Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Calling someone dumb doesn't really excuse the developers for not giving you the dodge right out of the box since you can't parry certain enemies/attacks.

Calling it "Offensive Defense" instead of "Dodge" doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would rather get moves through game progression than having to buy them from the shop. Shops are a dumb place for core game mechanics.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Does someone have a link to the web page/big picture that goes in depth to describe the fundamentals of W101? I thought I saved it, but I can't find it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edit is not quote.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Andrast posted:

Dumb people play a lot of games and many game reviewers are also loving dumb.

Explaining some game mechanics better and thing like not putting essential moves in the shop would probably help the reviews of many Platinum games.

Most people in general are dumb.

gently caress them

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

greatn posted:

I would rather get moves through game progression than having to buy them from the shop. Shops are a dumb place for core game mechanics.

Was it this one?:

Saur's breakdown videos are also an invaluable resource: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwWQGfD4d7H_r3hkL6xsJRbQK_R5Du0y

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Was it this one?:

Yes! Thanks. Trying to decide whether to play W101 or MGR.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the truth posted:

Both.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I personally prefer MGR above all other Platinum games but play both.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I own both. I am just trying to decide which to play first.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bayonetta 2 and W101 aren't even the best Platinum games

it's Revengeance

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the truth posted:

Both at the same time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

greatn posted:

It's to teach you that your score (in a stylish action game) is actually important and necessary for things. The better you get, the faster you can unlock things

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

the truth posted:

I'd say MGR should go first, it's good for really getting the hang of other Platinum games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

the truth posted:

It's good to play Platinum games in the order of release since they like to reference each other so go Rising.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rising's also about 5 times shorter than W101

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Andrast posted:

Both at the same time.

But the console only accepts one disc? How do I get around this?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Waltzing Along posted:

W101 is funny in that it has rabid fans, but the general consensus doesn't view it nearly as highly:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/the-wonderful-101

it has a metascore of 80, and the userscore is almost exactly the same

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reminder: Dragon Age 2 has a metacritic score of 82.

That's how useless metacritic is at determining actual game quality.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Both at the same time.

illegal animal testing confirms this is a potentially life-threatening activity

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the truth posted:

play rising first. its easier and will help you get better at the basics, also its much shorter. w101 owns but its probably the least accessible of all of platinum's games so you'll want to be prepared going in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't say W101 is bad. I said it is not as good as the rabid fanbase believes. 78 on metacritic is about right. And that is the average of 75 critics. For reference Bayonetta 2 is 91. If W101 was as good as the fanbase thinks, it's average rating would be in the 90s, too.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Good" is not an objective measure, people really like it and it makes them happy, if it had two more Meta Critical Points nothing would change for anyone.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I didn't say W101 is bad. I said it is not as good as the rabid fanbase believes. 78 on metacritic is about right. And that is the average of 75 critics. For reference Bayonetta 2 is 91. If W101 was as good as the fanbase thinks, it's average rating would be in the 90s, too.

W101 is harder to learn and less approachable than Bayonetta 2. A game being hard to learn really doesn't work with most game reviewers.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I just think that the gameplay of W101 is just harder to grasp when reviewers only have a few hours to get a game reviewed. Bayonetta is a more accessible game, but that in and of itself doesn't make it better.

For what it's worth, I first got the W101 demo and didn't care for it at all. Then I played Bayo 1 (first Platinum game) and watched a video of somebody being good at W101 and it clicked so much better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

who gives a poo poo about review numbers

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

Probably Platinum (or their publishers), since those tend to affect sales.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

apparently platinum can get away with not caring about that since they keep getting contracted by more and more companies

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

And how many of those people post in this thread

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm actually Bobby Kotick

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ruggington posted:

I'm actually Bobby Kotick

hi

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Thank you for rescuing the industry, Bob.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

homeless snail posted:

And how many of those people post in this thread

Hideki Kamiya posts here.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Been playing TLoZ: Twilight Princess lately - to offset all my time spent on Splatoon - and I was wondering if I should invest in Skyward Sword. I know the talk about Wiimote controls, but what else should I know?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rexroom posted:

Been playing TLoZ: Twilight Princess lately - to offset all my time spent on Splatoon - and I was wondering if I should invest in Skyward Sword. I know the talk about Wiimote controls, but what else should I know?

Its a fun game. The controls work well unless you are either some baby who cant move your wrists or some moron who tries to actually pretend to sword fight. It actually sucks in terms of overworld and exploration, but is awesome in terms of dungeons, combat, and items. Rupees never stop being useful because of the usefulness of potions, as well as the need to upgrade and repair items.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 20, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rexroom posted:

The Navi-like helper is very annoying but otherwise it's a solid game. The dungeons and puzzles range from good to great, and while the overworld isn't exploration focused it's segmented into basically open air minidungeons to unlock each dungeon, which I liked.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with the controls is to avoid backswinging: just quickly move the remote in the direction you want to swing. Practice swinging to the left now... You'll probably move your hand slightly to the right first. If you do that while playing the game might register that as a right swing, which can really gently caress you up depending on the situation. Once I kept that in mind it was straightforward.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 21, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

If you want to quit playing skyward sword halfway through, don't worry, that's the normal reaction

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tender Bender posted:

The Navi-like helper is very annoying but otherwise it's a solid game. The dungeons and puzzles range from good to great, and while the overworld isn't exploration focused it's segmented into basically open air minidungeons to unlock each dungeon, which I liked.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with the controls is to avoid backswinging: just quickly move the remote in the direction you want to swing. Practice swinging to the left now... You'll probably move your hand slightly to the right first. If you do that while playing the game might register that as a right swing, which can really gently caress you up depending on the situation. Once I kept that in mind it was straightforward.

One of the better posts I've seen here on Skyward Sword. The game is a lot of fun but not perfect. It's much better than Twilight Princess.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The bug is the best Zelda item so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Motto posted:

haven't plenty of developers said that sales determine their final pay in many cases?

• Locked thread