Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Look Under The Rock posted:

Y'all, after getting the emotional poo poo kicked out of me over the couple months following my leaving the theatre I used to work with, the biggest audition of my life just fell into my lap. I have six hours before meeting the director and I'm flipping out a little.

It's a cold read, kind of, but they sent me the script in advance, so I can check out the basic tone. I also need to write up my theatre resume, which is something I've never done before (because I've pretty much always auditioned for people who have done a dozen plays with me already).

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

You can do it! Exude confidence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know Jon Stewart retired from the Daily Show to play football, weird career choice

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I have a football question! If I'm from southwestern Connecticut which franchise should I support: Patriots, Giants, Jets, or even Bills because I guess they're a state over? I need an answer when asked over here in football-land.

Bills because it is the comedy option.

When people ask me what team I support I shrug and say "I guess the Bills?" And then laugh for hours.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I have a football question! If I'm from southwestern Connecticut which franchise should I support: Patriots, Giants, Jets, or even Bills because I guess they're a state over? I need an answer when asked over here in football-land.

The correct answer is the Red Wings.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

I didn't know Jon Stewart retired from the Daily Show to play football, weird career choice

I'm surprised he's not going to QB, he seemed really well received.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do you identify more with Boston or NYC? Giants or Pats definitely. You don't want to support the Jets or your interest will cave faster than the Bills in the Super Bowl.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BottleKnight posted:

Do you identify more with Boston or NYC? Giants or Pats definitely. You don't want to support the Jets or your interest will cave faster than the Bills in the Super Bowl.

Between those two cities I'm way more NYC. Yet I get the whole suburbanite New Englander thing pretty well since that is pretty much the theme of any life in Connecticut.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Stewart is a great running back but he gets injured once a season and misses like 4 games at least m

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Between those two cities I'm way more NYC. Yet I get the whole suburbanite New Englander thing pretty well since that is pretty much the theme of any life in Connecticut.

Have you considered trolling your neighbors be becoming an anti patriots fan?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think most people were generally baffled by my lack of interest in watching football games. Whenever an event happened centered around one, I was the one in the kitchen cooking stuff or snacks since I found that usually more entertaining. In France I've made up some fun stories to some of more gullible and less aware friends. Just general making up and fudging rules and team names and exaggerating the violence of the game for them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think most people were generally baffled by my lack of interest in watching football games. Whenever an event happened centered around one, I was the one in the kitchen cooking stuff or snacks since I found that usually more entertaining. In France I've made up some fun stories to some of more gullible and less aware friends. Just general making up and fudging rules and team names and exaggerating the violence of the game for them.

This makes me really, really happy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite one, that lasted all of 5 minutes thanks to smartphones, was when someone asked me "Who the Pats were?" using the word Pats, so I told them they were named after Patrick Swayze because their owner was a massive fan of the actor. This led to another explanation of who exactly Swayze was.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you say the Bills people will respect you

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you say the Bills people will respect you

My parents are huge bills fans.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Y'all, after getting the emotional poo poo kicked out of me over the couple months following my leaving the theatre I used to work with, the biggest audition of my life just fell into my lap. I have six hours before meeting the director and I'm flipping out a little.

It's a cold read, kind of, but they sent me the script in advance, so I can check out the basic tone. I also need to write up my theatre resume, which is something I've never done before (because I've pretty much always auditioned for people who have done a dozen plays with me already).

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

:dance:

You will be awesome and you will rock it and yaaaaaay! I'm really excited for you, dude :) You know your poo poo and you enjoy doing this, it'll be a piece of cake.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

windshipper posted:

:dance:

You will be awesome and you will rock it and yaaaaaay! I'm really excited for you, dude :) You know your poo poo and you enjoy doing this, it'll be a piece of cake.

I read the script. It's a Gothic murder and madness bodice ripping thriller, cold reading with an accent is not my forte :ohdear:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Probably the Mets.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I read the script. It's a Gothic murder and madness bodice ripping thriller, cold reading with an accent is not my forte :ohdear:

That is the worst. I'm generally a sound engineer, but for a film/web-serial-thing I was working on last year, I had to step in and act in a bit part with basically zero warning, and it was period, AND they wanted an accent that wasn't my natural New Jersey tone, or else they'd have to cut like three entire scenes. It sucked. Best of luck.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
only one more spot! oh em gee!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736881

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You'll have time to work on your accent I'm sure. I think if it's cold the main idea is to nail the tone of the piece which you seem to be clear on.

Aside: How many places does a thing have to known in to be called 'world-renowned'?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just one: a Hard Rock Cafe.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 27, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

I consider something world-renowned if people from 3 or more countries renown it. So like, I once made my couscous recipe for my sister who then made it again in Central Asia, and combined with you making it that one time I consider it world-renowned now.

As it should be. That reminds me I still have a load of dry couscous left. I should make it again. Or do you have other useful recipes for the stuff?

Well then I can't cut it just yet. I've had my black beans eaten by people from many different countries but only while in the US or France.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 27, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There's an Ethiopian restaurant near me that makes divine couscous

Because my city is dumb it's never busy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

You'll have to bring me when I'm in town.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wish I liked Ethiopian food. I should maybe try it again now that I'm somewhat more acclimatized to spicy food, but the stuff I got the time I tried it was insane.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I have never had what I'd call spicy Ethiopian.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Dear Cold: You were not supposed to get worse and make me sleep for 12 hours. Go away.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Signups for Left 4 Dead mafia, a role madness game for 16 players, are now open.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

My town had a new Indian place open about a year ago. It's the best Indian I've ever eaten, and I've surprisingly eaten it in quite a few places (in the US). It was never busy whenever we went there for months, and only around Spring this year was it starting to get a full house for every meal.

We're a town of like 90% chain restaurants though so I feel very very strongly about supporting quality local places because we just don't have that many for a big city.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
now I want indian for dinner f u bk

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

now I want indian for dinner f u bk

You're welcome, Ecco. Make sure to get some naan!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

You're welcome, Ecco. Make sure to get some naan!

duh what am I a barbarian

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
That went way better than I thought it would considering that it was an audition in a coffee shop and I was so nervous i didn't eat all day so my hands were shaking bad enough that I just about spilled my tea.

Now I'm off to see that movie I didn't get to see the other day.

Aside: I do all this arty stuff because I'm pretty good at it, I was doing better in my music theory class than the music majors were, and it's always hilarious when someone says "so you're a student, majoring in music/theatre/English, right?" and I get to say "nope I'm a biology major"

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I consider something world-renowned if people from 3 or more countries renown it. So like, I once made my couscous recipe for my sister who then made it again in Central Asia, and combined with you making it that one time I consider it world-renowned now.

By this definition I am also world renown because I have lived in and have friends in 3 different countries

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
any 49ers fans?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

any 49ers fans?

I am an anti-fan because I anti-love kaepernick.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I am an anti-fan because I anti-love kaepernick.

does this just mean you hate him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Name your favorite late 80s/early 90s rap song.

Mine is 'Humpty Dance' by Digital Underground. When I was in high school it was the only song I could remember the lyrics to without the music playing.