Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kinda goes to show how ridiculous a fanbase can get. Didn't stuff like this happen with Retsupurae too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

A few times yeah. It's part of the reason they don't do their namesake much anymore. On top of that Youtube has changed a lot since they started and who knows how people will misconstrue a parody video these days, especially with facecams being the rule and not the exception. It's hard to say if you could technically file under harassment if sombodies actual fave is there on the screen or not.

Although i do kind of miss the days when anybody that got RP'd usually answeres with some kind of death threat since they didnt know much better :allears:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Golden Goat posted:

Kinda goes to show how ridiculous a fanbase can get. Didn't stuff like this happen with Retsupurae too?

There was a bit of a stink a couple years ago (2013 I think?) because apparently a woman who got RP'd in something like 2008 was still getting occasional harrasment years later on her deviant art and other places.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
What do ya'll think of this?

Konami approved it and is giving a review copy to "GameOverGreggy" - who doesn't seem to do much in terms of Let's Play (he even calls it "Let's Plays" here) to do... well, something like two weeks before release. He's clarified that he's only doing up through mission 5.

I'll say I wasn't a fan of the idea, but curious to what others think.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Personally I'm just surprised it took this long for a producer to try it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:shrug:
The video quality on their let's plays look fine. Probably overdoing it by having it every day.

Honestly don't know if this is a good experiment for using LPs as advertisement before a release.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

The video quality on their let's plays look fine. Probably overdoing it by having it every day.

One weird thing; I don't know if they know what a Let's Play is - they have an 18-minute LP of Battletoads, a 24-minute LP of Volume. I guess this is kind of like a Quick Look?

Is this the biggest person Konami could find (Greg Miller used to work for IGN) that hadn't slagged them off on social media?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They don't, but i'm not gonna argue about "what is a let's play" beyond saying at it's base it's playing video games to entertain others.

slowbeef posted:

Is this the biggest person Konami could find (Greg Miller used to work for IGN) that hadn't slagged them off on social media?
Only realized now that the problem of doing this is that they'll have to go for the whole duration of this LP without bringing that up of Konami will take them down.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

They don't, but i'm not gonna argue about "what is a let's play" beyond saying at it's base it's playing video games to entertain others.

Oh sure. I just think it's odd, because there's all the Day 1 LPs, and now there's like a "Two Weeks Pre-Release" kind of deal that's not really an LP, but it's using the name. Plus it's Konami which is super trigger happy on copyright strikes/claims on LPs, YouTube videos who are getting out of the business anyway.

So, they buying back PR? Or... I don't know. It's a marketing tactic of some variety, and maybe there's nothing more to it?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I sure they're just calling it a LP cause it's popular and will draw attention. Kind of like a "Hey you cool kids like X, right? Well check this dope poo poo out!" thing. I doubt you can really do a pre-release LP because I doubt the developer want you to ruin the whole game before it releases.

Konami have basically dragged their name through mud so i'd be more surprised if they did nothing to try and win people over. This definitely stinks of them wanting to win people back.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The last post raised two questions in my mind:

A LP doesn't necessarily need to be complete to qualify as such, does it? It's expected that they do, but it's not really obligatory, right?
And what has Konami done to ruin its reputation like that? I really need to find a way to keep abreast of gaming news...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

And what has Konami done to ruin its reputation like that? I really need to find a way to keep abreast of gaming news...

Ask Kojima.

E: Also going "Hey check out the pre-lp (pronounced prelip) of MGS5!" just makes me think more about how they've poorly handled the whole Kojima thing.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 20, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

paradoxGentleman posted:

http://www.geek.com/games/the-only-thing-konami-hates-more-than-you-is-silent-hill-1630257/

quote:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

paradoxGentleman posted:

A LP doesn't necessarily need to be complete to qualify as such, does it? It's expected that they do, but it's not really obligatory, right?

Nah, not really. It's not the first time a company's used LP for marketing. I remember hearing about how NoE did an 8 or so part LP of Xenoblade to promote that game and then invited fans to do their own too.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Let me tell you about a little something called EROTIC VIOLENCE.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Let's be fair, the pachinko machine was the rock bottom. Konami's been treating Silent Hill like poo poo for ages now. I think axing Kojima really solidified how lovely they are.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oddly enough I was looking up Let's Play and other terminology on the wikipedias after trying to figure out who GameOverGreggy was.

It's entirely possible that a lot of SA LPs are actually Longplays, since most of them aim to finish the game while showing off as much as possible. Just Longplays with commentary, I suppose. That seems to be the big difference. Also since I'm not much of a jokeman in my solo LPs I could be part of that. PART OF THE PROBLEM HERE BOYS, NO NEED TO THANK ME.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The last post raised two questions in my mind:

Here, paradox, this will explain everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uphcEJW-MDA

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

dscruffy1 posted:

It's entirely possible that a lot of SA LPs are actually Longplays, since most of them aim to finish the game while showing off as much as possible.

Actually, I think most folks outside consider LP to mean "whole game with commentary." (Longplays are usually no-commentary)

I'm not saying you can't "Let's Play Stage 1 Only" or what have you, just that when you say "I'm going to LP a game!" most folks here and outside think "I'm going to record a video game playthrough and caption/narrate it to explain context, be funny, whatever."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Here an LP is "I (usually) know this game and I'm going to show it off" on youtube it tends to mean "anything from blind bumbling to smooth runs"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

drat, that really is a shame. They could at least sell their IPs if they are not willing to use them for anything more substantial than Pachinko machine, I'm sure it would get them a lot more money.

watho posted:

Here, paradox, this will explain everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uphcEJW-MDA

I appreciate this guy's thoroughness, but I always get a shiver of worry whenever I read "hardcore gamer" anywhere.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

drat, that really is a shame. They could at least sell their IPs if they are not willing to use them for anything more substantial than Pachinko machine, I'm sure it would get them a lot more money.

I appreciate this guy's thoroughness, but I always get a shiver of worry whenever I read "hardcore gamer" anywhere.

They make billions of dollars from the gambling industry in Japan, far more than gaming, which is why they have been moving away from it.

From a business perspective I get it, from a gamer perspective it really sucks. They own a couple of my all time favorite franchises (Suikoden being #1 on that list)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

Konami approved it and is giving a review copy to "GameOverGreggy" - who doesn't seem to do much in terms of Let's Play (he even calls it "Let's Plays" here) to do... well, something like two weeks before release. He's clarified that he's only doing up through mission 5.

I'll say I wasn't a fan of the idea, but curious to what others think.

Isn't that the site that was made by the hilariously lovely editors from IGN that got fired?

I'd find it lovely if they DMCA'd people who were doing LPs but not those guys, then again YouTube has their system abused all the time so I'd not really be surprised.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh yeah, now I remember where I heard that name before. It led to this ridiculous image:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Could be worse, they could give it to someone who has no idea about Metal Gear so we get a lot of "Big Boss? I thought his name was Solid Snake? And where's Otacon?"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobjr posted:

Could be worse, they could give it to someone who has no idea about Metal Gear so we get a lot of "Big Boss? I thought his name was Solid Snake? And where's Otacon?"

So...DarkSydePhil?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Unfunny Poster posted:

So...DarkSydePhil?

Well, if it were DSP, he'd just forget about the "till mission 5" limit, go WAY over that thanks to his program that cuts and renders his videos for him, and constantly become bewildered when they all get taken down.

Or just not know how to use a review copy, thinking it needs to go into his VCR or something.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Phil and Konami could probably bond over mutual dislike of Kojima.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

HGH posted:

Oh yeah, now I remember where I heard that name before. It led to this ridiculous image:

"This has been my book report on Dead Space. I hope you liked reading my book report on Dead Space."

(Was Greggy the article-writer or was he the red pen?)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The writer, the corrector guy was an angry english teacher I think.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the other guys from that new site was the dude from IGN who went on a rant about how during the Mass Effect 3 thing people upset with the ending were just being entitled shits etc. in one of the more douchey ways people were saying it at the time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Unfunny Poster posted:

So...DarkSydePhil?

DSP has lost his ability to stream from copyright claims, so he'll be lucky if he even gets the ability to poo poo on Kojima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6JTbEQmbE8

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

I dislike the idea. The initial announcement didn't even specify how long he would play or if he would cut content. And then you have people on sites like reddit wondering if the "LPer" is going to skip cutscenes and important conversations because spoilers. Is he going to show off more than what we've seen from gameplay demos? Probably not, and certainly not performed as effortlessly as we have seen previously. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed off much less content than the demos, which begs the question why bother to begin with.

In a way, it feels like opening a gift early. It feels great and you're excited about it, but it takes away something from the gift as well. Although, that might just be me.

In any case, I'll be keeping my blinders on until the 1st where I will enjoy it to its fullest.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In a way, it feels like opening a gift early. It feels great and you're excited about it, but it takes away something from the gift as well. Although, that might just be me.

In any case, I'll be keeping my blinders on until the 1st where I will enjoy it to its fullest.

Opening a gift early gets you the gift. This is like opening said gift, licking the box, then wrapping it back up and waiting for the promised day.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

DSP has lost his ability to stream from copyright claims, so he'll be lucky if he even gets the ability to poo poo on Kojima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6JTbEQmbE8

:cripes:

So now that is Blip.TV, Twitch.tv, (Hibox?), and YouTube that he's been banned from.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Genocyber posted:

Opening a gift early gets you the gift. This is like opening said gift, licking the box, then wrapping it back up and waiting for the promised day.

Hahaha very true.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

:cripes:

So now that is Blip.TV, Twitch.tv, (Hibox?), and YouTube that he's been banned from.

Tbf to dsp (not something I thought I'd ever say) this one looks like it's not actually on him. Which is the real surprise, I think.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, if you could find a way to harness how much youtube rolls over at the slightest hint of a copyright claim, you could power the entire western hemisphere.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In completely unrelated stuff with the DSP/MGS V thing, I just found out someone has been taking some of my videos and re-uploading them in-full to their YouTube channel.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
revolver ocelot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unfunny Poster posted:

In completely unrelated stuff with the DSP/MGS V thing, I just found out someone has been taking some of my videos and re-uploading them in-full to their YouTube channel.

Oooh, I wanna hear how this turns out :allears:

• Locked thread