Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

loving it up before she even starts is impressive, even for Luann.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Zereth posted:

And Snoopy's transformation away from being a dog is in full swing. :(

Snoopy's developing an inner monologue is somehow less weird than that Charlie Brown takes care of four different babies - Schroeder, Lucy, Linus, and Sally - who all catch up to his age, the first two in less than three years of the strip.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I went to a café like this a few weeks ago. An hour between arriving and actually being served. And with wait times like that, there wasn't exactly a high rate of turnover, but somehow the staff seemed to be rushed off their feet the whole time. It was mystifying.

Of course Knut's there, he's the one who was voluntarily cleaning the highschool toilets.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
She's seen you with your costume on and mask off, Peter! There is no denying it at this stage!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

[b]Reply All

Code? All the ones I've seen you just select "grapes". :confused:

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tiggum posted:

I went to a café like this a few weeks ago. An hour between arriving and actually being served. And with wait times like that, there wasn't exactly a high rate of turnover, but somehow the staff seemed to be rushed off their feet the whole time. It was mystifying.

Did they have a separate "banquet room" with maybe an office party, or other large group of people being served? My wife attends a monthly wine tasting at a local restaurant that's either held on an outside patio, or in an adjacent room. Since it's "ladies only", I usually sit at the bar with the valets watching a baseball game or something. These get-togethers can have upward of 50 attendees, and while the rest of the restaurant is relatively quiet, the waitstaff are working insanely hard in attending to the folks in the room you don't see.

Tiggum posted:

It's a self checkout line. The self checkout line at our grocer utilizes a ring binder full of barcodes for whatever loose produce you're buying by weight. It's a pain because you have to leaf through the pages until you find the correct one. I usually skip self checkout if I'm buying produce, as it takes more than twice as long as just having the regular human cashier handle it.

Jane's World

Why is she still wearing her bicycle helmet?

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

That apron... :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/20/2004

That dog... :ughh:

Speaking of grapes... Zits

I can't stand it when I see people do this. I mean, if it's offered by the vendor, like it sometimes is when we go to our local open air market, that's perfectly cool. But just because it happens to be loose, and unpackaged doesn't give you the right to graze at will.

Kevin & Kell

This has got to be yet another cameo. I wonder who these people are?

Good thing she's not at the Outer Banks, as yelling shark when there isn't one could probably get you arrested this Summer.

Mark Trail

[thought balloon]
Yeah think nothing of it...
AND ALSO THINK NOTHING OF MY loving ART SHOW TOMORROW EITHER! I'LL BE UP ALL NIGHT NOW! THANKS FOR NOTHING THE HUSBAND I CALL KEN!
[/thought balloon]

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Did they have a separate "banquet room" with maybe an office party, or other large group of people being served?
Nope.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

It's a self checkout line. The self checkout line at our grocer utilizes a ring binder full of barcodes for whatever loose produce you're buying by weight. It's a pain because you have to leaf through the pages until you find the correct one. I usually skip self checkout if I'm buying produce, as it takes more than twice as long as just having the regular human cashier handle it.
Huh. Self checkouts here just have touchscreens where you select wherever fresh produce you're buying, it weighs it, and you're done. Takes a few seconds. The most common things are on one screen, the rest listed alphabetically.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here when buying fresh produce there's a number on the price tag put up next to the produce. That number corresponds to a button on a digital scale that you find several of here and there in the produce section.

You take your produce, usually putting it in a plastic bag, put on the scale and hit the right button. A price sticker with barcode is printed, put that on your bag. Now it checks out like any other item with a bar code.

I have never seen a self-checkout though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Self checkouts are basically satanic altars. Every time you get frustrated with one a tiny demon gets his spiked tail.

Nemi must be wearing the factor 5 billion to stay so pale while wearing so little.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everything gets gams. EVERYTHING.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set ponders economic truths.

Working Daze does work to avoid work.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gives you four easy steps.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Remember when Dilbert was about office politics?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

:greencube:

The Phantom

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Wait, are they making tiny versions of themselves making tiny versions of themselves?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's "secret jungle medicine". They're mashing together the finest hallucinogenics unknown to science.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

In the land of Theron, there's no need for clothing. Yes, remove them slowly. It pleases me. :pervert:

Bloom County 2015

Skippy, in which the Uncle Louie machine continues to fall into place. (June 21, 1928)

Peanuts, in which yes, we're getting the story from that movie. (August 22, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way is going to take you out behind the barn for such foolishness. (October 3-4, 1927)

And yes, apparently this is the status quo on the ranch for the next little while. :rolleyes:

Thimble Theater (March 8, 1929)

Castor, with a vague feeling that the strip is slipping away from him, gets his shots in while he can.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Raw, Naked Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Why are you surprised? Poncho has been the cause of every conflict since this strip began.

Ballard Street

Looks like Jeremy Clarkson is celebrating his $250 million Amazon deal in style.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

goatface posted:

It's "secret jungle medicine"*. They're mashing together the finest hallucinogenics unknown to science.

* In the Bandar tongue.

Slight adjustment. :haw:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

goatface posted:

Nemi must be wearing the factor 5 billion to stay so pale while wearing so little.

Nah, just

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
When did Darren's adoptive parents turn into Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The ticket seller dog in that Ballard Street is giving me some Far Side vibes.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

"We didn't explain to Tiffany why we invited her over and so she went and dressed nicely and acted all surprised when we told her we just wanted her for manual labor! gently caress that bitch Tiffany!"

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

I think the decades of being a preteen are taking their toll on Hil's mental state.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Produce has a code for the cashier. Different kinds of grapes (red, green, organic, etc) can have different prices. The codes are on the labels on all your fruit and stuff. I think it's most often a four digit number that usually starts with 4, but it starts with a different number for organic stuff. Cashiers get to know these numbers real well.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Speaking of grapes... Zits

I can't stand it when I see people do this. I mean, if it's offered by the vendor, like it sometimes is when we go to our local open air market, that's perfectly cool. But just because it happens to be loose, and unpackaged doesn't give you the right to graze at will.
When I worked produce, I was told we were cool with people doing that. In fact, if someone wanted to try something, we were to cut it up for them or whatever. I think there were several reasons for this. For one, produce can greatly vary in taste, even for the same items--if you buy peaches one week, you won't necessarily get similar tasting peaches the next. For another, a lot of produce just gets old or goes bad and gets thrown out anyways, so it's not a big loss issue when someone takes a few grapes or whatever. Finally, you should always have at least three items when doing a list like this.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mmmmm...Splak.

Rex Morgan MD

I expected them to explain a little more what he meant yesterday. Is he gay? Do they just not want to come right out and say that because comic strips? I mean I kind of read between the lines yesterday but I'm used to my daily comics lacking that kind of subtlety.

Secret Agent X-9

I like how in the last panel the ink lines make it look like the car is speeding by X-9 while his buddy yells out the window at him.

Apartment 3-G

The woman in the foreground yesterday was apparently there for no reason.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

It's more than she usually wears.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Got a bit of the Innsmouth Look about him.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Mmmmm... Splak.

e: drat it how did i not see that posted with it originally

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 21, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 21-22, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (February 9-11, 1953)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Mmmmm...Splak.
"Boy, I wish she'd tell me why she's upset!"

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Three (February 9-11, 1953)

What the heck is he talking about? I can't think of a single thing that isn't improved by spite.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

I like how Godiva can say that without bursting out in laughter.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

That noise must be the sound of the readers throwing heavy objects at their screens after seeing these two zilches reappear.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Johnny Walker posted:

Mmmmm...Splak.

Dewgy posted:

Mmmmm... Splak.

Mmmmm...

splak

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Forktoss posted:

Mmmmm...

splak

:vince:

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban didn't update... yet.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/21/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Mark Trail

Oh, I dunno, probably something along the lines of missing nuclear material would be my guess. And, drat, Ken's foreheaaaaddd!! IT'S GROWING!

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 21, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

(For reference for future edit-makers: the FOOB font's actually not too far from FW's, except for those stupid "L"'s made from tildes. Thankfully "boxcar" didn't need that. Shouts to the OP for linking the FOOB font!)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 21, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Memories. :allears:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

an awful joke from Mother Goose & Grimm I had to share.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Y'ain't kidding. Going back to the first post (2013?! holy smokes) while looking for that font and re-seeing some old edits, dang do I miss Borden, Death Ray, R Ubbish, like they were old friends... where are they now? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Forktoss posted:

Mmmmm...

splak

Stop it. You're making me hungry. :(

quote:

Dilbert

It really isn't.