Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

I used to think AST weapons would be the coolest, because you'd whack enemies with the astrolabe. But then HW released and you're just doing paper cuts with cards. It's cool, but it's not nearly as cool as whacking a guy with your big, fat tome.

WHM and SCH are actually in a pretty good spot right now. SCH has slightly more single target DPS, and WHM has this hilarious AOE burst in the form of holy spam under presence of mind. It amounts to a hilarious amount of dps on just two targets, and just goes up from there. It's not something you use often due to MP constraints, but when you use it, it feels the best.

It used to be way better before holy got nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I don't get why holy and flare got nerfed while bane got buffed. Holy is still better aoe, but now it's just slightly better, as opposed to *laughs maniacally* better.

I think with the introduction of stone 3, single target WHM dps is on par now though? It's just that unlike SCH, they don't have infinite MP while dpsing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Truga posted:

Yeah, I don't get why holy and flare got nerfed while bane got buffed.

Bane has similar limitations to Holy/Flare, though and it was super poo poo that it didn't work on more than three targets or whatever in 2.x.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe they could go in the other direction and give some DPS classes the ability to heal or tank moderately well.

This is basically how support classes worked in Rift. I'd love to see a support role added to this someday, especially since I think it would be easier to add a lot of beloved classes if they didn't have to limit themselves to the usual trinity. If they don't expand somehow, I imagine it's going to get pretty rough trying to add new classes and keep them balanced while still playing differently from each other.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You mean like BRD or MCH? :v:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

That was in one of the live letters IIRC and they said they don't have any intention of deviating from dps/tank/healer.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

They will not deviate from the trifecta, nor will they require anyone to do anything beyond tanking, healing or DPSing within their roles in content. However, you will not be able to beat the hardest content in less than 5 item levels below the maximum available without having additional DPS from tanks and/or healers. Which means that if you can do more than the basics of your role, you get to challenge and beat the hardest content. Otherwise, wait in line you scrub

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Kinda sucks to get LLDR where one person is brand new and the others just rush in without talking and completely ignore proper tanking and such so the new person doesn't learn a drat thing.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Truga posted:

Yeah, I don't get why holy and flare got nerfed while bane got buffed. Holy is still better aoe, but now it's just slightly better, as opposed to *laughs maniacally* better.

I think with the introduction of stone 3, single target WHM dps is on par now though? It's just that unlike SCH, they don't have infinite MP while dpsing?

WHM dps is higher or at least more bursty but wrecks their management and is much more dependant on accuracy

We have our whm dps full-time during hand check for example

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's really cool and good and a unique aspect of this game that tanks and healers are actually hybrid DPS classes.

Maybe they could go in the other direction and give some DPS classes the ability to heal or tank moderately well.

I must confess that I'm still learning when it's okay to flip to Sword Oath when doing Roulettes.

I am the pubshit :negative:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Encounters are designed around healers dealing a certain amount of damage though so nerfing healer damage could cause larger problems.

Sorry to bring this up from the last page, but isn't this straight-up not true? I could've sworn the quote was that fights were balanced for 80% of four DPS classes output at a certain item level, and that the reason bleeding edge groups get it done at a lower item level is because they squeeze as much damage as possible out of their healers.

Honestly I'm just like, whatever about healers DPSing, but I haven't touched the highest level raids in this game since my Binding Coil static fell apart, so it's not a big deal for me. It does crack me up when I'm in a roulette and someone gets really upset about a healer not DPSing, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Moldy Taxes posted:

Sorry to bring this up from the last page, but isn't this straight-up not true? I could've sworn the quote was that fights were balanced for 80% of four DPS classes output at a certain item level, and that the reason bleeding edge groups get it done at a lower item level is because they squeeze as much damage as possible out of their healers.

Honestly I'm just like, whatever about healers DPSing, but I haven't touched the highest level raids in this game since my Binding Coil static fell apart, so it's not a big deal for me. It does crack me up when I'm in a roulette and someone gets really upset about a healer not DPSing, though.

That was true of Binding Coil. Alex Savage is tuned to expect your healers to DPS.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Any game that you have DPS checks and enrage timers in the fights, you will have people getting every bit of DPS possible out of the group. It's only natural to have healers do as much damage as they can while keeping the group alive too.

The only valid complaint about healer DPS should be the lack of accuracy for healers. WoW handled it by giving a passive trait that converted spirit into accuracy. That would be best, maybe a class trait. Putting some accuracy on gear is alright but not the best solution. Nobody likes stats on gear that is only useful sometimes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pews posted:

Nobody likes stats on gear that is only useful sometimes.

This is true of all accuracy on all gear though.

At least they removed accuracy from weapons.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Accuracy feels like a pointless stat that only serves to say "no, you will NOT deal damage in this fight!".

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kibner posted:

Accuracy feels like a pointless stat that only serves to say "no, you will NOT deal damage in this fight!".

The point of accuracy is to make gearing decisions difficult. I think they could probably find a better means of doing that, but here we are.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Moldy Taxes posted:

A cool thing to remember is that when devs say one thing they tend to do the complete opposite. They also said they didn't know crafted gear would be useful, or undershot the potential of jobs in raids multiple times. poo poo also gets translated badly a lot, I suspect. Bottom line is that cutting edge raiders are the authority of what you need to do to clear, not the devs.

You need 6100 DPS for A3S and 6400 from A4S, those aren't far off dummy parse numbers in current gear, you are not getting anywhere without significant healer DPS and honestly the last 2 fights are so highly tuned I doubt people who half rear end dps can even do this in full i210.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Captain Oblivious posted:

That was true of Binding Coil. Alex Savage is tuned to expect your healers to DPS.

Nope.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125732 posted:

Game Watch: At one point it was decided that Holy was too strong for white mage and it was weakened. Despite that, you're adding additional attack actions besides Holy, were these new abilities added to give some of that capability back?

Yoshida: No, that's not it.

Game Watch: So you expect it to go up overall?

Yoshida: Yes. Since all DPS jobs will be increasing up through level 60, it makes sense to have the white mage's DPS extend by a proportional amount as well. For development, such as with Bahamut's Coils, the development team assumes what the item level should be for general equipment on players when they clear a raid. They sum up the basic DPS for four DPS and tanks at that assumed item level and cut that by about 10-15% for the minimum clear DPS. Healer DPS is not taken into account when this is set.

Certainly for people who are at world's first level, their goal is to clear it at as low an item level as possible, lower than the one assumed during development. So if you look at the fight and figure out that if it's not numerically possible to clear with four DPS and tanks, you'll need to make up the gap with DPS from healers. Then when those publish clear videos and other people see the healers DPSing, they might think that healers need to be DPSing even though its a situation that only arose because their clear would have otherwise been impossible. While we could take this into account, and assume a different item level in the next update which would then make it impossible to clear even with the healer DPS, we'd eliminate this type of play for highly skilled players who use communication, items, and a high level of understanding to come up with those last second clears. That would be a tough decision to make, so I still think it should be up to each party's own plans.

This is also one of the reasons we decided to implement both a normal and savage version of Alexander. Once again, healer DPS was not included in the development team's calculation as it was for other jobs, so you should just think of healer DPS as a last way to get your overall party's DPS up to where it needs to be.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fishious posted:

A cool thing to remember is that when devs say one thing they tend to do the complete opposite. They also said they didn't know crafted gear would be useful, or undershot the potential of jobs in raids multiple times. poo poo also gets translated badly a lot, I suspect. Bottom line is that cutting edge raiders are the authority of what you need to do to clear, not the devs.

I'm totally in agreement that at the current item level people are rocking, they need to eek out as much damage as possible from the healers. But in five months if I'm running an A1S learning party in a group full of i215s and the dragoon doing less DPS than my warrior starts getting belligerent, calling out the healers for not hitting stuff and citing bleeding edge strats, I'm gonna let him go.

e: ^ that's the quote I was looking for. Thanks.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 21, 2015

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
OK thanks to the help here I'm not longer wearing a subligar on my guy Doobies Dogs http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/11977903/

My question now is: should I bother doing the daily MSQ duty roulette for those marks? In Mor Dhana at least all of it seems to be level 50 stuff. Are those marks worth anything at level 60? Same question for level 50 hunts. Should I bother doing them?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Failboattootoot posted:

The point of accuracy is to make gearing decisions difficult. I think they could probably find a better means of doing that, but here we are.

This might matter if we had more then 2 pieces per slot(Hell there's not even a choice regarding the ring slot) and gear maybe did stuff other than makes numbers bigger.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

Broil chews through mana.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
stone 3 and broil cost the same amount of mp

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Not only do I find Hildebrand to be a waste of development time, but I think the inclusion of classic FF references in such a poorly written, poorly thought out event is a bastardization of the characters many of us hold dear. That isn't even to scrape the surface of Hildebrand's father entering the storyline and having SE force the homonormative privileges of today's tumblr generation upon the FFXIV community.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

Broil chews through mana.

And energy drains+aetherflows top it right back up.

I mean, sure, if you spam broil a lot you will run out, but it's not nearly as bad as on a WHM in my experience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Technogeek posted:

Not only do I find Hildebrand to be a waste of development time, but I think the inclusion of classic FF references in such a poorly written, poorly thought out event is a bastardization of the characters many of us hold dear. That isn't even to scrape the surface of Hildebrand's father entering the storyline and having SE force the homonormative privileges of today's tumblr generation upon the FFXIV community.

It's true, Godbert turned me gay

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I must confess that I'm still learning when it's okay to flip to Sword Oath when doing Roulettes.

I am the pubshit :negative:

Usually it's safe when you're only fighting one mob. Alternatively, if your healer is being good and DPSing a lot, consider leaving your tank stance on so he can DPS more.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Holy being uncapped would definitely make WHM the king of A2S.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Technogeek posted:

having SE force the homonormative privileges of today's tumblr generation upon the FFXIV community.

D...did they just basically call Godbert a f-ay-double eggo-ought without using the word, somehow making it way, way worse? :psyduck:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Eej posted:

Holy being uncapped would definitely make WHM the king of A2S.

As it stands, Bane+SF+Blizz2 on the large packs sure is fun.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

WobblySausage posted:

OK thanks to the help here I'm not longer wearing a subligar on my guy Doobies Dogs http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/11977903/

My question now is: should I bother doing the daily MSQ duty roulette for those marks? In Mor Dhana at least all of it seems to be level 50 stuff. Are those marks worth anything at level 60? Same question for level 50 hunts. Should I bother doing them?

Poetics are pretty much useless at the current endgame. The only reasons I'd bother to farm poetics at this point:

- Glamours
- Relic weapon upgrade (achievements and glamours)
- Minions

Poetics gear, even when upgraded, gets outdated by around Lv55 when stuff at i130 and above starts showing up in dungeons. So I wouldn't deliberately seek out poetics just for gearing. However, if you have extra poetics to burn after many rounds of other activities that just happen to drop poetics (roulettes, hunts, etc.) then by all means grab some gear.

MSQ roulette now gives a decent chunk of experience as a daily reward on top of the extra soldiery. Feel free to run it daily until you get sick of bad Castrum runs.

Edit: Oh right, you also asked about 2.x hunts. There's some unique items/minions you can get only with Allied Seals so feel free to just do the weekly B-rank hunt and then cash in whenever you see something you want to buy.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

D...did they just basically call Godbert a f-ay-double eggo-ought without using the word, somehow making it way, way worse? :psyduck:

And somehow managed to not make it the worst part of that post.

I'm torn between being impressed and terrified.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Every now and then I see people with weapons that have particle effects. Are those relic weapons?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Quite a few of them are, but there are also non-relic weapons with particle effects.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Etrips posted:

Every now and then I see people with weapons that have particle effects. Are those relic weapons?

Most of them are, but there's also crafted variants of the Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, and Good King Moggle Mog XII hard mode drops that have particle effects. (Also upgraded Shiva Extreme weapons -- not sure about Leviathan, though.)

EDIT: Apparently the Tidal Wave weapons do indeed have particle effects.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Technogeek posted:

Most of them are, but there's also crafted variants of the Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, and Good King Moggle Mog XII hard mode drops that have particle effects. (Also upgraded Shiva Extreme weapons -- not sure about Leviathan, though.)

EDIT: Apparently the Tidal Wave weapons do indeed have particle effects.

How do you upgrade those? I got the blm and whm shiva staffs because the ice effect is kool as hell.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also the 110 PVP weapons have particle effects iirc

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

How do you upgrade those? I got the blm and whm shiva staffs because the ice effect is kool as hell.

Run Shiva EX five times. You get a Diamond Dust for each successful clear. Trade the True Ice weapon plus five dust to Aelina in Mor Dhona (the Remarkable Rarities category) for the equivalent Diamond weapon.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

Poetics are pretty much useless at the current endgame. The only reasons I'd bother to farm poetics at this point:

- Glamours
- Relic weapon upgrade (achievements and glamours)
- Minions

Poetics gear, even when upgraded, gets outdated by around Lv55 when stuff at i130 and above starts showing up in dungeons. So I wouldn't deliberately seek out poetics just for gearing. However, if you have extra poetics to burn after many rounds of other activities that just happen to drop poetics (roulettes, hunts, etc.) then by all means grab some gear.

MSQ roulette now gives a decent chunk of experience as a daily reward on top of the extra soldiery. Feel free to run it daily until you get sick of bad Castrum runs.

Edit: Oh right, you also asked about 2.x hunts. There's some unique items/minions you can get only with Allied Seals so feel free to just do the weekly B-rank hunt and then cash in whenever you see something you want to buy.

Thanks. That may be something I just go back and do (minus the MSQ roulette) after hitting 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Upgraded Levi weapons have a nice fluid-y glow.

• Locked thread