Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That one looks nice. My complaint about Strafe when watching gameplay videos is that they went too far with tracers and smoke, making hard to see on a game that is supposed to be about being fast and dodging stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I'm starting to get to a point where my eyes roll uncontrollably at the sight of the words "procedurally generated".

Aside from that, it looks cool.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

Has Gibhard been mentioned on the thread yet? Kind of like a better-looking (IMO) Strafe?

It has the "procedurally generated" warning flag, but other than some obviously/hopefully-unfinished enemy animations the pictures are nice for my eyeballs. http://www.gibhard.com/

"Prodecurally generated" (read: we're making a grid map and stitching premade sections together)

It has this irony pixel look where they're not actually animating the guns which is disappointing, even Wolfenstein 3D made the gatling gun barrel spin. "Retro" doesn't mean "no effort" and it annoys the poo poo out of me when products like Strafe pretend this by making a game that looks nothing like a 90s shooter.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It would be cool if they did include an episode of meticulously designed maps. Even if having randomized levels is their main thing, you'd think they'd have a few levels they specifically designed and are proud of they'd want to put out there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

It would be cool if they did include an episode of meticulously designed maps. Even if having randomized levels is their main thing, you'd think they'd have a few levels they specifically designed and are proud of they'd want to put out there.

If I were developing this game, I would absolutely make a series of hand-crafted maps, and then the option to play 'randomized' levels.

Or even making the randomized levels some sort of bonus area that can be accessed from the main campaign. And then have two exits per special stage: one brings you back to the regular campaign, but the other harder-to-find exit would continue the random-level bonus section.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I just tried out "Smooth Doom." Is "Smooth Weapons" included in that or is it something different?
Also got the high quality SFX.

And a more general question - will those kinds of mods not work (or be necessary to begin with) in something with a lot of unique assets, like Reelism?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Guillermus posted:

That one looks nice. My complaint about Strafe when watching gameplay videos is that they went too far with tracers and smoke, making hard to see on a game that is supposed to be about being fast and dodging stuff.

Could never finish this game, myself. Though I definitely appreciate it for its time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Could never finish this game, myself. Though I definitely appreciate it for its time.

Strafe, not Strife.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

D'oh! Time to drink some coffee.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

That escalated rapidly. :stare:

Props for the dead on 90s style trailer.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Minidust posted:

I just tried out "Smooth Doom." Is "Smooth Weapons" included in that or is it something different?

And a more general question - will those kinds of mods not work (or be necessary to begin with) in something with a lot of unique assets, like Reelism?
Yep the SmoothDoom.pk3 is everything, the weapons and monsters versions are for people who want just one or the other. I love a lot of the stuff SmoothDoom includes in the options menu too, like the extra death animations. Another nice subtle thing like the sfx one is the sc-55 music pack over here: https://sc55.duke4.net/games.php

I'm not sure how compatibility goes for mods that change a lot. If they're using the standard sprites/animations and sounds, then it should work. Works for most of the popular vanilla style WADs at least.

Nimdok
Dec 11, 2012
I'm playing Pirate Doom and it's making me want to ignore PS4 releases and just play doom mods all year. I love love the cannon and dynamite launcher, and when I reached the point where imps start chucking explosives around I lost my poo poo. I like the level design, too! Key doors are designed such that minimal backtracking is required.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

KozmoNaut posted:

No, forget RR. It was a bad game, anyway.

We need a proper pulpy horror remake of Blood.

Yes, we need a new, good Blood game, or something very similar.

Redneck Rampage started bad but as it went along and with a couple .CON tweaks to some enemy health values and it gets good. I don't know how well a new one would work, but I'd like to see it.

Johnny Law posted:

Has Gibhard been mentioned on the thread yet? Kind of like a better-looking (IMO) Strafe?

It has the "procedurally generated" warning flag, but other than some obviously/hopefully-unfinished enemy animations the pictures are nice for my eyeballs. http://www.gibhard.com/

Yeah, I just heard about it a couple days ago but I think it looks pretty good.

Douk Douk posted:

A re-imagining of Blood in the vein of something like a more nonlinear CoJ: Gunslinger would be loving incredible. The market might not be big as a horror game, since everyone now expects screamers and silent hill ripoffs everywhere, but if it's marketed as an FPS game like the new Shadow Warrior I don't see how it could not sell well. However, nothing short of a miracle would manage to breathe life back into the actual Blood franchise. Best thing to do is just make a nearly-identical, but still different enough to avoid lawsuit, world. Which, again, shouldn't be too hard at all. Almost every enemy is a cliche from campy horror movies, and even the cultists can be reused as long as you give them a different babble-tongue language to speak and a different dark god to worship.

Vapour is a newer game that kind of does this. It's very clearly inspired by Blood and Hexen. I tried playing it but it's incredibly poorly optimized and I couldn't get past the first few minutes because the mouse sensitivity is incredibly abysmal and it lagged even on lower settings for me.

I would be ok with this. It's really hard to find anything that feels like Blood, I've been looking for all sorts of mods or games that capture a bit of that feeling. I was under the impression that Vapour was a Slender-like? Was there another game called Vapour a little while ago or did it morph into that? Maybe I'll give it a try at some point. as far as indie shooters trying to be old school, there's one that I'm intrigued by called Putrefaction that looks a little Doom-like. Dead Effect was... ok but once you realised it was a phone port it became really obvious and I found that it ran very poorly despite the fact that I should have been able to run it just fine.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Seeing all this Quake chat made me realise I haven't played a custom Quake map for about 15 years :corsair:

So... I've downloaded Quake + Expansions from Steam, along with Quakespasm and Simple Quake Launcher, but I'm getting a weird issue getting the launcher to work properly. Basically, I started off extracting Quakespasm to a directory and copying in my id1 directory from the Steam install, and when I start the launcher I get a selection of options for 'base game':

But as soon as I drag in a mod directory, base game gets greyed out and I can only select from the mod drop down list:

Is that normal? The command line arguments look a bit strange. Would be really grateful if anyone knows how to fix it!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Johnny Law posted:

Visually looks very nice - even looks like they've got some SpriteLamp-ish dynamic lighting going on with the sprites there. Kinda wondered how that'd look in a Doom-engine-ish context. That said, those levels look mighty flat.

And yeah, as arcsig mentioned, I'm getting mighty frustrated that every supposed throwback to classic FPS titles also tosses out "btw we don't have any handcrafted levels PROCEDURAL GENERATION ALL THE WAY BABY". Then again, I was also thinking a few days ago, watching slowbeef playing The Consuming Shadow, if a similar game could be made in ZDoom or GLOOME or similar, where you spend a lot of time on a map screen but occasionally get to rush into a randomly-generated Doom map of sorts to hunt down the clues you'd need to seal away whatever eldritch god was invading, so I'm something of a hypocrite.

Convex posted:

Seeing all this Quake chat made me realise I haven't played a custom Quake map for about 15 years :corsair:

So... I've downloaded Quake + Expansions from Steam, along with Quakespasm and Simple Quake Launcher, but I'm getting a weird issue getting the launcher to work properly. Basically, I started off extracting Quakespasm to a directory and copying in my id1 directory from the Steam install, and when I start the launcher I get a selection of options for 'base game':

But as soon as I drag in a mod directory, base game gets greyed out and I can only select from the mod drop down list:

Is that normal? The command line arguments look a bit strange. Would be really grateful if anyone knows how to fix it!
I've never used this launcher before, but if it means anything, the "hipnotic" folder is Scourge of Armagon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Duke is a product of his time though. Even Master Chief is starting to feel like a misplaced relic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xQdzOn60k

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah I think for lots of third-party maps it's a crapshoot whether or not their visuals will turn out OK when using something like Super 8 or a "hi res" texture pack, since they're designed to be viewed with vanilla Quake. Of course it's also just a taste thing... personally I happen to be a huge fan of the watery-cave-and-big-mossy-brick-ruins kinds of Quake maps (e.g. e1m3 The Necropolis from the original campaign).

It's not exactly the same thing as being EFPSTRP TM but my history in this thread has various recommendations.

It's also hard to go wrong (granted, not impossible) if you just sort Quaddicted's list by most-recent or by highest-rated.
Super8 is actually much closer to vanilla than Quakespasm because it's a software renderer and subject to many of the limitations of the DOS.renderer. GLQuake is an add-on, it was not how Quake was originally meant to look. The original Quake textures were designed to look good in all light levels within the palette. Many custom textures are not, even if they technically fit.

E1M3 looks much better than Mapjam 1 in software. You can actually see, for one thing. E1M3 was what sold me on software Quake. The tunnels leading out from the gold key area had this dank, oppressive atmosphere that was amazing.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 20, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

I like the thing they have going with the smoke particles and enemy/gun sprites but wow, those wall textures look way too high-res and completely clash with the style. I'm hoping those are just the default UE4 textures (or whatever engine that is) and that they'll be replaced eventually.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I'm working on my own game that I intend to play like old skool shooters, with inspiration mostly taken from Doom. I'm using Leadwerks to do this and although I would be happy to completely develop the game myself, I'd be happy to accept the help of fellow goons.

If anyone is interested in contributing then feel free to message me or talk to me in this thread. From textures, sounds, music, models or even level designs, I'd consider any additional input!

http://i.imgur.com/JGwqMMh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xmyn0no.jpg

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 20, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Convex posted:

The only Quake launchers I've used have been Quake Injector and MiniQL. Eh and I guess Steam counts too. :-) (manually editing the "launch options")

But I'll take a whack at the question. I'm not sure what you mean by "drag in a mod directory" but your last screenshot looks OK to me. Like Shadow Hog said, "hipnotic" is a mission pack for Quake, so it makes sense that it doesn't allow you to select a non-Quake "base game" while "hipnotic" is selected.

As for the command line, there's a couple of things going on there. The mission packs have some special game code that is activated with the unique/dedicated command-line switches "-hipnotic" or "-rogue" respectively for MP 1 and 2. Also, for any mod in general, the "-game" switch is used to pick the directory that has the mod files in it.

I think that Quake engines are supposed to be smart enough to figure out that, in the special cases of the mission packs, if you use the "-hipnotic" or "-rogue" switch then that also implies using the "hipnotic" or "rogue" mod directory. I'm fairly sure that some Quake engines also try to be smart in the reverse direction, i.e. if you only specified "-game hipnotic" it might also activate the "-hipnotic" switch. So it is probably only necessary to specify one of those switches, not both. It doesn't hurt to have both in there though, so I'd guess the launcher here is just trying to cover its bases since it doesn't know for sure how smart your Quake engine is.

Woolie Wool posted:

Super8 is actually much closer to vanilla than Quakespasm because it's a software renderer and subject to many of the limitations of the DOS.renderer.
True, if you're using the config tweaks that specifically undo a lot of the default Super 8 stylings. (If not, then Super 8 is definitely off in its own visual space.)

quote:

GLQuake is an add-on, it was not how Quake was originally meant to look. The original Quake textures were designed to look good in all light levels within the palette. Many custom textures are not, even if they technically fit.

Also true! However, for third-party maps made within the past few years, Fitzquake/QuakeSpasm is usually what the map author was using during development while texturing and lighting and whatnot.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 20, 2015

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
OK, thanks for the advice - I guess it seems to be working ok for now. Might give Quake Injector a shot though, that sounds interesting :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

KozmoNaut posted:

No, forget RR. It was a bad game, anyway.

We need a proper pulpy horror remake of Blood.

It's a bad game, but it has a solid idea behind it, just do it as a FPS version of Squidbillies for a modern version

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody just make a horror-comedy shooter under another name. Caleb is barely a character, a replacement could easily be written without much effort. The setting is just horror pastiches, so that's easy enough.

Now I'm remembering that Darkwatch game that came out on the PS2 and OG Xbox, too bad it didn't get a PC release from what I remember

Geight posted:

This is the only interesting interpretation of Duke Nukem that would be worthy making another Duke game about. Set it after he's lost his presidential election bid because he knows literally nothing about being the president, just sitting in an apartment watching old pulp movies like the washed-up has-been that Duke Nukem truly is, and boom aliens attack. Time for Duke to be relevant again!

Is it odd that I find that interpretation of Duke to be really endearing, and that I'd totally play a "Duke Nukem: Origins" type game showing how Duke went from gigantic dork to world saving All-American Badass(who's still a gigantic dork but most people don't notice that)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

True, if you're using the config tweaks that specifically undo a lot of the default Super 8 stylings. (If not, then Super 8 is definitely off in its own visual space.)

I use water alpha and colored lighting. Were you specifically thinking of the palette bending, because that is really garish and I wish it were off by default. I often turn fog off as well because it looks like poo poo more often than not.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
This is the Super 8 vanilla-izer: http://super8.qbism.com/2015/02/classic-settings/index.html

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

catlord posted:

as far as indie shooters trying to be old school, there's one that I'm intrigued by called Putrefaction that looks a little Doom-like.

I checked it out. It's pretty bad. There's constant FPS drops anytime there's any action, you move very slow (as slow as if not slower than Doom 3), and the enemies movement animations are horrible, enemies will literally spawn out of thin air in front of you. About the only thing I can say is that it looks kind of nice, but that's marred by the aforementioned FPS drops. Looking at the updates it recently came out of Early Access; just from the state it's in now that seems premature.

e: Lol, it also crashed when I died, and when I took an elevator (I guess transitioning to the next level), making me lose all my progress since it also has only autosaves.

e2: And from looking around, it looks like all the assets are stock Unity ones. Would explain by it actually looks decent in terms of graphical fidelity. This is absolutely not worth $5.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 21, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Minidust posted:

Stuff with a ton of unique assets, like Reelism, are best played by themselves. Smooth Doom, is meant to enhance the plain vanilla game. Like for example, you're on your millionth run through of Doom or Doom 2 and you're ready for a little bit of variety or you combine it with your favorite user .wad.

Nimdok posted:

I'm playing Pirate Doom and it's making me want to ignore PS4 releases and just play doom mods all year. I love love the cannon and dynamite launcher, and when I reached the point where imps start chucking explosives around I lost my poo poo. I like the level design, too! Key doors are designed such that minimal backtracking is required.

gently caress yes. Doom owns. Play all day, erry day. Hail Satan :devil:

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

arcsig posted:

I'm starting to get to a point where my eyes roll uncontrollably at the sight of the words "procedurally generated".

Aside from that, it looks cool.

I'm so sick of procedural generation being shoehorned in genres where it doesn't need it. Stop it. There may be more ways to design levels than there are atoms in the universe, but that won't make them any more fun or memorable. :corsair:

catlord posted:

I would be ok with this. It's really hard to find anything that feels like Blood, I've been looking for all sorts of mods or games that capture a bit of that feeling. I was under the impression that Vapour was a Slender-like? Was there another game called Vapour a little while ago or did it morph into that? Maybe I'll give it a try at some point. as far as indie shooters trying to be old school, there's one that I'm intrigued by called Putrefaction that looks a little Doom-like. Dead Effect was... ok but once you realised it was a phone port it became really obvious and I found that it ran very poorly despite the fact that I should have been able to run it just fine.

Vapour originally started off as a free generic pewdiepie fodder horror game, but I guess it turned into something more old-school. Putrefaction looks interesting, if unsatisfying. Sci-fi is overused as hell.

Undying really needs an HD remastering. Not even a remake, just something where it just gives it a lick of fresh paint and better optimization and leaves everything else alone. Mostly because I want it to work on widescreen monitors better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Genocyber posted:

I checked it out. It's pretty bad. There's constant FPS drops anytime there's any action, you move very slow (as slow as if not slower than Doom 3), and the enemies movement animations are horrible, enemies will literally spawn out of thin air in front of you. About the only thing I can say is that it looks kind of nice, but that's marred by the aforementioned FPS drops. Looking at the updates it recently came out of Early Access; just from the state it's in now that seems premature.

e: Lol, it also crashed when I died, and when I took an elevator (I guess transitioning to the next level), making me lose all my progress since it also has only autosaves.

e2: And from looking around, it looks like all the assets are stock Unity ones. Would explain by it actually looks decent in terms of graphical fidelity. This is absolutely not worth $5.

Well, ok then! Thanks for the checking it out. It's a shame too, I thought it looked like it could be some decent fun, if nothing great. I am astonished at the number of paid for games that are apparently nothing but stock Unity stuff.

Douk Douk posted:

Vapour originally started off as a free generic pewdiepie fodder horror game, but I guess it turned into something more old-school. Putrefaction looks interesting, if unsatisfying. Sci-fi is overused as hell.

Undying really needs an HD remastering. Not even a remake, just something where it just gives it a lick of fresh paint and better optimization and leaves everything else alone. Mostly because I want it to work on widescreen monitors better.

Ok, that's what I thought. Interesting, maybe at some point I'll check it out.

As for Undying, I assume you've checked this solution for widescreen? You can't use Glide, but it's widescreen works and the journal isn't cut off like the other widescreen methods.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 21, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

r_palette palette is the only one that's actually important, it disables palette bending. None of the rest affect how maps look.

These mapjam 6 maps are just not designed with software in mind, period. Guess i'll be using QuakeSpasm for them. It's a shame, I like that grimy, hostile atmosphere that only software can bring. It wasn't until I used super8 that I realized why Quake's palette is so brown. Is there any way to replace the QuakeSpasm crosshair with one that isn't poo poo?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 21, 2015

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

catlord posted:

Well, ok then! Thanks for the checking it out. It's a shame too, I thought it looked like it could be some decent fun, if nothing great. I am astonished at the number of paid for games that are apparently nothing but stock Unity stuff.

Ok, that's what I thought. Interesting, maybe at some point I'll check it out.

As for Undying, I assume you've checked this solution for widescreen? You can't use Glide, but it's widescreen works and the journal isn't cut off like the other widescreen methods.

Huh, never noticed this before. Thanks!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jesus this level was exhausting.

Changes in Fortune by EricW and Tromyn. It's this absolutely humongous castle that rivals things like Black Rain from Cchest3 or Unstable Journey from BTSX E2 (for Doom) in terms of sheer scope. The Grunts were actually the most dangerous enemies on the map due to being put in really awkward locations, and in large numbers to boot. A very intense fight had me chased around the upper area of the castle by a shitload of Grunts, Knights, Death Knights, Ogres, and a Shambler.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 21, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

drrockso20 posted:

Is it odd that I find that interpretation of Duke to be really endearing, and that I'd totally play a "Duke Nukem: Origins" type game showing how Duke went from gigantic dork to world saving All-American Badass(who's still a gigantic dork but most people don't notice that)

Nah I'm right there with you, that would be rad.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

In addition to difficulty settings, the game should have a "game" setting, where we pick how much game Duke has.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Jesus this level was exhausting.

Ha, I've never had anything in Quakespasm drop below 60fps before, but this one just CRAWLS. Apparently they were so rushed to get this jam pack out that they didn't have time to run Vis on it, so there's basically no occlusion on a mega-massive level.

I think I'll wait for them to release the v1.1 of that. The rest of the pack runs great though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It ran fine in QuakeSpasm for me but it kicked the poo poo out of super8 and looked terrible to boot.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

It ran fine in QuakeSpasm for me but it kicked the poo poo out of super8 and looked terrible to boot.

I do have 4xMSAA turned on in Quakespasm, admittedly. Lemme see if it runs better with that off.

Edit: Barely any improvement. I'm on a 660ti too - guess this is the difference occlusion makes.

Edit 2: Aha! Someone on Quaddicted figured it out. Even a 64meg heap is insufficient for that map currently. I quadrupled that up to 256 and did the same with edicts and it runs much, much smoother. Still not 60fps, but vastly improved. Add -heapsize 262144 to your starting command line.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 21, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Super8 makes the original sounds awful with -sndspeed set to 44100, 48000, or 96000. Is there a pack that simply resamples the original sounds so the crappy in-game resampler doesn't have to do it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geight posted:

Heavy Metal posted:

In addition to difficulty settings, the game should have a "game" setting, where we pick how much game Duke has.

The question becomes for a Duke origin like this, should we keep the Nerd references to the same pool as back in 3D or should there be a slight amount of updating to accommodate for the almost 20 years since 3D came out

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

drrockso20 posted:

The question becomes for a Duke origin like this, should we keep the Nerd references to the same pool as back in 3D or should there be a slight amount of updating to accommodate for the almost 20 years since 3D came out

Yeah that's the tricky part, if you want to modernize the references you may as well just bill it as a Duke "reboot", and reboots are kinda weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geight posted:

Yeah that's the tricky part, if you want to modernize the references you may as well just bill it as a Duke "reboot", and reboots are kinda weak

I was thinking it'd be a partial reboot(kinda like how Wolfenstien 2009 and New Order/Old Blood are still connected to the older games but in a slightly vague manner), mostly to make it a little more coherent(let's face it Duke 3D is kinda a mess thematically outside of Duke himself)