again!
*sigh* Just give me the cliffnotes.

Some more petty vandalism.

You know what I dislike about the Eldar? They're so obsessed with striking cool poses--

--they leave themselves open to attack. Shameful, shameful, shameful.

Out of my way, children! I have a mission I must complete!
We will feast on your bones!

These are Dark Reapers. Special anti-infantry Eldar units. You can see how effective they are.

One base down.

I HAVE BUILT UP OUR DEFENSE BY THAT ONE LISTENING POST. IF THE FARSEER TALDEER ATTACKS AGAIN, SHE WILL HAVE TO FACE OUR IMPROVED DEFENSES.

Second base down. The Eldar attack has failed--again.

Ha, now I can easily take down the Hyperion Peaks.

Thule is attempting an incursion into Chaos territory.
Oh? How did it go?
Poorly.
Ha! You, text Thule. Tell him he's an idiot.
Of course, Shas'o!

Chaos forces have taken territory from the Necron!
Is it just me or are the Necron a pitiful excuse for an army?

O'Kais, our options are limited from this location. We can assault the Thur'abis Plateau.

Or we can attempt to take Pavonis. If we want to make any other offensive plans, we need to pull back first.
As always, it's up to the War Council.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hard counter posted:

here's a post I put in gbs/byob 40k thread a whiles back, if you like bizarre lore/art

Hahahaha, yes! I love it!

EDIT:

This one is particularly great. "If the skull fits, you must acquit!"

But what's the deal with the guys wearing batwings?

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 20, 2015

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Attack Pavonis and the space marines. We want the necron armies to act as a buffer until we can ensure that we can capture their vacated territories.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

If xenos freaks massacre each other, it's fine by me. Here's hoping they're all buried under the Thur'abis Plateau.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

But what's the deal with the guys wearing batwings?

Those are what cherubs used to look like.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please don't attack the Necron HQ before taking over Hyperion Peaks.

ATTACK PAVONIS!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

my dad posted:

Please don't attack the Necron HQ before taking over Hyperion Peaks.

ATTACK PAVONIS!

The man speaks truth. You'd get flattened without a forward base.

Take Pavonis to begin with.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Snark posted:

The man speaks truth. You'd get flattened without a forward base.

By the Ethereals, it's true! B-but I'll abide by whatever decision the War Council makes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hard counter posted:

Those are what cherubs used to look like.

Do I want to ask?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So what do you have to say for all the Fire Warriors and Ethereals who go missing for no explained reason if they aren't up to snuff?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Do I want to ask?

Flying mini servitors/servo skulls made out of vat-grown babies used by the AdMech and Inquisition or something like that. Because the Imperium has to be all grimdark all the Emperor-damned time.

Oh, and take Pavonis.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 20, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

They're like weirder servo-skulls, in that they're like floating assistants. They're more autonomous but also more mischevious, going by the flavor text from the trpgs. You keep them in aeries in high-ceiling rooms.

baby supplied bombs, psychic familiar baby, maybe some kind of ceremony baby?

e: For a further explanation, the imperium hates AI and innovation. Either there's an existing machine spirit that can do something (machine spirits are sometimes implied to just be admech sanctioned AIs) or they make a person do it - probably with cybernetic enhacement if the job is insane... see the archiver who has to remember the locations of 120 trillion files. Vat grown babies were never alive/aware and are simply grown so somebody can slap cybernetics on its head to make a smart servo without resorting to AI.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 20, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Onmi posted:

So what do you have to say for all the Fire Warriors and Ethereals who go missing for no explained reason if they aren't up to snuff?

???

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pave the way to Pavonis

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fire Warrior initiates who don't make the grade mysteriously go missing and are never heard from again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hyperion Peaks, commander, if it's not too much trouble.

We could use a little payback for the earlier... unpleasantness.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Onmi posted:

Fire Warrior initiates who don't make the grade mysteriously go missing and are never heard from again.

The Greater Good Starch

is delicious.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Thur'abis plateau, OP. It's the only battle I remember from when I first played the campaign years and years ago.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pavonis!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Onmi posted:

You're gonna have to elaborate. My knowledge of Warhammer 40k is Dawn of War and its expansions and this thread. What happens to those poor Fire Warriors and Ethereals!!??

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Taking the spaceport at Pavonis will allow us to export the glory of the Greater Good that much more efficiently.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

You're gonna have to elaborate. My knowledge of Warhammer 40k is Dawn of War and its expansions and this thread. What happens to those poor Fire Warriors and Ethereals!!??

Well the lore itself is very much "Never seen again" which is in the sense of "Why is there a building they take people into and then nothing comes out?"

They kill any Fire Warrior trainee that doesn't make the cut or any Ethereal who breaks the group think.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 20, 2015

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I don't think anyone's covered battlesuit psychosis in this thread yet? (To clarify: this is an invitation for someone better versed than me to elaborate.)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

None of the Tau technology is from Eldar Meddling, at best their current survival and the Ethereals are Eldar meddling, all the technology is self developed and an example of what a species that actually cared about developing new technology can get done. None of the other races develop new things at any appreciable pace because of various reasons specific to each race. Also if the prophet you're speaking of is Eldrad Ulthran he doesn't actually know what's going on he just knows more than any other not-god. Honestly the 2 most likely to know what the gently caress is going on are Cegorach the laughing god of the Eldar and Tzeentch chaos god of hope, change and sorcery.

Eldar and Dark Eldar make new things if they need to. They just dont need to advance much anymore since they are already firing mini black holes and anti matter at people. Necrons can probably still advance too but they are also at a similar level of technology to the Eldar. Humans can also advance but not at the similar level they could during the dark age of technology. They used AIs to make new technology that was almost magic but now AIs are banned so they can only make technology thats mostly just a bit more advanced than what humans have now. Like civilian population still produces gun powder based weapons on some planets. Of course laser guns are probably preferred but those are military grade stuff so not easy to come by for everyone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artifact of Khorne? We need that. For... reasons.

Take Pavonis so you can then airdrop into the Eres Badlands.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right now we want the Pavonis spaceport.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Blind Sally posted:

No, there's no counter that I know of, but it doesn't take long to get the "2000 Kill" Wargear :getin:

The commander screen does in fact have a kill counter! My Governor-General is sitting at 3,6k at the moment :clint:

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

So what IS a 3-to-1 kill ratio? Is it just the commander? Is it 1 commander to 3 guys or 3 troops? Is 2000 kills also commander only or whole army? These conditions seem kinda weird for a strategy game, cause they look like a multiplayer FPS cheevos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aumanor posted:

I don't think anyone's covered battlesuit psychosis in this thread yet? (To clarify: this is an invitation for someone better versed than me to elaborate.)

Basically, a Tau that remains in the air-filtered environment of a battlesuit for too long begins to exhibit the kind of behaviours the Tau used to have before the Ethereals showed up. And I mean 'showed up'; way back in their past, a bunch of Tau were slaughtering each other with the kind of enthusiasm a Khornate might call 'somewhat excessive' when an Ethereal, the first of his kind, came up and started talking about how working together would be so much fun. The warring Tau immediately putt down their weapons, had tea, and started talking about how this Greater Good thing was awesome and that everyone should try it.

Someone talk about the Vespids now.

• Locked thread