Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hell, I still find the Gohan not wanting to fight thing weird in and of itself. I get having other ambitions, but the entirety of the Frieza saga was Gohan wanting to kick the poo poo out of aliens and prove himself. Given that Cell killed HUNDREDS of innocent people, you'd think he'd be more eager to kick some green insectoid rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gohan didn't not want to fight because of pacifism.

Gohan realized how powerful he was in the ROSAT, and was scared to unleash all of it because of the lack of control he felt when he did it. He thought he'd blow up the world by accident if he unleashed it. Goku, on the other hand, figured that he'd be perfectly fine if he did, and thus, the Cell thing.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Mordaedil posted:

Man, you people had Goku's on your TV, you're so lucky.

It was great. Tuning in to see what crazy adventures the Goku's were having on Namek for several years straight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Hell, I still find the Gohan not wanting to fight thing weird in and of itself. I get having other ambitions, but the entirety of the Frieza saga was Gohan wanting to kick the poo poo out of aliens and prove himself. Given that Cell killed HUNDREDS of innocent people, you'd think he'd be more eager to kick some green insectoid rear end.

He did in the time chamber its just when it actually came time to do it he became a pacifist.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That said Namek is a bitch-rear end world. Total suck world. I'm glad its gone.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Just like Chlorfor VEGETA.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

New Leaf posted:

Also he watched most of a planet get brutally murdered at, like, 7 years old. Most of said planet also looking like one of his closest friends and father figures. Kid probably had some serious PTSD. That he constantly took any period of peace to slack off and focus on anything but fighting is pretty understandable.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

In other words: Goku's full of poo poo and just wanted to stay dead to train.

You mean King Kaio and Bulma were full of poo poo. Again, this was only brought up by Goku because these two people he respected convinced him of it. But let's continue the Goku is wrong and evil and stupid and a jerk narrative.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 20, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Also he watched most of a planet get brutally murdered at, like, 7 years old. Most of said planet also looking like one of his closest friends and father figures. Kid probably had some serious PTSD. That he constantly took any period of peace to slack off and focus on anything but fighting is pretty understandable.

but they all lived happily ever after.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Man, you people had Goku's on your TV, you're so lucky.

if you didn't grow up with goku on your tv you literally aren't a person

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well he isn't evil.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You guys think you had it rough, I had to go to import stores when visiting other cities and grab badly copied video tapes of Dragon Ball movies and episodes entirely in Japanese, and just figure out what was going on via context.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

if you didn't grow up with goku on your tv you literally aren't a person

Not my fault they didn't air it here.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Darko posted:

You guys think you had it rough, I had to go to import stores when visiting other cities and grab badly copied video tapes of Dragon Ball movies and episodes entirely in Japanese, and just figure out what was going on via context.

I did this as a kid, but there were always super lovely subtitles at least. And I think I remember there being one or two stores that were local.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

All those times that Goku did the bad things? It was secretly Turles instead. There, problem solved.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Not my fault they didn't air it here.

I'm sorry but it is

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gotta face the facts sometime

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I watched it later, when it was considered peak dumb.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Elfgames posted:

goku seemed really jazzed to spend time with him in the time chamber.

well yeah, cuz they were gonna fight and train every day for a year

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Broly's HUGE!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

BattleCattle posted:

Broly's HUGE!

I bet it's all fat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

Broly's HUGE!

No, he's just really close to the camera.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

Vegeta being stronger than Goku is pretty much the wish of a great number of fans as well as the animation teams. It's the reason why they added filler in the Buu Saga where Vegeta gets to beat up Goku as well as Vegeta getting a super out-of-nowhere boost to surpass Goku in BoG.

It's appreciated fanservice but fanservice nonetheless. I don't like SS3 very much though (except in Fusion Reborn because it was a nice fight) so I like that Vegeta took regular Super Saiyan (I honestly feel SS2 is still a regular Super Saiyan compared to the freak transformation SS3 is) to a higher level, one-upping Goku using Goku's own method from the Cell Games.

My pet theory is that Super Saiyan 3 is NOT the natural follow-up to Super Saiyan 2. It's some weird freakish side effect state caused by an intentional massive power output.

Both Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are attained by fits of rage or frustration. I think the ACTUAL Super Saiyan 3 would be attained the same way, and I think Vegeta touches on this state in BoG when he flips out over Bulma. I don't think there's ever been a non-transformation power jump as large as going from SS2 to stronger than SS3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One of my favorite fan-theories that won't/doesn't pan out is that Vegeta had access to god ki because of his royal bloodline (Remember, in real history Kings were supposedly "chosen by God" and whatnot). Bulma getting hit got Vegeta angry enough to begin to tap into it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Torix posted:

My pet theory is that Super Saiyan 3 is NOT the natural follow-up to Super Saiyan 2. It's some weird freakish side effect state caused by an intentional massive power output.

Both Super Saiyan 1 and 2 are attained by fits of rage or frustration. I think the ACTUAL Super Saiyan 3 would be attained the same way, and I think Vegeta touches on this state in BoG when he flips out over Bulma. I don't think there's ever been a non-transformation power jump as large as going from SS2 to stronger than SS3.

Its a cool theory, but Super Saiyan 2 is only attained that way for Gohan. Both Goku and Vegeta seem to pick up SSJ2 in the intervening years without any trigger. It's possible that they get put into the same sort of situation that provokes Vegeta's original transformation, but with Goku dead it seems unlikely.

Gohan requiring anger to go SSJ2 seems to have less to do with the transformation and more to do with it just being Gohan. Gohan always had poo poo-tons of anger based hidden potential, and when SSJ2 first debuted it wasn't even necessarily a new form so much as it was "Gohan is loving pissed".

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Back in MY day, we watched the series go from Raditz to the Ginyus and back again. Going only by magazine and internet rumors for what'd happen next!

im pretty sure that was the childhood equivalent of psychological torture

man gently caress you toonami. you shouldve just not aired the poo poo until you actually got the new episodes :suicide:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Caros posted:

Its a cool theory, but Super Saiyan 2 is only attained that way for Gohan. Both Goku and Vegeta seem to pick up SSJ2 in the intervening years without any trigger. It's possible that they get put into the same sort of situation that provokes Vegeta's original transformation, but with Goku dead it seems unlikely.

Gohan requiring anger to go SSJ2 seems to have less to do with the transformation and more to do with it just being Gohan. Gohan always had poo poo-tons of anger based hidden potential, and when SSJ2 first debuted it wasn't even necessarily a new form so much as it was "Gohan is loving pissed".

Technically Gohan first achieved it while training, too, if you go by the anime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Caros posted:

I liked that a lot better. It's weird how SSJ3 parodies the "a new level of Super Saiyan!" but also invented the very thing it's making fun of. Without it there'd just be variations and tweaks on the original instead of this.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Caros posted:

I thought Vegeta needed Babidi's Magic to finally go SSJ2 the first time?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Ekusukariba posted:

I thought Vegeta needed Babidi's Magic to finally go SSJ2 the first time?

He could do it before, and after. Prettu sure Vegeta implies he could go Super Saiyan 2 during the Dabura fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, just gonna point out that the latest DBZA breakdown confirms that the Tom that Cell talks to is Piccolo's friend Tom. :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ImpAtom posted:

So, just gonna point out that the latest DBZA breakdown confirms that the Tom that Cell talks to is Piccolo's friend Tom. :colbert:

Tom from Myspace? Wow...that's a throwback.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ImpAtom posted:

Good thing Piccolo replaced Tom with Nail back on Namek.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Been reading the Dragon Ball Super manga, it's actually really well paced. No time wasting. From Goku getting demolished on King Kai's planet, it cuts to the Z fighters taking a beating from Beerus. The one thing I really loved was the manga at least maintained Vegeta's sense of pride and not reduce him to a clown.

kant
May 12, 2003

Raxivace posted:

One of my favorite fan-theories that won't/doesn't pan out is that Vegeta had access to god ki because of his royal bloodline (Remember, in real history Kings were supposedly "chosen by God" and whatnot). Bulma getting hit got Vegeta angry enough to begin to tap into it.

I always thought it would be cool if it turned out that Vegeta has been stronger than Goku all along. It's just that his pride and selfishness holds him back. Where as Goku fights because he loves to fight so it's kind of a purity of heart thing or he fights to defend other people which is another good motivation. So, I like how defending Bulma basically works as a power up.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Raxivace posted:

That would be a perfect way to explain everything, so it will never happen. :v:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like that Goku and Veggie are basically just as strong now. Teamups are always more fun. I hope they have to fight the big bad together now and they both get killing blows on various villains from now on

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shards of Fate posted:

I really loved was the manga at least maintained Vegeta's sense of pride and not reduce him to a clown.

But that's the whole point, vegeta throwing away his pride for his new planet shows how much he's grown and gets goku to actually acknowledge him as something more than just a good fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shards of Fate posted:

Been reading the Dragon Ball Super manga, it's actually really well paced. No time wasting. From Goku getting demolished on King Kai's planet, it cuts to the Z fighters taking a beating from Beerus. The one thing I really loved was the manga at least maintained Vegeta's sense of pride and not reduce him to a clown.

gently caress Vegeta. He should spend the rest of his life being made fun of. Needs to chill the gently caress out and enjoy being a rich God-like entity that somehow isn't famous. Someone needs to drop him on his head already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zzulu posted:

I like that Goku and Veggie are basically just as strong now. Teamups are always more fun. I hope they have to fight the big bad together now and they both get killing blows on various villains from now on

If RoF was setting up the storyline we're actually going to see followed up on in DBS then it seems like 'Goku and Vegeta learn to fight as partners and are stronger together than they are alone' will be the big driving thing for the series.

Which I like since it forces both of them to get over their own biggest flaws. Goku's "if I can't do it alone it's not worthwhile" thing (touched on in BoG) and Vegeta's whole selfish pride thing.

Hell I'd say that the recent DBS episode where Vegeta is like "well you could say Goku and I are enemies" and Beerus just seems confused, which makes Vegeta realize how absurd that sounds, was something sowing early seeds for that stuff.

We'll see though. That would be more character growth than I expect from DB things.

• Locked thread