Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
head58
Apr 1, 2013

Basiago is possibly my favorite nutjob because of how wide ranging his stories are and how serious he sounds about them, but I really think his "quantum bombshell" was a misstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I missed most of his appearance on the show but I heard it was especially nutty. What did he say?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Prickly Pete posted:

I missed most of his appearance on the show but I heard it was especially nutty. What did he say?

He claimed to have met Art in 1971 in another timeline while he was working at ITT

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Is anyone having any trouble getting this show to download from you podcast app? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Doggcatcher, if that matters.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Beast Pussy posted:

Is anyone having any trouble getting this show to download from you podcast app? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Doggcatcher, if that matters.

the only issue i have is that that goddamned seth shostak episode has auto-downloaded like 9 times for some reason

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Riptor posted:

the only issue i have is that that goddamned seth shostak episode has auto-downloaded like 9 times for some reason

Probably because it was so epic.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Riptor posted:

That's not an issue.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Beast Pussy posted:

All right, I finally caved in and signed up.

I use Pocket Casts, and I can't figure out how to add the feed URL when a username and password are required. Help? :(

Edit: Nevermind, I guess they don't support password-protected podcasts. Lame.

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 18, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

doctorfrog posted:

Is there an IRC channel anywhere where people idle while listening to MitD?

IIRC we used to use #c2c on irc.synirc.net

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Jin Wicked posted:

All right, I finally caved in and signed up.

I use Pocket Casts, and I can't figure out how to add the feed URL when a username and password are required. Help? :(

Edit: Nevermind, I guess they don't support password-protected podcasts. Lame.

Downcast works great and supports password protection

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

gret posted:

IIRC we used to use #c2c on irc.synirc.net

Doesn't seem to be anyone in there. It'd be cool to have a channel if there is any interest. I made the mistake of joining a facebook group for Art's new show, and dear god the crushing stupidity

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Just join Bellgab if there's no IRC. It's usually pretty level headed and at least half the people there enjoy the show for what it is rather than taking everything as gospel.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Last day to subscribe to Midnight in the Desert for just $5 a month.

After August 20, the monthly fee will go up to $8 a month.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

shoplifter posted:

Just join Bellgab if there's no IRC. It's usually pretty level headed and at least half the people there enjoy the show for what it is rather than taking everything as gospel.

really? I imagine bellgab as being insufferable. thats surprising

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

It doesn't seem that bad to me, I just lurk but they hate Dave for sure. The live show threads seem reasonable.

In other news, I canceled my Rense.com (zionists, zionists, zionists) subscription three months ago and I still have access. Guess I'll raid that for all it's worth, which isn't much.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 19, 2015

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Got home really late last night and fired up the Dark Matter stream anyway. The amount of podcasters actually complaining the Art is back was surprising and pathetically hilarious.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Dr. Benway posted:

Got home really late last night and fired up the Dark Matter stream anyway. The amount of podcasters actually complaining the Art is back was surprising and pathetically hilarious.

You mean people who have other shows on the Dark Matter stream? I haven't listened to any of them. Who was complaining?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Last night's show was a wet fart. "21st Century Malachi Martin" my rear end.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Dr. Benway posted:

Who is bitching about Art being back? People with competing shows?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bloodysabbath posted:

I made it about 1/2 hour in, dude shoulda led with the exorcisms or whatever.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

bloodysabbath posted:

His entire Twitter account is basically about how much he loves Ted Cruz, which says all you really need to know.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Didn't really commit any of the shows names to memory. They're all related to paranormal weirdness. One guy made a comment along the lines that Art took the best time slot. Then two guys complaining that Art got three hours and they only get one. It was sad.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

i would pay upwards of $25 to see a video of art and joe rogan floating in a tank together while tripping on ayahuasca

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I keep hearing what sounds like snoring or wheezing but listening closely I think it's Art's E-cig

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Dr. Benway posted:

Didn't really commit any of the shows names to memory. They're all related to paranormal weirdness. One guy made a comment along the lines that Art took the best time slot. Then two guys complaining that Art got three hours and they only get one. It was sad.

I caught a bit of one of the other shows where the host introduced his guest by saying he was pretty excited to talk to the guy, even though he usually only gets that excited for someone with boobs. There were several other cringe-worthy elements to that show too. I think it was Paranormal Filler, which doesn't have a show archive anywhere. That's probably a good way to have a podcast, not make it available anywhere.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Never mind that the only reason DMDN even exists is because Art was going to try to do something similar to what he's doing now immediately after he quit Sirius, and realized he couldn't without getting sued into oblivion.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

shoplifter posted:

Never mind that the only reason DMDN even exists is because Art was going to try to do something similar to what he's doing now immediately after he quit Sirius, and realized he couldn't without getting sued into oblivion.

Exactly this. The complainants DO realize they only have the audience/slots they have in the first place because Art's legal issues required a set of benchwarmers for 730 days, right?

Anyhow, GIS tonight. They had one of the best classic shows from Art's C2C run so if tonight is half as good, I'm happy.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

Exactly this. The complainants DO realize they only have the audience/slots they have in the first place because Art's legal issues required a set of benchwarmers for 730 days, right?

I don't get what they're on. If they're really eager for more 'airtime,' they could put their podcasts onto the web. That said, I do want to see more of Nightwatch, as the episode I heard had the guy interviewing B-Movie legend Graydon Clark.

Edit: Ha, here's the archives! http://www.zombiebloodbath.com/nightwatch/nw-archives.html

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

edit: Nevermind, it seems to be working now

People Stew fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Riptor posted:

Downcast works great and supports password protection

Do you have a recommendation for Android? :(

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Art is on Periscope right now :buddy:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

quote:

MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT
We have a decision to make and I think I have made it. We can either serve our listener's and Time Traveler's or Radio Stations but not both because the stations want more Commercials. I am not going to do that. If they want to carry the show we will let them offset it to a later time but we will Not add more Commercial minutes. So what we can give them is ratings because what we are doing is clearly better in every way then anything else out there. For this reason I have said no to several big stations. I could build another big Network but then I would have what I left because it became something I could not live with. Those who do not learn from their mistakes repeat them.
Art

Oh dear. I think at this point Art has enough listeners on the Time Travel plan to carry him for a while, but I hope pulling the show from terrestrial radio doesn't start some kind of downward tailspin like before. :|

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

Oh dear. I think at this point Art has enough listeners on the Time Travel plan to carry him for a while, but I hope pulling the show from terrestrial radio doesn't start some kind of downward tailspin like before. :|

Is he actually pulling the show from terrestrial radio, or just saying no to further stations?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My interpretation is that he's saying no to more commercial breaks to several big stations, who maybe are thinking of airing in competition or instead of C2C? From what I can tell, he has fewer ads than C2C, or maybe his show is just that much more listenable. So naturally, current and interested stations both are probably dangling bucks in his face and asking for more commercial breaks.

ARTICHAGA

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It looks like he is willing to let any number of stations sign up, they just have to deal with not having any advertising (or perhaps a small amount of advertising if there weren't enough network ads) of their own to sell during the Art Bell hours. From a station's perspective, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do that because, while yes, you will have listeners, you can't sell that fact to your advertisers because there isn't anything available to sell them. There is only so much value to a spot running towards or immediately after the show with all the listeners.

His compromise to them is to let them run the show, on what would essentially be a bit of a delay. They could effectively pause his stream to run a local ad break after the network ad break then resume with the show. So as the show went along, it would be increasingly delayed so it would end at 0330 or whatever instead of 0300.

This would be a horrible business decision if he was starting out and building an audience, but the man is 70, he's just in it for the personal enjoyment he gets out of it. So as long as he isn't losing his shirt and continuing to enjoy the experience, we will keep getting new episodes. And not falling on rebar I guess, that can take a bit out of a guy. But if he either starts bleeding money or not getting the guests (and to some degree callers) to keep it interesting, then he'll shut it down.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 26, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

From a station's perspective, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to do that because, while yes, you will have listeners, you can't sell that fact to your advertisers because there isn't anything available to sell them. There is only so much value to a spot running towards or immediately after the show with all the listeners.

A radio station couldn't just insert ad slots and let the show get more delayed as it aired? They could make the show 3.5 hours long, with 30 min. worth of paid advertisement slots added? Seems like Art would agree to that, as long as the station ran all of the content from his stream.

I am really curious how many paid subscriptions have been sold for MitD by now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Listening to him on 5085kHz out of Tennessee, I'm sitting here in Albuquerque and it's great hearing him over shortwave.

Oh no, CERN is gonna kill us all on the 23rd!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Inveigle posted:

A radio station couldn't just insert ad slots and let the show get more delayed as it aired? They could make the show 3.5 hours long, with 30 min. worth of paid advertisement slots added? Seems like Art would agree to that, as long as the station ran all of the content from his stream.

Yeah, that is what I meant, I just wrote it out of order. I'll edit it to make sense (I hope).

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Man am I glad I randomly checked RGD, I had no idea Art was back! This is fantastic news :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Truth or Trash tonight! Haven't heard this in years.

Apparently many of the callers aren't all that familiar with it either, which explains some of the early uneasiness.

Anyway, for anyone listening and wondering how they would solve that cat in the tree problem in Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Nr31Lv6H8

• Locked thread