Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like it's time to start the Season 3 Hype Train! This time, Elizabeth Henstridge is getting the ball rolling with interviews about Jemma's fate.

:siren: BOTH ARTICLES MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! AVOID THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS! :siren:

Interview 1

Interview 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Phylodox posted:

It is.

In Norway!

Time to dust off the VPN.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

See now, this is better than succumbing to acute fandomitis, isn't it? :unsmith:

If Brett Dalton could tweet a Dubsmash about not shooting a dog that'd work out for all of us

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tweet him, he'll be all over it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If Brett Dalton could tweet a Dubsmash about not shooting a dog that'd work out for all of us

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If Brett Dalton could tweet a Dubsmash about not shooting a dog killing Buddy that'd work out for all of us

I will allow it.

Kheldarn posted:

Looks like it's time to start the Season 3 Hype Train! This time, Elizabeth Henstridge is getting the ball rolling with interviews about Jemma's fate.

:siren: BOTH ARTICLES MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! AVOID THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS! :siren:

Interview 1

Interview 2

Not enough dubby-step. The fandom has spoken. :colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, updates for both Agent Carter and AoS.

1. Skye is gone, long live Daisy! Also, Coulson will be more in the field apparently, less of being in the office. Which is good, more Clark Gregg is always good.

2. Agent Carter has announced the big bad for season 2: Madame Masque

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

2. Agent Carter has announced the big bad for season 2: Madame Masque

Reading that, I had a :stare: moment... My first thought, while reading the quote from Tara Butters, was Dottie would become Masque. But then she said "actress", and that could also mean Angie. Of course, at the end of the article, it says neither actress is signed on for S2, though they're working on deals involving the characters. Then again, they also aren't saying who the Masque actress is, just that she's been cast, so it could be either one of them, and the "working out a deal to bring back Dottie and/or Angie" could be a cover.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm excited for them to be fighting evil Hedy Lamarr; between her being a beauty who ends up wearing an iron mask and her scientific genius, I'm really hoping she basically becomes the MCU Doctor Doom.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Argue posted:

I'm excited for them to be fighting evil Hedy Lamarr; between her being a beauty who ends up wearing an iron mask and her scientific genius, I'm really hoping she basically becomes the MCU Doctor Doom.

[ "That's Headley"

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Argue posted:

Would probably be better than any Doom from the Fantastic Four movies.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

imperialparadox posted:

Would probably be better than any Doom from the Fantastic Four movies.

A bar so low Antman could walk over it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Argue posted:

This was a comparison made by Tony Stark once and he immediately regretted it (because it got really awkward with his Illuminati buddies).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

[ "That's Headley"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

[ "That's Headley"

THAT'S NOT HER NAME!!!

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

THAT'S NOT HER NAME!!!

I'm surprised Chloe Bennett hasn't done a dubsmash of "Say My Name".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, Bear McCreary's soundtrack for this show is never getting released, is it? :(

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Mockingbird spin-off is (potentially) back on as "Marvel’s Most Wanted":

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/marvel-mockingbird-spinoff-series-most-wanted-adrianne-palicki-nick-blood-abc-1201574713/

Getting at least a pilot order.

I'm wondering if the Inhumans and Secret Warriors angle is taking on a substantial enough role that there's more growth opportunities for this part of the universe. Agents of Shield will keep with that, while Mockingbird and Hunter are more free to do their romantic dramedy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Teek posted:

I'm wondering if the Inhumans and Secret Warriors angle is taking on a substantial enough role that there's more growth opportunities for this part of the universe. Agents of Shield will keep with that, while Mockingbird and Hunter are more free to do their romantic dramedy.

Agents of M.O.O.N.L.I.G.H.T.I.N.G.

Good luck with that acronym.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Teek posted:

Mockingbird spin-off is (potentially) back on as "Marvel’s Most Wanted":

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/marvel-mockingbird-spinoff-series-most-wanted-adrianne-palicki-nick-blood-abc-1201574713/

Getting at least a pilot order.

You know... people have been suggesting a playful Hawkguy TV show for quite some time now, and that was never really in the cards - and even less so now that he's a family man re:Age of Ultron.

But maybe a more fun, playful approach where you take the classic "Hawkeye & Mockingbird" theme and retooled it into Mockingbird & Hunter could actually work really well and be a good companion piece that doesn't step on AoS's toes too much. Especially as a light summer show/mid-season replacement.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, have Agent Carter as the Holiday show and Mockingbird and Hunter as the summer one. And it would be better to watch them work on a single 10 episode story arc involving a single Mystery, rather than a full season that has a metaplot but also monster of the week stuff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Well now that Phase 2 is over, I am hoping the TV stuff will feature a bit more heavily into Phase 3 movies. Hell, even having them have minor roles would be cool and good and it wouldn't be hard to catch up the non-viewers if done properly.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kind of taking a stab in the dark here, but a spinoff that is not a spinoff...

Maybe it's a sort of crossover/limited series, where the two characters have to go off Shield's radar for a mission while Shield is trying to find them. It might be like having the same show on two nights a week, except one focuses a bit more on one team than the other.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ashpanash posted:

Maybe it's a sort of crossover/limited series, where the two characters have to go off Shield's radar for a mission while Shield is trying to find them. It might be like having the same show on two nights a week, except one focuses a bit more on one team than the other.

I was hoping that version of the show would be Agents of W.A.R.D.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

I was hoping that version of the show would be Agents of W.A.R.D.

Crazy Ward recruits his own batch of marginally powered people (razor fingers makes a comeback), calls them... I dunno, hidden combatants... They run around doing hero stuff but constantly let Ward down which makes him so :smith:. Ward is accused of being evil.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

swickles posted:

Well now that Phase 2 is over, I am hoping the TV stuff will feature a bit more heavily into Phase 3 movies. Hell, even having them have minor roles would be cool and good and it wouldn't be hard to catch up the non-viewers if done properly.

I watched a crappy shaky cam recording of the Civil War teaser on youtube, and a voiceover said 'Coulson is head of SHIELD, where does that leave you?' So I guess he's acknowledged, which is an improvement.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I watched a crappy shaky cam recording of the Civil War teaser on youtube, and a voiceover said 'Coulson is head of SHIELD, where does that leave you?' So I guess he's acknowledged, which is an improvement.

I would be absolutely floored if that happened. While SHIELD has gotten much better than the first season it is still the bastard stepchild of the MCU. There's a reason that you rarely see TV actors in film and even more rare to find an actor who started out on TV to transition successfully to film. Seeing RDJ flying around blowing poo poo up costs me at least $20 to see in a theater. Seeing Ming Na beat the poo poo out of people doesn't. Its like bringing Natty Lite to a wine tasting. It just drags the whole thing down. Its one of the problems I think MoS had. All kinds of familiar faces but 90% of those are TV faces and thus my lizard brain doesn't associate the faces with the willingness to fork over $20 for 2.5 hours of entertainment.

Henry Cavil started out in TV and The Tudors was his platform to step into movies which it appears he has successfully done. Lawrence Fishburne started out in film but in the last 10 years or so switched over to TV like CSI and Hannibal. Chris Meloni is an amazing actor but his time on SVU forever tied his face to Det. Stabler. I suspect DC/WB has realized this and made sure they got film faces for everything else. Two notable exceptions to this are Jai Courtney who seems like the only Spartacus alumni who didn't end up on The CW but instead landed a bonafide film career. Whether or not that's good or bad is debatable. Jason Momoa as Aquaman seems like a bit of a risk but GoT may have done for him what The Tudors did for Henry Cavil. I suspect his days on TV are over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What about Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Freeman was doing shorts and TV as recently as 2011 but thats changing since The Hobbit. Cumberbach is in something of a weird position but they're both predominately British actors so their TV work doesn't have nearly as much exposure to American audiences as Chris Meloni or Ming Na so the effect is far less pronounced. They can go back home and continue to do TV work without irritating the shot callers who produce Hollywood features. Too much anyway. Since Hollywood supplies 99% of all films Americans watch, as long as they aren't doing TV in America it is much less of an issue.

A good example of this is Japan where American celebrities of all levels of fame end up doing commercials for beer money. Also Lost in Translation is an amazing movie and if you haven't seen it you should do so. Especially if you've lived in or are familiar with the culture. That movie got so many things about Japan right its easily one of my favorite movies.

edit:

bobkatt013 posted:

Sherlock is still on the air and hugely popular.

On PBS. I'd also argue that given the nature of how Sherlock films, only 3 "episodes" but each is feature length puts it closer to being a feature than more traditional American TV. The rise of streaming content has significantly blurred lines but we're still a ways off from a full transition to streaming.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 21, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Freeman was doing shorts and TV as recently as 2011 but thats changing since The Hobbit. Cumberbach is in something of a weird position but they're both predominately British actors so their TV work doesn't have nearly as much exposure to American audiences as Chris Meloni or Ming Na so the effect is far less pronounced.

Sherlock is still on the air and hugely popular.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Sherlock's format of three, almost movie-length episodes per season also does a lot to make it seem less like just another TV series that you tune in to weekly.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

ashpanash posted:

How is that not a spinoff?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Actually reading THR just now that U.N.C.L.E. was an utter catastrophe. Cavill is probably drat lucky he landed Superman.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Freeman was doing shorts and TV as recently as 2011 but thats changing since The Hobbit

Freeman was doing TV as recently as 2014 when he was the star of Fargo.

Zachary Quinto is also someone you can point at who seems to spend just as much time in the theaters as on TV.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 21, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I feel the opposite. I think it's great they said that line, and I have no problems seeing TV people in movies. Doubly so if they're doing the same TV role.

Then again, the MCU movies are the only movies I go see in the theater, so :shrug:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

How is that not a spinoff?

The idea would be that after the limited run, they would return to the show proper. Then other stories or characters could do similar limited runs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Over the past decade TV's gotten a lot more respectable (and/or high-paying) for actors so there's less of a divide than there once was.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bryan Cranston is everywhere. He laughs at your antiquated notions of film and television. All media is just a vessel for him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I would be absolutely floored if that happened. While SHIELD has gotten much better than the first season it is still the bastard stepchild of the MCU. There's a reason that you rarely see TV actors in film and even more rare to find an actor who started out on TV to transition successfully to film. Seeing RDJ flying around blowing poo poo up costs me at least $20 to see in a theater. Seeing Ming Na beat the poo poo out of people doesn't. Its like bringing Natty Lite to a wine tasting. It just drags the whole thing down. Its one of the problems I think MoS had. All kinds of familiar faces but 90% of those are TV faces and thus my lizard brain doesn't associate the faces with the willingness to fork over $20 for 2.5 hours of entertainment.

Henry Cavil started out in TV and The Tudors was his platform to step into movies which it appears he has successfully done. Lawrence Fishburne started out in film but in the last 10 years or so switched over to TV like CSI and Hannibal. Chris Meloni is an amazing actor but his time on SVU forever tied his face to Det. Stabler. I suspect DC/WB has realized this and made sure they got film faces for everything else. Two notable exceptions to this are Jai Courtney who seems like the only Spartacus alumni who didn't end up on The CW but instead landed a bonafide film career. Whether or not that's good or bad is debatable. Jason Momoa as Aquaman seems like a bit of a risk but GoT may have done for him what The Tudors did for Henry Cavil. I suspect his days on TV are over.

This is absolute nonsense and you're confusing your opinion with reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pander posted:

This is absolute nonsense and you're confusing your opinion with reality.

He's not wrong? :shrug:

• Locked thread