Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Foehammer posted:

I finally bought Mage Knight since no one here can shut up about it.

Congrats on getting the third best board game in existence. I hope you bought the expansions too, otherwise your just going to hop back in the car and go get them once you finish the tutorial mission.

lockdar posted:

I have the feeling that I'll be playing it solo about 60-70% of the time, is Mageknight still worth buying at that point?
Mage Knight is best to buy in this situation, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

lockdar posted:

I have the feeling that I'll be playing it solo about 60-70% of the time, is Mageknight still worth buying at that point?

That's more than most people play it with others

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TTA 2e is making me regret ever buying the first edition. I hope they make an upgrade kit.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

lockdar posted:

Yes, but you can always try the vassal module if you want to try before you buy.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Foehammer posted:

My friend flipped the box over to read the text on the bottom, and immediately realized his mistake, since my eyes went :eyepop:

My grandfather did this with my copy of Axis and Allies like 15 years ago.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

S.T.C.A. posted:

Why do people hate Star Realms so much? What makes it inherently less skillful than Dominion?

I'm off man out I guess. It is a game of luck but my wife and I enjoy kicking out a few games. We usually take it with us when traveling whip it out in airports or hotel to relax, granted this trip my wife brought Jaipur instead so maybe I am the only idiot who likes it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

lockdar posted:

Playing with p-p-people isn't necessary.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Someone suggest me a game that has the most possible dice.

If you want a good game full of dice, there's the monster slugathon fantasy wargame - Titan.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Board Game Arena has added the ability to video chat with other players in-game.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 20, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gimnbo posted:

Board Game Arena has added the ability video chat with other players in-game.

I don't see how this could ever go wrong.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tekopo posted:

Through the Ages is good but there are a lot of issues with it, especially in terms of the rules and some of the lovely randomized crap like not drawing wars or stuff like that. I can understand why you don't like it DrBouvenstein, but I do feel that some of it in part is from not knowing the rules of the game very well, which is entirely the fault of the game since the rulebook is one of the worst pieces of crap that has ever surfaced god's green earth.

That's true.

The terrible rule book just enforced us not playing correctly, since it was too much of a hassle to look things up if we thought something sounded off.

I'm willing to keep giving it a shot...and in fact, just in the past couple hours, between looking more at the rules and posts at BGG, there are STILL some rules we have wrong. And one of them is a DOOZY. I poo poo you not, we thought that after every round, when play got back to the first/starting player, the "first player token/card" was passed to the person on your left, and then the first/stating player skipped their turn that round.

So yeah...in a 4-player game, we just thought that you'd play for 3 rounds, then skip out on one. I have absolutely no idea where my friend got that rule. Nothing even CLOSE to that in the book.

Is there some other game that has a mechanic like that he might have gotten confused in his head? Because holy poo poo, that alone makes me willing to give this game another shot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holy loving god how. Yeah, um, Dead of Winter has that sort of first player passing! Does your friend like one of the most mediocre pieces of trash released in the past few years? :v:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lockdar posted:

Honestly it sucks with more than one player, everyone's turn takes forever

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Soothing Vapors posted:

Honestly it sucks with more than one player, everyone's turn takes forever

Two and three player are fine, if you're not on meth. Four and God help you five are when things get excruciating.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Can you play with 7 if you use all expansions?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Andarel posted:

Fairly certain the earth doesn't have that many years left.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Gutter Owl posted:

Two and three player are fine, if you're not on meth. Four and God help you five are when things get excruciating.

Highest I've ever been was 3 and I wanted to die

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Andarel posted:

There are no official rules for that, though you could just scale the map appropriately and make up tactics cards numbered 7. You might run out of map tiles, though you it's far more likely the 7th player runs out of patience first.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gutter Owl posted:

You should play with 7 if you have all the expansions :getin:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rutibex posted:

By the time the second turn comes around, though, most people will probably want to :frogout:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Rutibex posted:

Is that the same reccommendation you'd give to Talisman too? :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is that the same reccommendation you'd give to Talisman too? :v:

Dont be foolish, Talisman can easily accommodate over 50 players, with no class crossovers.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Magic Realm plays 16, more if you use the optional classes. I hear last time people tried to play at that count it was an online game that ran the full Development span (4 times as long as the normal game) and it took years to finish. Even though they had a dedicated playerbase.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Rutibex posted:

Dont be foolish, Talisman can easily accommodate over 50 players, with no class crossovers.

Board game thread goonmeet activity found.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's true.

The terrible rule book just enforced us not playing correctly, since it was too much of a hassle to look things up if we thought something sounded off.

I'm willing to keep giving it a shot...and in fact, just in the past couple hours, between looking more at the rules and posts at BGG, there are STILL some rules we have wrong. And one of them is a DOOZY. I poo poo you not, we thought that after every round, when play got back to the first/starting player, the "first player token/card" was passed to the person on your left, and then the first/stating player skipped their turn that round.

So yeah...in a 4-player game, we just thought that you'd play for 3 rounds, then skip out on one. I have absolutely no idea where my friend got that rule. Nothing even CLOSE to that in the book.

Is there some other game that has a mechanic like that he might have gotten confused in his head? Because holy poo poo, that alone makes me willing to give this game another shot.
I honestly refuse to ever play a game of TTA with 4 players. The downtime is too long and the game is actually kind of doesn't feel balanced with 4 players. ive only ever played 3 players because the game works better that way.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
GDC put up a nice talk from Soren Johnson (Civ IV designer) about board games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWNfVhVTJU

Basic stuff for most people in this thread but I'm glad to see a high profile designer really evangelise this kind of stuff, and from a solid design perspective not just the social aspects.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Bubble-T posted:

GDC put up a nice talk from Soren Johnson (Civ IV designer) about board games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWNfVhVTJU

Basic stuff for most people in this thread but I'm glad to see a high profile designer really evangelise this kind of stuff, and from a solid design perspective not just the social aspects.

i can't watch that poo poo at work because of ~work~ but what is the game in the thumbnail?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Axis and Allies, at a guess. Not the main game, but one of the Axis and Allies offshoots (is there a battle of the bulge one?)

EDIT: I was correct

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I've played it a few times. It's still real bad about bucket o dice syndrome but it's got some neat ideas like supply as a physical unit that can be spent, delivered, killed, or captured.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I recommend that Scyther doesn't watch the video or he'll have a brain aneurysm around minute 17.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Looking to buy a worker placement game and have narrowed it down to either Caylus or Keyflower - will be likely to play it with a fairly even split between 2, 3 and 4 players, would either of these stand out based on purely the varied player count?

Edit: Guess Tzolk'in might sneak in as an outsider

Nique fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 21, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Tekopo posted:

I recommend that Scyther doesn't watch the video or he'll have a brain aneurysm around minute 17.

Yep

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Nique posted:

Looking to buy a worker placement game and have narrowed it down to either Caylus or Keyflower - will be likely to play it with a fairly even split between 2, 3 and 4 players, would either of these stand out based on purely the varied player count?

Edit: Guess Tzolk'in might sneak in as an outsider

Honestly, get both. I have both, and I really can't tell you which one is better as they are some the best games I've played. It's either you want a dickish worker placement game or a dickish auction/worker placement game. Though I'm partial to Agricola myself.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 21, 2015

Nique
May 18, 2006

Durendal posted:

Honestly, get both. I have both, and I really can't tell you which one is better as they are some the best games played. It's either you want a dickish worker placement game or a dickish auction/worker placement game. Though I'm partial to Agricola myself.

I do want to eventually! Pretty convinced that all of them will be games I would love, just can't really afford to for a fair while. So it's mostly a question about which of the 3 works best overall at the listed player counts rather than which game is better.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Caylus works pretty well at 2 or 3. I've played 4 but the number of spaces feels a little bit sparse, although jockeying for the first player spot becomes more important.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Nique posted:

I do want to eventually! Pretty convinced that all of them will be games I would love, just can't really afford to for a fair while. So it's mostly a question about which of the 3 works best overall at the listed player counts rather than which game is better.

If I had to chose one, I would get Keyflower. Just make sure you pick up Caylus before it goes OOP again. And if you are going to get Tzolkin, you should also get the expansion as it fixes a broken strategy in the base game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Andarel posted:

Magic Realm plays 16, more if you use the optional classes. I hear last time people tried to play at that count it was an online game that ran the full Development span (4 times as long as the normal game) and it took years to finish. Even though they had a dedicated playerbase.

Stelas' next PbP.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Caylus works pretty well at 2 or 3. I've played 4 but the number of spaces feels a little bit sparse, although jockeying for the first player spot becomes more important.

Caylus is optimal at 2 and 4. Five players is too crowded, as is often the case, and in a three player game someone will sometimes be able to get two of the triple production buildings and race away with it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Must have gotten confused then, cause I really thought that 3 was the good spot for it. I haven't played it in a while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I've played a lot of Caylus at 3, never had an issue with it. The odds of someone running away with triple production buildings is pretty rare, only happens if someone gets first player right after stone building is built especially early for two turns in a row with the resources to build them and doesn't have someone take first player on the second turn. Even then, it's very strong but it's not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination since they're sacrificing other strong actions (usually favor track) to do it.

The possible exception is someone pushing really hard on favors and getting an early double stone build but again, that's pretty expensive and doesn't guarantee a win (though it's a big help).