Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

random and quirky the book is.

My man you've got an Atomic Robo av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Methinks you guys are getting way too riled up about what is largely a joke panel set in an alternate universe with an entirely different creative team than the normal Squirrel Girl book. But clearly you have some issues to work out towards this squirrel-powered girl so maybe you should whine about it for a couple of pages wait never mind please do the opposite.

New Warriors #5: The New Warriors just beat the High Evolutionary.

The perfect talking cat and dog.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SynthOrange posted:

How have you never come across the concept of slash fiction?

Interesting phrasing.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Was this page posted?

Magneto and Xavier!

I'm more amused by the fact that their presence in the first panel implies that Spidey and the Rhino were both also trying to win a date with Thor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're doing it for the animals!

wait no, phrasing bad !

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

The perfect talking cat and dog.

Here's what I want to whine about : How come when the artist changes, those two have their designs completely changed? Obviously a new artist is gonna have a different style, but Jake is clearly a beagle there and then he turns out looking like this:

And that's not even close to a beagle.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got some clouds to shake my fist at

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bakanogami posted:

I'm more amused by the fact that their presence in the first panel implies that Spidey and the Rhino were both also trying to win a date with Thor.

I'd put on Beauford T. Hollis's Razorback suit and run in that race for a chance for a date with Thor. I mean, c'mon.

Thor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

No squirrel girl is way dumb, and her fans are amongst the worst fandoms out there, so it's no surprise the luuuuuuuurrrv how wacky and shippy and random and quirky the book is.

True. It lacks the subtle normality of an atomic-powered Tesla robot who fights Cthulhu and Ghost Zombie Edison.

(Posting a panel because I think both Atomic Robot and Squirrel Girl are funny.)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

How have you never come across the concept of slash fiction?

I understand the concept, ergo my description of it being dumb, juvenile, and belittling of actual diversity issues in comics.

Squirrel Girl is a funny character, but the comic people keep linking just feels like it's trying so hard to prove it's cool and wants people to share notes from it's tumblr.

Here is some better Squirrel Girl because people shouldn't be allowed to post multiple times without posting panels.

GLX-MAS 1

Deadpool/GLI Summer Special

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
P-Cat the Penitent Puss should make a dramatic return to the Pet Avengers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have the panels where Squirrel Girl and Logan run into each other in Avengers Mansion? I think it was a Bendis book (of course) and Squirrel Girl was being hired to be Luke and Jessica's nanny.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's from Secret Love. It's all about silly lighthearted love stories from Battleworld like where Ghost Rider and Kamala Kahn have a sort of date, Danny and Misty punch dinosaurs, Squirrel Girl goes to a party with thor, there's Captain America ladybugs and Hulk roly polys and Daredevil's wife stalking him before they're all eaten by demons.

It's fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SynthOrange posted:

It's from Secret Love. It's all about silly lighthearted love stories from Battleworld like where Ghost Rider and Kamala Kahn have a sort of date, Danny and Misty punch dinosaurs, Squirrel Girl goes to a party with thor, there's Captain America ladybugs and Hulk roly polys and Daredevil's wife stalking him before they're all eaten by demons.

It's fun.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

DoubleDonut posted:

Here's what I want to whine about : How come when the artist changes, those two have their designs completely changed? Obviously a new artist is gonna have a different style, but Jake is clearly a beagle there and then he turns out looking like this:

And that's not even close to a beagle.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got some clouds to shake my fist at

Simple Answer: That artist is a furry, and he now has a ton of "risque" drawings of Jake Waffle in his private portfolio.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sigma-X posted:

I understand the concept, ergo my description of it being dumb, juvenile, and belittling of actual diversity issues in comics.

Squirrel Girl is a funny character, but the comic people keep linking just feels like it's trying so hard to prove it's cool and wants people to share notes from it's tumblr.

Sometimes, some comics aren't for you. Sometimes they're for other people. This is one of those times.

I know this may be a difficult concept. Please try to cope, it will be all right.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Sigma-X posted:

When the artist posted the list of characters in that panel (linked a page or two ago) he specifically said that not every "couple" was romantic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sigma-X posted:

GLX-MAS 1

It's pretty good and it knows canon. Not sure why it riles people up so much. I mean, other than the fact that SG is depicted as a plain nerd.

[Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Not sure why it riles people up so much.

Because it's a bold-faced statement about how arbitrary and unimportant "who can beat who" power rankings in fiction are and anyone who invests in those concepts hates to be reminded of that fact. "How do you kill a vampire? However the gently caress you feel like. Vampires aren't real."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sigma-X posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that shipping a bunch of non-gay dudes into couples is not hee-haw-larious but just dumb and juvenile and kind of belittling actual diversity issues in comics?

Possibly.

But the Xavier and Magneto relations have always been such over the years that people have called them 'a married couple' for a long time. They've had good times and bad times, arguments that are still ongoing.

My own judgement on this is thus biased in this case. It's easy for me to picture them growing old together and such, like 'As Time Goes By' with super-powers. Perhaps it's just how long they've been at this that does it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 21, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that shipping a bunch of non-gay dudes into couples is not hee-haw-larious but just dumb and juvenile and kind of belittling actual diversity issues in comics?

Since Kirk/Spock fanfiction is likely older than you and I imagine the concept of two close straight men being imagined as homosexuals goes back to at least the Romans/Greeks, it doesn't matter what you think it's a much bigger concept than diversity in comics or not.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cabbit posted:

Sometimes, some comics aren't for you. Sometimes they're for other people. This is one of those times.

I know this may be a difficult concept. Please try to cope, it will be all right.

Case in point I have never liked a single panel of Squirrel Girl from back when she was BSS' favorite wacky comics character to now that she's Tumblr's favorite wacky comics character. I hate Deadpool for much the same reasons.

They're not for me, I don't read them, and when they get posted I roll my eyes and keep scrolling. Other people like them, and they're not going anywhere. I'm glad there are comics for people who aren't me because I'm a 33 year old nerd and if everybody made comics Just For Me pretty soon there wouldn't be any more comics.

I do appreciate Squirrel Girl though because like mind the walrus says, she makes fun of the Goku Vs. Superman crowd that's a segment of the fanbase who desperately needs made fun of.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Case in point I have never liked a single panel of Squirrel Girl from back when she was BSS' favorite wacky comics character to now that she's Tumblr's favorite wacky comics character. I hate Deadpool for much the same reasons.

They're not for me, I don't read them, and when they get posted I roll my eyes and keep scrolling. Other people like them, and they're not going anywhere. I'm glad there are comics for people who aren't me because I'm a 33 year old nerd and if everybody made comics Just For Me pretty soon there wouldn't be any more comics.

I do appreciate Squirrel Girl though because like mind the walrus says, she makes fun of the Goku Vs. Superman crowd that's a segment of the fanbase who desperately needs made fun of.

Are we still allowed to complain about characters we can't stand? I don't complain about the Joker often, but I like to have the option available. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I get the appeal of Squirrel Girl and Deadpool; I'm less sure if I get the appeal of Harley Quinn since DC decided to make her their version of Deadpool, but that's probably because I'm too accustomed to the DCAU version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

It's fun.

One of these things is not like the other :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a funnybook! Laugh drat you! :argh:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

ImpAtom posted:

True. It lacks the subtle normality of an atomic-powered Tesla robot who fights Cthulhu and Ghost Zombie Edison.

(Posting a panel because I think both Atomic Robot and Squirrel Girl are funny.)

Whoa whoa, I never said Atomic robo was SUBTLE. And if you want retarded randomness for no reason, Dr. Dinosaur is one of the worst offenders, true.

I just dislike squirrel girl. And I mean it, I'm glad the book exists and I hope it stays separate and long-lived so her fans can get their fill and I don't have to see it regularly, because dear god that loving art is disgusting. the writing is

tastes are different.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

because dear god that loving art is disgusting. the writing is

virtually indistinguishable from atomic robo.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Sizone posted:

virtually indistinguishable from atomic robo.

Just as you say.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Okay, which one of you is one the cover of The Mighty Thor #2?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wasn't there a goon in here whose husband did thor? I can't remember if that's what he looked like, but the costume seemed pretty close. They had a stupendous Herc, too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The MSJ posted:

Okay, which one of you is one the cover of The Mighty Thor #2?

That can't be real. Surely they would have found--oh, jeez it is real

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's loving hilarious. Can't wait to see the others.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It would be infinitely better if they went for goofy pictures than if they tried to get looks-just-like-a-drawing pictures.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can see the rest here. (Warning: slideshow.)

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

prefect posted:

It would be infinitely better if they went for goofy pictures than if they tried to get looks-just-like-a-drawing pictures.

Thor, exasperated, trying to figure out how to do his taxes for both the US and Asgard

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That Wasp one looks like it could be the cover of THIS AIN'T AVENGERS VOLUME 2.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

prefect posted:

The covers are mostly made to look like the pictures you take at conventions. They're not meant to look professional and most of them aren't too bad. Of course then you have those Thor and Daredevil covers. And Mini Iron Man.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Honestly, some of those were pretty dope. She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Nova, and Gamora in particular.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Honestly, some of those were pretty dope. She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Nova, and Gamora in particular.

I think the problem is that a lot of the photographs are just terrible. That's par for the course with these things, but you don't usually put those pictures on covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The nature of her helmet's making Thor look like she's cross-eyed.