Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NGDBSS posted:

The funny thing about topknots is that not only do they look doofy on most people, but they were not actually a Mongol thing in the first place. If you're going to dress for the steppe, complete with fur hat, how does a topknot fit there? I'm guessing that topknots became a thing solely due to the early art being in the style of 80s metal album covers, and afterwards things just kinda stuck as they often did in 40K lore.

Edit: Some of the art seems also to riff on styles the Mongols picked up from the Chinese after establishing the Yuan dynasty.

Wasn't Mongol hair fashion closer to "fringe and sideburns, nothing up top"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

Wasn't Mongol hair fashion closer to "fringe and sideburns, nothing up top"?
Apparently it was that way for men, sometimes. Or other times involved braiding long hair. Wikipedia's not terribly detailed and thus you might know more than I do. :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's only so much you can do with human hair so, with the exception of the tonsure which will always be ridiculous, you can imagine Mongols in whatever hairstyle you want and you will be correct given how long they ruled such a vast empire

I'm on my phone right now but somebody post that ponytail height in regards to intelligence and find a picture from 40k that matches the theoretical zero point, I'm sure one exists

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This one?

I don't know that any 40K art has ponytails in front of the head, but I guess anything's possible :shobon:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Thought I'd pop in and post about the Rogue Trader game my group has going on Sundays, the sessions are split up and posted every few days here.

Featuring:
*A xenophilous Rogue Trader prone to unreasonable demands who nevertheless tries to keep everything in one piece.
*An Actual Dark Eldar as first mate because That Is How We Roll.
*A backstabbing, cowardly Seneschal who attempts at least one mutiny a session.
*A crazy(ier than usual) religious Astropath who is secretly an Inquisition informant.
*A mutated, wyrdling Explorator who's takes the Quest for Knowledge to new and exciting heights (this one is me! The mutations happen in the most recent episode when I fix a character creation mistake I made)
*A newly joined Arch-Militant who has no idea what he's getting into.

Last session Our Glorious Captain failed 4 skill 50 piloting tests and now our ship has crash landed on a Necron tomb world which we have to raid for parts because the ship's half xenotech.

Warning: We're bad at rules.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I see a fairly standard Rogue Trader party there, nothing weird there. RT who fiddles in things he/she shouldn't, random Xenos, rear end in a top hat Seneschal, crazy Psyker, Explorator who probably should have been declared a Heretek instead of an Explorator and the straight man.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
We're also a bunch of clowns and I wouldn't be surprised if the raid on the pyramid is going to be Temple of Doom style with a giant necron technoboulder.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

EthanSteele posted:

We're also a bunch of clowns and I wouldn't be surprised if the raid on the pyramid is going to be Temple of Doom style with a giant necron technoboulder.

Did Temple of Doom even have a boulder?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ablative posted:

Did Temple of Doom even have a boulder?

Nope, that was the unnamed temple at the start.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

EthanSteele posted:

Correct, except instead of a boulder, its necron versions of this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4s6v1hWAw

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So my players in the CYOA have burned through all their Fate points, and would like to buy more. We have just gotten to Magos 12 and bought Favored by Fate (for +1 Fate). Are there any other ways to get more? (Aside from heroics.) Are there any other classes that provide them, or can Favored by Fate be taken multiple times, or something?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

They are usually awarded for MAJOR deeds rather than bought.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

You mean they've burned all of their fate points to stay alive? Unless they've done some crazy great roleplaying or heroics, that's all they get. If they've gone through all their fate points they're either shockingly unfortunate or very high level by now and death should be permanent.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pharmaskittle posted:

You mean they've burned all of their fate points to stay alive? Unless they've done some crazy great roleplaying or heroics, that's all they get. If they've gone through all their fate points they're either shockingly unfortunate or very high level by now and death should be permanent.

Yeah, they have 38,000 XP. We're almost to the end of the line I think.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Upon ascension you can get more Fate but that's the only other way I can think of RAW.

Maybe you can run a story around doing some really great deed, like reclaiming some major Saint's lost relic to replenish burned Fate, perhaps at the expense of a possession of great value.

Edit: or make it a challenge to see if you'll die before you become a Hero of the Imperium.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I just got into Rogue Trader in the past year, but what I've discovered is that I apparently like orderly presentation of information way more than FFG does (also editing). Designing a ship is a pretty big pain in the rear end with material spread over four or more books and hunting down personal-scale equipment is no better, so I created a couple of online resources for my gaming group. I figure I might as well post them here in case anyone else might find them useful.

My Rogue Trader Ship Design Worksheet contains information on all of the Ship Components I am aware of, lets you filter by hull type, and autocalculates basic ship stats and SP/Space/Power costs. Just save a copy to your own Drive (File > Make a copy...) to use the autocalc functionality.
My Rogue Trader Equipment Database is basically just a list of every item I am aware of sorted by type, again with filters to narrow items down further. Feel free to save your own copy of this as well, but it shouldn't be necessary since none of it depends on editing the document.

If you use either of these and find an error or something that's too confusing, please post here or leave a comment on the document and I'll try to address it when I can.

OpenlyEvilJello fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 24, 2015

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

LowellDND posted:

Yeah, they have 38,000 XP. We're almost to the end of the line I think.

Yeah, it's totally time for the endgame big job where some characters don't survive.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If you aren't reading Lowell's CYOA, do so. It's very well written and fun. Although we readers do seem to have a deathwish.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

VanSandman posted:

If you aren't reading Lowell's CYOA, do so. It's very well written and fun. Although we readers do seem to have a deathwish.

We did literally vote between "die" and "don't die" and chose to die.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, it's totally time for the endgame big job where some characters don't survive.

It's a CYOA. There is only one player character.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

VanSandman posted:

I started reading it after seeing this post, and I just read the end of arc 1. Totally enthralled by it, the writing is great, and Flours 2.0 as a ballistic weapon was loving brilliant.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hexenritter posted:

I started reading it after seeing this post, and I just read the end of arc 1. Totally enthralled by it, the writing is great, and Flours 2.0 as a ballistic weapon was loving brilliant.

Thank you! :D Always good to have more readers :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LowellDND posted:

Thank you! :D Always good to have more readers :D

You're totally welcome. That thread has stolen my entire evening and promises to devour so much more. I hope to get in on the ground floor of your next one.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hexenritter posted:

You're totally welcome. That thread has stolen my entire evening and promises to devour so much more. I hope to get in on the ground floor of your next one.

Yessss... :D I hang out in the #madgod irc chat a fair bit if you want to chat with the other readers :D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LowellDND posted:

Yessss... :D I hang out in the #madgod irc chat a fair bit if you want to chat with the other readers :D

I'm guessing synirc?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Yep.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So how would you make the War Boys from Mad Max Fury Road in Only War?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
feral worlders, maverick commander, the dunebuggy regiment type. hold on, I made one (they were more down to earth agriworlders) earlier.

Found it

Change those up with more spiky/feral choices as needed.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 29, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ronwayne posted:

feral worlders, maverick commander, the dunebuggy regiment type. hold on, I made one (they were more down to earth agriworlders) earlier.

Found it

Change those up with more spiky/feral choices as needed.

Needs a special regimental ability called WITNESS ME

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hey guys anybody have some hints for killing a Necron Lord as a bunch of rank 2s thanks

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Is your regimental basic wepaon the melta gun, do you have like three weapon specs with it? (or lascannon if heavy).

Multilas with Sentry should work.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

call in super heavy tank regiment support, you have that right?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Her'es the thing, with sassy newcrons, a Necron Lord is less of a physical threat to you than he is going to troll the poo poo out of you. More Jigsaw meets David Bowie than skynet.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

No it's just the 6 of us in the tomb with about 30 murder servitors. The Rogue Trader just got instagibbed by the Staff of Light but fated his dodge and survived. The murder servitors are holding off the necron warriors for now but are being slowly overrun.

Edit: The Seneschal is riding on my back because he's at 1 wound and trying to reload his inferno pistol so he can wildly fire at the Lord as it chases behind us. I'm holding the macguffin so I can't shoot. Necrons murdered our shuttle guards and now there's flayed ones running around outside.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 30, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

No it's just the 6 of us in the tomb with about 30 murder servitors. The Rogue Trader just got instagibbed by the Staff of Light but fated his dodge and survived. The murder servitors are holding off the necron warriors for now but are being slowly overrun.
Can you run and collapse the entrance behind you and leave the planet?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I guess it's time for diplomacy and explain how this all was just a huge misunderstanding

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Zereth posted:

Can you run and collapse the entrance behind you and leave the planet?

This is the plan but half of us are in the temple still.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

A SCARAB ATE MY SERVO SKULL NOOOOO

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

This is an especially weird remake of pac-man.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Okay we survived (other than Frederik the servo skull, alas). Now we just have to install the macguffins on the ship and fly back into orbit before the Necrons catch up. Luckily we have the rest of the murder servitors and tore out some of the macrocannons to make gun batteries because we're down to about 20% crew after crash landing on the tomb world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GruntyThrst posted:

Okay we survived (other than Frederik the servo skull, alas). Now we just have to install the macguffins on the ship and fly back into orbit before the Necrons catch up. Luckily we have the rest of the murder servitors and tore out some of the macrocannons to make gun batteries because we're down to about 20% crew after crash landing on the tomb world.

If you literally crashed there, how did you even get back to orbit?