Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hakkesshu posted:

It's too bad we'll probably never get the best version of EotB, which was on the SegaCD with a soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqLs4Iu9xc

Wow, that's the version I played (and loved to hell) back in the day. Are you telling me the PC one doesn't have (good) music? Because, dang, can't imagine exploring those floors without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I am so happy that the Gold Box games are finally on GOG.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Huh, I thought this sounded familiar - I have the Forgotten Realms D&D Silver Archives thing on CDROM, and Menzoberranzan and Dungeon Hack were included with the Gold Box games in that set. Guess they had to negotiate separately for those.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, that's the version I played (and loved to hell) back in the day. Are you telling me the PC one doesn't have (good) music? Because, dang, can't imagine exploring those floors without it.

Nah, IIRC the PC version doesn't have any music, so you could theoretically have this track running in the background and achieve the same effect.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I laughed way too hard at that screenshot for the EotB collection that features "imaqtpie" the warrior.

Edit: Haha, I just noticed the "Fat Lb" too. Whoever took that screenshot must be into League of Legends.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 20, 2015

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

If they bring out ravenloft and dragonlance packs I can die a happy man.
Are there any classic rpg titles left I am missing?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Eulisker posted:

Dark Heart of Uukrul
The Magic Candle series and generally everything by Mindcraft.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Eulisker posted:

The Dark Sun games. Technically I think they aren't part of the Gold Box collection even if they're made on the same (or at least a similar) engine. I think they made a Spelljammer game in that same vein, too. Also Al-Qadim

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

There is also a game from the same era called Prophecy of the Shadow we may see soon if they've secured all these. Plus Spelljammer.

Also, the Mega Traveler and Battletech games have never been rereleased anywhere, right?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
There's also two Buck Rogers gold box games.

As far as non-SSI games go, I have fond memories of Planet's Edge (although I really don't know how that would hold up today).

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

There is also a game from the same era called Prophecy of the Shadow we may see soon if they've secured all these. Plus Spelljammer.

Also, the Mega Traveler and Battletech games have never been rereleased anywhere, right?

The Battletech ones are in license hell (though probably not as bad as NOLF) - Half were Activision (now Activision-Blizzard) and half were Microprose (which went to Infogrames/Atari via Hasbro, then sold to Legacy Engineering, then to someone called Cybergun). All were licensed from FASA (which shut down in 2001, properties sold to WizKids, who are owned by Topps; the licenses were subcontracted out to FanPro and then Catalyst Game Labs) but most of the non-board games were done through FASA Interactive (which was bought by Microsoft, shut down and the IPs sold off to Smith & Tinker, who sold it to Piranha Games). Sony might be involved as well (MW3 was by Zipper Interactive, one of theirs). Oh, and Electronic Arts, since the Crescent Hawk games were by Westwood.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tempest_56 posted:

The Battletech ones are in license hell (though probably not as bad as NOLF) - Half were Activision (now Activision-Blizzard) and half were Microprose (which went to Infogrames/Atari via Hasbro, then sold to Legacy Engineering, then to someone called Cybergun). All were licensed from FASA (which shut down in 2001, properties sold to WizKids, who are owned by Topps; the licenses were subcontracted out to FanPro and then Catalyst Game Labs) but most of the non-board games were done through FASA Interactive (which was bought by Microsoft, shut down and the IPs sold off to Smith & Tinker, who sold it to Piranha Games). Sony might be involved as well (MW3 was by Zipper Interactive, one of theirs). Oh, and Electronic Arts, since the Crescent Hawk games were by Westwood.

Jesus. Are you an IP lawyer? How would you keep track of all that mess?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Doesn't Harmony Gold also own some of the mech designs as well?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bruteman posted:

Huh, I thought this sounded familiar - I have the Forgotten Realms D&D Silver Archives thing on CDROM, and Menzoberranzan and Dungeon Hack were included with the Gold Box games in that set. Guess they had to negotiate separately for those.

I basically have the physical collection that had all of these games in it. It was a small foldable series of silvery cardboard pouches, and I believe that it was just called "Forgotten Realms Archives". I looked at 13 games that came out today and they are the exact ones - no more, no less - that came in that collection, which can't be a coincidence.

Now I really want to see the other two games in the Menzoberranzan collection (Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet) as well as the three Dragonlance games in the Gold Box engine, not to mention all of the other ones mentioned in the last page or so.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I wish they released HeroQuest (1989) on GOG with all the expansions and ready to play. You can get it as "abandonware" or "freeware" but GOG Galaxy support and some goodies would own. Is there anything like that on GOG? Something really close to a tabletop game.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 20, 2015

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh hey, Eye of the Beholder. I remember playing the SNES version. Still have nightmares about those spiders.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guillermus posted:

I wish they released HeroQuest (1989) on GOG with all the expansions and ready to play. You can get it as "abandonware" or "freeware" but GOG Galaxy support and some goodies would own. Is there anything like that on GOG? Something really close to a tabletop game.

Could you link a screenshot or two of that? I'm not 100% sure to which game you are referring.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Just the ones that are stolen from animes.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
First: Does this include all the Gold Box games, or are any missing?

Second: I thought those games were tangled up in rights issues because Atari holds sole publishing rights to D&D until 2017 unless they renew them.

Edit: Apparently, the rights to Buck Rogers are owned by an individual - Lorraine Williams, former owner of TSR, Inc.

RadicalR posted:

Alright, sell me on this series. What makes it so good?

The Cartmanland effect. Years of unavailability and apparent rights issues made them look better and better over time. THeir actual quality, which I cannot speak for, became irrelevant.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BiggerJ posted:

First: Does this include all the Gold Box games, or are any missing?

Second: I thought those games were tangled up in rights issues because Atari holds sole publishing rights to D&D until 2017 unless they renew them.

It's missing the Dragonlance games and a couple of non-D&D games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Luigi Thirty posted:

Just the ones that are stolen from animes.

That will probably be enough to keep the game from seeing the digital light of day then, with how much of a stranglehold Harmony has on Macross over here.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Yeah, your favorite '90s mechs? They're all stolen from Macross so good luck releasing those games ever.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 21, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Testekill posted:

It's missing the Dragonlance games and a couple of non-D&D games.

Dragonlance was a different setting to Forgotten Realms so there might still be hope for it, and for the later Dark Sun and Ravenloft games.

Here's a list of SSI wishlist links.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

Dragonlance was a different setting to Forgotten Realms so there might still be hope for it, and for the later Dark Sun and Ravenloft games.

Here's a list of SSI wishlist links.

Yeah, it looks like this might be in waves or they were just able to get the rights to the Forgotten Realms games.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Testekill posted:

Yeah, it looks like this might be in waves or they were just able to get the rights to the Forgotten Realms games.

If Wizards of the Coast only let them have one setting and not trhe others then that's insane. Also, a GOG.com team member hinted that that's not the case.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

If Wizards of the Coast only let them have one setting and not trhe others then that's insane. Also, a GOG.com team member hinted that that's not the case.

Based on what that one staff member said, it sounds like they're releasing them in waves instead of being one gigantic release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Yeah, your favorite '90s mechs? They're all stolen from Macross so good luck releasing those games ever.

It's also what got Mechwarrior V strangled in the crib, because some idiot used one of the forbidden designs in the trailer. And in came Harmony Gold with their favourite toy - Lawyers.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm just so glad the Gold Box games are out there where you can buy them legitimately. So many dodgy copies floating around out there.

Only just finished Curse of the Azure Bonds for the first time ever the other day. That last dungeon/area was a load of bullshit let me tell you.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Could you link a screenshot or two of that? I'm not 100% sure to which game you are referring.

This one:
http://postimg.org/image/4bramc6z9/

(sorry for the lovely image uploader but imgurl and others aren't accesible due to the office's firewall)

Edit: looks like I was wrong, the one I linked you (1989) is the tabletop, I was refering to the 1991 by Gremlim Interactive one shown first on this site
http://www.heroquest.es/index.php?topic=7984.0

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 21, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm just so glad the Gold Box games are out there where you can buy them legitimately. So many dodgy copies floating around out there.

Only just finished Curse of the Azure Bonds for the first time ever the other day. That last dungeon/area was a load of bullshit let me tell you.

I've already bought the second pack. I never played Treasures of the Savage Frontier, any of the pool of radiance games past the original and I haven't even had a chance to try out Hillsfar. My dad used to have Unlimited Adventures, the first two Eye of the Beholder games and a couple of the gold box rpgs so this is a massive blast of nostalgia for me since I grew up playing the ones he had.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

The Cartmanland effect. Years of unavailability and apparent rights issues made them look better and better over time. THeir actual quality, which I cannot speak for, became irrelevant.

I mean not really. They were THE D&D games before Baldur's Gate came out, they aren't being built up into something more than that. They were good adaptations of the license using the tech that was around at the time, and they probably still play well outside of general UI stuff which can always be hard to go back to.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean not really. They were THE D&D games before Baldur's Gate came out, they aren't being built up into something more than that. They were good adaptations of the license using the tech that was around at the time, and they probably still play well outside of general UI stuff which can always be hard to go back to.

There is this mod/tool that looks helpful:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guillermus posted:

This one:
http://postimg.org/image/4bramc6z9/

(sorry for the lovely image uploader but imgurl and others aren't accesible due to the office's firewall)

Edit: looks like I was wrong, the one I linked you (1989) is the tabletop, I was refering to the 1991 by Gremlim Interactive one shown first on this site
http://www.heroquest.es/index.php?topic=7984.0

I actually had both of those in my head. The 1991 one I did not play, but I remember it. The '89 one, I remember trying it and, as I recall, I found out that it was an adaptation that was not a complete game, and buggy as hell? If the full game from '89 is out there, I'd love to know about it. HeroQuest was the type of board game that adapts very well to a video game.

Testekill posted:

Based on what that one staff member said, it sounds like they're releasing them in waves instead of being one gigantic release.

I read that link; nice tease. This made me very happy, with Ravenloft being not-mentioned specifically as Strahd's Possession, Menzoberranzan, and Stone Prophet are personal favourites of mine that I feel hold up well even today.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

The Dark Sun games. Technically I think they aren't part of the Gold Box collection even if they're made on the same (or at least a similar) engine. I think they made a Spelljammer game in that same vein, too. Also Al-Qadim

The Ravenloft games (especially Strahd's Possession, the other one less so) had the best atmosphere ever.

The Spelljammer game was awesome but I don't believe it was even the same engine as the Gold Box games.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

saucerman posted:

There is this mod/tool that looks helpful:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Wow, thanks. I might actually be able to tolerate Pool of Radiance again.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Somehow I don't remember the last area very well. I thought it was the battle featuring Bits of Moander, but apparently not. I remember an optional area that led to an encounter featuring a ton of beholders. That, too, was bullshit. Both times I heavily abused the cloud spells.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Jesus. Are you an IP lawyer? How would you keep track of all that mess?

I keep track because I'm a slightly obsessive twenty-plus year BT fan. But yeah, any one of the games being released is tough because some or all of the IP/code could be in the hands of three to eight different entities, half of which don't exist anymore and the others may not even be aware that they own it. There is hope, though - MechCommander was released into the wild as freeware by Microsoft a couple of years ago.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yep. As Luigi Thirty notes, there's the Unseen - most of the original mechs had their artwork taken from anime of the time. (Stolen isn't the right word - it's a complicated issue where there was confusion about who had the right to license use overseas, but it isn't worth going into in depth here.) This mostly affects Mechwarrior 1 and the Crescent Hawk games, since the court case was resolved in 1994, prior to the release of Mechwarrior 2. Later games don't use the Unseen, so it's a non-issue.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

Somehow I don't remember the last area very well. I thought it was the battle featuring Bits of Moander, but apparently not. I remember an optional area that led to an encounter featuring a ton of beholders. That, too, was bullshit. Both times I heavily abused the cloud spells.

It's the Mulmaster Beholder Corps, I think in Zentil Keep? It's been a long, long time since I've played Curse. The cheesiest way to beat it is to use the Dust of Disappearance just before you go through the secret door. Nothing attacks you, since the invisibility doesn't go away when you attack or cast a spell.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a mega mod/module pack or something for neverwinter nights 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
So does this mean they might be getting the Buck Rogers games? Because that would make me super happy.