Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Finn went to the dog park for the first time today. I kept him on the leash at first because he hasn't had a ton of socialization with other dogs. After sniffing around and interacting with new dog friends for about 30 mins I let him off the leash :ohdear:

I am happy to say that he was a very good dog. He was extremely friendly to both dogs and people which was a gigantic relief. He's been kind of standoffish with strangers, but he was a total gentleman today.

I'm super proud of my guy :3:

Here he is playing with a little bulldog.

His best moment was when a black lab came up and challenged him and got pretty fierce. Finn held his own, growled and chased the other dog off, but never bit or anything. Whenever that dog came around us again, he'd run to get in between my wife and I and the dog. He wanted to make sure we were okay :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My roommate thinks his 60lb lab only needs to go outside twice a day for a 5 min walk, and when she starts getting stinky just sprays some dog perfume on her because "it's bad to give dogs baths all the time, just like cats" it's been over 3 months since her last bath. I know he's had the dog for like 6 years but wish he would get rid of it

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

How is he off leash with other dogs? Some dogs develop barrier aggression so they get worked up when they see another dog on leash/behind a fence but are okay off leash. My one dog is a hellbeast if he sees another dog while he's on leash or on the other side of a fence but off leash he doesn't really care and only gets snippy if another dog wanders into his personal space and doesn't leave.

And it's totally possible he just doesn't like other dogs and forcing it isn't going to make that change. Since you've had him for two months he's probably finally coming out of his shell and he feels more comfortable and confident expressing his opinions about things like "hey I don't really want dog friends".

Lots of dogs aren't into the toys thing either. I've got two and one's all about the toys and playtime and the other couldn't give less of a poo poo and is content to hang out and go on an occasional walk.

He hasn't had much interaction off-leash with other dogs, since we don't let him off the leash yet. We're moving in a few weeks to a place that has a really great park that's mostly gated so we're going to work on that, I guess we'll see! The only off-leash interaction I can remember was when we left him at a friend's for a weekend. He was pretty chill, ignored both dogs until the puppy got too annoying, and he just growled at it (the puppy gave 0 shits and kept romping around).

I've thought about the possibility of him just not caring about other dogs. I'm fine with that, but I just want to avoid him getting more and more aggressive to the point I have to avoid other dogs. He's ok with other dogs like, half the time, specially if it's a short interaction (smell each other butts, keep walking). If he pees and the other dog is around then he'll get snippy.

Danith posted:

My roommate thinks his 60lb lab only needs to go outside twice a day for a 5 min walk, and when she starts getting stinky just sprays some dog perfume on her because "it's bad to give dogs baths all the time, just like cats" it's been over 3 months since her last bath. I know he's had the dog for like 6 years but wish he would get rid of it

That's infurating, poor guy. The dog perfume thing should be enough for the dog to be stressed I'd bet. I also don't get why people use those things, if the dog is clean then the dog smell is part of their charm.

Not so much if he rolled in poop but that's a cue for a bath.

edit: also, this is the first dog I've had that was rescued from a shelter and man, is it uplifting. In just a month he has changed so much and I feel all fuzzy thinking that we did that difference, and that he's a happy dog thanks to us. My past dogs were a Boxer and a Golden Retriever I had since puppies and well, those two feel like their happy switch was just stuck on ON independent of the humans living with them.

Adopt!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 17, 2015

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Getting some midday pics from the puppy daycare place. Today's Bailey's first day so I'm hoping things are going well.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Danith posted:

It's not uncommon to bathe dogs 1-4 times a year. However, the caveat for me is that the dog can't smell like poo poo in between. Dogs who smell bad are often on gross food or just not well taken care of... which sounds like this one.

It kind of sounds like a crappy situation, but I've heard of so much worse. Frustrating to live with, I'm sure.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dogs get baths when they get particularly filthy (so sometimes weekly if we go have fun in the dirt and mud on weekends) but then can go all winter without baths and be fine.

Some dogs are just smelly regardless, but there's a chance it could have a yeast infection or teeth in need of a cleaning or is just gross and greasy for being on crap food.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Little fella has been with us for a month. He knows how to sit, lay down and of course his name. We're working on follow, stay and come & stand next to me (what word do you guys use for this?). He hasn't peed inside in a week now and looks like he won't if I take him out every 5-6 hours.

Great progress, especially for a rescue dog and our First dog loves the little fella as much as we do :)

Here they are:

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
I'm at wit's end with my dog's bad behavior when I'm gone. I wouldn't even call it separation "anxiety" because she doesn't seem stressed but maybe I'm wrong.

She doesn't react when I go through my routine in the morning at all. My husband watches her carefully and can confirm that she stays relaxed. So I can't follow the common internet advice of desensitizing her by just going through my routine and not leaving the house.

She barks when I leave for about 5-15 minutes. Not too bad except even that is not acceptable in an apartment at 7 am. I bought one of those ultrasonic bark deterrents since I'm not sure what else to do and she does hate high pitched noises. I'm going to try it out tomorrow but I'm afraid she might panic and injure herself in her crate if she really hates the noise.

But anyway, I put her in a crate because she is destructive when I'm gone. I leave a kong, interactive puzzle toys, rawhides, etc, but she seems to favor chewing the carpet and shoes to any of those, so that's why she got locked up. She is fine with the crate when I'm there. She goes in there willingly to just relax.

Well . . . she has learned to escape the crate. Neither I, nor my engineer husband, can figure out how. The crate is definitely put together right and seems secure but multiple times we have come home to our dog running around freely. The dog is smarter than us.

I do give her exercise, usually a 20 minute run and 20 minute walk before work, playing at the dog park for ~an hour most nights, and a 40 minute walk at midnight. I truly do not think lack of exercise is the problem because she can be 100% passed out before I put her in the crate and still bark and escape the crate when I leave.

I just don't know. :( Next time I think I'll go to a breeder instead of getting a shelter dog. I don't think I'm cut out for it. If I had her as a puppy, maybe I could have prevented some of these bad habits.
Any thoughts are welcome.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ You should really seek help from a professional dog trainer. You just can't keep her crated all day for the rest of her life.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 19, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mathematics posted:

I'm at wit's end with my dog's bad behavior when I'm gone.

How old is she and how long have you had her? Know her story, pre-shelter?

I know it's hard but with some work and help you'll get over it and will be happy with her for sure, be strong! I'd go with Dyna's sugestion and find a good trainer, it'll set you back some but it'll be the best you can do.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Sounds a bit like my Mona for the first few months after we adopted her. Initially she was pretty OK with crating, but as she got attached to us she started having pretty big issues being crated while we were at work. She's part King Charles Caviler which are kind of notorious for separation issues. It got to the point where she would destroy anything in or around her crate if we were gone for any period.

Eventually we decided that letting her be outside the crate would let her be social with the other dog (a non-crate trained pooch) and choose which toys she wanted instead of whatever we happened to toss in there with her. We also tried to set her up for success, so anything that looks tempting gets put in a drawer or out of her reach, all the doors in the house get closed except the bedroom, and we bought baby gates so she basically can only go from the bedroom down the hallway to the dining room and living room. It took us a few TV remotes, toilet paper rolls, and end table knicknacks to realize that tempting items means basically anything she can pick up with her mouth, and we still do a "puppy patrol" before we go out of the house for long periods. It's not as big of an issue for 1-2 hour periods, but if we will be gone a few hours it gets put away. We also have gotten better about garbage can access and what goes into the bedroom and bathroom waste paper baskets. Things like shoes you can make sure she doesn't have access to, though I'm not sure what you can do about carpet, maybe find a soft toy for her made of similar material?

She hasn't had a major incident in a long time. We can't leave her with a kong or anything good based to provide an immediate long term distraction because the other dog is resource guarding. They both get a regular treat when we leave, preferably something chewy so it lasts a bit longer, and this has helped her associate us putting the kitchen gate up with treat time instead of us leaving. We try to be out the door before she is done chewing.

Sometimes a dog just isn't a crate-the-whole-workday kind of dog or will never be totally Ok with being alone for an extremely long period. You can build up their ability to endure these issues, but don't expect changes overnight.

Here is a picture of when I learned the hard way not to leave a bed in her crate or to leave clothes on top.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 19, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Do you really keep your dogs locked in a small crate all day? Instead of like, training them not to be destructive or have separation anxiety?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dyna Soar posted:

Do you really keep your dogs locked in a small crate all day? Instead of like, training them not to be destructive or have separation anxiety?

The OP posted:

Take the ethical discussions elsewhere

But yeah apparently it's very popular for training puppies, the gist of it is that you first asociate the crate as a safe place, basically the puppie's place, and make it comfy and good to hang around when you're not there.

Kinda like letting your teenage son "rent" the basement.

vv Oh I know, it's super odd to me as well, was warning just in case! It's not ilegal here in Spain afaik but judging by people's reactions it might as well be.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 19, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Not looking to start poo poo, I just had no idea americans do that. I think it's illegal here.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Leaving a dog in a crate all day is illegal in most of Europe as it is associated with puppy mills. When I moved to the US from Britain and saw people doing it I was rather confused by it as well but not as confused as when I tell people it is illegal along with tail docking and other look modifying procedures.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

E: never mind, I don't want to continue a derail

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

BigPaddy posted:

Leaving a dog in a crate all day is illegal in most of Europe as it is associated with puppy mills. When I moved to the US from Britain and saw people doing it I was rather confused by it as well but not as confused as when I tell people it is illegal along with tail docking and other look modifying procedures.

This is all covered in the OP (which people should definitely read before posting here):

quote:

2. Take the ethical discussions elsewhere
In Europe, crate training is illegal and frowned upon because of the association of crates and puppy mills. Some people believe that Cesar Milan is the Anti-Christ. The point is, we don’t care. Ethical debates are outside of the scope of this thread and if you are determined to have them, please do so in a separate thread.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

As far as I can see, it's only illegal in Sweden and not 'Europe'/

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Well, without commenting on crating itself I think we all agree that it's not a solution for separation anxiety or bad behaviour? Those issues should be addressed by training.

Crate or don't, but if you do only crate a happy dog.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 19, 2015

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

BigPaddy posted:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Lol what since when has crating been illegal or even a niche thing in Britain literally every pet shop openly sells them

im an orange
Jun 24, 2005
Last year, my dad took the family yorkie to the vet for a yearly checkup.

The vet said our yorkie has difficulty expressing his anal glands due to weak hips. mentioned this to a vet tech friend and she's never heard of weak hips causing this problem. Vet Tech friend told me it's bad to express a dog's glands too frequently, as it can exacerbate the problem.

So now my dad expresses my dog's anal glands every other week, occasionally once a week.

I'm curious if this is OK or if I should get a second opinion?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Quick question here and I'm torn between things I've read; I'm crate training Boris since we got him and he's pretty good, gurgles for a minute and then goes on to sleep. But I'm not sure if I should be throwing a big puppy party when I let him out or what? Will that create seperation anxiety issues (although I'm here the whole time) like the celebrations when coming home from work or whatever would? Trying to be as proper as possible with the training from the onset to instill good habits in us, moreso than him.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Do not throw a party when releasing from crate. Keep it as low key as possible. Mine have to wait too until I have opened the door and stepped back a few steps before I release them.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, I definitely don't want to put my dog in a crate all day but I can't find a better solution. People just say "find a trainer" as if it were that easy. The trainers I can find online in my area seem to only offer boarding (which is expensive as heck. Plus I don't think that would really work to fix separation anxiety she has at home) or classes, which again, doesn't seem like it would be a solution. I called her vet asking about it. The receptionist was confused. "So you don't want to make an appointment? Try Petsmart for training."

I'm feeling pretty hopeless at this point. I could just let her run free but I'm really worried she's going to damage the carpet more. Plus, that isn't really solving the issue of anxiety.

I was even thinking about getting another dog since she acts extremely well when my mom brings her dog here. She doesn't seem to get anxious at all when people leave, even if they're both crated. But that plan can go horribly wrong in 99 different ways too.

Thanks for the advice, in any case. I will keep calling people to try to find some training help. Until then, I guess I'll just let her run free and hope she doesn't decide to attack the carpet.

Edit: By the way, she's about 2 years old. Has had at least one litter. Really mixed looking so I'm not sure what breed she is but she has some pit in there. 35 lbs.

Mathematics fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 20, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'm no expert, but a second dog is unlike to fix her anxiety. She's missing you and a dog companion will not make her miss you less. I'd say getting a second dog is a bad idea until you've worked through her issues.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm no expert, but a second dog is unlike to fix her anxiety. She's missing you and a dog companion will not make her miss you less. I'd say getting a second dog is a bad idea until you've worked through her issues.

Agreed. If your dog is anxious and you introduce a new, uncontrolled element into the house, your dog may very well turn aggressive toward it.

Separation anxiety is a big hurdle to get over, but it is achievable. You have to start with things like going into another room for a few seconds and then coming back with treats. Then to the other side of a door, then outside, etc. Slowly build up the time you're gone for. Pup's gotta learn that going away just means that extra special fun times happen when you come back.

Thor used to freak out when we'd leave for more than 5 minutes, but now he can't wait for us to go so he can turn the entire couch into a pillow fortress and nap. Seriously. He runs upstairs into the guest bedroom (which doesn't have a door), steals all the pillows and brings them down 3 flights of stairs, and uses them + the couch pillows to build a little nest. Then he crawls under it and sleeps all day.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Agreed. If your dog is anxious and you introduce a new, uncontrolled element into the house, your dog may very well turn aggressive toward it.

Separation anxiety is a big hurdle to get over, but it is achievable. You have to start with things like going into another room for a few seconds and then coming back with treats. Then to the other side of a door, then outside, etc. Slowly build up the time you're gone for. Pup's gotta learn that going away just means that extra special fun times happen when you come back.

Thor used to freak out when we'd leave for more than 5 minutes, but now he can't wait for us to go so he can turn the entire couch into a pillow fortress and nap. Seriously. He runs upstairs into the guest bedroom (which doesn't have a door), steals all the pillows and brings them down 3 flights of stairs, and uses them + the couch pillows to build a little nest. Then he crawls under it and sleeps all day.
I thought the bolded is shown not to help SA? There shouldn't be super happy fun times when you get back, a dog with SA can only have super happy fun times when you're present. Rather he just needs to have confidence to be alone. I got a hound on Sunday and while he isn't destructive in his crate while I'm gone, he will bark/whine/bay for 2-10 minutes after I crate him and leave the apartment. He is also super stuborn about going in there despite only getting PB Kong/bone/pigs ears while in there. He gives no fucks about any of them though. I'm pretty sure I'm at fault though as the first day I got him I did a quick grocery run to see if he'd have anxiety and entered the apartment while he was barking (after 30 or so minutes.) I didn't let him out until he calmed down, but I think he still thinks it can summon me. Uncrated I can leave and he just waits at the door with a few whimpers (also working on that) but his foster stated he might be a bit destructive. I'll be working to see if that's true this weekend.

Dyna Soar posted:

There's no guarantee so it's last resort, but I read multiple anecdotes of it being the solution for people's bassets with bad SA before I got my guy. A foster with the option to adopt might be a good idea in that case.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 20, 2015

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Two days in a row my puppy has tricked me with a poop outside, followed 45 minutes later by a steaming pile on the living room floor. What gives bud I been taking you out every 2 hours. I got speckles of soap and deodorant all over my carpet :(

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Are inflatable cones more tolerable (for the dog) than the standard ones?. Hana got a scratch over her eye that she keeps opening up and she loathes wearing the cone...

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My dog won't jump up on the bed without heavy cheerleading. If he isn't on the bed when I'm on the bed he cries and cries and cries. He sits by the bed and he cries. He will not jump up on the bed on his own, or even with the encouragement I can give him without having to get up. Half the time I just pick him up and plop him on the bed to get it over with. If I put something for him to step up on so he doesn't have to make one big leap he won't do anything with it.

I don't understand, Lee.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Hey, thanks for the advice in this thread, sorry for posting constantly.

I took my separation anxiety prone dog on a goddamn two hour walk today after playing for 30 minutes in the dog park. I went to work for 8 hours and came back with the house 100% intact. Nothing was out of place. She still barked when I left but it seemed less frantic than usual.

No idea how this will be sustainable, especially for winter, but I guess when people say "exercise your dog to get rid of behavior problems", they mean a lot.

(At least in some cases.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo my dog is picky as gently caress with treats. Post links to what has worked for you tia

- edit this jerk

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo my dog is picky as gently caress with treats. Post links to what has worked for you tia

What have you tried?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What have you tried?

Yeah, I mean here's my list:

kiwi skins
hot dogs :V
cheese :V
salmon skin
raw meat of any type
snap peas
carrots
cat treats of any type
ice cubes
crackers
peanut butter
etc

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I gave my dogs some plain canned pumpkin when one of them was having poo issues a while back and they both loving love it. They seem to like it better than peanut butter in a kong (I freeze em to make them last longer too)

Other favourites include whatever I am eating (I don't give in unless I am done and I have walked into the kitchen to take my plate out and put a bite in their bowls, assuming it is a dog safe food).

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 24, 2015

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

some dogs just aren't particularly food motivated though. I work in a shelter so it could be a shelter stress thing, but some dogs you just can't ply with food treats.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Hot dogs and deli meat are usually pretty reliable.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Shithouse Dave posted:

I gave my dogs some plain canned pumpkin when one of them was having poo issues a while back and they both loving love it. They seem to like it better than peanut butter in a kong (I freeze em to make them last longer too)

Canned pumpkin is magic. Easy to digest, and my dog loves it more than anything, I think. Pretty much the perfect treat.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

cloudy posted:

Canned pumpkin is magic. Easy to digest, and my dog loves it more than anything, I think. Pretty much the perfect treat.

(awesome album by the way)

iIve been meaning to try oven dried sweet potato jerky. Low on calories and dogs supposedly love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

He loving loves processedcheddar cheese and of course anything I'm eating. But doesn't care for the bacon flavored treats, milk bones, little chicken reward treats. Also wasn't a fan of peanut butter but it was the gross healthy poo poo not skippy or something.

He did like the pig ear I got him though and I've been meaning to get more.

The only thing he actually destroyed was some bison meat flavored thing shaped like a small chicken bone.

He's just so picky and I'm a bit overwhelmed with options

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Gonna need pics

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 24, 2015