Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

If you're considering a foreman consider one of these

Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xTpXvb4XY0XRB

Perfectly enough, meh.com has this today for $62. I own one and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

colas posted:

I got some persian rug coasters from eBay, they really tie the room together.

are those machine washable? They're tacky as hell but in a pleasant way.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

plain blue jacket posted:

are those machine washable? They're tacky as hell but in a pleasant way.

They're not tiny rugs so they're not machine washable. They're just foam with some kind of rug-like stuff on top. They only look tacky on certain
surfaces. They look fine on my little oriental table.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I'm looking for a pair of headphones comparable in size and weight to earbuds but that do not actually get wedged in your ear. (I have a weirdly shaped ear canal and earbuds give me a headache after like ten minutes.)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Ea...36%3A1253503011

Sennheiser has those that don't go into your ear far, those little wings help hold the things in place. They also have some that hang over your ear, you can probably find links for them on that page.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You might want to check with the heaphone thread over in inspect your gadgets.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

SpartanIV posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Tshirts that are kind of nerdy but aren't too nerdy? Stuff like Last Exit to Nowhere has but that doesn't cost me like $40 in shipping. I'm in the US.

http://human-trash.com

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anyone here have experience with Tile, the little doodad that helps you find your keys?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Recommend to me a vacuum cleaner! We've had a Dyson DC07 for a good while now, and though we've been happy with the results, it's also extremely heavy and hard to maneuver. My wife is interested in a self-propelled one, but failing that one that is not so heavy might suffice. A bagless would be better, but it's not a requirement. Any suggestions?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I just ordered a Miele Upright Twist after doing some reading and talking with my local vacuum shop. It's like $500, but I have wanted a real nice vacuum for a while and this was the recommendation I got.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Need a basic scientific calculator for work. It has to have nice buttons (no squishy rubber stuff). Don't need graphing or anything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chas McGill posted:

Need a basic scientific calculator for work. It has to have nice buttons (no squishy rubber stuff). Don't need graphing or anything.

HP 35S, with the caveat that I haven't used it. It is supposed to be the successor to the HP32Sii which is really good and it seems to get good reviews. I wanted to recommend the 32Sii (which has amazing buttons), but it looks like it costs $100 used.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Recommend to me a vacuum cleaner! We've had a Dyson DC07 for a good while now, and though we've been happy with the results, it's also extremely heavy and hard to maneuver. My wife is interested in a self-propelled one, but failing that one that is not so heavy might suffice. A bagless would be better, but it's not a requirement. Any suggestions?

Shark Navigator (NV22S)

which is a pretty good inexpensive upright. They have a lift away version that's good too

I just got this and love it. The amount of hair it picks up every week that seems to shed off my girlfriends head is ridiculous

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Shark seems to be the solid affordable middlegrade option. Don't have to wait for some sale. I've had two of the cheaper ones and they work great albeit one covered a very small surface area

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got a Shark Rotator Professional and it has been a really fantastic vacuum. Haven't compared versus the Navigator.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes! You want some Thirsty Stone sandstone coasters. My mom bought me a set in the '90s and they're only now worn enough to need replacing. They soak up condensation and they'll never stick to your glass. Goddamn I'm buying new ones right now because of you. :argh:

http://amzn.com/B001CKSZ2M

These own btw, had to stack two to handle my ridiculous massive ice water bottle but still way better than anything else I have tried

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Dyson has a smaller version of that vac that I got for my mom that she loves. It's about 2/3 the size and a good deal lighter.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

bamhand posted:

Dyson has a smaller version of that vac that I got for my mom that she loves. It's about 2/3 the size and a good deal lighter.

I've heard that newer Dysons are overpriced garbage though. My friends got a new Dyson ball vacuum as a wedding gift and it broke within a year. The vacuum repair guys told him that really only the older models like the DC07 are built well, and the motors are superior to the ones used in newer models. I've been using my DC07 for like a decade, and it's never given me issues. Yeah it's kind of a pain in the rear end to lug up 3 flights of stairs, but hey a little more exercise is never a bad thing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hmm yeah I bought that one a couple years ago so if things have changed since then I retract my recommendation.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

various cheeses posted:

I've heard that newer Dysons are overpriced garbage though.

My wife used to work at Bed Bath & Beyond about five years ago, she said Dysons were the most frequently returned/exchanged vacuum they sold.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

SaltLick posted:

Shark Navigator (NV22S)

which is a pretty good inexpensive upright. They have a lift away version that's good too

I just got this and love it. The amount of hair it picks up every week that seems to shed off my girlfriends head is ridiculous

Seconding (thirding?) the Shark Navigator. The only complaint I have is that the hose on my mine is WAY too stiff and whenever I detach the handle to use it separately, I have to hold the vacuum itself, or it pulls it over. Been using it for about 5 years now.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

stubblyhead posted:

I know it's not popular to reference Reddit here but the vacuum repair guy AMAs are a stunning breadth of information on this: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Aug 23, 2015

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

I know it's not popular to reference Reddit here but the vacuum repair guy AMAs are a stunning dearth of information on this: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd

Dearth means scarcity

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jeherrin posted:

Dearth means scarcity

:downs: I no brain good.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Looking for help finding a decent bumper style case for the LG 4G, I have the leather back and would like to keep it displayed and I can't seem to find anything good. Help!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm looking for some nice cool LED bulbs for my house? (Cool as in color temperature.)

My GF and I both hate yellow/warm bulbs, and want ones that are a little more blue/cool. It seems most bulbs, in general, are on the yellow/warm side.

I know there's all these theories and studies about "cool light at work/during the day, warm light at home/in the evening" but we think yellow bulbs make everything look ugly. And I don't mean as blue/cool as, say, a hospital, but just something that's closer to a nice white.

Edit: So I guess something in the 5K-6k range?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Aug 25, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking for some nice cool LED bulbs for my house? (Cool as in color temperature.)

My GF and I both hate yellow/warm bulbs, and want ones that are a little more blue/cool. It seems most bulbs, in general, are on the yellow/warm side.

I know there's all these theories and studies about "cool light at work/during the day, warm light at home/in the evening" but we think yellow bulbs make everything look ugly. And I don't mean as blue/cool as, say, a hospital, but just something that's closer to a nice white.

You have that backwards actually. Yellow is cooler than the blue/white ones. What you actually want are very warm bulbs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

stubblyhead posted:

You have that backwards actually. Yellow is cooler than the blue/white ones. What you actually want are very warm bulbs.
It is in fact you who is confusing scientific color temperatures and commercial nomenclature. When you buy a lamp labelled warm white, it will be more orangey than a cool white one.

KoB
May 1, 2009
He meant in terms of color. Cool colors are blues/etc, warm colors are yellows/reds/etc

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KoB posted:

He meant in terms of color. Cool colors are blues/etc, warm colors are yellows/reds/etc
We're all talking about colors. And while a hotter burning star might produce light more towards the bluer end of the spectrum, as stubblyhead correctly notes, this doesn't help you buy bulbs. That's all I'm saying.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

It is in fact you who is confusing scientific color temperatures and commercial nomenclature. When you buy a lamp labelled warm white, it will be more orangey than a cool white one.

I'm legit surprised by this. I could swear I'd seen packages labeled in the opposite way (i.e. correct in respect to color temperature), but sure enough everything I could find refers to the higher K bulbs as being cool.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cree makes a good LED bulb in 5000K models. They're sold through Home Depot for about $9 a bulb.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W...3U100/205597079

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on a vacuum for stair steps?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Etrips posted:

Nothing specific, but I would imagine any decent canister vac with a sufficiently long house would suffice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Etrips posted:

Similar to what I posted earlier but the Shark Navigator Lift Away would probably work well enough

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SaltLick posted:

Similar to what I posted earlier but the Shark Navigator Lift Away would probably work well enough

Holy moly what is this sorcery! I think this will do the trick. Thank you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just a quick suggestion. I've been meaning to make a post here and suggest it but check out limitless led. Ships from NZ which sucks so make sure you place a large order. Anyways full color spectrum lights with warm or cold and you can get a normal non-colored that'll do hot or cold

Anyways mostly its just rad because I feel like a pimp in my bachelor pad changing lights all over the place with the remote, pebble, my phone, or pc

Anyone wants to know more let me know.

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Aug 26, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also FYI vacuum chat meh.com has the dyson dc41 animal vac

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just a quick suggestion. I've been meaning to make a post here and suggest it but check out limitless led. Ships from NZ which sucks so make sure you place a large order. Anyways full color spectrum lights with warm or cold and you can get a normal non-colored that'll do hot or cold

Anyways mostly its just rad because I feel like a pimp in my bachelor pad changing lights all over the place with the remote, pebble, my phone, or pc

Anyone wants to know more let me know.

I WOULD like to know more. These seem a little bit better priced than other smart-bulbs I've seen, though I haven't looked at what shipping will cost...I'm guessing a lot, what with the ocean and all.

Edit: So it looks like they're likely cheaper because the wifi isn't built into the bulbs, you buy a separate wifi bridge to connect to them. Makes a little more sense, honestly. Slightly more annoying, but why pay for wifi in each bulb when just a controller for multiple bulbs needs it?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

- edit ^ Yeah you get a tiny little wifi bridge that just plugs into a USB plug.

This was a bit ago and I think I remember him saying when I asked via email he was implementing the much slower cheaper shipping option on his site for USPS. I haven't checked the site but he usually has some specials going. I got buy 10 bulbs get 1 free. It's a loving sweet set up. It has some features the phillips lights have and they have some these don't. Just make sure you find out how many you need before hand, the exact colors you want (soft light in certain areas, etc) and what type of bulb in case you have a weird sized lamp or something.

Also the remotes can only have up to 4 presets each. And that can be a group of bulbs or just 1. I only got 2 remotes and it worked well enough but I might have gotten another if I ordered again for more group options

Here's my order

E14 RGBW LED Light bulb (#LEDE14RGBW)
Choose your Color Type: RGB+CoolWhite 1 $13.70
Remote Control for RGBW Color LED Lightbulbs (#REMOTERGBW) 2 $18
WiFi Bridge 4.0 for iPhone, iPad, Android, and PC (#UDPReceiver) 1 $18
RGBW Color and White LED Light bulb (#LEDSingleRGBW)
Choose your Cap type: USA/Canada Edison Screw Cap E26,
Choose your Color Type: RGB+CoolWhite 4 $76
RGBW Color and White LED Light bulb (#LEDSingleRGBW)
Choose your Cap type: USA/Canada Edison Screw Cap E26,
Choose your Color Type: RGB+WarmWhite 5 $95
Cart Subtotal: $220.70
Shipping: $60.77 via Economy Courier - Tracked, Signature Required (allow 3-7 Working Days For Delivery)
Order Total: $281.47

He has an office in CA which for some reason doesn't carry stock but maybe not how has a small warehouse in US

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 27, 2015