Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Twisted under heavy mount. I'm some ways it was good because I learned to stop doing that and it improved my game when I could again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So my newly single judo-obsessed friend came over on the weekend for dinner. She thought it would be a great idea to try and surprise me by jumping on my back and choke me when I was trying to eat. She also attempted to do kesa gatame on my girlfriend who was lying on the ground when we were trying to watch netflix. My girlfriend reversed this into a triangle choke and my friend moped about it for a bit. She also wanted to talk about judo the whole night and poo poo talked BJJ infront of my girlfriend who does BJJ.

My friend is now going to my girlfriend's BJJ club again and I am pretty sure she is going to get choked out.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm really happy for your friend who has found something in life to be passionate about that is also really good for her

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Rabhadh posted:

I'm really happy for your friend who has found something in life to be passionate about that is also really good for her

I am too. Since going to beauty pageants and cosplaying in China wasn't enough to be passionate about.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My friend is now going to my girlfriend's BJJ club again and I am pretty sure she is going to get choked out.

After reading your first paragraph, this made me smile.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
How attractive is the annoying judo girl? I need some context if this is going to be an ongoing storyline.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kekekela posted:

How attractive is the annoying judo girl? I need some context if this is going to be an ongoing storyline.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

t I was wondering if anyone could comment on their comparative effectiveness in fitness and muscle building.

I don't know anything about that specific style, but in general from what Ive seen and experienced, probably, definitely, not effective at all effective for muscle building. Maybe effective for balance and flexibly. Had a guy at my gym that did shaolin or some such and he was kinda a fat goon, but he was way more bendy and acrobatic than anyone ever would reasonably give him credit for.

On the balance kung fu is good if you wanna larp being a Chinese peasant in a kung fu movie.,

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Kekekela posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FGaBKf9NeLdWk5SU1UWUlsRlE/view?usp=sharing

Imgur is blocked at my work so I had to do it with my google drive.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Attractive enough, certainly. Seems like the whining type though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

So is this threesome gonna happen or not?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I had my first session of karate yesterday and it was really awesome. The atmosphere was really positive and I can't wait to go back.

So I've got a question about working out. How do you factor martial arts days into your exercise routine? Do you count them as cardio days, or are they the whipped cream on top of your usual regimen, counting as their own separate thing?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Attractive enough, certainly. Seems like the whining type though.

She is basically a walking tumblr blog of first world problems.

VulgarandStupid posted:

No. I am hoping someone will gently caress the dumb out of her since she macking people at both the Judo and BJJ club. And by people, I mean both men and women.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

She is basically a walking tumblr blog of first world problems.

No. I am hoping someone will gently caress the dumb out of her since she macking people at both the Judo and BJJ club. And by people, I mean both men and women.

WHoa

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Well there's no way that could possibly go wrong...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Cute cosplaying beauty pageant girl sounds like a time bomb for any martial arts gym.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Lloyd Irvin is less creepy than this derail.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No one will ever be more creepy than Lloyd Irvin

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I am hoping someone will gently caress the dumb out of her

:captainpop:

wowzerss

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Cephas posted:

I had my first session of karate yesterday and it was really awesome. The atmosphere was really positive and I can't wait to go back.

So I've got a question about working out. How do you factor martial arts days into your exercise routine? Do you count them as cardio days, or are they the whipped cream on top of your usual regimen, counting as their own separate thing?

It's going to depend on the style/dojo. For my shotokan class it was more of a balance/flexibility/mental thing than either cardio or muscley. I mean, we had cardio days and ab days and poo poo but usually not terribly often. Tourney prep level sparring could be cardio, but usually when I gassed at tourneys it was because of tension and adrenaline exhaustion. Or I took three opponents to time, one of them to over time.

I mean it's great, definitely kicked me from an awkward spastic teenager into a coordinated adult, but pretty supplemental. I think it helped me keep off the freshman 15 but so did walking. By the time my metabolism leveled out and I stopped growing I definitely needed to run and lift in addition. Anyway. If you run or spar a bunch and feel tired, call it a cardio. If not do some jogging or whatever before you shower.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

KildarX posted:

I don't know anything about that specific style, but in general from what Ive seen and experienced, probably, definitely, not effective at all effective for muscle building. Maybe effective for balance and flexibly. Had a guy at my gym that did shaolin or some such and he was kinda a fat goon, but he was way more bendy and acrobatic than anyone ever would reasonably give him credit for.

On the balance kung fu is good if you wanna larp being a Chinese peasant in a kung fu movie.,

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I thought that that might be the case, but Shaolin Kung Fu just sounded cool. Looks like KB&MT is the way to go

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The way WAGG talks about his friend is pretty stinkin imo

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am enjoying the hell out of this derail tbh, it's like a bunch of different problem-student-stereotypes rolled into one

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

The way WAGG talks about his friend is pretty stinkin imo

Thuggish if you ask me...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

There must always be one.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for sharing rib injury stories - I've elected to take another week off and re-assess on Monday. Would rather avoid a nagging chronic injury.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

hi liter posted:

Thanks for sharing rib injury stories - I've elected to take another week off and re-assess on Monday. Would rather avoid a nagging chronic injury.

That's a good choice. I would say once you can do normal exercise pain free, you're good on returning to the gym. I've seen dudes that couldn't jog a block without doubling over try to train. Dumb

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Here's some guard passing techniques we should all be made aware of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rcOjrjqM4

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nierbo posted:

I don't know what's worse, his horrible technique on actual BJJ passes and calling it aikido or the fact that he is wearing glasses while grappling.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

how to defeat a corpse in hand to hand combat

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

how to defeat a corpse in hand to hand combat

This is harsh. Those techniques would also work against an infant, or someone with cerebral palsy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VulgarandStupid posted:

I assure you, it's already worked itself out in Novum's fanfics.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Nierbo posted:

Thank you; you have made my Thursday significantly more enjoyable!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

"Pinch his thigh to break his guard. Works every time!"

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Speaking of pinching, here's Draucolino addressing the Ball Grabbing guard break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZKZsqWdFw

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Keg posted:

Speaking of pinching, here's Draucolino addressing the Ball Grabbing guard break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZKZsqWdFw

That guy funny.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Had the first bjj of my life a day before and I really haven't realized how different it is from judo and sambo. Judo now is basically greco-roman jacket wrestling with pins and occasional chokes and armbars while sambo is freestlyle-wrestling with jackets and leg locks, also being more submission-oriented than judo.

Bjj really is a whole different beast, it basically is rear end-fighting, how to defeat opponents by sitting on your rear end. I thought with 8 years of judo experience and some sambo competitions under my belt it wouldn't be that much different, but I sure was wrong. It feels good to be a true beginner again and learn new stuff and a new way of thinking things. Tapped a zillion times and had a blast. Judo is becoming so limited that you basically have to practice other forms of grappling to be really good and a well-rounded fighter. I'm happy to have found a new palce to learn.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Those pins were amazing, can't wait to beat everyone at judo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

With the sambo background you should go for people's legs and watch the fear and tears. Assuming it's all cool and they know you aren't doing YouTube-itsu.

I really wish there was sambo near me. I want to learn leg locks but it's hard to gst instruction plus reps.

Fatherdog and other leglockers are there any recommend videos books or tutorials that point out the finer points of leg attacks you would recommend? In a demonstration I can do knee bar heel hook straight ankle but I struggle in recognizing and executing transitions. Plus little details for finishing. Especially heel hooks and toe holds because I'm scared.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 22, 2015

• Locked thread