Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

I put a couple of new pairs of cheap, dark wash blue jeans through my washer & dryer. Now the inside of the dryer is stained blue, and some of my towels and khakis have a faint blue tint to them. Is there any way to remove the stains?

Not as far as I know. Protip: never wash new-ish denim with other clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

kedo posted:

Find a gross substance that can legally be checked in bags but would be disgusting to drink and put a fake label for it on the growler?

HIV POSITIVE STOOL SAMPLES

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

For some reason, my first floor smells like pot (I think; I haven't had direct contact with the stuff). It did not smell last night, but started smelling first thing in the morning. We don't live in a very populated area and it rained last night, so it seems unlikely that we had people smoking around our house. We did hear some sort of sound outside while we were going to sleep, but didn't think much of it. There is a feral/stray cat whose gender we don't know; does male cats' spray smell at all like weed? What else could possibly be making this odor?

I haven't smoked pot in ages but it could be a skunk. They're not quite the same scent but it's similar.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know anything about phones? Both my wife and have been getting random phone calls from numbers that start as the first six numbers the same as ours, so like 123-123-1234 is mine and 321-123-1234 is hers and shes gets calls from a bunch of numbers that are 321-123-randomnumbers and I get calls from 123-123-randomnumbers and when you pick up they hang up immediately and usually when you call back it goes straight to voicemail, but today someone answered and said they never dialed. Is some weird phone poo poo going?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

kedo posted:

Find a gross substance that can legally be checked in bags but would be disgusting to drink and put a fake label for it on the growler?

Growler of Moxie.

If it's not something to worry about, I won't worry. I was just a little concerned after an in-law told me she'd had some things stolen in the past while on business.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Why did the moron throw the clock out the window?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

hooah posted:

For some reason, my first floor smells like pot (I think; I haven't had direct contact with the stuff). It did not smell last night, but started smelling first thing in the morning. We don't live in a very populated area and it rained last night, so it seems unlikely that we had people smoking around our house. We did hear some sort of sound outside while we were going to sleep, but didn't think much of it. There is a feral/stray cat whose gender we don't know; does male cats' spray smell at all like weed? What else could possibly be making this odor?

Have you ever smelled a skunk? That's probably it, they are nocturnal, don't mind living in populated areas, their smell hangs around for some time and isn't far off from weed.

Harmless so long as you or your pets dont go barging around in the bushes after twilight.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have a Twitter Account. It's Settings/Profile is set to GMAIL Account X. I volunteered on a website with GMAIL Account Y. The website shows my twitter account from GMAIL Account X. How do I change this? Why is this occurring?

The website was generated by http://nationbuilder.com/ if that matters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Have you ever smelled a skunk? That's probably it, they are nocturnal, don't mind living in populated areas, their smell hangs around for some time and isn't far off from weed.

Harmless so long as you or your pets dont go barging around in the bushes after twilight.

I have, and this smell smelled similar, but a little different. Also weird was the fact that upstairs was fine, despite running a window A/C in our bedroom all night. In any case, opening a couple windows downstairs dissipated the odor, so that's at least dealt with.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I'm trying to create a PDF file from a .docx file containing images. I first used Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. For some reason, the PDF converter - no matter what converter I use - totally screws up one style of image in the document, apparently setting it to maximum contrast or something.

Here's a sample of what the image looks like originally:
http://imgur.com/9c08KrV

Here's what it looks like in the PDF:
http://imgur.com/oQNDgx8

I've set all the image quality settings to maximum in case that was causing it, but it makes no difference at all. Other, more colourful PNG files in the document don't look weird or anything. Most frustrating of all is that I know I've managed to create a PDF from this doc file before that looked just fine... several years ago. But can't remember what I might have done differently then from now.

Why in the drat hell is it doing this, and what can I do to make it stop?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I'm trying to create a PDF file from a .docx file containing images. I first used Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. For some reason, the PDF converter - no matter what converter I use - totally screws up one style of image in the document, apparently setting it to maximum contrast or something.

I've set all the image quality settings to maximum in case that was causing it, but it makes no difference at all. Other, more colourful PNG files in the document don't look weird or anything. Most frustrating of all is that I know I've managed to create a PDF from this doc file before that looked just fine... several years ago. But can't remember what I might have done differently then from now.

I admit I don't know much, but have you tried opening the image reencoding it (possibly as a different image type) and adding the new image to the document?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I admit I don't know much, but have you tried opening the image reencoding it (possibly as a different image type) and adding the new image to the document?

I haven't (partially because finding the original would be a big pain) but it shouldn't make a difference in the first place - all the images were created by me at the same time using the same program and encoded the same way, and in the past, however I might have done it, they turned out fine.

I'm sure there's a setting somewhere ballsing these up but I have no idea where.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
is there any option like "remove noise" because it looks like it's doing something like that and you want to turn it off. Or it looks like it thinks that grey is bleeding through from the reverse side of the page so it removes it.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 21, 2015

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Schweinhund posted:

is there any option like "remove noise" because it looks like it's doing something like that and you want to turn it off. Or it looks like it thinks that grey is bleeding through from the reverse side of the page so it removes it.

No, unfortunately not that I can find. I've looked through all the settings I thought were relevant (and a few I didn't). I ensured it wasn't 'optimizing for web viewing' either, just in case that was what was causing problems. And it happens with every converter I've tried (as well as Acrobat, I've tried PDFCreator, CutePDF and PrimoPDF)

EDIT: Oh, and now I've tried an online converter - this actually manages the images correctly, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to handle all the different fonts that were used and uses default fonts instead. Argh!

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 21, 2015

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I haven't (partially because finding the original would be a big pain) but it shouldn't make a difference in the first place - all the images were created by me at the same time using the same program and encoded the same way, and in the past, however I might have done it, they turned out fine.

I'm sure there's a setting somewhere ballsing these up but I have no idea where.

I don't know what quality you need but you can copy paste the image from word into photoshop etc.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I also had a weird problem with converting to pdf with .PNG's in the document. The rendering would constantly change the transparent background of the .PNG to black. I resolved it by just changing the extension on the images to .GIF. Maybe try that.

You can right click on an image in word to Save As the photo, then adjust the extension and re-insert.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Soul Reaver posted:

No, unfortunately not that I can find. I've looked through all the settings I thought were relevant (and a few I didn't). I ensured it wasn't 'optimizing for web viewing' either, just in case that was what was causing problems. And it happens with every converter I've tried (as well as Acrobat, I've tried PDFCreator, CutePDF and PrimoPDF)

EDIT: Oh, and now I've tried an online converter - this actually manages the images correctly, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to handle all the different fonts that were used and uses default fonts instead. Argh!

FWIW I pasted that image into Word 2010 and then printed ti to the pdf printer for Acrobat XI using all the defaults and it came out fine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've gotten a weird email, it's titled "please read" and inside is a block of letters, signs with no meaning.

could this be harmful?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

I've gotten a weird email, it's titled "please read" and inside is a block of letters, signs with no meaning.

could this be harmful?

A whistleblower is trying to contact you. Decrypt their email with smarts and go buy an air gapped computer and try to set up a secret drop location using the same cipher as the original email.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

Word 2010 and later has the ability to save directly to PDF, I've always had better luck with that than with PDF printers or other converters.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tuyop posted:

A whistleblower is trying to contact you. Decrypt their email with smarts and go buy an air gapped computer and try to set up a secret drop location using the same cipher as the original email.

Jokes aside, I did some research and it might be phishing but I have no idea why the message is garbled. I've read you can't get a virus from opening an email anymore, too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Jokes aside, I did some research and it might be phishing but I have no idea why the message is garbled. I've read you can't get a virus from opening an email anymore, too.

Could be their spam program is busted and not creating emails properly

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Reason posted:

Anyone know anything about phones? Both my wife and have been getting random phone calls from numbers that start as the first six numbers the same as ours, so like 123-123-1234 is mine and 321-123-1234 is hers and shes gets calls from a bunch of numbers that are 321-123-randomnumbers and I get calls from 123-123-randomnumbers and when you pick up they hang up immediately and usually when you call back it goes straight to voicemail, but today someone answered and said they never dialed. Is some weird phone poo poo going?

You've heard of Number Stations, right? This is Number Phones.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Going up and down Dallas North Tollway, there are mile-marker-esque green signs posted along the median, about every 1/8th mile. Each one increments by 5 (so, 355, 360, 365, 370 etc.) I haven't for the life of me been able to work out what unit of measurement these represent. Any ideas?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ezzer posted:

Going up and down Dallas North Tollway, there are mile-marker-esque green signs posted along the median, about every 1/8th mile. Each one increments by 5 (so, 355, 360, 365, 370 etc.) I haven't for the life of me been able to work out what unit of measurement these represent. Any ideas?

Those are "reference markers" if you get an accident or similar, and they are placed every 500 feet. So add 00 to the end of them and they indicate your distance from the start in feet.

They don't seem to have any particular reason to have done this instead of normal mile markers, but it's a thing a lot of railroads do (indicating distance based on multiples of 100 or 500 feet) so maybe they copied from there?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Ezzer posted:

From its Wikipedia page:

Note: NTTA does not provide mile reference markers or exit numbers. However, reference markers are provided at 500-foot (150 m) intervals along the major corridors. These markers are installed on the top of the concrete traffic barrier along the DNT corridor. The reference marker corresponds to the station of the alignment in the construction plans.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Thanks for the quick responses, guys

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't really know if there is a better place to post this, but I was out hiking and found a fallen tree. It had a bunch of this bright spiky stuff growing on it in patches. It looks like it is slowly transforming into a pink porcupine. What is this?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm in the market for a new car. I don't feel financially comfortable getting a loan and buying new. I don't want to buy a lovely used car that I'll have to dump money into to keep working (I can do that with the car I have now). It seems like an ideal option would be to lease a new car for a few years, while I save enough money to be more comfortable with a new car. However, it seems like half of everyone I know just shouts that I should never lease a car.

Why is leasing so bad? I understand that it's making payments towards a vehicle you don't own, but all I need is something reliable with low enough payments that I can save for when I want to buy.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

alnilam posted:

Word 2010 and later has the ability to save directly to PDF, I've always had better luck with that than with PDF printers or other converters.

Magic. This actually worked. Looks like the dedicated programs are worse at this than Word itself. Thanks for the help!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nighthand posted:

Why is leasing so bad? I understand that it's making payments towards a vehicle you don't own, but all I need is something reliable with low enough payments that I can save for when I want to buy.

When you finance a car, your payments build equity on the car. At the end of the loan, you own the car in its entirety. If you sell the car back partway through the loan, you will have partial ownership of the car.

With a lease, you're not building up ownership of the car. You're paying for the depreciation, and at the end of the lease the dealership turns around and resells the car for the depreciated price. Your lease payments have been covering the difference between new and used (plus interest, plus profit, plus mileage, plus...), and at the end of the lease you get the option of financing/buying your car. If you then finance the car, you will have paid lease payments on depreciation (rather than ownership share of the car), and only then do you start paying for something you personally can turn around and sell for money back in your pocket.

Buying used, on financing, can lower the monthly payments associated with the car (compared to buying the same model new) and many reputable dealerships have a warranty on their used inventory. Plus, you said you wanted low payments until you could afford a new car, and this gives you some trade-in value when you are ready.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 22, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Soul Reaver posted:

Magic. This actually worked. Looks like the dedicated programs are worse at this than Word itself. Thanks for the help!

Word knows how to translate all of its own weird quirks into PDF without breaking it. Other programs might not.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Can you get a cheap MRI from a medical school or something without a prescription?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

IMJack posted:

Can you get a cheap MRI from a medical school or something without a prescription?

Nothing about MRIs is cheap, so no. They only exist in hospitals (sometimes universities for research) and can only be used with a doctor's order or as part of a study. Also medical schools are associated with an actual hospital, so there's no such thing as "from a medical school for cheap" like there is with dentistry.

You could possibly find some study to participate in that involves getting an MRI, and then ask them for the data afterwards?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

IMJack posted:

What's cheap?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

What's cheap?

Roundabout a grand. The copay on the one I had on my shoulder was about $800. I'm assuming insurance wouldn't be involved.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a bizarre Christmas comic strip.

There's a family in a house having Christmas dinner and one either turns into an alien and kills everyone or an alien comes into the house. The North Star has some importance.

It plays out as a silly tongue-in-cheek Christmas moral.

Any ideas?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

IMJack posted:

Roundabout a grand. The copay on the one I had on my shoulder was about $800. I'm assuming insurance wouldn't be involved.

At that price, you are right near where you can do some medical tourism. I own my own business, and paying for medical insurance is silly money wise in that case.

Once a year or two, I go off and drop a couple thousand on first class medical care in a place like the Philippines. IIRC an MRI on my knee was $380 including the reading. If you have prescriptions and no insurance, you can get a couple years worth for the price of a month or two on the mainland.

It's at least something to think about.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Enfys posted:

I don't really know if there is a better place to post this, but I was out hiking and found a fallen tree. It had a bunch of this bright spiky stuff growing on it in patches. It looks like it is slowly transforming into a pink porcupine. What is this?

Pretty sure it is a fungus. A google search for "pink fungus" led me to a family of fungi called Clavariaceae which looks similar, but I'm purely guessing.

You can try asking over in the Plants in General thread as well. Be sure to mention where in the world you are located.

Edit: just noticed you already posted it there.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I feel like this is going to sound kind of insane but here goes.

I am going to view an apartment tonight on behalf of a friend who is moving over from America to London for a year from a couple of weeks away. He's a guy I spent a few weeks hanging out with when he visited quite a long time ago so I don't know him particularly well. We were both teenagers back then and I expect we've changed hugely since.

I really want to help him find a place because I know how awful it can feel for people to move here and have nowhere arranged to live, so what kind of attitude and tone should I take when meeting the potential flatmates tonight? As far as I can tell from the room advert they are a bunch of mid-twenties guys who have a fairly similar lifestyle to my own. I'm not trying to convince them that I'll be a good tenant, although making friends with them might help if they think it'll reflect well on my friend... so should I try to remain somewhat detached and professional or not?

Also is it a huge faux pas to bring like, gifts? Like a pack of beer or wine or something? I'm thinking probably it is but you never know.