Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
What happened to the Kochs saying they were prepared to spend $900 million on their chosen candidate (assumed at the time to be Walker)? Could someone else end up with the prize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slate Action posted:

What happened to the Kochs saying they were prepared to spend $900 million on their chosen candidate (assumed at the time to be Walker)? Could someone else end up with the prize?

They didn't get rich by backing losers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Slate Action posted:

The reporting was that they were going to spend that during the 2016 election cycle. But keep in mind that they run a smorgasbord of conservative media and think tanks (Reason, CATO, AEI, Heartland, etc.) so they're not going to dump it all on one guy. They're going to fund any and all people who'll get the message out about the drastic need to cut taxes and government regulation on industry.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

Your beloved strawman Lieberman didn't run as a Dem, nor did he vote as one.

So much for Obama's vaunted supermajority

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Trump's money isn't just money, it's more than money. Hence, ultramoney.

purestrain money

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Guys, I did it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

a helpful bear posted:

Guys, I did it.

what did you do

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I gave Hillary my cellphone number so that I could see if the "INSULT" text would work. I don't think it was worth it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm not sure which of these more accurately depicts Jeb!?'s campaign. Though in my mind I see a gif of a man running through a ragged, desert landscape, hitting landmines but rag-dolling his aerials so he lands on his feet, awkwardly runs forward/around until he hits another, repeat. And Jeb!?'s idiot head is pasted on the body.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Joementum posted:

Could be a big deal. Right to Rise has over $100m in the bank. Like the rest of the field, they're hoping Trump flies a bit too close to the sun. There's no sign yet of that happening anytime soon.

Yeah their plan is $10m on a positive ad buy for Jeb! While the Walker and Rubio's pacs spend ad money on taking down Trump.

The crazy base is all over this and they are out for blood.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Joementum posted:

Could be a big deal. Right to Rise has over $100m in the bank. Like the rest of the field, they're hoping Trump flies a bit too close to the sun. There's no sign yet of that happening anytime soon.

quote:

Though flummoxed by Trump’s staying power and aghast at the coarse tone he has brought to the race, party elites said they have no plan to take him down. Donors feel powerless. Republican officials have little leverage. Candidates are skittish. Super PAC operatives say attack ads against him could backfire. And everyone agrees that the Trump factor in this chaotic multi-candidate field is so unpredictable that any move carries dangerous risks.

:fh::fh::fh::fh::fh::fh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like a 19th century standoff where everyone is paralyzed by a pressing need to keep their powder dry.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's like in the 60s Batman movie where Batman & Robin (Sanders & Hillary) are off dealing with the messes made by all the villains that live in this weird submarine together, bickering the whole time.

Someone in the GOP is 60s Catwoman and we need to figure this out.:fap:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SirPablo posted:

I'm not sure which of these more accurately depicts Jeb!?'s campaign. Though in my mind I see a gif of a man running through a ragged, desert landscape, hitting landmines but rag-dolling his aerials so he lands on his feet, awkwardly runs forward/around until he hits another, repeat. And Jeb!?'s idiot head is pasted on the body.

man that guy shouldn't have replaced his blood with nitroglycerin

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Someone in the GOP is 60s Catwoman and we need to figure this out.:fap:

It's Christie. Sorry bro.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

stoutfish posted:

america is one great rescission away from becoming a third world country. this is inevitable, because such economic crunches benefit the wealthy in the short term. we are already close, when you look at our education/wealth gap/military spending/incarceration/militarized police.

we don't have time for strategic voting when both the country and the planet is dying.

bernie or nothing.

The Planets Dyin Cloud - Bernnet

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cephalocidal posted:

It's Christie. Sorry bro.

Christie trying to seduce anyone is a pretty fantastic and horrific mental image at the same time. I may cry, but I'll be laughing while I do it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Am I a terrible person for still liking Trump more than any other GOP candidate?
If it helps, whenever you see him, try to remember him talking about female staffers giving blowjobs in the boardroom, or maybe rating their attractiveness with numbers, and telling them to twirl for their male colleagues. :) Trump is, at his heart, as repulsive and vomit-inducing as 'if I knew pretending to be trans would get me into the girls' locker room, I would have discovered my inner woman long ago' Huckabee. He's fine as long as he's insulting other politicians. No further than that, though.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

meristem posted:

If it helps, whenever you see him, try to remember him talking about female staffers giving blowjobs in the boardroom, or maybe rating their attractiveness with numbers, and telling them to twirl for their male colleagues. :) Trump is, at his heart, as repulsive and vomit-inducing as 'if I knew pretending to be trans would get me into the girls' locker room, I would have discovered my inner woman long ago' Huckabee. He's fine as long as he's insulting other politicians. No further than that, though.

I haven't heard about any of this and I can't find any sources for it online. Are you sure you're not confusing him with Mark Ames?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
A little service announcement from The Donald, just FYI.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

richardfun posted:

A little service announcement from The Donald, just FYI.

roll tide

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Watching JEB!? utterly fail to deal with the anchor baby thing is great. He looks so drat petulant.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

FAUXTON posted:

It's like a 19th century standoff where everyone is paralyzed by a pressing need to keep their powder dry.

Boy is that a nice metaphor.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Excelzior posted:

we do need to end this illegal occupation of New Amsterdam

In the words of president Josiah Bartlett: can we have it back please?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah there's a lot of great things in that article.

quote:

If Bush was using a butter knife against Trump, Rand Paul has taken out a machete. The senator from Kentucky, who tangled with Trump at the Aug. 6 debate, labeled him a “chameleon” and accused him of exploiting the tea party. His campaign released a video mashing up old TV clips of Trump sounding like a liberal.

Privately, Paul repeatedly mocks Trump, and he has marveled at how easily baited the reality television star has been, according to associates.

Paul and Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.), who are running insurgent campaigns, are seen as having the most to lose from Trump. But the two senators have taken opposite approaches to him.

Cruz, positioning himself to inherit Trump’s support should the front-runner collapse, has hectored the media for their interest in his possible breaks with Trump and endorsed Trump’s call to end “birthright citizenship” for the children of undocumented immigrants.

Cruz also has cultivated a chummy relationship with the developer. During a meeting at Trump Tower in New York last month, Cruz invited Trump to visit the U.S.-Mexico border. “Be my guest, and we’ll go together,” he told Trump, according to Cruz spokesman Rick Tyler.

An additional presence in the be-like-Trump camp is Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who has fallen behind Trump in must-win Iowa and nationally and is lunging to the right to win back grass-roots activists.

Trying to channel Trump’s anti-establishment anger, Walker spiced up his talking points on the stump this week and embraced Trump’s immigration plan by saying that he also wants to build a wall along the southern border and would support ending birthright citizenship.

quote:

Doug Gross, a top Republican in Iowa, said, “It’s the ones who won’t win anyway, I suppose, who can take the gloves off. Those who have a chance of winning don’t want to engage with a megalomaniac with a billion dollars.”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I haven't heard about any of this and I can't find any sources for it online. Are you sure you're not confusing him with Mark Ames?

Its all over the internet.

quote:

Mahsa Saeidi-Azcuy, a former Brooklyn assistant district attorney who was “fired” from NBC’s business game show last Thursday — after first being forced out of her day job for not disclosing her stint on the NBC program — charged that Trump lavishes attention on the women contestants he finds attractive, makes sexist remarks, and asks the male contestants to rate the women.

“So much of the boardroom discussion concerned the appearance of the female contestants — discussing the female contestants’ looks — who he found to be hot,” Saeidi-Azcuy alleged.

“He asked the men to rate the women — he went down the line and asked the guys, ‘Who’s the most beautiful on the women’s team?’ ”

Gene Folkes, a 46-year-old financial adviser who spent a decade in the US Air Force, said he was one of the male contestants who began to squirm when the real-estate magnate turned the subject to the women’s appearance.

“I think it was most uncomfortable when he had one [female] contestant come around the board table and twirl around,” Folkes said.

http://nypost.com/2010/11/02/fired-losers-lash-sexist-trump/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Yeah there's a lot of great things in that article.

The fact that Donald Trump has made Rand Paul go on full tilt brings much joy to me

I bet more Ron Paul supporters are currently Trump supporters than Rand fans

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Oh. Well, that's deeply unsurprising :(

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

my bony fealty posted:

The fact that Donald Trump has made Rand Paul go on full tilt brings much joy to me

I bet more Ron Paul supporters are currently Trump supporters than Rand fans

Well yeah, I imagine most of them are voting age now.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

This is like article #3,412 that tells a truth about Trump, yet will have absolutely no impact on his popularity.

He is chumping the hell out of every other candidate and the media because they all think there's a rulebook and a set of standards and a level of dignity that American presidential candidates must meet and maintain, but there obviously isn't. All you really need is a fuckton of cash. That's it. Trump is not exagerating when he calls these people losers. They're a bunch of loving babies who are used to swimming in a kiddie pool of horserace insider baseball bullshit, and he has filled that pool with gasoline and weird hair products and lit it up.

They were and still are utterly unprepared to deal with him. The American electoral process has been a sham for so long, I'm at least grateful for his candidacy for exposing it this effectively.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

This is a guy that literally bought a beauty pageant, why anyone is surprised that Trump objectifies women is beyond me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why won't Huckabee outright say he wants a one state solution? As an American I say that's fine - just make sure it is a secular state and everyone has full citizenship. But Huckabee wants the worst of America - theocratic enclaves fighting off savages - gently caress that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm glad someone is saying it, even if it's blindingly obvious.

You also can't go negative on Trump. It's impossible.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Man, what a glorious mess. The Republicans have created a monster - if they unleash the attack ads against Trump it will just feed into the persecuted underdog/anti-government mentality they have spent so much time fostering.

Donald Trump will be the nominee, because he has them by the balls. If they don't nominate him, he'll just run 3rd party out of pettiness. They're screwed either way. :allears:

Trump has opened the floodgates: from now on the presidential elections will be contested by reality TV stars. Who needs qualifications when you got name recognition? USA! USA!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
In lighter news, Conan seeks to raise the support of erstwhile lover of all things metric Lincoln Chafee. The goal? To go from 0%, to 1% Can America make it happen?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

So someone who just got fired, claims that Trump likes pretty girls.

Insightful

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Trump on stage looks like Casanova flirting with the nth girl that night and he could take it or leave it. The other candidates look like virgins trying to remember the correct words to say to a girl in the hopes that she'll smile at them.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a dedicated predictit thread?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What are the words? Please god tell me. I just want Megyn to look at me, just once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Dahn posted:

So someone who just got fired, claims that Trump likes pretty girls.

Insightful

Yeah dude noted beauty pagent owner and guy who got cheers for defending calling women disgusting slobs deffo gets the benefit of the doubt on this one.

greatn posted:

What are the words? Please god tell me. I just want Megyn to look at me, just once.

well I guess in Megans case its "I will support one of these men on stage"

• Locked thread