Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What statistics?

Ah not statistics I guess but a list of the 23 most played nations. Ming does make the cut actually, for some reason I thought it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VDay posted:

What happens if I get elected as HRE emperor before turning Holland into the Netherlands?

e: Wait nevermind, for some reason I thought the Netherlands is a merchant republic and would flip me to that from my monarchy. I'm assuming it'll be fine then.

So after actually checking the result of the Netherlands switching event I noticed that it does say that my provinces won't be part of the HRE anymore, so I guess my question remains. I'm ok with it if it just kicks me out of being Emperor, but I don't want to become Emperor if it then prevents me from switching to the Netherlands and I have to wait like 50 years for my dude to die. Anyone know what happens?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's an event which fires after becoming the Netherlands which gives you the choice to stay with your current government or switch to the unique Dutch Republic (which is easily one of the best forms of government in the game). If you're Emperor and have not made the title hereditary, changing to a republican government will cost you the Emperor title. If it's hereditary, you'll keep it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ok that makes sense, I thought I remembered something about the Dutch being turned into a republic. If I'm going that route to get an achievement, should I bother rejoining the HRE after the switch? They pretty much all love me since I spent like 20 years doing nothing but improving relations, but I'd be stuck being a duchy on top of not being able to become Emperor right? Would trying to become an elector be worth it?

If I'm better off leaving but am definitely going to be the next Emperor before then, should I just spend the entire time as emperor trying to gently caress everybody in the HRE over? Expanding as much as possible, absorbing as many OPMs/minors as possible to kill the IA rate, and just generally being a dick to everybody but the electors?

Just not sure how I should be going about it since it's a weird mashup of like the 2-3 major game mechanics that I'm least familiar with.

e: Wait, to clarify: if I pass the hereditary reform as emperor and then switch to a republic I'll still get to keep being emperor?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

VDay posted:

e: Wait, to clarify: if I pass the hereditary reform as emperor and then switch to a republic I'll still get to keep being emperor?

Unless it was changed in Common Sense, yes. Once the title becomes hereditary, it stays with that nation unless/until that nation is fully annexed by another. I think it might switch to the greater partner in a PU if you somehow manage to enforce a PU on the Emperor, but I'm not sure on that. Otherwise the "hereditary title" part is just flavor text, what it really means is that there are no more votes for Emperor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ottomans game complete, in that I am tired of it. This is the closest I have ever approached to a WC (not close at all), and by god do I never want to do that again.

And holy poo poo are level 8 forts ever annoying. Even if you catch them with 1000 garrison, enjoy having a -7 on all your siege rolls! By the end I was using the 30k manpower I gained every month to build 100k armies of pure infantry, move them to ongoing sieges, and just assault them down. Even with the full +3 Walls Breached bonus, I would sometimes lose 200k men and still not actually win the assault. Late game forts really need a look; if anything they should be way less useful as the game goes on.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a reason Austria cannot immediately release Aquileia from Gorz? Do you need to have more than a single core to release a province now or something?

Edit: Ah, you presumably need the tag's default capital.

GSD fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 19, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You must own at least one province that has a core and that tag's primary culture. Capital has nothing to do with it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
It's not that actually, it's that you need to have one of their cores which is of their primary culture. Aquileia is Venetian, while Gorz is Austrian. (This is also why you can never resurrect the Livonian Order if they die, as they're Prussians without any Prussian land.)

efb

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

GSD posted:

Is there a reason Austria cannot immediately release Aquileia from Gorz? Do you need to have more than a single core to release a province now or something?

Edit: Ah, you presumably need the tag's default capital.

Is it the right culture for Aquileia? That is a requirement.

efbbbbbb

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there any way to have your vassals add their provinces to the HRE if they have some non-HRE ones?

e: If you're the Emperor.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 19, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, right. I knew about the primary culture thing, but I guess I had never noticed what Aquileia's primary culture actually was. That, or I didn't notice Gorz wasn't it.

Oh well, it isn't difficult to just take Friuli and then release them, instead of doing it the other way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jazerus posted:

Plus, if you play the contact with the Portuguese right they'll give you a baller army bonus for ten years that makes the Mamluks even less capable of fighting back.

What does this mean?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

You must own at least one province that has a core and that tag's primary culture. Capital has nothing to do with it.

Same culture group is sufficient actually, I found this out by releasing a single province Bulgaria in that one Serbian province they have a core on.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've come back to EU4 after a year long break and I've got two questions (using the beta 1.13 patch):

Why isn't Breda flipping back to my control? Both Utrecht and Holland have got maintained forts. Later on the guys in Antwerpen left, but Breda still remained occupied.

And how do you switch to playing colonial nations? I've got Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado, which is what I thought would be required, but I may be dumb/blind and cannot see the option to switch control.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason why I'd prefer to have a colonial nation, rather than just owning the land directly? I'm still thinking about where I'd like to toss my little caribbean merchant republic. Trinidad is a North American island with a strait to South America, which would allow me to settle both continents without having to deal with colonial nations, but am I coming out ahead by avoiding them? Would it be better in some way to instead double down on colonial nations, even if I'm a new world power? Do you colonize faster if you've got CN's chipping in or something? I haven't played much EU4 at all, so there might be some obvious tradeoffs that I'm missing.

Edit: If doubling down has some perks, I might just make the Caribbean its own continent, which I guess would allow me to integrate some coastlines on both continents while spinning off the stuff further inland

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The distant overseas autonomy cap makes the land garbage if you hold it yourself; CNs will be able to do enough with it to field a modest army and/or navy to help you out, while giving you a small amount of income in tariffs and a decent amount of trade power. Most appealing of all, you get a free merchant once your CN reaches 10 provinces. Just form them.

E: note to self do not post when half asleep, uh yeah hold it yourself if you can get 0% autonomy. Make sure not to gently caress up your ordering of colonisation or anything and accidentally form one

Allyn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Allyn posted:

The distant overseas autonomy cap makes the land garbage if you hold it yourself; CNs will be able to do enough with it to field a modest army and/or navy to help you out, while giving you a small amount of income in tariffs and a decent amount of trade power. Most appealing of all, you get a free merchant once your CN reaches 10 provinces. Just form them.

E: note to self do not post when half asleep, uh yeah hold it yourself if you can get 0% autonomy. Make sure not to gently caress up your ordering of colonisation or anything and accidentally form one

You also get an annual shipment of gold, if your CN has any gold provinces. Im not sure, but think that's the rule, because on my last game I had 3 CNs and got this only for the one that did had a gold province.

It really helped my economy, I could keep at having around 10-15 negative monthly income because I would get 250g from my colony every year. It also gives you some inflation, though. But I think is well worthy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you can own the land directly without autonomy then that's better than having a CN, although in that case you'll probably want to take Trade as one of your ideas to avoid having the Europeans come in and redirect all your trade routes away from you. Also I have no idea how the timing works out when you start in the region, but you might want to form at least a couple of CNs just to colonize and block off the Europeans faster. CNs don't help you colonize directly, but they do all take Expansion as their first idea so they get their own colonist and will slowly expand by themselves. It's nothing spectacular (they get like a 75% malus to settlers) but it does add up over decades/centuries and might be the difference between you shutting the Europeans out and having them sneak through and get a foothold.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Going to double post but I just had one of my Catholic HRE vassals spawn a center of reformation seemingly without actually converting to Protestant. Is there an event that does that, or is that some kind of bug? It's been like two months since the reformation popped and so far only Sweden and England are Protestant nations. My vassal is still Catholic but his province has been flipped to Protestant and there's a center of reformation on it. I thought only the first three converted nations got those? Is there a chance that he somehow converted to Protestant and then immediately converted back? I have the event popups active for the reformation and got messages about Sweden and England but nothing mentioning my vassal. Here's a religious map of Europe at the time:

As you can see it's still super early on and no other nations besides Sweden and England are Protestant. The CoR is in the bigger blob right in the middle of the HRE there. On top of that, the lone Protestant province in the top of the HRE there didn't actually get converted by the center, and doesn't have a Religious Zeal modifier on it so the owner is just casually flipping it back to Catholic. Did something weird happen here or is it just the game helping Protestantism along?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

VDay posted:

Going to double post but I just had one of my Catholic HRE vassals spawn a center of reformation seemingly without actually converting to Protestant. Is there an event that does that, or is that some kind of bug? It's been like two months since the reformation popped and so far only Sweden and England are Protestant nations. My vassal is still Catholic but his province has been flipped to Protestant and there's a center of reformation on it. I thought only the first three converted nations got those? Is there a chance that he somehow converted to Protestant and then immediately converted back? I have the event popups active for the reformation and got messages about Sweden and England but nothing mentioning my vassal. Here's a religious map of Europe at the time:

As you can see it's still super early on and no other nations besides Sweden and England are Protestant. The CoR is in the bigger blob right in the middle of the HRE there. On top of that, the lone Protestant province in the top of the HRE there didn't actually get converted by the center, and doesn't have a Religious Zeal modifier on it so the owner is just casually flipping it back to Catholic. Did something weird happen here or is it just the game helping Protestantism along?

The event which fires the reformation occurs randomly and does not forcibly convert you. Independent countries will (almost always) convert, but vassals won't.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Whoever said that staying under a PU basically nullifies any AE is a genius. I managed to snag all of scandinavia sans sjaelland by 1490. The hardest part is trying to stay a subject under the PU when you're constantly clowning on Denmark. My first run had the king die ~5 years in, my successful run had him die an old man a few days after I declared my second "independence" war, and I was able to sneak back under the PU as long as I didn't declare independence in the peace deal.

There was also a opportunistic war waged on Denmark by Scotland which kept the danes occupied for the entirety of the ten year truce I had with them. They went bankrupt twice and it was a constant battle between Scotland, Denmark, and the hordes of rebels (who also fought themselves). They ended up taking orkney and giving me my cores back, only to rival me the instant I achieved actual independence.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 19, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is there any reason why I'd prefer to have a colonial nation, rather than just owning the land directly? I'm still thinking about where I'd like to toss my little caribbean merchant republic. Trinidad is a North American island with a strait to South America, which would allow me to settle both continents without having to deal with colonial nations, but am I coming out ahead by avoiding them? Would it be better in some way to instead double down on colonial nations, even if I'm a new world power? Do you colonize faster if you've got CN's chipping in or something? I haven't played much EU4 at all, so there might be some obvious tradeoffs that I'm missing.

Edit: If doubling down has some perks, I might just make the Caribbean its own continent, which I guess would allow me to integrate some coastlines on both continents while spinning off the stuff further inland

If someone blocks that strait, will that result in a bunch of colonial nations instantly popping up out of your former colonies? That would be really funny if you'd colonized all of South America before it happened.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If you convert a Sunset Invasion save file, you'll eventually see the Inca take Panama and watch the Aztec's South American lands become Aztec Columbia. They'll never be able to reincorporate that land. It's really dumb and countries native to the New World shouldn't be able to have colonial nations outside of Australia.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Whoever said that staying under a PU basically nullifies any AE is a genius. I managed to snag all of scandinavia sans sjaelland by 1490. The hardest part is trying to stay a subject under the PU when you're constantly clowning on Denmark. My first run had the king die ~5 years in, my successful run had him die an old man a few days after I declared my second "independence" war, and I was able to sneak back under the PU as long as I didn't declare independence in the peace deal.

There was also a opportunistic war waged on Denmark by Scotland which kept the danes occupied for the entirety of the ten year truce I had with them. They went bankrupt twice and it was a constant battle between Scotland, Denmark, and the hordes of rebels (who also fought themselves). They ended up taking orkney and giving me my cores back, only to rival me the instant I achieved actual independence.

You still get the AE but you can't be coalitioned, never mind the fact that no one is going to coalition you for taking lovely, poor Scandinavia anyway. If you actually break free in the first war you can do even more fun things like expand around the Baltic and join the HRE.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I always figured the AI was programmed to stay below 100% overextension, but seems like that's not the case. Going all the way to 295% overextension seems a bit extreme though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Node posted:

What does this mean?

You get an event around 1500 where the Portuguese cruise up and introduce themselves. You can either be a dick or tell them that they're welcome back. They'll come back a few years later and offer you a choice of modifiers that last ten years or so. The only one worth taking is the military modifier because it's super beefy, 10% discipline and morale, and with that bonus you can take out an even-tech army like the Mamluks even if you're a bit outnumbered.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

When you finally break free, let us know how the Russian situation pans out. The "stay in PU while you gobble Scandanavia" idea is pretty cool, but it also means you don't have the diplomatic freedom to puppet Novgorod before they get annexed and otherwise kneecap Moscovy before they become a monster.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Does the Extended History mod break Iron Man achievements? Does it automatically include "modern" states like the USSR?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Does the Extended History mod break Iron Man achievements? Does it automatically include "modern" states like the USSR?

Yeah it would. Any "content" mod will break Ironman, UI and visual mods are fine though.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Epinephrine posted:

When you finally break free, let us know how the Russian situation pans out. The "stay in PU while you gobble Scandanavia" idea is pretty cool, but it also means you don't have the diplomatic freedom to puppet Novgorod before they get annexed and otherwise kneecap Moscovy before they become a monster.

Haha, yeah, about that. Lithuania managed to stay independent, but luck would have it that they are in a loving ~triple alliance~ with both Poland and Muscovy. Poland declared war on the Teutons shortly after I vassalized them, Muscovy and Lithuania had tons of troops but my superior ideas/tech managed to let me win despite being outnumbered almost 2:1. I barely managed to survive, taking Danzig and one other baltic province for my vassal TO. They've formed Prussia and I've since made them my March.

Novgorod still exists as three provinces surrounding their capital, and I'm thinking I'm just going to annex them because I've taken most of the lovely northern/karelian territory for myself already. I can see through the fog of war that Muscovy hasn't started colonizing either of the two provinces touching perm, but they've done a fair amount of horde crushing so I'm assuming they've started further east.

Meanwhile Pomerania still has control of Seeland after they sniped it off of Denmark when they were an OPM, and I've been unable to take it due to their Forever Alliance with the monstrous HRE emperor Bohemia.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 20, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jazerus posted:

You get an event around 1500 where the Portuguese cruise up and introduce themselves. You can either be a dick or tell them that they're welcome back. They'll come back a few years later and offer you a choice of modifiers that last ten years or so. The only one worth taking is the military modifier because it's super beefy, 10% discipline and morale, and with that bonus you can take out an even-tech army like the Mamluks even if you're a bit outnumbered.

I just got it. It's awesome. Too bad it only lasts ten years.

Historically, Ethiopia kept the ambassador prisoner. They could have had an amazing army if only they listened to Paradox.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

New dev diary about the nation designer this time.

you can save idea sets now :toot: also shooting for more color options and emblems and patterns. I hope they figure out a new interface for picking those if they add a lot of new types, or at least let you toggle them by region or whatever, scrolling through 32 emblems is annoying enough as it is.

no word on modifying existing nations though so I guess that's not gonna be feasible for a while
This was like 4 pages ago but thanks for posting it, I am excited to see that they are putting some more polish on the Nation Designer.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Node posted:

Historically, Ethiopia kept the ambassador prisoner. They could have had an amazing army if only they listened to Paradox.

They could've kept out the Prussians, which is much more impressive than Italians

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Node posted:

That's to be expected from followers of Corrupt Christianity.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just sniped all the provinces up to Cairo while the Mamluks were having a Peasant's War followed by a civil war.

The Ottomans are going to destroy me when they take the Conquer Egypt mission, aren't they?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Jesus, I just learned a very important lesson about vassal feeding and liberty desire. Namely: don't feed them to over 100 development if you're not over 100 development yourself.

Tunisia is actually a really fun start, though, I recommend it highly.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Node posted:

I just sniped all the provinces up to Cairo while the Mamluks were having a Peasant's War followed by a civil war.

The Ottomans are going to destroy me when they take the Conquer Egypt mission, aren't they?

The conquer egypt mission actually only gives them claims on mamluks land.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Thanqol posted:

Jesus, I just learned a very important lesson about vassal feeding and liberty desire. Namely: don't feed them to over 100 development if you're not over 100 development yourself.

Tunisia is actually a really fun start, though, I recommend it highly.

I really wish at least one of the Berber Nations had a unique idea set that wasn't loving loving Granada, since you need about a million restarts to get a game where's it's only nearly impossible to survive instead of actually impossible to survive. This is doubly criminal since the Granada idea set is pretty unique and cool imo while the Berber one is hot garbage.

My gripes aside, North Africa is pretty fun and Tunis has a great start. More often than not, you can open up the game by grabbing two vassals and an alliance with the Ottomans on Day 1. Not to mention you're well-poised to snipe land from Aragon should you get the chance. Though this patch seems to have Iberia decide to make the Reconquista just a regular conquista and make a triple-alliance to gang-murder everyone in North Africa which is a huge problem since any one of them has better land, tech, and units than you.

Node posted:

If this is still your Ethiopia run you're talking about, it's basically a ticking time bomb until doom once you share a border with the Ottomans. The main point of moving up into Egypt is so you can get close enough to the other Christian nations to snag an ally that's able to force the Ottomans into a two-front war..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I lucked out with my Eth game. Got both Spain and Austria as allies and they did all the fighting for me.

• Locked thread