Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

A client had the decade-old server that we have spent the past four years trying to get them to do something about and getting brushed off each time finally poo poo the bed today and completely fail. Leaving an office of 20 people unable to do anything for a day, and there's no backups because they didn't want to talk to us about getting any.

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA
Are they completely hosed, or do they have some out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

Are they completely hosed, or do they have some out?

They might be able to pay a data recovery company an obscene amount of money to maybe get their data back, depending on what the problem is!

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

So we finally sold to management and completed pulling local admin rights from the 250+ computers we have deployed after having two crypto scares.

Ahhh the naive optimism, you will learn, you will learn so hard :cripes:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

namol posted:

Ahhh the naive optimism, you will learn, you will learn so hard :cripes:

The fun part will be developing SDBs for all the applications that "require administrator privileges" to run properly. When you work in finance and deal with the shittiest vendors imaginable you often have to get a little creative to maintain the No Admin on Local Machines dynasty.

To anyone embarking on the lockdown adventure, I hope you've got somebody good with packaging and patching.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a good way to sell a retention policy for email to management? I don't think they would definitely be against it, but there hasn't been a compelling argument for one yet.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

myron cope posted:

Is there a good way to sell a retention policy for email to management? I don't think they would definitely be against it, but there hasn't been a compelling argument for one yet.

Depends on your industry. Storage costs, for starters; it's cheaper to store on tape/off-site retention than it is to keep on SAN/NAS storage. There's also the amount of resource your Mailbox servers need to index and function, assuming you're on Exchange. Smaller DAGs = more efficient (although this is probably reaching if you're looking for a selling point).

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

myron cope posted:

"Emails that were deleted in accordance with a document retention policy can't be produced in response to a subpoena" may be a good argument depending on what you want that policy to be.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

myron cope posted:

"Do you want an email you sent to your buddy about a job 7 years ago read outloud in court? No? Then you need a retention policy in place."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Storysmith posted:

"Emails that were deleted in accordance with a document retention policy can't be produced in response to a subpoena" may be a good argument depending on what you want that policy to be.

Mentioning the legal angle is the best route and probably the easiest to grasp.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've posted my spiel a few times.

For a specific example, look at "Climategate" one scientist advised another scientist to use a statistical 'trick' to get certain results.

I think it was pretty clear, and eight separate investigations agree with me, that by 'trick' he meant 'useful technique' Skeptics still conclude that there were shenanigans.

Here's a hypothetical situation:

You've got a coworker of the opposite sex and you are close friends, you've known her since college. In your emails, you call her a bitch, she calls you a cocksucker, it's totally cool.

Five years ago, she resigned to work for the UN helping to fight human trafficking in the third world. You still keep in touch but she doesn't really get much computer time these days.

A new employee has had some major performance problems and, with good documentation to back it up, you've fired her. She has contacted a lawyer and told me complete lies about how you have made sexually explicit comments to her verbally and in email. Her lawyer has subpoenaed your emails going as far back as you have.

I want you to imagine a lawyer reading a jokey email to a jury like it isn't a joke.
"Brenda, you can be such a moody bitch when you're on the rag."

If you're lucky, you can fly Brenda in from Cambodia to testify. What a great use of your company's budget.

Finally, let's talk about taxes and finance. I know you try really hard to follow all the laws, really. But if there was a button that caused you to be struck by lightning if you've ever broken a law, intentionally or not, would you press it?

Have you ever said something that isn't compliant with civil rights laws or hippa or other federal laws? Are you sure? Would you bet your life on it?

Email retention policy is a legal and ethical way to let old mistakes die.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 20, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

A client had the decade-old server that we have spent the past four years trying to get them to do something about and getting brushed off each time finally poo poo the bed today and completely fail. Leaving an office of 20 people unable to do anything for a day, and there's no backups because they didn't want to talk to us about getting any.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
It's ridiculous how hard it is to make a good backup with the shell. I don't blame people for not figuring out the third party solutions before things go bottoms up (but thanks for the reminder that my backups are poo poo :o:)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You've got a coworker of the opposite sex and you are close friends, you've known her since college. In your emails, you call her a bitch, she calls you a cocksucker, it's totally cool.

That sounds like a huge assumption.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't backup emails because we don't want to have to produce them in court. My girlfriend is in the middle of a wrongful termination suit and they purged all their emails thinking that would save them. Luckily she forwarded all the incriminating ones to her gmail before she left.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renegret posted:

I dunno guys I just woke up and found it like that.

yes I grabbed this straight from imgur, description says it fell in an industrial paper shredder

We had a temp who managed to get his badge caught in a (not industrial) paper shredder. Took the whole thing right up to his adam's apple. Even ate the brass keys.
I had never laughed so hard in my life.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I regularly call people bitches and cocksuckers using my work issued email address. There's no way that's considered sexual harassment, regardless of how the other party feels.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

I regularly call people bitches and cocksuckers using my work issued email address. There's no way that's considered sexual harassment, regardless of how the other party feels.

I would never ever condone that. I'm being intentionally hyperbolic to make a point. You might say one very stupid thing in an email, five, or even ten years ago, in a context where you know what's going on and the recipient knows what's going on. Do you want a lawyer reading out your inside joke to a jury?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
^^^: Pretty much this.

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah... HR gets any wind of that sort of thing and even in a joking manner, just need the friendship to go sour before they start using these emails as ammunition.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We had a temp who managed to get his badge caught in a (not industrial) paper shredder. Took the whole thing right up to his adam's apple. Even ate the brass keys.

Haha he almost got killed, so epic lol ftw.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spankmeister posted:

not exactly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would never ever condone that. I'm being intentionally hyperbolic to make a point. You might say one very stupid thing in an email, five, or even ten years ago, in a context where you know what's going on and the recipient knows what's going on. Do you want a lawyer reading out your inside joke to a jury?

I love you, Dr. Arbitrary. I'm just being purposefully obtuse. It's been a pretty poo poo morning and I'm feeling all combative.

At least the new weather girl that started today is super nice and also a huge nerd. I was on the phone with her and monitoring her screen to help her troubleshoot their radar controller and muttered "so what is your ip address?" She swooped in and Win+r>cmd>ipconfig and read me the ip address.

Competency :swoon:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Indeed. The only question you need to ask while selling a retention policy is, "Are you able, willing, and prepared to defend every e-mail you've ever sent under cross-examination by a hostile opposing counsel?"

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had an intern do this once but his badge was on a retracting doodad at the end of his lanyard so he stood there for a second while we tried to free him, looking like the world's saddest puppy. I'm still laughing just thinking about it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

spankmeister posted:

He explicitly states "non industrial".

:psyduck:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Muffinlord posted:

I had an intern do this once but his badge was on a retracting doodad at the end of his lanyard so he stood there for a second while we tried to free him, looking like the world's saddest puppy. I'm still laughing just thinking about it.

This guy gets it. Sadly I did not get to witness the event, but our former temp's description of it was sufficient to make me cry with laughter.
It's a bonus that he is rather tall and stocky, and stereotypical awkward spaz, with a nerd-y, nasal-y voice.
I miss him.

Haquer posted:

That was probably the most humorous part. I was surprised an envelope shredder could turn a handfull of brass keys to dust.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Worst case scenario is if the thing was on a lanyard around the temp's neck it could have choked them maybe.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

larchesdanrew posted:

I love you, Dr. Arbitrary. I'm just being purposefully obtuse. It's been a pretty poo poo morning and I'm feeling all combative.

At least the new weather girl that started today is super nice and also a huge nerd. I was on the phone with her and monitoring her screen to help her troubleshoot their radar controller and muttered "so what is your ip address?" She swooped in and Win+r>cmd>ipconfig and read me the ip address.

Competency :swoon:

You marry her and add a love story to this plot arc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Haquer posted:

I misunderstood the same way.
To me, there's home shredders that fit under a desk:

Then there's Office shredders:

And then there's Industrial Shredders:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dragyn posted:

I think he's already married so you'd be adding a love triangle which still makes for a good story, but I think he's got enough on his plate.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I misunderstood the same way.

But what does a guy with his tie caught in one look like?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Mattavist posted:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Ahh... reminds me to go watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYPCPB1g3o So cathartic.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mattavist posted:

:unsmigghh:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mattavist posted:

:nms: :nws: :nms:

:nms: :nws: :nms:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This guy gets it. Sadly I did not get to witness the event, but our former temp's description of it was sufficient to make me cry with laughter.
It's a bonus that he is rather tall and stocky, and stereotypical awkward spaz, with a nerd-y, nasal-y voice.
I miss him.

Ours was a guy who got flustered super easily, but could take a joke. Me, I took pictures.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The Muffinlord posted:

Ours was a guy who got flustered super easily, but could take a joke. Me, I took pictures.

B-b-but he could've DIED you monster!!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
We're all terrible people, we know. I applaud your quick action on getting pictures of it though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

We're all terrible people, we know. I applaud your quick action on getting pictures of it though.

He thinks he was doing it for humor purposes, but his hindbrain actually had him take pictures due to the well ingrained sysadmin reflex reaction of "Document how this isn't my fault."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dragyn posted:

If I wasn't already tied down by a marriage and two kids, I'd be all over it. She's a gorgeous, latino, and is weirdly humble for someone in her line of work. We spent a while discussing the Final Fantasy VII remake after I fixed her issue. I think I made my first work friend, guys :unsmith:

Content: The receptionist needed a new printer, and the GM requested an MFP so she can scan viewer mail, contest entries, etc... I picked one out that would suit her perfectly and handed the P.O. to my supervisor. The printer arrives today, but it's not what I picked out. It's a refurbished HP. I asked him in the kindest way "what the loving poo poo" and he said it was cheaper and better.

Guess what printer doesn't support scanning in XP? I will be shoving him so far under the bus on this one I'll probably need a stick to push him under further.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sometimes you don't need to so much throw them under the bus as you need to powerbomb the loving bus right on their stupid face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Haquer posted:

B-b-but he could've DIED you monster!!

Well, then I wouldn't have shared the pictures with my co-workers.

• Locked thread