Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In Training posted:

What benefit is there that subtitles can't provide

I don't want to read subtitles during battles when they have battle cries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

with foreign languages it can be difficult to pick up on nuances like how a line is read, or you miss out on accents and stuff like that which carries important information but doesn't come accross as well in subtitles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

What benefit is there to keeping the original language if you can't understand it?

Hearing the original audio design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

1: subtitles are a distraction no matter how you slice it. even as someone who reads very, very fast, subtitles do distract my attention from what's going on on-screen, even a little.

2: the problem is even worse if you have to put subtitles on-screen during gameplay, especially if the game has menus at the bottom of the screen. Where would you put the subtitles then, the top of the screen? Nothing is up there, and the player is probably focused on the game itself, so they'd probably miss or only half-pay attention to the dialogue.

3: obviously, it's easier for someone to understand the emotions going into a language they actually speak.

4: keeping the original VA makes it harder to rewrite scenes. I don't mean 'completely changing the story," I just mean, say, slightly reorganizing a conversation so that it flows better in english. If you keep the original VA, suddenly things don't sync up.

5: If a game is going for jokes, comic timing can be thrown off by someone having to read the subtitles/not understanding the language.

6: no jamieson price

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, you're actually serious and are dying on this hill

in that case, shut up you idiot

Sub-only is a good way of saying "I hate this franchise. Please kill it before it had a chance"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tae posted:

Sub-only is a good way of saying "I hate this franchise. Please kill it before it had a chance"

Lol dying on this hill.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Hearing the original audio design.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tae posted:

yakuza 5

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I do wish there was an unobtrusive way to have subtitles of battle cries. Always irks me when their's banter going on and it's too noisy for me to pick up and understand.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

1: subtitles are a distraction no matter how you slice it. even as someone who reads very, very fast, subtitles do distract my attention from what's going on on-screen, even a little.

2: the problem is even worse if you have to put subtitles on-screen during gameplay, especially if the game has menus at the bottom of the screen. Where would you put the subtitles then, the top of the screen? Nothing is up there, and the player is probably focused on the game itself, so they'd probably miss or only half-pay attention to the dialogue.

3: obviously, it's easier for someone to understand the emotions going into a language they actually speak.

4: keeping the original VA makes it harder to rewrite scenes. I don't mean 'completely changing the story," I just mean, say, slightly reorganizing a conversation so that it flows better in english. If you keep the original VA, suddenly things don't sync up.

5: If a game is going for jokes, comic timing can be thrown off by someone having to read the subtitles/not understanding the language.

6: no jamieson price

This is fair.

I don't see what's laughable about that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

I do wish there was an unobtrusive way to have subtitles of battle cries. Always irks me when their's banter going on and it's too noisy for me to pick up and understand.

anyway i can get preferring the original audio but saying dubs shouldn't exist is a little shortsighted imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

anyway i can get preferring the original audio but saying dubs shouldn't exist is a little shortsighted imo

I'd like it if there is a dub that the Japanese audio is an option. And from a business perspective I understand why a dub is absolutely necessary.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Take it from someone who used to be a sub diehard: you eventually grow up and become less of a weeb.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 20, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I'd like it if there is a dub that the Japanese audio is an option.
Yeah that seems like the best solution, but unfortunately there are often some issues in the way. Certain companies seem devoted to that but I don't think it'll ever happen in mainline Final Fantasy, partly because of those issues and possibly because Squeenix seems to really want to make top quality dubs with actual actors that they're very proud of.

Shame they don't get top quality dubs with actual directors who aren't morons, but hey.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

Yeah that seems like the best solution, but unfortunately there are often some issues in the way. Certain companies seem devoted to that but I don't think it'll ever happen in mainline Final Fantasy, partly because of those issues and possibly because Squeenix seems to really want to make top quality dubs with actual actors that they're very proud of.

Shame they don't get top quality dubs with actual directors who aren't morons, but hey.

I appreciated it in the PC version of XIII, but I also skip every cutscene in that game haha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Take it from someone who used to be a sub diehard: you eventually grow up and become less of a weeb.

It's not a weeabo to care about the original direction of a work. There will always be a translation barrier of course, but the subtitles will always be the least obtrusive option.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Take from someone who is still a sub die-hard: not necessarily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Information in a game can be conveyed through a lot of things. Short of being someone who is capable of recognizing relatively subtle things in a language you don't speak dubbing is the most concise and simple way to convey this information in a properly directed work.

This isn't even up for argument. There are a lot of people who watch sub-only who completely misunderstand characters because they can't actually read tone of voice. Subtitles aren't inherently worse (and I tend to prefer them) but there are a lot of arguments for dubbing, especially for something seeking a wide audience.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually prefer the persona and metal gear dubs to subs since the direction is fantastic.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dubs are better because you can do other things while they drone on and on about universe mechanics and similar unnecessary exposition

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Radical subtitle purists have always stricken me as the most blatant examples of Otaku fanboiism. Like, i get the whole original language thing, but i don't speak really japanese, and even after living there and becoming conversational in it, hearing it on TV is not the same thing as seeing a person speak it and being able to divine its meaning via body language, etc.

Also, bottom line, i don't watch TV to read.

I could definitely see them re-editing FFX, but not re-recording any of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have not heard Kazuma Kiryu speaking in English but I hope to god I never do

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sometimes I turn off the voice acting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Who the gently caress cares about dub/sub in FFX when after like 4 ports, they still can't program a Skip Cutscene function

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Japanese is not the only foreign language.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

Japanese is not the only foreign language.

#frenchsupremacy

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dubs are just fine. Hearing it in english is nice to get the inflection and emotion, and localization is something that should be everpresent, and dubs are a part of that.

That said though, I don't think I could play a Metro game without listening to the russian audio track. It's just too good to pass up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

#frenchsupremacy

Ceci, mais pas ironiquement.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

because only good actors can delivwr all the moans and sighs that make up 90% of their scripts.

I was watching g advent children for the first time and was actually enjoying it but it eventually became unwatchable due to all the loving moaning and sighing and whimpering. do these directors not know how to have their actors convey emotion without making a weird goddamn noise?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I have not heard Kazuma Kiryu speaking in English but I hope to god I never do

Did you not play the first Yakuza game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TommyGun85 posted:

because only good actors can delivwr all the moans and sighs that make up 90% of their scripts.

I was watching g advent children for the first time and was actually enjoying it but it eventually became unwatchable due to all the loving moaning and sighing and whimpering. do these directors not know how to have their actors convey emotion without making a weird goddamn noise?

Are you sure that wasn't just you?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just you?

it may have been but that's not the point.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you not play the first Yakuza game?

3 was the one that got me into the series. I want to play 1/2 and was hoping the HD remaster from a couple of years ago would somehow make it over here but I guess that was never going to happen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't mind subs-only for video games because full voiced dialogue should be banned anyway since everyone clicks through the dialogue in .25 seconds except people with brain diseases that like watching stilted polygonmen acting or are literally illiterate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

epitasis posted:

I don't mind subs-only for video games because full voiced dialogue should be banned anyway since everyone clicks through the dialogue in .25 seconds except people with brain diseases that like watching stilted polygonmen acting or are literally illiterate

What about dialogue that plays over gameplay?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's a mobile app called Final Fantasy Portal which includes a free download right now of FF1, as well as a standalone Triple Triad game :vince:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe it took square this long to make a free to play Triple Triad for phone.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What about dialogue that plays over gameplay?

shouts and effort noises and such are good for flavor and easily reusable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

epitasis posted:

people with brain diseases like 99% of the people who play RPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i can see that argument for FPS's or action games but saying that in a freaking final fantasy thread is the weirdest thing. once you remove the plots from these games all you have is a mash x simulator.