Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lol pubbies are so full of poo poo they think they're admirals in this game.

On IJN cruisers, the Myoko gets an rof upgrade because it has pretty bad gun arcs and a lot less armor.

Ibuki is just a Mogami with extra torps, as far as I can tell. Also doesn't have 155s, if you're into that.

It can be upgraded to better torps (expensive and marginal) but stock, the Ibuki and Mogami have similar torpedoes, stat wise, number wise and arc wise.

Also worse guns than T7 Myoko...
They should just swap the ROF between Myoko and Ibuki and that might be good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I HAVE YOU NOW

:saddowns:

(I was firing AP that's just the replay bugging out)

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Ok class, here's a pop quiz for you !

You are driving an Omaha, and after surviving a fight with a New Mexico and a Cleveland, you get hit in the steering while your repair is over a minute from resetting, locking you in a course of dead ahead, and you have less than 3k HP remaining :stonkhat: . You also have an enemy destroyer dead ahead at less than 8 km. You are also the only cruiser between said destroyer and your teams pubbie Independence, who has actually been a cool person and co-operating with you and stuff.

Please examine Figures A and B:

Possible answers:

A. You explode, the DD goes on a rampage and nukes the nearby Fuso and later hunts down the Indy.
B. You die 2 seconds after getting off a last gasp torpedo spread, nuke the DD at 3km.
C. RNGesus water skis by and waves his magic gently caress YOU REALITY wand - you kill the DD, survive with 1.6k HP, get kudos from the pubs & go on to win the match :sureboat: :bravo:

Answer: C - Somehow I managed to be aimed perfectly to thread the ship between torpedoes in the spread. I think I lost some paint though....

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 20, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Evernoob posted:

As much as I agree with you with the Furutaka being a piece of scrapmetal, the guns may be slow firing and slow traversing, but they are not inaccurate.
The bullet velocity and firing arc are actually pretty great and if you take special care to aim for enemy cruiser citadels you can actually get some nice results.
Off course you have to broadside and sail in a straight line for any good results, as the smallest turn prevents your turrets from tracking your target correctly :(

Those guns are also awesome to deal with DDs (with He of course). The Aoba has the same guns, just in better turrets.
Best way to play Furutaka: Stick to a BB and shoot DDs, CAs and BBs. And plan your movement out ahead, the turret traverse is pure rear end.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Carrier Chat

Seeing that Japanese carriers have way more plane groups than US ones (8 vs 5 at tier 10). What reason is there to ever use American carrier? Is there any benefit? Has wargaming mentioned balancing them?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Raged posted:

Carrier Chat

Seeing that Japanese carriers have way more plane groups than US ones (8 vs 5 at tier 10). What reason is there to ever use American carrier? Is there any benefit? Has wargaming mentioned balancing them?

US carriers have more planes per group so it ends up being similar.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Langley is the most pointlessly bad ship in the game just fyi, I'd rather drive a stock Myogi. I fail to see how the Bogue could possibly be anything but a step up from this.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I fail to see how the Bogue could possibly be anything but a step up from this.

Well currently the Bogue MUST choose between a full fighter (+dive bomber) loadout, or a loadout with torpedo bombers but NO fighters at all. This can turn out horribly wrong both ways.
However after the patch with a guaranteed Carrier on the other side, and the fact that a fighter group will be in every loadout this might be fixed.

I don't use carriers though, so I might not be completely up to date

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

NTRabbit posted:

The Langley is the most pointlessly bad ship in the game just fyi, I'd rather drive a stock Myogi. I fail to see how the Bogue could possibly be anything but a step up from this.

A Bogue is virtually identical to a Langley.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just having a third squadron of any kind should make the Bogue better, because while each Bogue load out could be horribly right or horribly wrong from battle to battle, the loadout on the Langley is never right. You don't have enough fighters to defend yourself against a Hosho, and you don't have enough strike craft to contribute to your team in any meaningful way, even if squadron for squadron the Langley torp bombers are twice as good as the Hosho ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raged posted:

Carrier Chat

US carriers typically get much better fighters, which can easily chew up IJN fighters through many tiers and have an easier time protecting themselves from an IJN carrier opponent. Even though they only get one torpedo bomber squadron through most of the tiers, the spread on the torpedoes are much tighter, meaning your single squadron can get far more hits on a single ship (I've managed to hit with all six torpedoes on a ship attempting to dodge me by timing it just right).

US bombs and torpedoes do more damage individually than their IJN counterparts.

Once at tier 9 you finally start getting really good strike load outs (1/2/2).

I think most US carriers also carry more planes total; at tier 10 US gets something like 136 to Japan's 100 plane capacity. Some notes about each US carrier:

Langley- Slow, helpless, but typically matched against ships with nonexistent AA and slower speeds.
Bogue- Not much better, but the real 'test' for players to see if they have the patience to continue. I actually took 2/0/1 through most of it which helps when out-tiered by enemy carriers.
Independence- A big jump in performance; nearly 2x the speed, plane reserves, AA, and 1/1/1 base load out make it very versatile in my opinion.
Ranger- Bad for its tier; not much of an improvement EXCEPT the upgraded fighters do something like triple their previous damage, making them devastating to all fighters lower than them.
Lexington- Nice 2/1/1 base load out, upgraded hull has the highest AA rating of any carrier in the game.
Essex- Finally have the option to get two torpedo bombers, finally starts to get worthwhile to get 'strike' load outs (Flight Control Mod2)
Midway- Carries more planes than any other carrier in the game. All load outs give you at least 1 fighter to work with.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm curious how they are going to implement the "every load out gets at least one fighter". Does that mean all the Mod2 Flight control load outs will get +1 fighter squadron where applicable?

Because if it did, it would greatly benefit US carriers. It would mean Bogue could take 1/0/2, and the Ranger could take 1/1/2.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

inkwell posted:

I joined the Teamspeak server, same username as my forums name. whenever someone gets around to giving me permissions to join the bote channel i'll be up for some hot load shooting

Edit: got some permissions, still cant join the boat channel for some reason? just giving me the "insufficient client permissions (failed on i_channel_join_power)" message

Someone gave you sort of permissions to be authorized on the server but forgot or did not know that in addition to that you need channel permissions else you are stuck in no man's land.

Server permissions allows you to authorize others who do not have permissions when they join or like in your case have insufficient permissions. The channel permission is what lets you get around. This was the method I had to choose because when I started the server people were up in arms about having a password to get in so I had to do something to keep random shitters who found out or were given the address from joining, making GBS threads up the place and taking over command of it banning all the goons on a whim.

Now you know though if you see someone idling in the Playhouse lobby with the My Little Pony icon to please take a minute to go up to the channel, ask them stupid questions to verify they are not a basement dwelling Morlock we don't approve of and give them the right permissions if they are the basement dwelling Morlock we approve of.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Raged posted:

Carrier Chat

After the upcoming patch, US carriers will have much better attack loadouts at tiers 9 and 10, and less of a disadvantage at lower tiers. Japan will be losing the all bomber flight decks.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So after a few days of grinding CV xp I hopped in a Wickes with a buddy and just went wild throwing torps left and right getting one shotted and not caring at all about whether my team won.

It was both extremely fun and indicative that the game doesn't encourage tactics or teamwork at all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Raged posted:

Carrier Chat

US and IJN carriers arguably switch roles they're most effective at at T9-10. At the very least US carriers are suddenly MUCH more capable of nuking a single target than their IJN counterparts. Both sides put the same number of torpedo bombers in the air(12), but the US CV has the advantage of both a much better spread, along with there torpedoes individually doing decently more damage. Similarly with dive bombers, the US CV puts one less at T9, or 5 less at T10, in the air, while having both more planes per squadron to saturate the bomb drop area more to hope for a hit, along with their bombs doing almost twice as much damage.

Meanwhile, the IJN carrier advantage is narrowed down to faster turnaround time, and I'm not sure of the exact amount, and the ability to hit more targets at the same time. Of course, at T9-10 you're generally going to be stacking flights to get through AA/deal significant damage anyways, so that one's basically a wash. At the same time, they suddenly gain access to a fighter loadout(3/2/2 for Taiho, 4/2/2 for Hakuryu) along with fighters that deal more damage than US ones. Meaning that even against the fighter loadout US carriers, they're carrying(again counting the captain skill) 15-20 fighters compared with the US 21 along with still carrying a decent bomber layout, which given their improved damage is basically equal. Meanwhile that US fighter loadout gives up both torpedo squadrons for that, so most captains are going to have no desire to take it, and instead take the 1/2/2 option.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 20, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
So, even with the high 90s in AA rating (the Montana has like a 94 or 96), against a t10 carrier and with a fighter up I still only manage to kill a single plane when they attack, they drop just fine next to me and get like 5 hits as im dodging, then get 3 or 4 on thier way out. That seems kinda low for almost the highest possible aa rating....

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I forgot to screenshot it because I am an idiot, but holy poo poo, I just had the Omaha fully click for me. 6 kills, 4 of them other light cruisers who were happy to either show their citadels or in the case of the Furutaka, be so desperate NOT to show his citadel that he drove right into my torps, then a Langley and a New York. The New York had no idea what to do about someone who just drove right at him firing HE and not showing a broadside, then I torpedoed him between volleys and finished him off with fire.

Something like 160,000 damage that game. I have never done that well before in any ship in this game and I am loving keeping the Omaha.

:hfive:

Welcome to the club, buddy.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Sneaky Kettle posted:

:hfive:

Welcome to the club, buddy.

Omaha is pretty sweet :toot:

I tried switching to US dd from the Japanese ones, and it's pretty cool. Only up to the wickes now, and it's definitely more like a mini cruiser as opposed to a stealthy sniper. It's let me get much better with the guns (add that video tutorial from a few pages ago to the OP because drat it was helpful) so when I go back to the Japanese destroyers it'll make it easier to poo poo on people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have gotten Confederate something like 8 times playing this game.

The Omaha accounts for 6 of those.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

So, even with the high 90s in AA rating (the Montana has like a 94 or 96), against a t10 carrier and with a fighter up I still only manage to kill a single plane when they attack, they drop just fine next to me and get like 5 hits as im dodging, then get 3 or 4 on thier way out. That seems kinda low for almost the highest possible aa rating....

It's probably RNG loving you. The AA had probably damaged 5x as many planes but not fatally and they forgot that damage as soon as they left.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

demonR6 posted:

Someone gave you sort of permissions to be authorized on the server but forgot or did not know that in addition to that you need channel permissions else you are stuck in no man's land.

Server permissions allows you to authorize others who do not have permissions when they join or like in your case have insufficient permissions. The channel permission is what lets you get around. This was the method I had to choose because when I started the server people were up in arms about having a password to get in so I had to do something to keep random shitters who found out or were given the address from joining, making GBS threads up the place and taking over command of it banning all the goons on a whim.

Now you know though if you see someone idling in the Playhouse lobby with the My Little Pony icon to please take a minute to go up to the channel, ask them stupid questions to verify they are not a basement dwelling Morlock we don't approve of and give them the right permissions if they are the basement dwelling Morlock we approve of.

I gave him both server permissions and channel permissions, but figured out that it was because I did it while he was sitting in the Party Channel. So I had him move up to the Playhouse lobby, redid channel permissions, and that seemed to do the trick :v:.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Michi88 posted:

It seems that AA power relative to same tier CV doesn't improve at all as you climb the tiers.
You can murder lower tier planes so that's something.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is nothing more satisfying than firing torpedoes around an island in the Nicholas, wasting a New Mexico, and hearing the driver scream at you in chat to 'drive a ship that takes some courage'.

USN DDs are a wild ride I never want to get off, no matter how astounding the Minekaze and Isokaze are.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Currently grinding my way through the stock Fuso. :smithicide:

it will get better, it will get better, it will get better

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just had a New York that sat at the back 'sniping' and let everyone die, then cherry picked all the damaged ships for a high calibre, tank destroyer wn8 whores alive in well in botes

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tahirovic posted:

Still not sure who figured that permanently destroyed weaponry would make for a fun game mechanic.

It would work a lot better if only AP caused weapons to get destroyed, and if dispersion didn't make the whole chance of weapon knockouts somewhat random. Its something you'll have to get used to if you're using any ship with 127mm or smaller turrets, as they are typically unarmored. For many ships, those guns are actually secondary armament. The Atlanta is basically an oversized destroyer, except it has a citadel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krogort posted:

It seems that AA power relative to same tier CV doesn't improve at all as you climb the tiers.
You can murder lower tier planes so that's something.

It also really depends on the AA guns themselves. I know for the Lexington it has an AA rating of like 92, but the majority of its AA damage happens within 3km. So depending on just how close planes get to you it might affect how much damage you end up dealing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Don't trust the AA rating number. Look at the values listed under the guns inside the tab. You could have an AA set that does 1k dps, but if it only works within 2km, all its going to do is kill planes AFTER they make a run on you, not before. AA that fires from 3k will likely start shooting as the planes begin their run, and AA that shoots at 5K is the stuff that actually downs planes attacking you and allies.

For cruisers, this is extra important, as Defensive Fire only affects AA with the longest range on your ship, typically the 127mm guns at 5km.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hazdoc posted:

Don't trust the AA rating number. Look at the values listed under the guns inside the tab. You could have an AA set that does 1k dps, but if it only works within 2km, all its going to do is kill planes AFTER they make a run on you, not before. AA that fires from 3k will likely start shooting as the planes begin their run, and AA that shoots at 5K is the stuff that actually downs planes attacking you and allies.

For cruisers, this is extra important, as Defensive Fire only affects AA with the longest range on your ship, typically the 127mm guns at 5km.
That's also going to make :911: DD AA a very nice thing.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I hate you, invisible torpedo sniper.
-me and every BB driver ever

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Invest one skill point in the "get spotted" skill (Situation Awareness). As soon as you're spotted: Change course every 20 seconds. Doesn't need to be much, but you'll be virtually immune against long range torpedo attacks. If you're not spotted = just sail lazily in straight lines.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dark Helmut posted:

I hate you, invisible torpedo sniper.
-me and every BB driver ever

To add on the "situation awareness" bit, if you know the direction from which torpedoes will be launched from, its very easy to already be halfway avoiding the torps. Simply angle towards/away from where the DD will be launching torps from, and be very aware of what risk your maneuvers will put you in when you make them (if you are maneuvering and suddenly torpedoes, you won't have time to reverse your rudder, leaving an engine stop as your only option). Being angled towards/away from the torps makes any possible angle of attack non-optimal for the DD, as the torpedoes can be much more easily dodged. If the torps at an obtuse angle (angled towards the DD), turning into the spread is very easy. This is the less optimal route to take, though, as you are headed towards the torpedoes, shortening the time you have to react to them. If the torps arrive at an acute angle (angled away), turning away is once again super easy. Dropping throttle will also make the majority of the torps miss. I sure hope you payed attention in Geometry class!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I finally had a good Taco Time. I guess I was just unused to the lead on the Furutaka's guns, because as someone above me said, they are actually pretty accurate and the bullet is just much faster than I'm used to with CAs.

Still a piece of poo poo and I still don't quite know what to do about BBs in it besides set them on fire then torp.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

I finally had a good Taco Time. I guess I was just unused to the lead on the Furutaka's guns, because as someone above me said, they are actually pretty accurate and the bullet is just much faster than I'm used to with CAs.

Still a piece of poo poo and I still don't quite know what to do about BBs in it besides set them on fire then torp.

You're not supposed to do much to BBs with it, because the 203mm cruisers are probably the most "balanced" cruisers in the game. Its all the other HE shooting cruisers that are the problem
You can pen some BBs with your AP if you aim above the belt armor, and at close range you can possibly even citadel IJN BBs. Don't try it on a Nagato (cuz secondaries), but I've citadeled a Myogi before in a Furutaka. Or you can shoot HE.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

NTRabbit posted:

Just having a third squadron of any kind should make the Bogue better, because while each Bogue load out could be horribly right or horribly wrong from battle to battle, the loadout on the Langley is never right. You don't have enough fighters to defend yourself against a Hosho, and you don't have enough strike craft to contribute to your team in any meaningful way, even if squadron for squadron the Langley torp bombers are twice as good as the Hosho ones.
All that is true for the Bogue too though; the two non-default plane loadouts are a bomber loadout where you still only have one TB squadron, and DBs are pretty worthless so it's not really much different, and a fighter loadout, which is a fighter loadout. Really the only good squadron loadout for US CVs is the default one until you hit tier 9.

Panfilo posted:

I think most US carriers also carry more planes total; at tier 10 US gets something like 136 to Japan's 100 plane capacity. Some notes about each US carrier:
This is only true with the Langley and at tier 9+. Bogue and Independence both carry less planes than their IJN tier equivalents. It equals out at the Ranger and Lex and you finally jump ahead with the Essex. The Independence is especially jarring because the difference is relatively huge: you get 37 while the Ryujo gets 48. It's like Wargaming forgot they removed the Saipan from the game (which used to be at tier 6 and had 48 planes as well).

Panfilo posted:

I'm curious how they are going to implement the "every load out gets at least one fighter". Does that mean all the Mod2 Flight control load outs will get +1 fighter squadron where applicable?

Because if it did, it would greatly benefit US carriers. It would mean Bogue could take 1/0/2, and the Ranger could take 1/1/2.
Well according to the PTS when I installed it and looked they didn't touch US CVs at all. They only changed the IJN ones. I don't know if those changes are final or not but yeah.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Still not sure who figured that permanently destroyed weaponry would make for a fun game mechanic.

Don't know, I still don't know why it's in the game.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I finally decided to step up from my Minekaze to Mitsuki. I knew it was going to be bad but not as bad as this. Can anyone explain how they got through the first 15k or so XP to get the second hull and improved torps at least? Free XP is not an option because I'm also invested in the USN BB line and am hoarding it to skip Colorado.

I would literally prefer to use the T2 Umikaze in T6 MM rather than this Mitsuki.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I finally decided to step up from my Minekaze to Mitsuki. I knew it was going to be bad but not as bad as this. Can anyone explain how they got through the first 15k or so XP to get the second hull and improved torps at least? Free XP is not an option because I'm also invested in the USN BB line and am hoarding it to skip Colorado.

I would literally prefer to use the T2 Umikaze in T6 MM rather than this Mitsuki.

The improved torpedoes are the same ones that the Aoba has so if you research the Aoba, you no longer have to separately research the Mutsuki's better torpedoes. And the Aoba is a fun and good ship, so it's not like you're really losing anything.

As for the hull, you can either free exp it and/or adapt. Even the stock hull is usable, you just have to be more careful. The concealment isn't that much worse than the Minekaze, so setting ambushes or just dumping torpedoes into an area is still feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

El Scotch posted:

Currently grinding my way through the stock Fuso. :smithicide:

it will get better, it will get better, it will get better
Don't waste your time and sanity grinding the stock Fuso now. The test server adds a new hull so you don't have to suffer through 18k xp of daily wins to get a decent ship. I have not bothered to look up the specifics since I powered through the Fuso a couple of weeks ago, but it is supposed to be something like 9k xp gets the new hull that gives the full hp, more armor, faster rudder shift, and 19km range. Then for 9k more xp the third hull fills out the AA. They announced another public test for this weekend, so the patch probably will not go live until the end of next week or the week after that.