Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

Or you can just stop caring if the white runs out a little. I find that to be the easiest way to deal with it.

Some people enjoy making things look nice for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nevermind, I thought we were talking about poaching

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 19, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I don't mean slightly large or whispy, I mean like 15cm long. I'm gonna try making sure the pan is really hot next time and then I'll try the other tricks. I can't time travel so there's not much I can do about the eggs being old. I guess buy smaller packs in the future, but even then I'm not eating 6 eggs a day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just scramble them if it's an issue.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Try breaking the eggs into a small dish or ramekin, and then pouring from there into the hot pan. As a bonus, this helps you deal with the occasional shell fragment.

My hosed up stove isn't anywhere close to level, so hoping for perfectly round eggs is a lost cause for me. Instead, I just tilt the pan and pour the egg so it's in the curve against the edge, and hold it for a few seconds to let it hold its shape before I set the pan down again and scoot the egg back to the middle. This doesn't work well for multiple eggs at the same time, though.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I never really thought about it before. I just heat the pan and toss in the eggs. They're usually fine, I guess.

Is that bad?

I feel bad.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Just scramble them if it's an issue.

Yeah, that works.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
GF got me some little ring mold things specifically for eggs. They don't work worth a poo poo and I never use them. Raggedy eggs for life.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just make sure your pan is hot enough (I use medium heat which on my range is more of a med-high) and pour the egg slowly into a pan so the white immediately begins cooking upon contact and doesn't have the chance to spread.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BattleCattle posted:

I never really thought about it before. I just heat the pan and toss in the eggs. They're usually fine, I guess.

Is that bad?

I feel bad.

That's fine. But it's also fine to want to eat pretty eggs.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

DekeThornton posted:

Or you can just stop caring if the white runs out a little. I find that to be the easiest way to deal with it.

When mine don't come out perfect I agree with this guy. There's nothing wrong with doing a little creative egg folding here and there if you ask me if things get a little wild. That or convert it into a fried egg sandwich and eat/enjoy your mistake greatly.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Tyson Tomko posted:

When mine don't come out perfect I agree with this guy. There's nothing wrong with doing a little creative egg folding here and there if you ask me if things get a little wild. That or convert it into a fried egg sandwich and eat/enjoy your mistake greatly.

Basically, don't be like Smashmouth and eat the eggs.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Do you guys fry eggs in cast iron pans? I'm annoyed that the non stick pans I buy don't stay non stick, but I want to be able to fry eggs easily and am not sure if cast iron is right for this

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do post bacon or whenever I have a good bit of fat in the pan. With just a bit of butter or oil I prefer something that adjusts to heat faster and won't get hot spots. Sometimes I fry an egg in stainless to get a good crisp too so ymmv

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Paperhouse posted:

Do you guys fry eggs in cast iron pans? I'm annoyed that the non stick pans I buy don't stay non stick, but I want to be able to fry eggs easily and am not sure if cast iron is right for this

Basically all I use. Sometimes I use stainless.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cast iron works great for eggs, just use a medium heat.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
$10 nonstick pan from marshalls/homegoods. Replace every 1.5 - 2 years.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Paperhouse posted:

While I tend to use my non stick pan for eggs my cast iron and carbon steel pans are so well seaasoned by now that frying eggs in them really is a non issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron works great for eggs, just use a medium heat.

I make my bacon in the cast iron, then set the bacon aside and dump all the grease into a jar. There's enough grease residue in the pan to fry a bunch of eggs.

I use my non-sticks when I'm doing an omelet because they have curved sides so they roll right out and I get bonus points for them looking awesome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Paperhouse posted:

if you have a non-stick just use that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Somebody got a good recipe for stuffed lamb hearts?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've had a set of anolon nonstick pots and pans for a few years and the only one that I've had to replace was the 8" frypan because my girlfriend used a metal fork to cook eggs for the loving dog, of all things.

If you want your nonstick poo poo to last forever (or at least a few years,) there are 3 simple rules that you must follow religiously:

1) Use nonstick-safe utensils. Plastic and silicone spatulas and poo poo. The kind that will melt if you leave them in the pan. Wood works too, but it's obviously harder to keep clean and wears more easily. Get A 15 dollar nonstick-safe "fish turner" for 90% of your tasks.

2) Use medium heat or below, especially in a relatively dry pan. You can go a notch over medium if there's liquid in the pan or you can use high heat if you're boiling water for noodles or whatever. Don't plan to sear poo poo on teflon. Keep a steel or iron pan around for that. The nonstick costing in your pans will thermally decompose at temperatures your range will easily reach. Be gentle.

3) Wash by hand. Your dishwasher will gently caress up your pans. Take 15 seconds and wash your poo poo by hand. Buy some dish towels and dry them out if you want them to look clean next time you use them.

Lots of people complain about nonstick stuff being disposable but in my experience the stuff will easily last until you break one of those rules.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My Calphalons are 5 years old now and although they're not as slick as they were when I first bought them, they're still good enough that eggs slide right off.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My immersion blender is a piece of poo poo and the casing is cracking, so I have to literally hold it together while I use it. Brand recommendations for a replacement?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

fatherdog posted:

My immersion blender is a piece of poo poo and the casing is cracking, so I have to literally hold it together while I use it. Brand recommendations for a replacement?

I've got the metal-cased cuisinart that comes with the tiny lovely food processor attachment. It wasn't crazy expensive, as far as I remember, and it works great and is easy enough to clean.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I also like my cuisinart.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fatherdog posted:

I have a KitchenAid KHB100ER that I've been happy with for the past six or seven years (of regular but not constant use). But now it's like three revisions ago and the current KitchenAid offerings have a completely different design. That's a general problem with this kind of thing---the manufacturers change designs every couple years so it's hard to find long-term reliability/durability reviews for current offerings.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^^^ I own the current two-speed, and I think it's pretty solid for power and build. I do wish it had a button to make it stay on though; safety be damned.

Is there a recommended brand of canned coconut milk?
My asian mart has about a good dozen to choose from, and :iiam: as to which is best, or what to look for.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 20, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a recommended brand of canned coconut milk?
My asian mart has about a good dozen to choose from, and :iiam: as to which is best, or what to look for.

As far as I can tell they're all pretty much the same. I buy the unprocessed stuff in the freezer when I can, but it's not always available. It's worth a look to see if yours has it, though.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Going back to backpacking food... If I were to open up a can of chicken or tuna and vacuum seal the contents, there wouldn't be any food safety risk involved, would there? Pouches are easier to pack and lighter than cans... but cans are cheaper :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes there would. You're exposing the contents to air and they would no longer be sterile.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It sounds like Chemmy's downplaying the issue, but he's just being succinct. I'd never repack canned meat unless I could moderately temperature control it. I mean, I'll eat lots of things in conditions that I'd never in my wildest dreams serve to my friends and loved ones, and even I'd never do what you're suggesting.

You'd run some pretty big risk of getting somewhat sick if you try this, especially out in 70+ degrees.

Get a different food or spring for pouches, or learn to live with the extra weight of cans - they do come in smaller serving sizes, as well, but at that point there might not be much of a cost offset. Take peanut butter instead. You're not going to die if you don't' eat meat for a few days. Or get delicious jerky.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Somebody got a good recipe for stuffed lamb hearts?

C'mon, I know some of you got some lamb heart recipes. Wiggles! Anyone?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Are ceramic pans good as non stick pans?

Also, is 6 litres/~5 quarts a big enough casserole dish/dutch oven to cook a decent size chicken? If possible could I actually go smaller?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

C'mon, I know some of you got some lamb heart recipes. Wiggles! Anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-yBgO7TGqY
I made what was essentially this recipe a few years ago. it was ~really~ good. My herbs were lemon thyme and sage. I used walnuts instead of cashews - if I made it again I'd use roasted peanuts. I didn't wrap it in bacon. I also used sauteed mushrooms in the filling.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/bacon-stuffed-braised-lamb-heart-recipe
This recipe looks really good, and he also calls for serving it on a bed of mashed potatoes, which are my most favorite thing ever. I think I'd sprinkle the heart with sweet paprika, ginger, and cayenne pepper before wrapping them in the bacon. I might go for rosemary or sage instead of the parsley, too (parsley does nothing for me).

I probably wouldn't use the sausage filling either, but make an apple/brandied-raisin thing. Turnt rye bread (or bread crumbs), mushrooms, sauteed onions and garlic, and whichever fruit. Not that sausage filling isnt' good, I just get enough of that elsewhere. :wink:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

sharktamer posted:

Are ceramic pans good as non stick pans?

Also, is 6 litres/~5 quarts a big enough casserole dish/dutch oven to cook a decent size chicken? If possible could I actually go smaller?

I have a 5 liter IKEA dutch oven and I could probably fit two normal sized, a 1,5 kilo or about 3 pounds, chickens in it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Well poo poo, I don't need something that big then. I'm completely useless with size measurements. I guess a 3 litre would be more than big enough for a decent sized chicken?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

sharktamer posted:

Well poo poo, I don't need something that big then. I'm completely useless with size measurements. I guess a 3 litre would be more than big enough for a decent sized chicken?

Yeah, probably. Something like this. Pretty much all manufacturers have pots in that size, from IKEA at the low end to Staub at the high end, depending on your budget.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

canoshiz posted:

Going back to backpacking food... If I were to open up a can of chicken or tuna and vacuum seal the contents, there wouldn't be any food safety risk involved, would there? Pouches are easier to pack and lighter than cans... but cans are cheaper :(

There are good reasons that backpacking food is expensive, and the convenience/utility of packaging is a large part of it.

Oh, and in case the other folks weren't emphatic enough, gently caress NO DON'T DO THAT.

Mister Macys posted:

I do wish it had a button to make it stay on though; safety be damned.

Clearly, you don't recall the Thummus episode. And she managed to do that with her hand on the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I went to India for 2 weeks and I'd like to locate some of the ingredients back in the US.

Anyone know where I can buy Kerala kandhari chili peppers?