Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

I went to India for 2 weeks and I'd like to locate some of the ingredients back in the US.

Anyone know where I can buy Kerala kandhari chili peppers?

There are 3-4 Indian grocery stores and convenience stores near my house, and they all sell giant super cheap bags of those, as well as any other spices you can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are all canned yams canned in syrup? Are they weird and mushy?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Any goon recommended recipes for mango salsa? I was thinking to serve it as a side for chile verde, something sweet to offset the tartness a bit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

C'mon, I know some of you got some lamb heart recipes. Wiggles! Anyone?

Sorry. I only get one heart per animal when I slaughter, so I always save them up to do a big batch of anticuchos.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Are ceramic pans good as non stick pans?
I haven't used them but it seems they do not last nearly as long as non stick.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Jan posted:

Any goon recommended recipes for mango salsa? I was thinking to serve it as a side for chile verde, something sweet to offset the tartness a bit.

Foodwishes did a mango salsa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_5NOXWpGw

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/06/mahi-mahi-with-spicy-thai-chili-mango.html

I made it once and I didn't balance it right. First off, I didn't realize Seasoned Rice Vinegar and Rice Vinegar were two different things. Second, there was too much vinegar in it, and I thought it needed a pinch of salt. I didn't do anything about it, because I forgot to taste while making it. I'm gonna give it another try some day.

Oh and I used serrano peppers because my grocery store doesn't sell anything called Thai Chili.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 20, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

I have a 5 liter IKEA dutch oven and I could probably fit two normal sized, a 1,5 kilo or about 3 pounds, chickens in it.

I dunno about where you are, but the chickens I see at the grocery are usually 5-6 lbs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I bought some pancetta at a nice butcher, but I'm stuck with the end piece, which has a lot of white mold on it, do I need to remove every little bit of white mold?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 21, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If the mold isn't green and furry, go for it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Just cook it as is. I mean, the good cheeses are filled with mold.

Flavor compounds.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"If it smells good, the ham will be good; if bad, it should be thrown away."
- Platina

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

On the slate podcast of all places, I was hearing about saving the bean "liquor" leftover from the pressure cooker for re-use in other dishes like rice. Anyone here do that? Have any recommendations?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ron Jeremy posted:

On the slate podcast of all places, I was hearing about saving the bean "liquor" leftover from the pressure cooker for re-use in other dishes like rice. Anyone here do that? Have any recommendations?

Yep, do that, but not with kidney beans or cannellini - the phytohaemagglutinin is more concentrated in the broth.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I use any remaining broth from cooking lentils as the base for veggie soups. Bean broth would probably work too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We tried so hard to find a good tasty use for bean liquor at the really nice restaurant I used to work at and we just couldn't do it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We tried so hard to find a good tasty use for bean liquor at the really nice restaurant I used to work at and we just couldn't do it.

Glad to hear. I tried it a few times as well and couldn't ever come up with anything but I have no real professional cooking experience.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Call me a poor bastard but I'll dip some bread or a roll into just about anything, or plop a spoonful on some rice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The woman made some of this last month, and it was surprisingly similar to the real thing:

Vegan Meringue Recipe – Made with Chickpea Brine!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use the bean broth to cook rice in, mainly. Other than that, I haven't really found any other uses.

It does make rice beany, though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I use the bean broth to cook rice in, mainly. Other than that, I haven't really found any other uses.

It does make rice beany, though.

If I'm making beans and rice I usually put one on top of the other, so I'm not seeing the bonus here. Unless it's worth saving until you make rice by itself next time?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

If I'm making beans and rice I usually put one on top of the other, so I'm not seeing the bonus here. Unless it's worth saving until you make rice by itself next time?

It adds a little extra flavor, I guess. I wouldn't bother saving it, though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My mom gave me some shishito peppers she grew. I've been tossing them in a pan with a little olive oil and salt, and cooking for a bit and eating them straight, and they're pretty good. Any other things/recipes I should be doing with them?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Not sure if anyone can recall this recipe, but it was a Sloppy Joe recipe posted about 4-5 years ago that I failed to save/print out. I think it was part of an ICSA or an old thread about sloppy joes. From what I recall the most distinct part of the recipe was simmering all the ingredients for 2-3 hours after combining them all together. It was a rather sweet tasting recipe, but searching the forums turns up nothing and the wiki doesnt have it.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

mastajake posted:

My mom gave me some shishito peppers she grew. I've been tossing them in a pan with a little olive oil and salt, and cooking for a bit and eating them straight, and they're pretty good. Any other things/recipes I should be doing with them?

This is really interesting and good http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/charred-cauliflower-and-shishito-peppers-with-picada-sauce

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mastajake posted:

They are used a lot in Japanese cuisine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got some chicken brined for the ad hoc at home fried chicken. What are some good sauces to make to go with it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mastajake posted:

Dry sauté, stuff with chèvre, a little s&p, drizzle with soy.

Jose posted:

I've got some chicken brined for the ad hoc at home fried chicken. What are some good sauces to make to go with it?
Country gravy: rendered animal fat (traditionally from fried sausage but you can improvise), roux, brown the roux, whisk in milk until boiling, reduce to simmer, add s&p along with whatever else (sage is traditional, as are various kinds of hot pepper). If you're going for a traditional Southern US presentation the chicken would be presented seasoned only in the breading and brine and without sauce. You'd have something like mashed potatoes and gravy on the side and could dip your chicken in that if you wanted.

Alternately, if you don't give a poo poo about traditionalism, a reduction of white wine and lemon juice seasoned with shallot and capers (like you'd make as a pan sauce with scallopini) goes well with breaded fried chicken.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I have a giant mixing bowl full of the most beautiful jalapeños from my garden. What can I do with them? Are there any jalapeño based hot sauces I could make that would be good?

I made cornbread with jalapeño last night but that only used up 3 and I have about 50 left!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Alighieri posted:

Not sure if anyone can recall this recipe, but it was a Sloppy Joe recipe posted about 4-5 years ago that I failed to save/print out. I think it was part of an ICSA or an old thread about sloppy joes. From what I recall the most distinct part of the recipe was simmering all the ingredients for 2-3 hours after combining them all together. It was a rather sweet tasting recipe, but searching the forums turns up nothing and the wiki doesnt have it.

That might have been me, 6 years ago I did Sloppy Joes for a newbie ICSA event.

Wow, my pictures were poo poo back then.

I'll have to see if I can dig the recipe out, but the core of it is the long cook: dehydrated onions slowly reconstituted in the fat, and several different sugars to caramelize (sugar, honey and ketchup).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It looks like a Cezanne. Nice.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Thanks for the ideas for the peppers, guys! I look forward to trying them out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I left the chicken I deep fried out of the fridge for 2 hours or so and used an electric deep fryer for temperature control and the fried chicken was bloody at the bone after 13 minutes as called for in the recipe and uncooked after 11. I pulled earlier than 13 minute because the coating seemed overcooked. What counts as room temperature in a US recipe and how long should I leave stuff if 2 hours isn't really making a difference

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 23, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New York Times stuck 17,000 recipes online, it's pretty decent site:

http://cooking.nytimes.com

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

New York Times stuck 17,000 recipes online, it's pretty decent site:

http://cooking.nytimes.com

This the same New York Times what put peas in guacamole?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This the same New York Times what put peas in guacamole?

Hahahaha. Really?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Hahahaha. Really?

Even Obama tweeted about it

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

What's wrong with peas and guacamole? It's just starchy, fibrous seeds immersed in unsaturated fat. It's good for ya.

At least better than sprouts and butter, tellyawhat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BattleCattle posted:

What's wrong with peas and guacamole? It's just starchy, fibrous seeds immersed in unsaturated fat. It's good for ya.

At least better than sprouts and butter, tellyawhat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Forever in agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat