Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
There is something seriously wrong with silver ore generation on the Blightfall map.

I've managed to get up to Orichalcum mining level

but still haven't found any silver at all.

And I somehow managed to get through the diamond tier without unlocking the diamond section of the Mining and Resource book. Whoever is in charge of the mod, could you please make it so if I unlock a higher tier in the book, it also unlocks all lower tiers? Thanks.

Edit: Found some adamantine earlier when I couldn't mine it, just made an adamantine pick and unlocked Atlarus, but still can't see where to mine diamond.

Edit 2: VVVVV I know where to find diamonds and have found quite a few; I was just using them as an example. Thanks though. Also in the diamond level material section is cinnabar, ardite, and a few other metals all of which definitely have custom spawn zones and I can't see them. I made a TiCon invar pick for diamond level, tried dropping and picking up an invar ingot a few times but it did not unlock the section of the book. Does not make sense.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Silver is stupid rare, you might need to invent an Arcane Bore before you can find any easily. Diamonds are generated just like in vanilla, they're in every biome at low altitude.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can make inferences based on what type of ore it is. Netherrack ores are all on the volcano islands, for example, and the two ender ores are on the Eerie Obsidian Tower island. Plus the HQM Geologist quests definitely makes you aware of where to start digging for the metallurgy ores.

I have a feeling the books unlock based on the first entry for some of them, unfortunately.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I found a bit of silver very low (like around 9-10) under Beta. But it was really low, only got decent amounts once I started making mining tunnels of my own. Pick of the core helped, but I'd really suggest just smashing around with a hammer or getting a mining focus.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Reason posted:

God they take forever sometimes, and sometimes it seems like they just bug out and won't grow even if you plant them in the exact same spot they grew last time.

i definitely have enough space around it. i dunno if taint can interfere with it, either, so just in case i have a few blooms in the nearby area, clearing the spot where's it planted entirely. not that i was going to rely on silverwood trees to do some taintbusting (dunno why i researched the 'make a silverwood out of an oak' topic), but i feel some obligation to at least grow a single silverwood of my own.

e: ahahahahahahaha, as i was posting this the tree grew, which is funny since i relocated it not long ago out of frustration. what the gently caress

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i definitely have enough space around it. i dunno if taint can interfere with it, either, so just in case i have a few blooms in the nearby area, clearing the spot where's it planted entirely. not that i was going to rely on silverwood trees to do some taintbusting (dunno why i researched the 'make a silverwood out of an oak' topic), but i feel some obligation to at least grow a single silverwood of my own.

e: ahahahahahahaha, as i was posting this the tree grew, which is funny since i relocated it not long ago out of frustration. what the gently caress

Every once in a while it will tick and do a roll on whether or not it will grow. Or you could make a hoe of growth and grow almost anything.

Edit: The purification focus will try to purify erie biomes even if that's it's normal biome causing the focus to eat all your vis while doing nothing.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 20, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ambaire posted:

There is something seriously wrong with silver ore generation on the Blightfall map.

I've managed to get up to Orichalcum mining level

but still haven't found any silver at all.

The same thing happened to me, except with lead. Then I finally found one in a mineshaft, went branch mining for oureclase half an hour later and found another vein. Don't give up!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magres posted:

And, honestly, I really cannot say that you can't do automated brewing with Botania, I just can't figure out how.

Look up the Botanical Brewery in the Lexica. It's Botania's answer to potions. It's easy and excellent.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

automating the botanical brewery is super easy

open crate above the brewery block

insert items with hopper but make sure your empty flask is first

hopperhock to pick up the finished potion

the open crate is probably the biggest example of botania being botania -- it's a block that at first sounds really weird and like a solution in search of a problem but then it turns out to be useful for basically everything

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

There's a lot of ways to do treefarms. e.g.: http://gfycat.com/QuestionableAromaticCats (that is pretty overengineered though)

It looks like he's using munchdews to clean up the leaves... but that won't drop saplings. Or is Fast Leaf Decay in action? I'm thinking you'd want to use a drum of the wild to ensure the tree farm is self-sustaining.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

McFrugal posted:

It looks like he's using munchdews to clean up the leaves... but that won't drop saplings. Or is Fast Leaf Decay in action? I'm thinking you'd want to use a drum of the wild to ensure the tree farm is self-sustaining.

i don't see any munchdews? also, despite saying that trees won't drop saplings if eaten by them, i've occasionally gotten saplings from devoured leaves. not exactly reliable or anything, but a few slip through the cracks. dunno why.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

You can't forcegrow silverwood saplings with bonemeal, but you can with a hoe of growth, which is pretty easy to make.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So there's no way to get more living root in Garden of Glass, right? I'm gonna have to set up a mob spawner first thing for bonemealing?

I have no idea wtf with respect to mob spawning mechanics otherwise I wouldn't ask :shobon:

(edit) While I'm here, what about getting more dirt? Looks like there isn't a way, off hand.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 20, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

So there's no way to get more living root in Garden of Glass, right? I'm gonna have to set up a mob spawner first thing for bonemealing?

I have no idea wtf with respect to mob spawning mechanics otherwise I wouldn't ask :shobon:

(edit) While I'm here, what about getting more dirt? Looks like there isn't a way, off hand.

Yeah, a mob spawner is necessary very early on in GoG, as is visiting the nether.

You can make more dirt with a Rod of the Lands.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder, could you make an automatic charcoal farm using nothing but Botania and vanilla?

(redstone circuitry convenience mods optional, gently caress if I'm gonna take the time to learn a vanilla xor circuit or timer or whatever)

It's been.... A bit frustrating to say the least to get this to become a closed loop system. However if you have another source of mana supplying the whole thing then it works just fine.

Ciaphas posted:

So there's no way to get more living root in garden of glass, right? I'm gonna have to set up a mob spawner first thing for bonemealing?
Yeah you want to start up a mob closet the moment you get trees and some blocks to make it all happen.
Also dirt is gonna come from Rod of the Lands, meaning no fresh dirt until you get to the nether and make some runes.
I'm on the Garden of Glass fix myself, so just a couple tips:
You can using living root as bonemeal(duh), craft it into saplings(doubleduh) and importantly enough you can craft it into floral fertilizer, making early game flowers a bit quicker to get ahold of.
Also you can fill the petal apothecary up with wooden bowls, which doesn't use up your source block.... But you can still take a source block -out- of the apothecary once you have access to iron.
Lastly go into the configs and double check Dayblooms, Nightshades, and Hydroangeas, in the recentish updates, they now have a limited lifecyle, which I think equates to about two minecraft days or so. You can change em back to the old way if you want, or just give it a bit of a boost if that feels a little too much for ya.

Edit: Done got beat. :[

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If you have AE and MFR and Botania, here's an easy way to automate production of living wood and living rock. You need:

1) Pure daisy (duh)
2) Block placers
3) Annihilation planes
4) Toggle bus
5) Programmable rednet controller

The size of this is completely configurable however you want, right now I'm just making 1 of each at a time.

This is what the setup looks like:

Trial and error of getting it to work was a pain, but the setup is pretty simple. The block placers get a constant signal to turn them off, then the PRC triggers the toggle bus on a timer to activate annihilation planes underneath, then after a short delay it turns that off and disables the signal on the block placers so that they'll place their blocks.

PRC circuits look like this:

1) The basic timer. The length of this may need to be lengthened if you're not getting good tick times (the pure daisy goes wacko with variable tick times)

2) This turns the the square wave (which is on half the time and off half the time) into a 1 tick pulse

3) This turns the pulse from the previous circuit to 40 ticks (2 seconds). This may also need to be longer if your toggle bus takes longer to connect to the AE system, which can happen if your system is large

4) This turns on the signal to the annihilation planes so they eat the livingwood/rock blocks

5) This sets the delay before the block placers activate, otherwise you'll get a loop of block placers setting down blocks repeatedly and the annihilation planes eating them repeatedly. It's no bueno.

6) Finally, this inverts the signal to the block placers, because they get deactivated with a redstone signal, and turn on without one.

Note that the rednet sadly does not connect directly to the toggle bus, so you'll need 1 redstone to bridge the gap.

This setup will cycle every ~50 seconds, so it's decently fast. I can take some cleaner screenshots if anyone needs em. The setup can probably be optimized to be simpler but eh, this works.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does anyone know how far a mana pool will send mana to functional flora? I can make my reed farm look a little nicer if it's like 6-7 blocks

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 20, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i don't see any munchdews? also, despite saying that trees won't drop saplings if eaten by them, i've occasionally gotten saplings from devoured leaves. not exactly reliable or anything, but a few slip through the cracks. dunno why.

Oh, those green flowers are agricarnations, nevermind. I guess he's got fast leaf decay active.

Anyone managed to get the Black Lotus to do anything? I'm reading it's supposed to give you a bunch of mana but when I dump it in a pool it just disappears without giving any mana.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Woo got my reed farm going!

Also a little experimentation showed that the floating hopperhocks are within range of the mana pools, so I removed one and moved the other to the middle row of water because it looks nicer. Anyone know, could I hide my Hopperhocks underneath the ground entirely? If they grab items through walls I'd totally put it underground in a little room with an itemduct to the barrel on the left (I'm going to add the itemduct eventually either way, it's just fugly)

This thing is pretty hypnotic to watch, in truth. It's just cool to watch the green beams of light shooting around, I have it set up so the loops alternate between clockwise and counterclockwise and it looks really good that way.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just kicked myself over the metal progression in Blightfall. I was having the darndest luck getting carmot or manganese to progress. I forgot my own advice to drain some lava and water into the smeltery and just make an obsidian head to get over the hump. That and I forgot stone hammers are okay with Iguana Tweaks so I forgot to make one to slaughter random stones.

Now I should be able to pick up all the nice things.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

Woo got my reed farm going!

Also a little experimentation showed that the floating hopperhocks are within range of the mana pools, so I removed one and moved the other to the middle row of water because it looks nicer. Anyone know, could I hide my Hopperhocks underneath the ground entirely? If they grab items through walls I'd totally put it underground in a little room with an itemduct to the barrel on the left (I'm going to add the itemduct eventually either way, it's just fugly)

This thing is pretty hypnotic to watch, in truth. It's just cool to watch the green beams of light shooting around, I have it set up so the loops alternate between clockwise and counterclockwise and it looks really good that way.

Aren't you wasting a lot of mana by shooting mana bursts into mana spreaders instead of pools?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just kicked myself over the metal progression in Blightfall. I was having the darndest luck getting carmot or manganese to progress. I forgot my own advice to drain some lava and water into the smeltery and just make an obsidian head to get over the hump. That and I forgot stone hammers are okay with Iguana Tweaks so I forgot to make one to slaughter random stones.

Now I should be able to pick up all the nice things.

I finally managed to get a carrot from a zombie, after at least a week of playing this stupid map. Also my mob drop doesn't really work. There's too many persistent tainted mob spawns to allow for vanilla mobs to spawn.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

I finally managed to get a carrot from a zombie, after at least a week of playing this stupid map. Also my mob drop doesn't really work. There's too many persistent tainted mob spawns to allow for vanilla mobs to spawn.

They do sometimes spawn anyway underground, in my experience. The mob spawning situation isn't quite as dire as it used to be, but I'm not sure exactly what changed. Kill the tainted wildlife near your base to open up more slots to increase the chance they'll spawn in your mob farm, and clean the nearby area to reduce the chances of things spawning near underground taint and turning to thaumslimes. I think thaumslimes eventually despawn now, which frees up slots too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

Aren't you wasting a lot of mana by shooting mana bursts into mana spreaders instead of pools?

Dunno! I'm not a tenth as familiar with Botania mechanics as I am with Thaumcraft mechanics, so I'm working pretty blindly here. That said, I don't think there's any loss when you fire a burst into a mana spreader, cause I've never seen anything anywhere that says there is (and Botania talks about mana loss when using mana spreaders, if you fire a burst too far you start bleeding mana).

As far as I know, the mana consumption to the setup (which, so far, the hydros have more than covered) is 24 mana per reed gathered, cause bore bursts lose 24 mana per block broken plus whatever the Hopperhock costs, which I haven't seen. My only complaint about Botania is that it's hard to find numerical costs on things most of the time, so almost everything I do is overengineered.

Does anyone know, do TE tesseracts play nice with pumped essentia? If they do (and if Offerings of Dawn bring Tesseracts along for the ride) then it'd be pretty straightforward, if a lot of work, to build a setup that will power and provide essentia for all your Dawn Machines, no matter where they are in the world. Which is awesome as heck. My dream project for Blightfall is The Citadel of Dawn - to make a giant fort that houses all of the magical and technological industry and automation needed to provide power and essentia to Dawn Machines, as well as to power a method of getting needed RF and essentia to Dawn Machines no matter where they are in the world.

E: vvv oh, fair. Oh well :shrug: It works, which is good enough for me.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 20, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

Dunno! I'm not a tenth as familiar with Botania mechanics as I am with Thaumcraft mechanics, so I'm working pretty blindly here. That said, I don't think there's any loss when you fire a burst into a mana spreader, cause I've never seen anything anywhere that says there is (and Botania talks about mana loss when using mana spreaders, if you fire a burst too far you start bleeding mana).

As far as I know, the mana consumption to the setup (which, so far, the hydros have more than covered) is 24 mana per reed gathered, cause bore bursts lose 24 mana per block broken plus whatever the Hopperhock costs, which I haven't seen. My only complaint about Botania is that it's hard to find numerical costs on things most of the time, so almost everything I do is overengineered.

Does anyone know, do TE tesseracts play nice with pumped essentia? If they do (and if Offerings of Dawn bring Tesseracts along for the ride) then it'd be pretty straightforward, if a lot of work, to build a setup that will power and provide essentia for all your Dawn Machines, no matter where they are in the world. Which is awesome as heck.

Yeah, there is a mana loss when firing a burst into a spreader, it says it in the description of the mana spreaders. Though I'm not sure how significant the loss is. Try a design like this:

You'll have to input mana into the system at each "lane", which there are a few ways to do. The easiest would be with sparks on the pools that are in line with the water, fed by a recessive spark; but you'll need a portal to do that because it requires gaia spirits.

But it's probably not a big deal if you're not concerned about wasting some mana. But this is modded minecraft so you gotta min that max yo.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Where the heck are the light gray mystical flowers? The hint is a lot more vague than any of the others, and bunny-hopping across the entire mountainside is killing my hunger, never mind the near constant taint poison and sheep.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The entrance to the cave they're in is at 900,600 but be ready for a fight inside.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for some reason i hadn't found that little hidden-away secret with the 12 dayblooms in it until now. that makes breaking into botania...a lot easier now.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

The entrance to the cave they're in is at 900,600 but be ready for a fight inside.

Unlimited shock focus works wonders.
That boss at the top of the obsidian tower died like a sheep. :smog:
If you find the firecharge in the village on the way to the jungle way point, you can make a fire focus. Upgraded you can turn it into a fire beam or a fireball.

Edit: There's actually two messis nodes in the swamp area

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 20, 2015

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know how to enable the option to teleport to waypoints in the map mod Blightfall uses? I've just lost all my locations in the teleporter for the second time and I really don't want to have to fly around in creative mode and reactivate them all again.

Ellieanna
Jul 16, 2014
Playing Blightfall with some goons on a private-ish server. I'm the Thaum-major of the group with 1 other person. I've spent most of tonight catching up on some research to try to find this Dawn Machine I keep being told to make.

I got my research to it, but when I try to make the research note, I keep getting a fatal error in the game. Really don't want to try to into single player to try to test it there (as I don't know how to give myself aspect knowledge, research, etc), so I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue, and if you were able to fix it. Myself and another person have spent like 5 days cleaning the taint from the Volcano alone, so it would be nice to have the Dawn machine to help make it go faster.

I thread to find out if anyone else has posted this, but I didn't see anything. I also didn't go back that far, and the search on SA is god awful.

Also, I love this pack though. So much fun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

You need to explore more. Specifically, you need to explore some of the villages. Only some of the food items are available via requisition; the others you have to find in the world. This is crucial to building up enough food variety.

Magres posted:

My only complaint about Botania is that it's hard to find numerical costs on things most of the time, so almost everything I do is overengineered.

That is deliberate. The person who makes Botania deliberately obfuscates the numbers with HUDs and relative descriptions of mana costs. There's not really any way to know the numbers.

... unless you look at the source code. :v: (open sores mod)

I ended up resorting to this when I was attempting to automate an entropynnium and it turned out the cost of converting flint to gunpowder was way more than the entropynnium generated :gonk:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

... unless you look at the source code. :v: (open sores mod)

Should really get that checked out.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I feel a bit stupid. I have some food growing. Made a pick from flint and then prometheum, mined some iron and tin.

Not sure where I should go from here. Found the swamp and made rubber.

I died a lot trying to get to the swamp, made armor and stuff, but the flying taint particles own me.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Sistergodiva posted:

I feel a bit stupid. I have some food growing. Made a pick from flint and then prometheum, mined some iron and tin.

I died a lot trying to get to the swamp, made armor and stuff, but the flying taint particles own me.
You can avoid a lot of the dangerous stuff by boat. I completed a good chunk of the scouting missions with a stone sword and no armor just by travelling mostly by sea.

Other than that, you'll probably want to get some better tools. Either work your way through the Natura nether woods by requesting saplings or find some copper.

After that the game opens up a bit. Thaumcraft is one of the main focuses of the pack, so you'll probably want to progress in that. Or just pick something to do in the quest book.

e: I'd also recommend the mid-size sword for a main weapon, at least until you can get some better mobility. The right click jump-charge is really useful for getting around.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 20, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well you could continue expanding your biodome of choice or start cleaning up the Swamp Delta so the first island is secure and use that as your base. The trick with overland exploration is to always be moving. And don't go towards any red question mark indicator out in the taint because it's either a taintacle (which will kill you), a spore swarmer (which will spawn those swarms that will chase you forever and kill you), or a taint spore (which will explode into tiny spiders).

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Sistergodiva posted:

Fighting Tainted Swarms seems really odd, but remember: the swarm is just an animation that follows an invisible hitbox. Use the health bar popup to judge when you're right over it and try to guess where it'll move. They move a bit like ghasts. Watching the minimap can help you get a feel for how they'll approach.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
How most of minecraft is actually coded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZQPjUT5B4

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sistergodiva posted:

It looks like you need to improve your combat situation then. Second, you will want to improve your food situation some more too, since it looks like you take lots of hits, so you'll be doing lots of eating. Scouting in itself is hunger-depleting.

As was recommended, a longsword is very useful. When I do have to huff it on land, I jump around like crazy with it. I don't think I get taint poisoning running around on tree tops, and you can get into a safe spot in villages by jumping on the sloped roofs with it. If you combine the right-click with the regular jump, you can go so high that you incur fall damage on the way back down. Umm, be careful.

I would also recommend a crossbow, but you will need feathers for the bolts, and string as well for the crossbow. See if you can acquire an exotic wood for it. Fusewood is apparently really good, but I could only get darkwood. It made it a nice blue though. You can review the effects in NEI. Boosting it with redstone improves its speed. Two big perks with the crossbow is the repairable ammunition, and that it's fire-then-draw, not draw-then-fire. So in a pinch, you can get that first shot off fast. You can get feathers from two chicken spawn eggs off of the promethium black market line, if I remember correctly. Building up chickens also improves your food possibilities. The eggs are a great boost in particular.

You should look into iron bolts. The recipe for producing one in actuality makes you 24. Making three should give you a huge safety margin. After that, you can plink taintacles and the spawners from far away.

Some of the scout locations yield extra foods--notably berries--so you will get a little more diversity there. Running a little aways from the base should also give you a chance to spawn some wildlife inside your dome... that you will want to immediately pen away from the sides. If this is not happening, mine underneath it for some time and prance around the tainted caves like you're doing parkour to avoid the taint poisoning.

So once you have food, a crossbow, and a long sword, you should be better-prepared for scouting. If you are still not confident about getting into fights, I'd take the northernly routes up to that bucket of lava quest--the volcano. The mining there has been good to me. The southern route winds up passing by some villages that have hostile mobs. The guards would particularly be scary. It looks like the location of the quests in the scout's book coincide with their rough location in the overworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shukaro posted:

How most of minecraft is actually coded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZQPjUT5B4

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geLnpGmQAQ