Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toxxupation posted:

1) CN doesn't own both properties

I guess I was confused by the fact both of them air on CN.
I don't know a lot about how IPs work tho.

As far as the dissonance goes obviously you wouldn't have a good episode of both shows but I think you could have a good Rick and Morty ep if you let the team completely have their way with the characters (as they did with the Simpsons).
It can be funny and fun to see normally family friendly characters acting out of character or confronted with situations out of their element as long as it doesn't happen too often (which, admittedly, it frequently does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Rick and Morty starring in a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Toxxupation posted:

1) CN doesn't own both properties

True but Turner Broadcasting owns CN and AS

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

TontoCorazon posted:

Also when The Flintstones met The Jetsons.

TontoCorazon posted:

Also when Scooby Doo met the WWE apparently.

And when the Flintstones met the WWE

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

Oh god. What's happening to me? Is this...is this what bleedin' to death is? Oh wee. Is this how I die? W-why would you do this...Beth? It's not supposed to hurt, I...I thought. Ooh wee.

why this show is the best. ooh wee, every one. :fishmech:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like a Zim/Rick and Morty might happen someday, considering ONI Press publishes the comics for both. Someone on the toilet will come up with the idea and write it. Just like how Alien Vs Predator came to be. (I'm not making a joke. A dude flat out said he came up with the idea while he was taking a poo poo)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This show is amazing. I fell in love with it at the scammer simulation episode, especially when Rick blew them up with a cesium bomb, and they didn't bother to explain the joke.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I can see a Scooby-Doo opening where rick solved the mystery insults the gang and portals out only for a real monster to show up. Which would all take place in less than 3 minutes.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Strobe posted:

The problem with that is both Family Guy and American Dad are garbage.

Try watching any Seth McFarlane show without seeing the first 5-10 minutes. Vast improvement.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

VideoTapir posted:

Try watching any Seth McFarlane show without seeing the first 5-10 minutes. Vast improvement.
Yeah, the standard structure of any show he makes is "characters do dumb poo poo for the first third or so of the episode, somehow setting up the second half. Once the second half starts, the stuff from the first half never comes up again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, the standard structure of any show he makes is "characters do dumb poo poo for the first third or so of the episode, somehow setting up the second half. Once the second half starts, the stuff from the first half never comes up again.

This is any different from The Simpsons how?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

This show is amazing. I fell in love with it at the scammer simulation episode, especially when Rick blew them up with a cesium bomb, and they didn't bother to explain the joke.

I think that episode is the best starter episode to introduce the show with. It's got all the hallmarks of R&M without anything too weird or unrelatable. Plus Jerry's B story is probably the best B story so far.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This is any different from The Simpsons how?

Classic era Simpsons often had a first act that introduced the main story for the second and third act, but a lot of Family Guy (and non-classic Simpsons) episodes go from point A to B to C to D to etc

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think that episode is the best starter episode to introduce the show with. It's got all the hallmarks of R&M without anything too weird or unrelatable. Plus Jerry's B story is probably the best B story so far.
My first introduction to Rick and Morty was catching Rick Potion #9 just randomly and uhhhh...that definitely got me sticking around. No idea if it would've been better if I saw it after knowing the characters better or how it felt to people who had been following it, but it definitely stuck with me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JT Jag posted:

Don't forget "Start with one or more characters watching TV so we can start with a joke unrelated to anything"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Somehow held off until last night, and binged all four.

I liked parts of the first three episodes, and would give them solid B's compared solely to other Rick and Morty Season 1 episodes. Overall though I didn't detect a quantum leap forward, just some good stuff with great gags like Rick's inter-gear surgery and everything to do with Jerryland. The deer subplot was pretty weak though.

Then everything about Total Rickall blew me away, and the ending had me throwing money off my balcony in a faint hope that it was go find Justin Roiland. So goddamn good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Applewhite posted:

I guess I was confused by the fact both of them air on CN.
I don't know a lot about how IPs work tho.

As far as the dissonance goes obviously you wouldn't have a good episode of both shows but I think you could have a good Rick and Morty ep if you let the team completely have their way with the characters (as they did with the Simpsons).
It can be funny and fun to see normally family friendly characters acting out of character or confronted with situations out of their element as long as it doesn't happen too often (which, admittedly, it frequently does).

For reasons having to do with marketing and corporate nonsense Adult Swim and Cartoon Network are different networks that air on the same channel at different times. It's not something you see often anymore but it works well for their target demos, so CN execs have no control over AS programming and vice versa. They are both owned by Turner, but considering the way things work there I wouldn't consider any sort of crossover possible (which is also why the fact that Toonami got a Batman show was really strange).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

might have been mentioned, but this was a groovy crossover:

Venture bros and scooby doo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love how every time Rick is listing the members of the family he lists Summer last.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like a Zim/Rick and Morty might happen someday, considering ONI Press publishes the comics for both. Someone on the toilet will come up with the idea and write it. Just like how Alien Vs Predator came to be. (I'm not making a joke. A dude flat out said he came up with the idea while he was taking a poo poo)

Maybe in comic book form. I don't see it happening in terms of the show, though.

I could see JV directing an episode or designing monsters for one or something, though. He did one for Bravest Warriors, and RnM seems right in his wheelhouse.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TontoCorazon posted:

Also when The Flintstones met The Jetsons.

you guys ever notice how the Flintstones are blue-collar and the Jetsons are white-collar?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The new terminator reminded me of rick and morty for a moment when "pops" says "he's still alive, that means you can mate with him in this timeline"

Like they had to go through a couple timelines

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fister Roboto posted:

Aw jeeze that went over my head. I heard "plutonic quartz" and said okay fake science, can turn off brain now watch boom haha colors"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Watching this episode for the Nth time, Summer has the highest kill count in the parasite massacre.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Krinkle posted:

Aw jeeze that went over my head. I heard "plutonic quartz" and said okay fake science, can turn off brain now watch boom haha colors"

So....what is the joke?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

So....what is the joke?

Cs-137

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4pQz3TC0Jo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

a cop posted:

There was a good crossover once but I can't remember it.

Batman vs. Judge Dredd was loving amazing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

boom boom boom posted:

Batman vs. Judge Dredd was loving amazing

What a cool callback.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Holy poo poo that works on so many levels.

...at least two!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Did you just google a video without watching it? That one is about how they hosed up and failed to film it, in high speed!

Basically any metal on the far left of the periodic table of the elements hates being in an elemental form. It wants to burn. The lower down you go the more they loving hate being alone. Sodium will light on fire sedately if you drop it in water. Hey i'm on fire no big deal. Cesium will explode in a gently caress YESS OXIDATION orgy. There's less than .07 pounds of francium on earth but you would not want to be in the same room as that .07 lbs when the scientists lifted the bell jar and let matter, any kind, touch it.

Whatever plutonic quartz is, it doesn't enjoy being exploded. The ceseum + water was the detonator for the ship destroying fake science explosion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I thought he said plutonic quarks.

Either way it's nonsense.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Krinkle posted:

Did you just google a video without watching it? That one is about how they hosed up and failed to film it, in high speed!

No, I just went for the first video that showed cesium exploding. Still pretty violent even with it hosed up.

Fine, whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvVUtpdK7xw

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Entropic posted:

I thought he said plutonic quarks.

Either way it's nonsense.

Would make sense as it's a liquid and not crystals he pours in the bucket.

VideoTapir posted:

No, I just went for the first video that showed cesium exploding. Still pretty violent even with it hosed up.

Fine, whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvVUtpdK7xw
I'm sorry buddy I didn't mean to rustle your jimmies. It's just that all the powdered cesium burnt up on the way to the water so there was no satisfying fireball.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Moltrey posted:

My first introduction to Rick and Morty was catching Rick Potion #9 just randomly and uhhhh...that definitely got me sticking around. No idea if it would've been better if I saw it after knowing the characters better or how it felt to people who had been following it, but it definitely stuck with me.

This was my first intro to R&M as well. It was... definitely something.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they stop naming episodes with "Rick" and "Morty" word puns because it makes it hard to remember which episode is which.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I hope they stop naming episodes with "Rick" and "Morty" word puns because it makes it hard to remember which episode is which.

I hope they keep doing it just to gently caress with you.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Let's see:

1. Pilot
2. Lawnmower Dog
3. Anatomy Park
4. M. Night Shaym-Aliens!
5. Meeseeks and Destory
6. Raising Gazorpazorp
7. Auto-Erotic Assimilation
8. Get Schwifty

All other episodes have some variation of Rick or Morty in their title.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Funkmaster General posted:

Maybe in comic book form. I don't see it happening in terms of the show, though.

I could see JV directing an episode or designing monsters for one or something, though. He did one for Bravest Warriors, and RnM seems right in his wheelhouse.

I'd want it in the comics only.

And the Rick and Morty comics are not that bad! Some are pretty good!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

a shameful boehner posted:

Let's see:

1. Pilot
2. Lawnmower Dog
3. Anatomy Park
4. M. Night Shaym-Aliens!
5. Meeseeks and Destory
6. Raising Gazorpazorp
7. Auto-Erotic Assimilation
8. Get Schwifty

All other episodes have some variation of Rick or Morty in their title.

That spells PLAMMRAG

It deepens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Saw this comment on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/3h9xcl/so_uhhh_mr_poopy_butt_hole/cu6asnh

tl;dr: the ending of the episode is a fake memory, Mr. Poopybutthole is a parasite. the 'rule' is that the parasite has to be remembered fondly, not that the fake memory has to be a positive one.

• Locked thread