Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I can't even tell what Bush believes in. He's opposed to "anchor babies" and supports birthright citizenship. What?

Internet Webguy posted:

I think this criticism is overrated. I get it in the base terms but no exchange will go "Who's that?" "Jeb." "Oh, well that is enough information I need to make an important political decision. Thank you, fellow citizen."
It's not a big deal, and I certainly don't think anyone doesn't know who he is or is confused as to whether or not he's related to George W. Bush. But when I hear "Bush," I immediately think "Iraq-War-hate-Privatize-Social-Security-loathe-Financial-Meltdown-despise," and given Jeb Bush's choice of advisors and his statements so far, I want that to be the gut reaction to this latest iteration too. Not "Jeb-Jeb-Bush-Bush-oh-right-Dubya's-brother-Iraq-War-etc."

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xenophon posted:

I can't even tell what Bush believes in. He's opposed to "anchor babies" and supports birthright citizenship. What?

Maybe he is the real rival to Trump after all. He has embraced incoherence.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Montasque posted:

Jeb Bush Cites Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio in Defending Birthright Citizenship

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/20/jeb-bush-cites-ted-cruz-and-marco-rubio-in-defending-birthright-citizenship/?_r=0

Marco Rubio - Anchor Baby.

Apparently Birth Tourism is a real thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/01/china-us-birth-tourism_n_7187180.html

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fade5 posted:

I'm not sure if this is another landmine or not.

I mean, it's not a self-own like Jeb! has done so many times now, but he's painting a gigantic loving target right on his back by going after Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio.

Also :lol: he didn't even mention Bobby Jindal, who literally would not have US citizenship without Birthright Citizenship.

Has anyone even mentioned taking away birthright citizenship from children born to people in the US legally? Because I don't think they have, unless I've just missed the real racist poo poo. I don't support taking it away from anyone, but the left is going to do itself in if it keeps failing to recognize the difference between legal immigrants, visa-overstayers, and undocumented immigrants. Those are three distinct groups of people and it's non-sensical to treat them as if they are the same. The only thing they have in common is that they came from another country at some point.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Xenophon posted:

Maybe he wants to institute a system where undocumented mothers are rounded up whenever they show up at hospitals in labor. If we can get them across the border before the baby pops out then that takes care of that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Xenophon posted:

He believes he wants to be president really bad yet also has to win a republican primary in order to see the general election.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xenophon posted:

You know how race cars hang on each others' asses to benefit from the aerodynamic wake the lead car is leaving?

Well that's what the whole GOP bench is doing, with Trump being the lead car.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Joseph Lieberman

You keep mentioning him as if the fact that he came out for McCain in 2008, and was afterward allowed by the Dems to keep his committee seniority, is entirely irrelevant.

Nevermind that when he "singlehandedly" ( :ssh: Dems weren't acting in good faith!) killed Medicare-at-55 he faced not even a phonecall from Obama, much less any arm-twisting by the Dem caucus. Also nevermind that Lieberman was simply playing the role of rotating villain, which charade allows the Dems to never have nice things that the lobbyists who fund them, like AHIP, expressly don't want..

Honestly, I've never seen a bigger bunch of crybabies as Dems under this administration. The Audacity of Hope, what?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

PT6A posted:

Has anyone even mentioned taking away birthright citizenship from children born to people in the US legally? Because I don't think they have, unless I've just missed the real racist poo poo. I don't support taking it away from anyone, but the left is going to do itself in if it keeps failing to recognize the difference between legal immigrants, visa-overstayers, and undocumented immigrants. Those are three distinct groups of people and it's non-sensical to treat them as if they are the same. The only thing they have in common is that they came from another country at some point.

I don't think any of the candidates has got that far down into the details. What if you are here on a student visa? tourist visa? Temporary worker? H1B?. All of these are legal status.

The US and Canada are the only developed countries that have birthright status according to this site.

The Site

I'm not sure how they do it in other countries, as far as the student\tourist etc... visas. This is not new territory, there are plenty of other examples.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

You keep mentioning him as if the fact that he came out for McCain in 2008, and was afterward allowed by the Dems to keep his committee seniority, is entirely irrelevant.

I'm sure kicking him out of the party would also have done wonders for the Democratic supermajority of 2008-2010.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ Here's an idea, then: Don't let him call the shots by being the 55th vote against a clause in a bill that was ultimately passed needing only 51 votes. Or pick up the drat phone. Or give him Homeland Security to wreck instead of healthcare reform. Of course, those wouldn't do bc the insurance industry didn't want Medicare to be opened up.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because the 50-state strategy is about electing Democrats, not liberals

Your beloved strawman Lieberman didn't run as a Dem, nor did he vote as one. And the 50-state strategy was put in place for party-building, not for electing any old hick with a D next to his name.

You're a terrific example why so-called conventional wisdom is neither.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still sticking by my bet that Hilary will have Hulian on her short list of VP picks to groom him for a possible run in 4-8 years and ushering in a Castro Presidency while his brother moves up through the ranks in Congress. Plus picking a Castro VP actually makes sense and would be a potential boost to the ticket, unlike fevered goon dreams of Elizabeth Warren who doesn't want to be part of the executive in the first place.

Comedy option: Castro brothers run for the presidency itself and Hilary loses the primary to a young charismatic guy for the second time. :laugh:

Yes. The Democrats are going to nominate the loving HUD Secretary for President in 2016. because they're complete loving idiots

E: Re: the 50 State Strategy, WhiskeyJuvenile is probably correct insofar as a 50-state strategy would lead to more moderate pro-business Dems - if you increase the total number of Democrats overall, some of those are going to be moderates. But I don't see any reason for thinking those would be the only people elected by a 50-state strategy. And more importantly, electing more Democrats diminishes the power of those marginal Dems, it doesn't increase it.

Bob Ojeda fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 20, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tricky D posted:

Bobby Jindal thinks he can run with the big dogs.

Guess whose parents weren't US citizens at the time of his birth :ssh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Published in July.

So they were openly calling the Jewish candidate a Nazi even before I speculated it was only a matter of time. :psyduck:

I do enjoy the irony of their gloating about Bernie trailing Hillary, though. National Review thinking he's unelectable is the most certain confirmation he'll be President yet. :laugh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hell yah

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
america is one great rescission away from becoming a third world country. this is inevitable, because such economic crunches benefit the wealthy in the short term. we are already close, when you look at our education/wealth gap/military spending/incarceration/militarized police.

we don't have time for strategic voting when both the country and the planet is dying.

bernie or nothing.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Bern sure knows his crowd.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bernie's polling at 34% in Arizona, vs 56% for Hillary.

And Trump is absolutely dominating the Republicans at 33%

http://www.oann.com/pollaz/

e

Among WI Democrats, Hillary Clinton leads for president at 44%. Bernie Sanders 32%, Joe Biden 12%, others less than 1%

https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/634415472642011136

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 20, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Bernie's polling at 34% in Arizona, vs 56% for Hillary.

And Trump is absolutely dominating the Republicans at 33%

http://www.oann.com/pollaz/

Yet another poll with Scott Walker under 5%.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Nevermind that when he "singlehandedly" ( :ssh: Dems weren't acting in good faith!) killed Medicare-at-55 he faced not even a phonecall from Obama, much less any arm-twisting by the Dem caucus. Also nevermind that Lieberman was simply playing the role of rotating villain, which charade allows the Dems to never have nice things that the lobbyists who fund them, like AHIP, expressly don't want..

Honestly, I've never seen a bigger bunch of crybabies as Dems under this administration. The Audacity of Hope, what?

Blast from the Past! Willa Rogers! Griping about health care! 2010 is here again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary's campaign set it up so that if you text INSULT to 47246 it plays a clip of Jeb! talking about anchor babies.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Joementum posted:

Hillary's campaign set it up so that if you text INSULT to 47246 it plays a clip of Jeb! talking about anchor babies.

I can't tell if that's a joke or if it's actually the sort of obtuse means Hillary would use to connect with voters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think getting Democrats elected, then hounding them with primary threats if they sell out (or, if we're going to be gracious for the transition period, if they sell out to people outside of their districts) is a solid plan, really.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Xenophon posted:

It's a roundabout way of saying that he supports birth citizenship, except for undesirable people. Wants it to be set up where the government can decide on case by case basis who actually deserves their birth right citizenship.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Probad posted:

I can't tell if that's a joke or if it's actually the sort of obtuse means Hillary would use to connect with voters.

It's certainly not a way for her campaign to harvest cell phone number to call back for donations.

Definitely not.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Probad posted:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It took me a second.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “You know, a lot of the gangs that you see — this doesn’t hopefully pertain to you guys so much — when you look at Baltimore, when you look at Chicago, and Ferguson a lot of these areas. You know, a lot of these gang members are illegal immigrants. They’re gonna be gone. We’re gonna get them out so fast, out of this country. So fast.” ~ Donald Trump, turning the subtext into the text.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Yes. The Democrats are going to nominate the loving HUD Secretary for President in 2016. because they're complete loving idiots

My condolences for your inability to read or understand what the words "comedy option" mean.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mitt Romney posted:

It's a roundabout way of saying that he supports birth citizenship, except for undesirable people. Wants it to be set up where the government can decide on case by case basis who actually deserves their birth right citizenship.

Nah, he just can't come out and publicly advocate ripping American babies from their filthy foreign mothers' arms. Cut the anchor, and let the swelling tide of popular opinion sweep that ship away.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “You know, a lot of the gangs that you see — this doesn’t hopefully pertain to you guys so much — when you look at Baltimore, when you look at Chicago, and Ferguson a lot of these areas. You know, a lot of these gang members are illegal immigrants. They’re gonna be gone. We’re gonna get them out so fast, out of this country. So fast.” ~ Donald Trump, turning the subtext into the text.

Soon he's going to be talking about how illegal immigrants run the international banking cabal. :godwin:

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Have people seen this yet?

From Talking Points Memo

quote:

An overwhelming majority of Wisconsin voters are unhappy with Gov. Scott Walker's decision to run for President, according to a Marquette Law School poll released Thursday.

Nearly two-thirds of Wisconsin voters, 63 percent, said they did not like Walker's decision to run, the survey found.

In addition, the poll found, Walker's support for his presidential run among GOP primary voters in Wisconsin has nose-dived from earlier this year. He still leads the other 16 Republican rivals, but the latest poll showed he had 25 percent support, compared with 40 percent before he entered the race.

Here's the link to the poll

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tricky D posted:

Soon he's going to be talking about how illegal immigrants run the international banking cabal. :godwin:

How else could Mexico take the job of world's richest man away from an American?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I've been telling you guys this exact thing for months now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Why on earth is a law school running a poll?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Even low-info Wisconsinites are realizing that everything Walker has done for the past four years and a half was all calculated to angle himself towards the presidency and that the reason he's been traveling all over the country for the past two years isn't to help Wisconsin it was only to help himself and people are pissed about it

I mean all the politics nerds realized this back in 2010, 2011, but it takes time for this stuff to filter down (and it helps that the progressives in Madison have been screaming about it nonstop for years and they're being proven right with incontrovertible evidence)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Even low-info Wisconsinites are realizing that everything Walker has done for the past four years and a half was all calculated to angle himself towards the presidency and that the reason he's been traveling all over the country for the past two years isn't to help Wisconsin it was only to help himself and people are pissed about it

How do you think New Yorkers feel about Hillary as their former Senator

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

EugeneJ posted:

How do you think New Yorkers feel about Hillary as their former Senator

I don't live in New York and I only know a few people from/in NY, so I couldn't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

I don't live in New York and I only know a few people from/in NY, so I couldn't say

Hint: She promised 100,000 new jobs for Upstate New York before she took office. During her 8 years as Senator the state *lost* jobs.

She didn't do poo poo.

• Locked thread