Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Cartoon animals drawn as animes = totally adorbs

But how is tumblr fanart relevant at all?

does it really matter Lamps, you really got to quit responding to fan art posts, it just doesn't show you in a positive light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Cartoon animals drawn as animes = totally adorbs

But how is tumblr fanart relevant at all?

Well it is fanart of the show We Bare Bears, which was being discussed in this thread

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That's not nearly HOW TO DRAW ANIME enough.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I love that there are at least three CN shows in recent years that have intentionally called out that exact "how to draw anime" style to represent lovely fan drawings: Sara's drawings of Darwin and Gumball, Panda's Lucy painting, and Steven Universe had them for (I think) drawings based on their in-universe Golden-Compass-inspired novels.

I wonder how hard it is for them to draw something like that and accidentally have it keep coming out looking good, due to actual talent.

Edit: apparently cannot type and ride bus at same time

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 13, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Panda drew anime sketches in the first episode too, as mugshots. As well as a thank you self portrait.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I like that show but that fanart makes me want them to just burn it all down.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny how the original designs were much more distinctive and characterful despite being practically identical cartoon animals.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Flobbster posted:

I wonder how hard it is for them to draw something like that and accidentally have it keep coming out looking good, due to actual talent.

directly from the professional artists that draw those kinds of intentionally bad looking stuff: draw with your non dominant hand.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That reminds me how in Ben 10 Omniverse they had someone in the team who was under Rob Liefeld's wing back when Image was starting so they got him to do all that he desperately tried to unlearn for this one spread.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I have made a We Bare Bears thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736360

Enjoy!

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just got into Amazing World of Gumball. Holy crap kids' shows are amazing these days. :stare:

Also on the topic of animefication: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F4zQAUUFPw

EDIT: Wow this is a p popular Thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNT0glp33gk

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 18, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

johntfs posted:

The guy was obsessed with the character. Since we don't live in the reality of The Purple Rose of Cairo or The Last Action Hero, the character can't come to him so he stalks the next "best" thing, her voice actress. When she quit the show, she was no longer his conduit to the cartoon rabbit he wanted to rape, so he stopped stalking her.
I think some of the details are getting mixed up here. Like that article mentions, Tress MacNeille canceled several tour appearances that Falk could have traveled to (but didn't quit the show), and Tom Ruegger moved on from Tiny Toons to Animaniacs partly because of "stalker fans" (though I doubt the situation was much different on that show). But he left Tiny Toons in 1992, and it ran until 1995. So, the stalker didn't get the show canceled; he just made things very uncomfortable for some of the staff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The show might have been on TV until 1995, but at least two of those years were pure reruns. Animaniacs started in 1993 and those shows were definitely not running new episodes concurrently.

According to IMDB they only made episodes through 1992, so the story could check out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can probably say this every week, but man tonight's Gumball was amazing. It's like they felt they hadn't tried to integrate any new animation styles into the show lately so they just tried like five more at once. The effect on the geography teacher was particularly great.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Production overlapped on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, because both Charlie Adler and Joe Alaskey left in a huff when they didn't get plum roles on the new show. Alaskey crawled back after an episode; Adler never did and was replaced by John Kassir. But with exception of a special or two, all regular Tiny Toons episodes premiered before Animaniacs did.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

don Jaime posted:

Production overlapped on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, because both Charlie Adler and Joe Alaskey left in a huff when they didn't get plum roles on the new show. Alaskey crawled back after an episode; Adler never did and was replaced by John Kassir. But with exception of a special or two, all regular Tiny Toons episodes premiered before Animaniacs did.

Wait, I'm confused with the wording here. Adler and Alasky were angry that they didn't get prominent roles on Animaniacs so they protested by leaving Tiny Toons?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Correct. They had the same agent and the agent screwed up. Alaskey sucked it up and ultimately managed to get Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. Adler never worked for them again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don Jaime posted:

Correct. They had the same agent and the agent screwed up. Alaskey sucked it up and ultimately managed to get Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. Adler never worked for them again.
I think Adler got the better deal.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

I think Adler got the better deal.

Man, I wouldn't wish Cow and Chicken on my worst enemy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fxls1XrcJc

On the one hand, this might be the first time I see a trans character not played for laughs in a cartoon.

On the other hand, this really does not look that good.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

don Jaime posted:

Huh, interesting. I guess that would explain why Buster sounded completely different in that Christmas episode.

don Jaime posted:

Man, I wouldn't wish Cow and Chicken on my worst enemy.

Cow and Chicken was awesome. :colbert:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

paradoxGentleman posted:

On the one hand, this might be the first time I see a trans character not played for laughs in a cartoon.

That was terrible. I feel bad after watching it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

*click link*

"THEY MET AS ONLINE GAMERS..."

*close window*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

it's doesn't just look bad, it's playing the trans character up way too much. using her as a promotional hook seems disingenuous.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That looks absurdly terrible. Every joke was like someone had read about the concept of a joke but did not actually understand it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

paradoxGentleman posted:

That looks bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This is the show an adventure time thread poster would make

Look! She's lesbian trans! Aren't we progressive! This isn't mawkish and weirdly voyeuristic at all!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Woah you're trans? That's awesome and now, I will launch into a ready-made speech about how awesome being trans is because that's how humans talk about stuff like that

As opposed to

Woah you're trans? That's cool. *awkward silence initiates due to not knowing how to proceed in the conversation*

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have AIDs now

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

paradoxGentleman posted:

This video ruined dick punches as the height of comedy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It reminds me of Sit Down, Shut Up for some reason. Maybe because it's bad.

What is it with marketing and generational thinking? Are they looking for demographics by explaining how their show features people from those demographics? People in marketing should kill themselves.

EDIT: The show's account in getting defensive in the comments, too. That's usually a sign of quality.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Jack Gladney posted:

It reminds me of Sit Down, Shut Up for some reason. Maybe because it's bad.

I'd forgotten all about that loving trainwreck, but YES!

Kudos to them for having a trans character voiced by a trans actor, but the jokes themselves are coming across as forced and hackneyed, and the characters seem cliched-quirky just for the sake of being quirky. Ooh, we have the quirky sociopath whom people continue to tolerate for some reason! Ooh, we have the quirky girl with a quirky fashion sense who makes quirky pop culture references! Ooh, we have the quirky socially-awkward nerd! Wackity shmackity doo!

I always thought trustafarians were supposed to be affluent kids who intentionally dress and smell like homeless people, and hang out on the mall on the weekend to beg for change and smoke pot. Or am I confused?

quote:

Are they looking for demographics by explaining how their show features people from those demographics? People in marketing should kill themselves.

Those characters just need to accept that they're Millennials and deal with it.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 24, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

*click link*

*close window*

I did exactly the same thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Toxxupation posted:

This is the show an adventure time thread poster would make

Look! She's lesbian trans! Aren't we progressive! This isn't mawkish and weirdly voyeuristic at all!

needs more penis and jizz symbolism to show maturity

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

computer parts posted:

I'd be more interested if they'd met as offline gamers.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

You guys have balls. I didn't even click the link.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

*click link*

*close window*

Oh it can't be that bad...

"There's nothing like coming of age in a world where all the good Twitter names are gone because you were born too late"

NOPE YOU WERE RIGHT

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

TwoPair posted:

Oh it can't be that bad...

"There's nothing like coming of age in a world where all the good Twitter names are gone because you were born too late"

NOPE YOU WERE RIGHT

#awfuljoke

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

#StandupComedian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006