Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CEO showed me something funny this morning. We're getting real close to signing a contract to move to a new ERP system, migrating away from a truly horrible system running on an IBM iSeries. It's more that the software is pure garbage and has no integration than the fact that it runs on what's basically an AS/400, but I have no complaints about moving away from that.

Our useless 'Senior Systems Analyst', who I replaced as IS Manager, won't let go of the system and he's basically dead weight. So he went through the latest issue of IBM Systems Magazine, and stuck half a dozen post-it notes on the different pages. All he did was wrote down the headline of each article/ad.

The post-its say cool things on them like:

Advantage: IBM

Amazing Performance

Security & Stability.

I guess he went in there this morning and said "I think we need to re-consider staying on the IBM", handed it to him then walked away.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hahaha, that owns. IBM continues to make ok platforms that seem like they only ever get the finest handcrafted pure and utter poo poo business software to run on them.

I've yet to run in to any system issues on mine at all- No broken updates, no OS problems, no hardware issue other than the odd HD failure. It even handled a "Whoopsie I accidentally the server room emergency power cut off button" incident without complaint.

Meanwhile, our sw vendor pushed a patch last month that ended up with corrupted data getting pushed out. It was a national issue, and they tried to sneak in a fix without anyone noticing three weeks later. They got called out on it finally just last week :cripes:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2015

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

what's basically an AS/400
iSeries is AS/400. Just rebranded and recompiled as the AS/400 and RS/6000 platforms converged into POWER.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

iSeries is AS/400. Just rebranded and recompiled as the AS/400 and RS/6000 platforms converged into POWER.

I know that, but I figured a casual reader would be familiar with what an AS/400 is compared to an iSeries, or System i or whatever the gently caress IBM calls it this week.

Bonus: I had my helpdesk guy troll the other dude by showing him that article from a week or two ago where IBM is buying a couple hundred thousand Macs for their employees.

ADVANTAGE: APPLE

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Apple, the one true enterprise solution.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You get an iMac and YOU get an iMac EVERYONE get's an iMac! :bees:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bobmarleysghost posted:

You get an iMac and YOU get an iMac EVERYONE get's an iMac! :bees:

Buy everybody a Mac and then you can cut your entire IT department because they just work(c)(tm)(r)*

*lol

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Inspector_666 posted:

Buy everybody a Mac and then you can cut your entire IT department because they just work(c)(tm)(r)*

*lol

You laugh, there are people who believe this might be possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Skandranon posted:

That's why I laugh.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Skandranon posted:

Let me just rack those Apple servers for you... oh wait

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:colbert:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

They don't sell the one at the top anymore and had not considered simply buying 1u shelves to rack the apple minis. Touche good sir.

Also wtf whyyyyyy :cry:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I made a quick comment early about Apple not allowing you to virtualize OS X. This guy I work with that is a huge Mac zealot about tripped over himself to run over and correct me, NO THEY ALLOW THAT NOW.

Ok thanks? Why do people feel the need to white knight their OS of choice?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Can't you only virtualize it on Mac? ie: not enterprise grade hardware?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Can't you only virtualize it on Mac? ie: not enterprise grade hardware?
And sorry Mac fans, if you can only virtualize it on a Mac, then that's not virtualizing it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Really the only piece of evidence I need to say that Apple doesn't care about the enterprise. If they did they'd let me run their stack on my existing virtual infrastructure.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Post-purchase rationalization, I assume. I get it, but goddamn if it's not irritating. I love my mac but I'd be the first person to sign the involuntary commitment papers if someone on my ops team tried to move our stack to it.

I feel compelled to plug an iphone into that just to see what happens. :unsmigghh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Because for some people computers are religion and not tools. Their way is the One True Way even if it means using a pipe wrench as a hammer.

You see it with everything. Hardware, OSes, browsers, programming languages, etc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I get funny looks when I bust out my Lumia while talking about being a embedded Linux engineer.
A OS is just a tool, and nothing more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Atleast the MacBook Pro sort of have dual power supplies (if the adapter fails the battery takes over), but the MacBook not having redundant Ethernet and power make it a nonstarter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Atleast the MacBook Pro sort of have dual power supplies (if the adapter fails the battery takes over), but the MacBook not having redundant Ethernet and power make it a nonstarter.

When you have 120 of them in a cabinet they're kind of redundant by nature.

Besides, at $30 each you can add dual TB ethernet

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

What is this crazy thing?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Are they each slightly propped open?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The garbage can area at a new high end apartment complex.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
The MBP's are just a staggering waste of hardware. All the screens, trackpads, and keyboards completely inaccessible 99% of the time. I can't fathom who would rack them rather than minis or even Mac Pros.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's kinda like how you tell a stupid kid they did a good job because it's the best they're ever going to do, you just want to hug the guy who made that and tell him he did so well, he's a big boy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aunt Beth posted:

The MBP's are just a staggering waste of hardware. All the screens, trackpads, and keyboards completely inaccessible 99% of the time. I can't fathom who would rack them rather than minis or even Mac Pros.

Not that I disagree with you, and I don't-I think this is way crazy, but the explanation is actually somewhat reasonable:

https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/well-im-at-it-again-this-time-with-macbook-pros/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The MacBook Pros, the guy can't say where he works.

https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/well-im-at-it-again-this-time-with-macbook-pros/a

They also racked a bunch of Mac Mini's

https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/in-production/

Erwin posted:

Are they each slightly propped open?

"They are actually being held open 7mm by a custom 3D printed wedge. This opening allows for the screen to be used for testing as well as ample air circulation. You can’t see the temperature sensors tucked into each notebook’s keyboard area."

Aunt Beth posted:

"We require Mac OS X because the products we make run on OS X and we believe in testing on the same hardware our customers use, this helps produce a better product".

"We have data centers with thousands of machines configured with all 3 OS’s running constant build and test operations 24 hours a day 365 days a year. This is just a small look at the Mac side of things."

As far as the trash cans:

http://photos.imgix.com/racking-mac-pros

Nope, it's not ridiculously expensive. The GPUs in the Mac Pro are actually an exceptionally good value per gflop (when I last did a comparison a few months ago). GPUs that will work in servers are not cheap -- a comparable AMD FirePro S7000 is $1000, and the Mac Pro has two of them.

There's the cost of having these Mac Pro chassis fabricated, but they're passive hunks of metal with some cabling run. Nothing too expensive there, and economies of scale are on our side.

The Mac Pros are at least 5x more cost effective than Mac Minis (per gflop, total operating cost), and they're substantially more cost effective per gflop than doing something like EC2 G2 instances. My estimate is that moving to Linux servers would save us about 10-15% per gflop, but that could easily be eaten up by the engineering time needed to migrate.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Drove to the datacenter tonight to do things A B C and D, but forgot a single object so I couldn't do D, and no, it can't wait, so 25 minutes back to the house, 25 minutes back to the datacenter we go...

Didn't get clean backups on anything!
It's Christmas Day!
Guess who had to go in and do it?
It wasn't the manager who had no wife, no kids, and no life!
It wasn't the on-call guy for NYC!
It was me, who was doing Christmas things with the in-laws!

That was my last, soon to be second-to-last, job. For reasons like that above, and being yelled at when I told the boss I would need to be on bereavement leave, and many more.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sirotan posted:

Not that I disagree with you, and I don't-I think this is way crazy, but the explanation is actually somewhat reasonable:

https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/well-im-at-it-again-this-time-with-macbook-pros/

Not going to lie, both the reasoning and the amount of actual work that went into that is pretty impressive, down to the temperature sensors set up per-laptop. And automated testing is just about the only reason I could possibly think of to do something like that, soooo...:golfclap:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

An E5 v2 Xeon of your choice with PCIe SSDs, up to 128 gigs of RAM, two gigabit ethernet ports, and either two mildly cut down FirePro W7000s or two FirePro W9000s, and a rack to house and cool multiple of them. :getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

An E5 v2 Xeon of your choice with PCIe SSDs, up to 128 gigs of RAM, two gigabit ethernet ports, and either two mildly cut down FirePro W7000s or two FirePro W9000s, and a rack to house and cool multiple of them. :getin:

So garbage?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't know how you can call it garbage, it's incredibly expensive, which means it's great.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

So garbage?

Hahaha yeah pretty much, but it has a $5000 price tag so it must be worth buying four of them as servers, think of the cost benefits! :smithicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Meh, I have to assume someone spending hundreds of thousands on Mac Pros and designing and custom building rack cases for them has a reason for doing it beyond "I like Macs". Use the tool for the job and all that.

If I was given the choice I would use proper servers all day long, but there's a large user base of industries that rely on Macs and software companies who are happy to take the money off them, and if your product needs to run across a network of Mac Pros then you might as well do the best job you can at providing that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Meh, I have to assume someone spending hundreds of thousands on Mac Pros and designing and custom building rack cases for them has a reason for doing it beyond "I like Macs". Use the tool for the job and all that.

If I was given the choice I would use proper servers all day long, but there's a large user base of industries that rely on Macs and software companies who are happy to take the money off them, and if your product needs to run across a network of Mac Pros then you might as well do the best job you can at providing that.

The people with the Mac Pro racks made a very cogent defense of their setup, I still think it's silly as heck and that their threshold for percentage of total computing power being down is pretty high, but whatever, I don't work there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You see a lot of these "Mac Pro cluster" setups built when the systems are new and the sums do work in terms of the price/performance. But then like 2 months will pass and Dell hardware will drop in price while the Mac Pro will cost the same two years later and have the specs it launched with.

Edit: To make it clear, people renting Mac minis as web servers to run WebObjects are making a terrible decision and stuff like that absolutely should be re-engineered.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

The MacBook Pros, the guy can't say where he works.

Doesn't Microsoft have to do this? There is that slightly dumb hosting company that uses mac minis.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, today is the first time I got actually kind of irritated at work.

I work for a school system who does pretty OK in the tech department. Our infrastructure and policies are a mess, and there's a pretty big mishmash of programs and stuff (Like we have an SCCM server but nobody wants to actually configure it, so we're still doing WDS over PXE, and we still have to manually update policies with gpupdate /force). However, our CTE department seems to have money out the rear end.

The can go and buy two $4k 3d printers and forget they bought them because the teachers don't care. They can spend almost $50k on a new lab with Xeon processors because AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Cloud programs are "slow" (They needed SSDs more than anything else). They can drop $40k on robotics kits that got used for 3 weeks out of a semester then forgotten because we can't afford to keep a teacher in there. They probably just dropped $20k getting the CTE teachers nice new Lenovo super mini computers (The ones that fit on the monitor itself), and half of them won't be deployed, because they were "surprise" mini labs for another teacher who quit.

However, they can't afford $50 to replace a 16 year old HP Deskjet 610 with something newer so I don't have to manually try and get the drivers from windows update because HP's website is absolute poo poo and they don't provide drivers. I can pick drivers from 95, ME, XP, 2000, NT4, but they won't give the drivers to Vista, 7, or 8 because they should be "built in" to Windows, which they're not. But don't worry, we just bought another teacher (who doesn't need) a brand loving new 24" poster printer so they can print pretty posters, because the other brand new 24" roll printer they can't access easily (IE walk in a door and log into a computer with the file), and the other one that's in another lab isn't good enough either.

Oh, gently caress HP printers right in their goddamn rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Isn't there some kind of etherkiller for printers?