Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there a list of all the various dialogues at the end when your 3 party members show up behind and basically go "uh, she's the only female left, what did you expect?" and then you have to fight them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

Is there a list of all the various dialogues at the end when your 3 party members show up behind and basically go "uh, she's the only female left, what did you expect?" and then you have to fight them

This good?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
My main party was Buckets, Nern, and pre-nerf Fly (he was seriously insanely good, I dunno how he's like post-nerf.). And I am definitely looking forward to the next LISA installment. Also that video of the actual Dev in action, that's legit awesome and amazing.

Also looking at the big board of names in the trailer, notice how Hernandez has the first name painted over rather than crossed out like the others. Seems to imply that you have two more Hernandez's to kill at minimum. Man, 12 days, this is going to be hell.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Somehow Nern's hits the hardest.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Geese and Roger are both pretty good. Roger is the only one who admits that they don't know whats best, and Geese even suggests that if you really want to do this, then wait.

I brought Rage, Olan, and Ollie with me. Ollie is a sad silly drunk to the very end and Rage hit me outta nowhere.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

upon replaying the game ive discovered that my deadliest enemy is the bike because I keep cycling off cliffs :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Geese's made me really sad when I played. Its gets even more hosed up when you read his bio and then realize a psychotic serial killer is pitying Brad.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Post-nerf Fly is still capable of locking down the bonus boss on Pain Mode without much danger.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Agean90 posted:

upon replaying the game ive discovered that my deadliest enemy is the bike because I keep cycling off cliffs :negative:

this is even more frustrating on pain mode when you're just backtracking somewhere to collect something stupid you missed and you're not paying attention and you screen transition and immediately ride off a cliff. hope you saved recently!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
People told me this game isn't hard, but they've got to be save-abusing. Instant kill enemies alone will thin your party out pretty quick if you fail at locking them down on turn 1.

Also, I wish I knew that Buckets was a Joy-head before I burned a handful of dudes on Russian Roulette trying to get him.

Area 3 is a real ball-breaker so far.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 20, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Anonymous Robot posted:

People told me this game is hard, but they've got to be save-abusing. Instant kill enemies alone will thin your party out pretty quick if you fail at locking them down on turn 1.

Also, I wish I knew that Buckets was a Joy-head before I burned a handful of dudes on Russian Roulette trying to get him.

Area 3 is a real ball-breaker so far.

You might just have really weird, bad luck. I went through the game in Normal mode and made it most of the way before I even found out certain enemies could perma-kill party members (if I remember correctly, a mutant bit one of my dudes' heads off). The game was certainly challenging but it seemed like the hardest things were 1. Avoiding cycling off of cliffs and, 2. Figuring out where the gently caress I had to go next.

Re-did it on PAIN mode and it was basically the same thing: A handful of enemies (like Mutant Hawk Hollywood) will definitely perma-gently caress your team if you let them (and a couple of bosses like Satan are particularly notorious), but a vast majority of the opponents who have the capability are still coded to use the permadeath attacks only very rarely.

Speaking of save-abusing, I had a friend who thought you had to seriously grind in LISA like it was a JRPG. I don't know if enemies can automatically level up to you or if they even "soft level", but he said he tacked on 10-15 levels just fighting enemies in the few areas they would actually respawn. Man, if anything, this is one of the few RPGs where grinding is virtually pointless.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of save-abusing, I had a friend who thought you had to seriously grind in LISA like it was a JRPG. I don't know if enemies can automatically level up to you or if they even "soft level", but he said he tacked on 10-15 levels just fighting enemies in the few areas they would actually respawn. Man, if anything, this is one of the few RPGs where grinding is virtually pointless.

I seriously can't imagine doing that. I guess it wouldn't be so bad at the wrestling area, but I get the feeling that your buddy there probably started grinding long before that. :v:
And yeah, perma-kill attacks were pretty infrequent in my experience. Enough so that I wasn't quite so save-scummy when that happened. Well, unless it was someone I liked. (noooo, not goony cat samurai dude!)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I was hit by a single permakill attack in my whole playthrough

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Satan chopped Birdie's head off, once. I nearly savescummed him back, since my entire strategy revolved around the Birdie + Terry combo, but since I was already fighting the hardest boss I powered through.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ezzer posted:

Satan chopped Birdie's head off, once. I nearly savescummed him back, since my entire strategy revolved around the Birdie + Terry combo, but since I was already fighting the hardest boss I powered through.

you made the right choice here and i appreciate it

the whole game is about how loss is unavoidable, and the instakill attacks serve to reinforce that. i can't actually think of a time where i even had a party member hit 0 hp, so if it weren't for the instakill moves i don't think you could fail this game

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Beat the game today. Few things I didn't pick up on:

What was Dr. Yado's plan, exactly? Just bring about the end of civilization via mutants? Why does Buzzo have such a vendetta against Brad? It appears to be retribution for Brad having neglected Lisa and contributed to her suicide, but I guess it's just weird that there's never an explicit connection drawn between Buzzo and Lisa, or even Buzzo and Brad. And what happened to all the women? The game implies that people dosed with Joy killed them? But it also seems like Joy use and Joy mutation are a relatively recent development.

You guys are bizarrely lucky if you never got hit by an instakill. I lost at least four party members to 'em.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 20, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Is it just me, or does Satan not perma-kill anyone if you don't heal?

I remember going through that battle without healing at all, and he never perma-killed anyone.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Who uses submachine guns, anyways? I had some rad looking ones but nobody could ever wield them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Variant_Eris posted:

Is it just me, or does Satan not perma-kill anyone if you don't heal?

I remember going through that battle without healing at all, and he never perma-killed anyone.

It's just random, I think. I've rarely ever seen him use the insta-kill in my multiple playthroughs.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anonymous Robot posted:

Who uses submachine guns, anyways? I had some rad looking ones but nobody could ever wield them.

You miss out on everybody that uses SMGs and knives if you don't find the fishmen.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Anonymous Robot posted:

Beat the game today. Few things I didn't pick up on:

What was Dr. Yado's plan, exactly? Just bring about the end of civilization via mutants? Why does Buzzo have such a vendetta against Brad? And what happened to all the women? The game implies that people dosed with Joy killed them? But it also seems like Joy use and Joy mutation are a relatively recent development.

You guys are bizarrely lucky if you never got hit by an instakill. I lost at least four party members to 'em.

all of this stuff is either not answered at all, or is vaguely alluded to but never directly stated.

buzzo hates brad because lisa killed herself. that's as much as you can gather based on all the information available.

as far as what happened to the women there's a line by buzzo right after the final time where he tried to hack one of brad's arms off where buzzo says (referencing buddy) something like "she would have done great with the women". there's no further exposition than that, but it does imply that maybe the world isn't quite the same everywhere.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

homeless poster posted:

all of this stuff is either not answered at all, or is vaguely alluded to but never directly stated.

buzzo hates brad because lisa killed herself. that's as much as you can gather based on all the information available.

as far as what happened to the women there's a line by buzzo right after the final time where he tried to hack one of brad's arms off where buzzo says (referencing buddy) something like "she would have done great with the women". there's no further exposition than that, but it does imply that maybe the world isn't quite the same everywhere.

Thinking a little more about it:

Nern talks a little bit about the "white flash", but doesn't mention his wife being missing or anything like that. Nern is a piece of poo poo though and talks around the point of everything. Regarding the Buzzo line, and the fact that it's heavily suggested that Joy users are homicidal against women, it is possible that the surviving women were forcibly separated from the Joy users and taken somewhere safer. How many people are actually affected by Joy is highly unclear in the story. In my own playthrough, it's certain that Brad, Buckets, Queeny, and Tiger Man are all Joy addicts, but other party members do not appear to be. Exposure and addiction might be different things, if the world-altering event was in fact Joy related.

But that's all speculative world-bulding stuff, and not very important. What we can surmise thematically from all that is the following: obviously, masculinity and gender constructions are a central theme in Lisa. It appears that Joy mutants have a central driving motive, related to their innermost desire, that they wish to carry out- obviously perversely influenced by their chemical derangement- at which point they become dormant and harmless. With few exceptions seen in the game- such as with Jonathan- that drive is to murder women. It seems like Brad, in the darkness of his heart, is the same as Marty. Even worse, because his misguided nobility, his desire to protect Buddy, is bound up with a grotesque possessiveness, the feeling that she 'owes' him sex (the credits read 'she's yours, taste her'), and when he is driven to the brink, despite his damnedest of efforts, he attempts to repeat Marty's abuses. Pretty loving bleak.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 20, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
What me and friend were thinking was that, Yado used Brad's town as his testing ground to create Joy Super Soldiers to sell to the highest bidder. In the Joyless Ending Yado mentions that he has investors and he appears in the very beginning of the game during the flashback saying that Brad's town is "perfect." So Brad's town and the surrounding area got quarantined off from the rest of the world but Yado's plans are failing because he still can't make Joy Mutants not be uncontrollable monsters so he can't sell them to militaries, terrorists, or whatever. Also the few hints that the women aren't dead but taken away from the area. There's enough evidence for all that, but we'll find out soon enough.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thinking a little more about it:

Nern talks a little bit about the "white flash", but doesn't mention his wife being missing or anything like that. Nern is a piece of poo poo though and talks around the point of everything. Regarding the Buzzo line, and the fact that it's heavily suggested that Joy users are homicidal against women, it is possible that the surviving women were forcibly separated from the Joy users and taken somewhere safer. How many people are actually affected by Joy is highly unclear in the story. In my own playthrough, it's certain that Brad, Buckets, Queeny, and Tiger Man are all Joy addicts, but other party members do not appear to be. Exposure and addiction might be different things, if the world-altering event was in fact Joy related.

But that's all speculative world-bulding stuff, and not very important. What we can surmise thematically from all that is the following: obviously, masculinity and gender constructions are a central theme in Lisa. It appears that Joy mutants have a central driving motive, related to their innermost desire, that they wish to carry out- obviously perversely influenced by their chemical derangement- at which point they become dormant and harmless. With few exceptions seen in the game- such as with Jonathan- that drive is to murder women. It seems like Brad, in the darkness of his heart, is the same as Marty. Even worse, because his misguided nobility, his desire to protect Buddy, is bound up with a grotesque possessiveness, the feeling that she 'owes' him sex (the credits read 'she's yours, taste her'), and when he is driven to the brink, despite his damnedest of efforts, he attempts to repeat Marty's abuses. Pretty loving bleak.

i never got the implication that joy mutants explicitly wanted to kill women. there's no women in the game, and they're homicidal enough, but nothing leapt out at their violence being a side effect of hating women.

i think you got the cause and effect of brad and joy backwards too. brad wasn't an amazing dude who made one poor choice to try joy and whoops there goes everything. he was already a shitbird and his generally lovely life led him to substance abuse and eventually joy. him being a sins-of-the-father reflection of marty isn't because of joy, joy just exacerbates that whole situation

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

homeless poster posted:

i never got the implication that joy mutants explicitly wanted to kill women. there's no women in the game, and they're homicidal enough, but nothing leapt out at their violence being a side effect of hating women.

i think you got the cause and effect of brad and joy backwards too. brad wasn't an amazing dude who made one poor choice to try joy and whoops there goes everything. he was already a shitbird and his generally lovely life led him to substance abuse and eventually joy. him being a sins-of-the-father reflection of marty isn't because of joy, joy just exacerbates that whole situation

Some notes in the lab of a joy addict rave about killing a woman, and "KILL HER" is frequently written in blood on the walls near joy mutants.

Regarding Brad, that's the point I was trying to make. LISA posits that hate of women is an essential male property; joy just expresses the latent desire.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Joy seemed a lot more about the joy of killing and violence in general, rather than specifically towards women, to me. After all, the mutants calm down after achieving their goal, and there's quite a few calm mutants, but no women for them to kill at all.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm about to start playing this game not knowing what to expect.

What should I expect?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

What should I expect?

A fairly unforgiving turn-based RPG full of absurdist humor that's often blacker than midnight in a mineshaft. Don't start with Pain Mode.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

What should I expect?

A joyful ending.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

homeless poster posted:

There's a bit of evidence from The Doctor in Olathe 'burbs and his last note. But in general, Joy brings out latent desire in people, which tends to eventually translate into murderous carnage. Henry Wyatt defends the only memory of his brother he has left (the record), while Brad continues to pursue Buddy (while calling her Lisa). [/quote] Obviously violence/hatred towards women is a huge part of the themes of Lisa, but the idea that they are programmed to attack/kill women is reaching a bit.

For Brad, joy was pretty much a way to give him a drug addiction that was relevant to the setting. He was downing pain-killers before the White Flash and generally running away from things in his life [spoiler]and it's heavily implied that he skipped Lisa's funeral because of his guilt
. You're meant to be sympathetic to where Brad is, but disgusted by how all his choices, or lack of choices, led him there. Sticky explicitly calls him out on failing to actually move on with his life. And in case Brad's past isn't horrible enough, he totally found Dusty post-maiming and walked away leaving Dusty alone and blaming himself. That is some stone-cold poo poo to do to your son.

quote:

What should I expect?

Terrible, wonderful, hilarious things. Don't get frustrated if a party member dies/leaves or something, the game gives you far more resources than necessary for even a beginner RPG player to clear the game and most side content. Don't play Pain mode right away.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Oxxidation posted:

Don't start with Pain Mode.

alternately start with Pain Mode because this game is easier that pissing down your own leg and at least the arbitrary challenge of having a limited number of save points imparts some difficulty into the game.

seriously the game is an awesome experience but challenging it is not

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Starting off with Pain mode is ok until you bike off a cliff 3/4ths of the way through a new area

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ezzer posted:

Starting off with Pain mode is ok until you bike off a cliff 3/4ths of the way through a new area

random cliff deaths are the only way i know i am truly alive.

seriously you will be more upset about cliff death than any RNG fuckery where a mutant permakills a party member

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

There's no reason whatsoever that cliff falls should do more than 500hp damage and reset position.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

There's no reason whatsoever that cliff falls should do more than 500hp damage and reset position.

That's not very painful

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly the limited save points sounds annoying too me not because of difficulty but because the layout of the map makes me backtrack constantly because I can never keep track of where the hell I am. Trying to find save points would be really annoying.

Really hope the next game has a map.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Ezzer posted:

That's not very painful

The permanent black screen you occasionally get after exiting the pause menu is pretty painful too. Finally games are art.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Just going through my library I noticed 10 new achievements added to Lisa. They're all just named "DLC __," but I guess it's a sign the expansion is almost out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iserlohn posted:

Just going through my library I noticed 10 new achievements added to Lisa. They're all just named "DLC __," but I guess it's a sign the expansion is almost out.

The release date is the 25th, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh poo poo, I didn't realize it was almost out. I also didn't realize it was technically defined as DLC or an "expansion". Very interesting...

• Locked thread