Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

nimper posted:

It's most likely screen burn-in, which happens to AMOLED displays like the Note 3 has.

Thanks. Is this a legitimate gripe in your opinion? If I should have known better that's a lesson learned but I feel like this should have been disclosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nm misread

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Reggie Died posted:

I'm new to Android, so this may or may not be a stupid question.

Have had the S6 for a few months now, and use power-amp as my main music player.

I'm streaming music in my truck via Bluetooth, and place / take a phone call, then get out of the truck while still on the phone. When the phone call ends, my music starts up again over the phone speakers. It can be rather embarrassing depending on the crappy music I have playing at the time.

I have "Pause on Headset Disconnect" checked in power amp settings. Any ideas?

Somtimes it's a quick 2 seconds of audio then it terminates. But often times it just keeps playing into I manually stop it.
I've had some variation of this problem for years on all kinds of devices and firmwares. Now I either pause the music before answering the phone, or while on the call I will swipe down from the top of the screen and pause/close the music app in question from the notification area.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

antiga posted:

Thanks. Is this a legitimate gripe in your opinion? If I should have known better that's a lesson learned but I feel like this should have been disclosed.

It's a legitimate gripe and should have been disclosed

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I just got an LG G4 and I love it, the only thing I can't seem to figure out is how I can make notification sounds come through the headphones only when they are plugged in. As it is now the sound will come through the headphones, but it will also come out of the phone speaker as well.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My lock pattern is intentionally simple, because it is designed to stop my 1 year old from doing random things to my apps and home screen while she is pawing at or gnawing on my phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Porkchop Express posted:

I just got an LG G4 and I love it, the only thing I can't seem to figure out is how I can make notification sounds come through the headphones only when they are plugged in. As it is now the sound will come through the headphones, but it will also come out of the phone speaker as well.
Hmm, my wife and I haven't run into this problem on our G4s.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

datajosh posted:

Hmm, my wife and I haven't run into this problem on our G4s.

It wasn't working for the last 2 days then all of a sudden it started working just now. loving weird.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Anyone have experience with ordering Motorola phones from Canada to the US? Is it possible to do so without having to fly there or knowing someone there? Entertaining the idea of getting Canadian Moto Play.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Motorola only sells the v60 in Canada

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

DOOP posted:

When did Apple change the DRM?Because I probably have some old music then.

Sometime in early 2009. Anything bought before then is DRMed. The default unprotected Apple format is *.m4a. Any Android music player worth it's salt should play these.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skarsnik posted:

I'm on MPA44l, the new one

However I did only fastboot flash the system.img, as apparently that's all that changed

I wonder if it's an issue similar to the contacts db bug if you upgraded from 1 to 2. It had a new schema but no code to upgrade it

No time for a clean flash today though

Tunga - found the bug report: https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=2977

As mentioned in the bug, restarting into safe mode, and sending myself an sms appears to have fixed it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Android Thread - restarting into safe mode, and sending myself an sms appears to have fixed it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well I could have sent a friend a message and waited for a reply, but , well, you know

:smith:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Tunga - found the bug report: https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=2977

As mentioned in the bug, restarting into safe mode, and sending myself an sms appears to have fixed it
Thanks, will probably give it a whirl over the weekend when my phone is less critical (it's also my main dev device).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Only other issue I've found was trying to change ring tone from within the phone app gave a 'phone app does not have permission to change system settings'

I checked, it does, but android

Changing within settings as usual works through the media picker seems a bit crashy

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
EDIT Nevermind, was given bad info, I am dumb

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 21, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

So here's a story about the Verizon 2014 Moto X:

Back with the X launched on Verizon, they said that it could not do voice and data, but it would be able to once it got the VoLTE update before the end of the year (2014). Fast forward to almost a year later, as well as two major OS updates, and still no VoLTE. So I called up a cousin that works in Verizon's testing labs, and he said that my question made "an executive get up to ask an admin", and the answer they got back was, "it's never going to get it".

So thanks Verizon. :thumbsup:

On T-Mobile, the Verizon 2014 Moto X does voice and data just fine :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My fiancee's LG G3's battery is not lasting very long anymore. I see it has a replaceable battery, does anyone have a recommended brand or source? There's somebody selling what they claim to be OEM batteries on Amazon, but a bunch of reviews are saying they are counterfeit.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My fiancee's LG G3's battery is not lasting very long anymore. I see it has a replaceable battery, does anyone have a recommended brand or source? There's somebody selling what they claim to be OEM batteries on Amazon, but a bunch of reviews are saying they are counterfeit.
If they aren't in the retail packaging there's a good chance they are knockoffs. They will cost more but get one at a carrier store or something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-LG-G3-BATTERY-Genuine-Original-BL-53YH-VS985-F400-D850-D855-3000mAh-/181731754896

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Require More Fire posted:

So here's a story about the Verizon 2014 Moto X:

Back with the X launched on Verizon, they said that it could not do voice and data, but it would be able to once it got the VoLTE update before the end of the year (2014). Fast forward to almost a year later, as well as two major OS updates, and still no VoLTE. So I called up a cousin that works in Verizon's testing labs, and he said that my question made "an executive get up to ask an admin", and the answer they got back was, "it's never going to get it".

So thanks Verizon. :thumbsup:
My N5 does voice+data just fine on t-mo.

Maybe your verizon is defective?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
im gonna buy the gently caress out of that blackberry

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Ev posted:

I'm having the widest thing happening with my Nexus 6. Three times in the past three days (do once per day) audio has started playing from my phone while it's locked and either sitting on my desk or in my pocket. The first two times it sounded like some kind of DIY YouTube video but it just happened again about five minutes ago and it was some song that I didn't recognize.

I tried killing all the apps that were open using the app switcher thing and it still kept playing. The past two days it happened the only way I found to stop the audio was to play something else and then pause whatever I started playing, but today the song ended before I got a chance to do that since I was trying to kill apps to see I could figure out what the hell is doing this.

The weird thing is, the two DIY-sounding things are definitely things I've never watched and the song was one that I didn't recognize at all. And I don't even have any music stored on my phone.

So what the hell could be causing this? Apart from this really weird thing, the phone seems to be acting normal.

Do you have an android wear device?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/21/smasung-push-notification-ads-just-like-htc-and-sony/

Samsung joins HTC and Sony with pushing ads on their users via the notification area.

I just...ugh, my outrage reservoir is just so empty at this point. gently caress them. gently caress them all. Advertising ruins every.loving.thing. and users should not stand for having core services of their device spamming the notification area with promotions.

I dislike apple products in general, but this would be the one thing that would push me to them. Notification spam is the worst and people shouldn't stand for it in any way shape or form.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/21/smasung-push-notification-ads-just-like-htc-and-sony/

Samsung joins HTC and Sony with pushing ads on their users via the notification area.

I just...ugh, my outrage reservoir is just so empty at this point. gently caress them. gently caress them all. Advertising ruins every.loving.thing. and users should not stand for having core services of their device spamming the notification area with promotions.
But see you shouldn't root because

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

Rooting is not a valid workaround for this because you still bought their loving hardware. You still gave them money which validated their approach.

I would rather use a tin can with strings than be subjected to device sponsored notification SPAM. It's intolerable.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Horrible argument

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I dislike apple products in general, but this would be the one thing that would push me to them. Notification spam is the worst and people shouldn't stand for it in any way shape or form.

How about a whole bunch of ads that take up your home screen for devices and services you don't have or use and that can't be removed.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Those can be stuffed in a folder and forgotten and you only have to do it once. It's not much of a hassle.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How about a whole bunch of ads that take up your home screen for devices and services you don't have or use and that can't be removed.

This is a terrible comparison and Android has the exact same non issue with pre installed apps.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is a terrible comparison and Android has the exact same non issue with pre installed apps.

Android lets you disable them so you never see them in any folder or app launcher.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rastor posted:

Android lets you disable them so you never see them in any folder or app launcher.

And people still bitch about it. Equating pre installed apps on either OS to "advertisement spam" is dumb.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Sounds like more reason to only buy Nexus.

Speaking of which, my Nexus 6 seems to have a weird time with Bluetooth ever since the Stagefright OTA (on T-Mobile). Instead of connecting automatically to the old Sony headunit I have in my Jeep (which I've been using since I had an Evo 3D), it just sits there and does nothing. If I try to manually make it connect to the headunit, it clears the list of 'available Bluetooth devices' and acts like Bluetooth is off. Turning it on doesn't do anything since the next time the screen refreshes, it will be back to thinking Bluetooth is off.

The only way to get it to connect is to power the phone off, then power it back on, at which point it automatically connects like it used to.

Anyone else seeing this / got any thoughts on how to fix it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is a distinct difference between paying $800 for a device and knowing what it is like out of the box before you plunk the money down and having ad notifications pushed to you after the fact without your prior consent.

There is this attitude now that no matter what a service or item costs, we can just squeeze a little bit more money out of it by heaping ads on top of it and it has to stop.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bull3964 posted:

You do realize that Apple do precisely the same thing - notifying you randomly about their store promotions and stuff?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wooger posted:

You do realize that Apple do precisely the same thing - notifying you randomly about their store promotions and stuff?
No they really don't. I'm an all-Apple guy and I've never received a notification about store promotions, either retail stuff or App Store stuff. Maybe it's because when the apps launched I clicked "No" to notifications? Is Samsung giving users that option? Otherwise I don't understand the comparison.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of which, my Nexus 6 seems to have a weird time with Bluetooth ever since the Stagefright OTA (on T-Mobile).
Maybe it'll fix itself when the real Stagefright OTA goes out?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No they really don't. I'm an all-Apple guy and I've never received a notification about store promotions, either retail stuff or App Store stuff. Maybe it's because when the apps launched I clicked "No" to notifications? Is Samsung giving users that option? Otherwise I don't understand the comparison.

I've seen guys on Twitter who are usually Apple shills complaining about it on Twitter. And there were screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wooger posted:

I've seen guys on Twitter who are usually Apple shills complaining about it on Twitter. And there were screenshots.
Did they also post a screenshot of their Notifications settings where they must have opted into them? Otherwise I think you were given out of context information and are making misinformed comments. Weird how Twittwr does that to people.

Edit: I don't doubt that Apple can and probably does send notifications about sales in the App Store, Apple Store, iTunes Store, etc. but my distinction here is that you have to opt in to receive them. That doesn't sound like the case with what these Android OEMs are doing but I'm happy to have someone show me that I'm wrong. I usually only interact with Nexus devices.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 21, 2015