Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ExecuDork posted:

You don't have to get two PODS the same size - if you think everything will fit in a 26-foot truck, get one 16-footer and one 10-footer, save a few bucks. And a locked POD (you provide the lock) is probably more secure than a truck, anyways.

Edit: they'll drop a POD in any legal parking space. Carrying your furniture across the street is a pain, but it might save some money and other hassle.
A neighbor of mine had a seacan full of his tools/business stuff (he is a homebuilder) parked on the street next to his house (actually, next to my house) in our middle class neighborhood for about 3 months before and it was no problem so street parking might not be insane. Just make sure you check your municipality about that you might need a permit.

1500quidporsche posted:

Got the kart van out of storage and had a quick look. Going to need to take it out of the van so I can rotate the axle to be able to read a number off the bearing but now that I can compare it looks almost identical to what you posted slidebite.
Good, I can probably tell you exactly what your options are once I know what it is. It should be pretty straight forward.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

ExecuDork posted:

Sequential PODS. POD 1 gets dropped off at old place empty, you fill it. PODS truck comes and swaps for POD 2, which you fill while the truck takes POD 1 to their secure yard. Then the truck picks up your POD 2 and places it at that same secure facility. Storage of full PODS is a service they provide - I had my worldly possessions in one their boxes for 4 months while I was in Australia.

On the day you gain possession of your new place, it's the same process in reverse. At no point is there ever more than a single POD on your property, old or new.

You don't have to get two PODS the same size - if you think everything will fit in a 26-foot truck, get one 16-footer and one 10-footer, save a few bucks. And a locked POD (you provide the lock) is probably more secure than a truck, anyways.

Edit: they'll drop a POD in any legal parking space. Carrying your furniture across the street is a pain, but it might save some money and other hassle.

Looks like this will be the plan. Thanks guys!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I just got the weekly Regal Auctions email. I guess they're finally trying to deal with some of the traffic problems they have - by loving driving everyone away with the reserve prices.

97 CR-V, 200k km, rusting quarter panels, rusting at one of the windows, parking lot damage, $3000 reserve.
99 CR-V, 262k km, rusting quarter panels, $3500 reserve.

Insane!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does the auctioneer dictate reserve or the seller?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's gotta be the seller. There's like five cars on the entire docket under $1000.

I miss the good old days of the Parking Authority impound auction, before their reserve jumped to $500.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

Does the auctioneer dictate reserve or the seller?

Seller. They start bidding well under reserve though and if it doesn't get that high they call the seller and initiate a weird awkward haggling process with the highest bidder. I got a $1000 offer on the Vibe (reserve was $2500) when it went through, to which I replied haha gently caress you give me reserve or don't buy my car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Last time I went to regal the reserves were fairly laughable and I think in three hours of being there I saw two cars actually meet the reserve. Most laughable one was $8k for a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's gotta be the seller. There's like five cars on the entire docket under $1000.

I miss the good old days of the Parking Authority impound auction, before their reserve jumped to $500.

They also require the vehicle be towed to your address by their contracted towing company. Which adds to the price.

An 02 530i went for $500 and the Michener Edmonton sale last weekend. I didn't see what kind of shape it was in but drat. Just the chassis should be worth that.

edit: oh man, look how fast and/or furious this thing is.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-honda-accord-2d/1094296422

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 20, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My latest thing has been checking the Pick N Pull Kijiji account.

It's got some good poo poo, and it gets updated more frequently than their website. Either way is much more pleasant than it used to be to visit the aisle of dreams.

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-pick-n-pull/1002608662

Aw, hell yes.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1980-mercedes-benz-450-slc/1080341006?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Speaking of ridiculous hoopties at Regal, if any of you go down there take a look at this thing. Doesn't really matter when, it's never going to sell.
It's loving hilarious in person. Color-shift paint on top of rust that would make an '80s Toyota blush.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My latest thing has been checking the Pick N Pull Kijiji account.

It's got some good poo poo, and it gets updated more frequently than their website. Either way is much more pleasant than it used to be to visit the aisle of dreams.

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-pick-n-pull/1002608662

Aw, hell yes.

I love how it says "includes manual fitness assessment" which for that one i would assume is just a sheet of paper that says "nope"

According to wikipedia, this thing is 4 inches shorter than my lincoln.

Tommychu posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1980-mercedes-benz-450-slc/1080341006?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Speaking of ridiculous hoopties at Regal, if any of you go down there take a look at this thing. Doesn't really matter when, it's never going to sell.
It's loving hilarious in person. Color-shift paint on top of rust that would make an '80s Toyota blush.

that thing has been there for a few months, and "unreserved". I'm guessing people keep buying it, and it can't make it off the lot without something going horribly wrong, and them just dumping it straight back through.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 20, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

I love how it says "includes manual fitness assessment" which for that one i would assume is just a sheet of paper that says "nope"

When I was there it was pretty much the "mechanic" making sure it wouldn't catch fire when it started. Anything to be checked that required them bending over more than 45 degrees wasn't happening.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I parked like the Saskatchewan hick I have become one day just before Christmas this past December, and ended up towed. The Calgary Parking Authority impound lot was an interesting experience. I felt much, MUCH better about myself - having just stupidly gotten my father's car impounded while he was in hospital recovering from surgery - after eavesdropping on a few of the hilariously awkward conversations in the waiting room.

The lot was amazing; I imagine the auctions must be spectacular. I think there are three main categories of vehicles in that lot.
1. Cars like mine. Parked dumb, or otherwise misplaced your ride. No harm, no big deal, pay the fine, go away.
2. Cars moved to the lot because they were part of a major collision. Some of these cars were barely recognizable, burned-out, crumpled wrecks. Very distressing to walk past the thing somebody probably died in.
3. Pristine supercars in there forever. Daddy bought you an R8, but he won't spring it from jail.

I was expecting it to be mostly category 1, but 2 dominated and 3 was by no means rare.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've been told gas should be back under a dollar by friday afternoon, at least for fleet pricing. it should be back to 100-103 at the pumps.
+

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm sure the long weekend following will be another reason to jack it back up.

SUDDEN DEMAND

Funny how Transalta is getting investigated for planning maintenance outages at prime power consumption times yet refineries can plan major turn-arounds during peak summer demand no problem :shrug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They've already been found guilty from a previous price-fixing attempt, too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

I'm sure the long weekend following will be another reason to jack it back up.

SUDDEN DEMAND

Funny how Transalta is getting investigated for planning maintenance outages at prime power consumption times yet refineries can plan major turn-arounds during peak summer demand no problem :shrug:

Because ~*@the invisible hand of capitalism*~

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The invisible hand isn't even giving a reach-around.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

El Scotch posted:

The invisible hand isn't even giving a reach-around.

Invisible blue balls of the market?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Immaculate conception infection

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any idea where to get that egg-crate style foam? Would that be like a fabric place?

I need to wrap some around my telescope when I pack it in the rubbermaid style case I picked up at Walmart.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Any camping place. Camper's village, Rocky Mountain Equipment, Bass Pro

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

walmart in the crafts section.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think Fabricland has some. When I was searching for some stuff for my rib protector Canadian tire had some fairly thick stuff that would do the same job as egg crate that in their camping section but it was like $80 for a huge roll.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/basic-comfort-foam-topper-queen/6000190723669

there you go, $11 for a twin size foam mattress topper.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. A twin topper would probably be close to the right size too.

Thanks boss.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Edmonton / Villeneuve airshow is happening this weekend. Thanks to a friend of mine I got the full VIP / baller experience and flew in. Prior to that we had breakfast in Rocky Mountain House. Today has been a good day. Pictures to follow. Airshow looks to be shaping up nicely. Red bull is here with an Extra 300 (I think). Stunt biplanes by the looks of it as well. Haven't seen anything with turbines yet...

Edit: If you don't have tickets you aren't getting in. They're sold out

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Edmonton / Villeneuve airshow is happening this weekend. Thanks to a friend of mine I got the full VIP / baller experience and flew in. Prior to that we had breakfast in Rocky Mountain House. Today has been a good day. Pictures to follow. Airshow looks to be shaping up nicely. Red bull is here with an Extra 300 (I think). Stunt biplanes by the looks of it as well. Haven't seen anything with turbines yet...

Edit: If you don't have tickets you aren't getting in. They're sold out

Nice! I just went to the Sherwood Park car show. Then drove my boss's S5 that's all tuned up by Stasis. Sweet Jesus that was a good time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nice! I just went to the Sherwood Park car show. Then drove my boss's S5 that's all tuned up by Stasis. Sweet Jesus that was a good time.

To further drive the point home if how awesome the S5's are, they are objectively faster in every way versus the Cessna 172R I flew in. Great, now I'm on Carmax looking at second hand S5's. Good thing our dollar it's poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'd be lying if I said this didn't interest me in the slightest, but the retrofitting to lion seems prohibitive unless there is some way to do it on the super cheap.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=199874&lcn=345502&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I bet you could build something incredibly suspect with lawnmower batteries. I mean New England AI found a mobility scooter in a ditch and turned it into a high voltage death machine with no throttle or off switch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty sure the built in controller for this which would be required for all the gyro magic is somehow tied into the battery BS. Not so sure it'd be an easy feat, but I am compeltely talking out of my rear end here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is greyhound dying?

I was going to dump my pickup in ritchie bros in nisku and catch a bus home, i've done it a ton of times leaving equipment in nisku and stuff.

Now there's only 2 buses a day, 1am and 1pm. There used to be one evey 3 or 4 hours all day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

After Greyhound Canada and USA re-merged in the late 90s service and investment has noticeably declined every year in pursuit of reducing costs in a misguided effort to absolutely maximize profits out of Canadian operations as much as possible. It's given rise to Red-Arrow absolutely clobbering Greyhound on the city-center routes in Alberta.

I have a couple of family friends that used to drive for Greyhound and they either quit or took early retirement in absolute disgust.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah Red Arrow seems much better. I tried to ride Greyhound to pick up my daily driver Subaru and it is just not good anymore. Even Greyhound standards for good.

Red Arrow and the other one (Ebus?) have wifi, snacks, better parking at the pick up locations and no beheadings on record.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just got an email from my folks saying the transfer case on there 2003 2500HD Duramax has a crack in it.

Dads never used 4WD other than lovely weather or a muddy gravel road.

Is there any sort of history with transfer cases on those things dying?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Just got an email from my folks saying the transfer case on there 2003 2500HD Duramax has a crack in it.

Dads never used 4WD other than lovely weather or a muddy gravel road.

Is there any sort of history with transfer cases on those things dying?

is it a crack, or is it just a hole in the bottom of the front case where the clips like to eat through?

and yeah, there's a ton of history of bits of the inside eating their way outside.

This is what the average duramax transfer case looks like at 3 years old.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dur...1gxNMdbLn3bM%3A

cracks can spread from it, too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I do not know. I need to talk to dad to find out what the skinny is. Either way doesn't sound too bizarre then to you?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No. On my dad's 09, they said the chain loosened up and started chewing it's way through the case, and replaced the transfer case on warranty.

pretty much every gm transfer case from 98-07 will develop that hole. just google "GM pump rub". if you don't notice the fluid leaving, even worse things happen within the box.

Because it's so common, you'll never find used parts, either. on rebuilt parts there's usually some ridiculous core charge that they try to gently caress you out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Christ the first kart race was a complete failure.

Chain came off yesterday, I figured the adjustment was just out. Adjusted the chain tension and called it a night. So I do free practice this morning, two laps and suddenly I hear a giant snap and suddenly the engine free revs. Chain didn't come off, it completely broke and flew off into the ether. So I blow $45 and rush getting a new chain on before qualifying. Getting ready to go out and the race director is just staring at my engine. I ask him what's up and he says "oh nothing". So I go out in qualifying and sure enough just before the end of my second lap I hear another loving snap. These loving upper engine mount bolts came loose after I tightened them two weeks ago so the engine just decided to go wherever it pleased and took the chain with it. Apparently the race director was staring at it lift up as I reved it to warm it up on the grid and didn't bother telling me :suicide:

I just said gently caress it I'm going home after that. Now have the pleasure of buying another chain and now a gear then finding out whether the fuckhead who had the engine before me stripped the cylinder block where those bolts go.

e: On the plus side the Super Lube has pretty much eliminated my bearing noise. They did bleed a shitload of black goo when cleaning them with brake cleaner before spraying them though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 23, 2015