Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

BIG NORTH posted:

More or less was wondering what day to day is like, which you probably can't go into great detail about. I'm supply right now and I am sick of the trade, just weighing options. The spec world looks appealing right now (AVN).

Uh, it depends on where you are, but if you're Pte-Cpl in 95% of the jobs you're essentially a librarian. You file poo poo, you burn DVD's for people, you find reports and email them to people. You ask the geo guys to print maps and then draw on them.

From MCpl the jobs start getting interesting, and Sgt and up you're eligible for cool postings in Embassies and poo poo. There are also jobs in specialty units which are amazingly cool but they're an extremely small portion of the trade and joining INT to do that stuff is like joining a police force because you want to be SWAT.

During wartime there were cooler jobs, but in peacetime it's a pretty boring trade. You won't typically do any analysis until you're MCpl or above. It isn't a bad trade but the junior ranks can be boring as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

A plan to increase the number of underequipped, underdressed, out-of-practice troops by 25%? That'll be accompanied by a corresponding boost to Veterans' Affairs too right?

Maybe this is part of Steve's plan to assist ailing students with their tuition fees?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

David Corbett posted:

The reserves are in the media today - this time, it's from a campaign promise to increase their size from 24,000 to 30,000 over the next four years.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

There was some noise in there about budgets for the reserves as well. Does anyone here have any comments about this?

After the publicity shoot it will go something like this: http://globalnews.ca/news/1041276/canadian-military-set-to-cancel-2-billion-order-for-armoured-vehicles/

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

David Corbett posted:

The reserves are in the media today - this time, it's from a campaign promise to increase their size from 24,000 to 30,000 over the next four years.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

There was some noise in there about budgets for the reserves as well. Does anyone here have any comments about this?

I sincerely doubt the ability of the reserves to even attract that many more people - not even taking into consideration training and equipping them.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

DrakeriderCa posted:

Uh, it depends on where you are, but if you're Pte-Cpl in 95% of the jobs you're essentially a librarian. You file poo poo, you burn DVD's for people, you find reports and email them to people. You ask the geo guys to print maps and then draw on them.

From MCpl the jobs start getting interesting, and Sgt and up you're eligible for cool postings in Embassies and poo poo. There are also jobs in specialty units which are amazingly cool but they're an extremely small portion of the trade and joining INT to do that stuff is like joining a police force because you want to be SWAT.

During wartime there were cooler jobs, but in peacetime it's a pretty boring trade. You won't typically do any analysis until you're MCpl or above. It isn't a bad trade but the junior ranks can be boring as poo poo.

Thanks for the info - appreciated.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

BIG NORTH posted:

Thanks for the info - appreciated.

No problem. There are good parts of it - it's purple, so you should be able to CT to Air Force or navy and avoid the lovely postings but still be able to put in for the same deployed positions if you want. And if you're a nerd like me it can be fun just hanging out and talking about nerdy military poo poo with other nerds. And it's obviously not very physically challenging, so if you're looking for a desk job I'd say INT is better than most other desk jobs.

It's just good to know that the vast majority of INT Ops will never put together a target package or interpret aerial photos of IED factories or most of the fun stuff. But if that's something you want to do you can always push hard for it. Out of all the guys/girls I worked with, there were a few that got to do Cool Guy jobs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What happened to that big plan to give Coyotes and Bisons to the Reserves to make Armoured Recce and Infantry somewhat capable?
I'm guessing the TAPV and CCV programs being cancelled means reg force is holding on to that equipment?

What a clusterfuck.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

What a clusterfuck.

Would-be new thread title if not for the fact that the current one will never not be valid.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ub posted:

Would-be new thread title if not for the fact that the current one will never not be valid.

It should really be Canadian ARMED Forces...and are we really making do anymore?

It's had a drat good run since I made this thread many many years ago.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Maybe 'Keeping up appearances when politically expedient to do so?'

Kind of a mouthful, tho.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I kinda like Canadian Armed Forces: Strong, Proud, Destitute.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Strong, Proud , Destitute.

You may want to tweak these a bit.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

stevobob posted:

What is it with the military and phantom shitters?

You mean like the guy who broke into our mod on our 3s, poo poo on the couch, put a bunch of pop bottles in the microwave, set it to an hour and a half and ran off?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

flakeloaf posted:

You mean like the guy who broke into our mod on our 3s, poo poo on the couch, put a bunch of pop bottles in the microwave, set it to an hour and a half and ran off?

Hahahahahaha

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

flakeloaf posted:

We had one who poo poo in our dryer and started it. This is after they pissed in our living room and tore up every single loving takeout menu in our building and paper bombed our entire main floor.

The French course really hated us

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DrakeriderCa posted:

Hahahahahaha

That's what we said too. The qualified MPs accidentally caught the guy when they detained him on suspicion of theft (he'd done that too), and when they asked why he thought he was in trouble the stupid bastard confessed to trashing our mod.

The dryer is way funnier but only because someone shut our microwave off before the pop bottles could explode.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So many forces.gc.ca emails in the Ashley Madison Leaks.

One Ashley Madison account for every five people in Ottawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzeWC3bdryo

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Frosted Flake posted:

So many forces.gc.ca emails in the Ashley Madison Leaks.

One Ashley Madison account for every five people in Ottawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzeWC3bdryo

Pretty safe bet they don't belong to any of the fat slugs at NDHQ! :v:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
About that recruiting drive thing, I went down to the recruiting center because I'm joining the reserves so the Canadian taxpayer can subsidize my education and it seems like the army is just not hiring. There are only 7 or 8 open trades right now including doctor, dentist and nurse. The recruiter kept telling this girl about how strict the standards had become ect.

Really night and day compared to when I first went at the end of Afghanistan, where everything was red and CFAT scores didn't matter. These fuckers want me to do a CFAT and medical again even though all my stuff should still be current. I just want to be a reservist I don't want to be mildly inconvenienced.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Pretty sure the reserves don't even do education reimbursement anymore. You'd get an okay job for night parades once a week I guess, but reserve infantry for example doing a 56-hour haul in the bush somewhere for ~$280 is pretty loving poo poo wages.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

They shouldn't be asking you to do a CFAT again, unless your scores were too low for eligibility in the trade you were interested in. More likely they'll have to book you in for a TSD - the psych test. We are aaaaaaalways looking to hire ACISS, Vehicle techs, etcetera. I can think of 7 trades alone that are hiring priority, maybe that's what you were being told? I mean, all combat arms trades as well have space, and lots of it, but if you walk into a recruiting office and say that you want to go wrench on planes, or that you've been accepted to Med school, be prepared to be enrolled in a hurry. As far as the med stuff goes, if you released, they will make you do a medical, as the MO doesn't give too shits about a release medical.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Lassitude posted:

Pretty sure the reserves don't even do education reimbursement anymore. You'd get an okay job for night parades once a week I guess, but reserve infantry for example doing a 56-hour haul in the bush somewhere for ~$280 is pretty loving poo poo wages.

ILP (individual learning plan) is back again, it was only gone for that one year (2012-2013 i think), but the brought it back.

also only join the infantry if you absolutely don't want anything to come out of you reserve experience (i.e. you got a career) and you just want to do infantry poo poo.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I'm a Combat Engineer who released in March after 5 years and frankly the recruiter I spoke with didn't really know much about prior service re-entry or however you'd like to call it. Supposed to meet a rep from 33 CER tomorrow to get more details. I don't really care about the money, I actually miss being a soldier and as a student I'll have way more spare time than I'm used to. Being in the reg force during peacetime is just horrible but I think the reserves will be fine. Unless reservists are actually as bad as we make them out to be.

I imagine lots of trades are hiring, it's just that the trades actually advertised are low compared to when I first got in. Doesn't matter to me, I'm dealing with 33 CER I was just interested in the state of recruiting right now. Off the top of my head the red trades on their job board were cook, EGS, Doctor, Dentist, whatever the gently caress they renamed Sig OP, Pilot, Naval Engineer and ED tech. They didn't have any pamplets and poo poo for the other trades which suprised me. They did have a bunch of computers so maybe they just walk people through a program now or something.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Most of the guys I know who went from Artillery into the reserves lost their minds.

The phrase "Amateur Hour" might have popped up.

e: Going from 777s, radars, LAVS, TLAVS, G-Wagons, spare parts... adequate training... to "Here's a couple of broken C3s and some Silverados, have fun!" Was too much for them.

Having said that, they'll probably make you a MCpl pretty quick.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 31, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Yeah, in most trades the Reserves aren't bad but Arty is the exception.

As a student you should remuster into whatever trade you want. You have the rare opportunity to be able to take all the trade courses. If you wanted infantry or INT (lol) or whatever, you could do it. Might as well get that sweet cross training.

But if you're already combat Eng I'd join reserve Eng. I think it's pretty reasonable - still decent Ex's, trainingC etc.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
This is the course that never ends, it goes on and on my friends...(35 trips left, 54 done).

Seeing people get cease-trained is the worst, first because you feel bad for them and secondly because you know how close that is for you. Stress level is about 70% day-to-day, spikes to 100% on test days.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

As a student you should remuster into whatever trade you want. You have the rare opportunity to be able to take all the trade courses. If you wanted infantry or INT (lol) or whatever, you could do it. Might as well get that sweet cross training.

But if you're already combat Eng I'd join reserve Eng. I think it's pretty reasonable - still decent Ex's, trainingC etc.

I've heard reserve eng is not terrible actually, and it always got the moto-boner going when we heard booms bigger than the guns go off from your explosives.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Infantry reserves were terrible. I taught a BMQ and BMQ-L and had to run the C7 tests for the other section commanders. The other ones (both reserve sergeants) had neglected to instruct their students to remove the magazine first on clearing.

Like everywhere, they have their smart and talented employees but no one gets good training a weekend a month and two hours every week.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

acumen posted:

Infantry reserves were terrible. I taught a BMQ and BMQ-L and had to run the C7 tests for the other section commanders. The other ones (both reserve sergeants) had neglected to instruct their students to remove the magazine first on clearing.

Like everywhere, they have their smart and talented employees but no one gets good training a weekend a month and two hours every week.

I've heard it's really hit or miss. Some units are well run and have high training standards and meaningful ex's. Some units are okay, and some units are total garbage with a CoC full of sycophants and lazy training staff. My local infantry unit was apparently on the lower end, but I still had a good time with them when we trained together.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Yup, its really hit or miss for infantry reserves. The tendency is for those who just happen to "be around" to get into leadership, so its all a matter of luck if the guy who is around is a shitpump, or if the guy who's around actually wants to instruct, train and lead some good training. It was really awesome from 2007-2011, cause tons of NCMs were around who had Afghan experience. Since then, all of those guys are either out or went to regforce.

I can only hope the demographic shift of retiring dinosaurs can help, but we'll see...

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

compressioncut posted:

This is the course that never ends, it goes on and on my friends...(35 trips left, 54 done).

Seeing people get cease-trained is the worst, first because you feel bad for them and secondly because you know how close that is for you. Stress level is about 70% day-to-day, spikes to 100% on test days.

I feel like you're getting it even worse being stuck in Portage la prairie... Not much to do to unwind from what I hear. How many people got cut?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frankie! posted:

I feel like you're getting it even worse being stuck in Portage la prairie... Not much to do to unwind from what I hear. How many people got cut?

No one on my course, but courses ahead of mine. And looking at numbers it's not all that common, which makes it more shocking when it happens. There have been two CTs from my flight since I arrived, and another flight had one last week.

The weather just sucks in Canada for flying training, no matter the time of year...

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm staying as a Sapper because I genuinely like the job and I'm good at it. I have no interest in doing another 3's course ours was a loving 5 month nightmare.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

acumen posted:

Every summer training cycle I've had to spend 2 weeks getting evaluated by Norms before they would sick me loose on recruits. I don't understand how something like that can slide. Was this one of those lovely weekend BMQs?

Also, hello from Ukraine! It's poo poo!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Samu posted:

I'm staying as a Sapper because I genuinely like the job and I'm good at it. I have no interest in doing another 3's course ours was a loving 5 month nightmare.

Haha well yeah but the Eng 3's are insane compared to everyone else. If I remustered, Cbt Eng would be at the top of my list. I have a lot of respect for you guys after my tour and I think your job can be really cool.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Barrakketh posted:

Every summer training cycle I've had to spend 2 weeks getting evaluated by Norms before they would sick me loose on recruits. I don't understand how something like that can slide. Was this one of those lovely weekend BMQs?

any rumours about future training rotos (and other trades?) to Ukraine?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Barrakketh posted:

This was a weekday BMQ coop for high school seniors. Our standards NCO was about an hour drive from the other unit so that may have contributed to it, although I think it's more because their platoon WO on the weekends was super chummy with them and at the same time an ancient dinosaur reservist WO. If he was capable of operating a computer I'm sure he would've posted on army.ca.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

Haha well yeah but the Eng 3's are insane compared to everyone else. If I remustered, Cbt Eng would be at the top of my list. I have a lot of respect for you guys after my tour and I think your job can be really cool.

The job is really cool, the downside is that you very rarely get to do it. Prepping charges and exploding poo poo is never not going to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Samu posted:

The job is really cool, the downside is that you very rarely get to do it. Prepping charges and exploding poo poo is never not going to be fun.

Like most trades, I guess

Infantry is mostly floor hockey and packing sleds

Intelligence is mostly inventorying the maps and D&D

Artillery is mostly shouting at each other across a table and bitching about not having training rounds

Nobody actually does their jobs in the army unless there's a war :shrug: