Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

I believe him, but really this is just "no guys im definitely black, my mom was a cheating whore" in way more words, compared to Breitbarts birth certificate and police report photos

If you believe him what's the point of the second half of your sentence.

"I believe Bush didn't do 9/11, but really have you seen this Loose Change video they have a lot of proof and it is true that jet fuel can't melt steel beams"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

"I believe Bush didn't do 9/11, but really have you seen this Loose Change video they have a lot of proof and it is true that jet fuel can't melt steel beams"

He's just grasping at straws and hoping to spin it in a way that can make the BLM movement look bad. See also, the other half of his post.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I believe Obama was born in Hawaii, but that's just the President's Kenyan-born word compared to reports of Photoshop layers in his long form so-called birth certificate and Breitbart's discovery of this one book jacket that says he's Kenyan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I believe cops are on a power trip but what is it about all these blacks getting arrested?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

He's just grasping at straws and hoping to spin it in a way that can make the BLM movement look bad. See also, the other half of his post.

On the one hand, police are murdering people on camera and getting away with it, but on the other hand this one dude might be white so both sides are bad and maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

On the one hand, police are murdering people on camera and getting away with it, but on the other hand this one dude might be white so both sides are bad and maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?

I mean, the guy called his own mom a whore, so let's just pump the brakes on this whole police-not-shooting-unarmed-blacks thing.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Well that's my point, this being a thing at all makes them look bad, no spin needed.

VitalSigns posted:

Commentary on the weakness of his denial I guess?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

semper wifi posted:

Well that's my point, this being a thing at all makes them look bad, no spin needed.

So if there is controversy about a thing, that automatically lends credence to it and that it is a bad thing?

Yes or no.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How does this make BLM look bad. Be specific. Should they be administering the pencil test or measuring cranial shape, how exactly have they dropped the ball here.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The layers of weird meta poo poo and irony involved in attempting to "out" a black activist as being white to discredit them are really difficult and stressful to think about.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalman posted:

Reoffense rates, not reimprisonment rates, so the proportion of prison vs non-prison initial and later disposition doesn't matter. It seems like no matter where you go, roughly 40-50% of people who are punished for one crime will be punished for a subsequent crime as well. There are minor differences depending on initial punishment that might line up with what you're talking about, but they're hard to find data on that can actually be compared across countries and do appear to be fairly minor.

Ultimately I haven't seen anything to suggest that rehabilitation during punishment actually works (which surprised me - I assumed it would) but have seen data to suggest that changing their circumstances post-punishment does work.

(I recognize my language on it may have been imprecise and occasionally implied outcomes based only on those initially in prison, rather than on those initially punished, as I intended to say.)

Basically - if we had a choice between Norwegian style punishment with no guarantee of a job post prison, and American style punishment with a guaranteed job, data suggests the latter would be more effective.

I'd want to see breakdowns on violent vs nonviolent criminals (my guess would be that the former show less of a job bias than the latter) and similar, but the idea of "rehabilitative" punishments seems kind of questionable.

It's quite possible while they are re-offending, they are doing so with lesser crimes. If the person started off with bank robbery but later re-offended with shoplifting, I call that an improvement hence why those people are getting hit with fines rather than prison. It's not like a punitive system is doing any better and dollar for dollar the rehabilitative system is likely be more cost effective and humane.

For those arguing back and forth past each other on indefinite detention, here it's called Preventive Detention. It is reserved for the absolutely most heinous of crimes like Mass Murder or for people so psychologically disturbed reformation or treatment might not be possible. Unlike Life without parole, which is effectively one and done at sentencing(Stupid), if the person is indeed proven to been reformed or no longer a threat to society, it is possible for them to be released under supervision(Rare). Preventive Detention is a continuous process and is our heaviest "Punishment" we have(Murder gets you 20 years and will be served is parallel for multiple counts).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

The layers of weird meta poo poo and irony involved in attempting to "out" a black activist as being white to discredit them are really difficult and stressful to think about.

It kind of reminds me of those Phil Robertson or Cliven Bundy speeches from last year when they were talking about how happy and carefree blacks were before civil rights, and it's all white liberals getting them riled up.

See! Here's one that might be white, I told you whites were just making up all those videos of cops murdering people on camera!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

oohhboy posted:

It's quite possible while they are re-offending, they are doing so with lesser crimes. If the person started off with bank robbery but later re-offended with shoplifting, I call that an improvement hence why those people are getting hit with fines rather than prison. It's not like a punitive system is doing any better and dollar for dollar the rehabilitative system is likely be more cost effective and humane.

Except that the reoffense rates are based on people who initially were punished, not who were initially imprisoned, as I have noted several times.

So there's no actual evidence that your statement regarding "it's quite possible while they are re-offending, they are doing so with lesser crimes" is accurate. It's possible. It's also possible they're committing worse crimes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they were committing worse crimes they would be more likely to be imprisoned rather than fined. The types of crime is likely to be very different from the US where it is unlikely to warrant prison. The focus on re-offence rates is unless without context. Are the people despite re-offending better citizens? Remember, unlike the US, they aren't throwing people away to the winds nor the trash. Norway also has a social safety net so even without a job(Likely exploitive in the US), they do have an income. Crime is committed for different reasons and probability of detection also different. Are people handing themselves in, surrendering in place or pleading guilty because they know they will get fair treatment? If the types of crimes are of a lesser severity, less violent even if it is happening at the same rate, that's a win for society at large.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lotta ifs there with zero evidence for them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Whites made the rule of who black people are. You do not get to imagine that it is black people's job to come up with a different definition of it.

Jesus Christ this makes me feel genuinely annoyed and sad. Conservatives now see fit to turn on me, me exactly, and everyone like me. And this poor bastard finally broke down and posted an explanation--as if he had to explain himself--and it is far too revealing, and exactly what giggling Breitbart reader scum wanted to read; that his mom was a white tramp.

You liars, this is what you're coming out with? "Oh he's black? But now what about this speeding ticket? And how can we even know who this guy's dad is? Among her many paramours." :mrapig: Do you understand what depths of bigotry and shame you are plumbing?

When black kids come up to you and demand "are you mixed?" They see it right away. Some people don't see it though; a lot of the time, they're white people.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's what we do know about the US. You have three strikes laws, mandatory minimums, harsher sentences. It means you can't re-offend as you are taken out of circulation unless in prison crimes are counted as part of said stats. Your imprisonment rates are insane.

Then you have to take into account the social costs as imprisoning so many people for so long is expensive and is creating a lot of broken people.

Kalman posted:

Lotta ifs there with zero evidence for them.

Lotta focus on one stat without proper context.

If these compare stats in this link is even remotely accurate, Norway is doing up to hundreds of times better than the US. When Norway does do worse, it is on things like white collar crimes, drug use and theft of a non-violent nature. A number of stats have to be corrected for per capita for a proper comparison, however it doesn't get in the way of the fact that Norway has far better outcomes no matter how you twist it.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Norway/United-States/Crime

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Yeah but you need harsh sentences as a deterrent to homicide which is why Norway has a much lower homicide rate than the US. I mean... Hang on...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The homicide rate in Norway means jack poo poo considering it's vastly different size, location, and demographics compared to the US.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Py-O-My posted:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/20/1413881/-Race-love-hate-and-me-A-distinctly-American-story

In a surprise to noone with a functioning brain, this story is false and Breitbart is once again full of poo poo.

I dont think posting a blog post by one of the people involved counts as 'proof'

However this washington post article is quite good at disproving almost all of it instead:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...481440117711271

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

semper wifi posted:

Yes, being an anti-racist activist does look bad to racists without needing spin.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

-Troika- posted:

The homicide rate in Norway means jack poo poo considering it's vastly different size, location, and demographics compared to the US.

Right. That was very much a false causation argument.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Demographics I MIGHT give you (and will discuss more later but I'm on my way to work) but what the gently caress do size and location have to do with it?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Lets see. Response times of law enforcement distance to physical and mental health care viability of a public transportation system being able to transport people who are to poor or unable to drive to their care and many other things. Size and location do mater.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Melthir posted:

Lets see. Response times of law enforcement distance to physical and mental health care viability of a public transportation system being able to transport people who are to poor or unable to drive to their care and many other things. Size and location do mater.

To the tune of 0.6% vs 4.5%? You're going to have to back this up with more than just spitballing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Starshark posted:

Demographics I MIGHT give you (and will discuss more later but I'm on my way to work) but what the gently caress do size and location have to do with it?

Alaska has one of the highest murder rates in the US, and has a similar latitude, climate, and concentration of people near its southern borders. It is similarly predominantly white with enclaves of indigenous populations.

Now if by demographics we're talking about economic inequalities, well, what do you know - the criminal justice system in the US directly contributes to that.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 21, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Norway and the US have about equal urban/rural ratios (5:1) and urban growth rates (1.5%).

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Alaska has one of the highest murder rates in the US, and has a similar latitude, climate, and concentration of people near its southern borders. It is similarly predominantly white with enclaves of indigenous populations.

Now if by demographics we're talking about economic inequalities, well, what do you know - the criminal justice system in the US directly contributes to that.

???? I don't think that coming in 20th out of 50 qualifies as "one of the highest"

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dahn posted:

???? I don't think that coming in 20th out of 50 qualifies as "one of the highest"

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

My fault, was working from memory - its violent crime rate is one of the highest in the US (somebody's doing the raping), but the murder rate is in the middle of the pack.

Which is still nearly an order of magnitude higher than Norway though despite all of the similarities.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm not even convinced by the demographics argument. I think what's being unsaid is that America has a higher murder rate because of mixed races. I know Troika is going to say I'm putting words in his mouth, so if he doesn't like it maybe next time he can be more explicit in his arguments in tossing out one-liners. The race issue is what is usually brought up by his type when 'demographics' is invoked.

The UK has an 87% white population (compared to US 63%) with a history of colonialism and racism and racial antagonism towards its minorities. It's murder rate is 1 (US is 4.6-4.7 depending on who you ask). France has a similiar make up with a massive racist history especially towards its North African population, its murder rate is 1. So it needs to be explained why the US has nearly five times the rate of homicide with a 24% difference in racial make up. I'm seriously not convinced that demographics is the answer and anyone who says it is, is going to have to come up with more than one-liners.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My fault, was working from memory - it's violent crime rate is one of the highest in the US (somebody's doing the raping), but the murder rate is in the middle of the pack.

Which is still nearly an order of magnitude higher than Norway though despite all of the similarities.

There does seem to be a lot of raping going on there.
Highest in the nation with South Dakota a close second.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-does-alaska-have-such-a-high-rate-rape-2013-9

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You could look at the differences in levels of poverty between those countries for one idea.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Look everywhere but the police and criminal justice system, of course.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

You could look at the differences in levels of poverty between those countries for one idea.

Which is in part perpetuated by the criminal justice system, including the length and conditions of incarceration, lack of rehabilitation, and racial disparities with enforcement. So we've basically come around full circle.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which is in part perpetuated by the criminal justice system, including the length and conditions of incarceration, lack of rehabilitation, and racial disparities with enforcement. So we've basically come around full circle.

Don't forget literally stealing from the populace through fines and court fees like in Ferguson.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
And let's not forget what brought us here in the first place - AR's assertion that heavy sentences for murder are a deterrent. If so, why is America's homicide rate nearly five times the rate of the UK? As of 2013 the UK had 50 people serving a 'life means life' sentence while the US had 40 000 including 2 500 under the age of 18, not counting those facing the death penalty. Also not counting people serving ridiculous sentences like 200 years but technically not 'life means life' sentences.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22912075

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Starshark posted:

And let's not forget what brought us here in the first place - AR's assertion that heavy sentences for murder are a deterrent. If so, why is America's homicide rate nearly five times the rate of the UK? As of 2013 the UK had 50 people serving a 'life means life' sentence while the US had 40 000 including 2 500 under the age of 18, not counting those facing the death penalty. Also not counting people serving ridiculous sentences like 200 years but technically not 'life means life' sentences.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22912075

You are confusing general deterrence with specific deterrence. Long jail terms absolutely have a specific deterrent effect. That person is unable to continue his criminal conduct while he is incarcerated. The longer he is incarcerated for, the longer he is unable to recidivate.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ActusRhesus posted:

You are confusing general deterrence with specific deterrence. Long jail terms absolutely have a specific deterrent effect. That person is unable to continue his criminal conduct while he is incarcerated. The longer he is incarcerated for, the longer he is unable to recidivate.

So if it works so well we should be seeing lower murder rates, yeah?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We would have a 0% recidivism rate if we instituted the death penalty for every crime, makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Starshark posted:

So if it works so well we should be seeing lower murder rates, yeah?
You are confusing general deterrence with specific deterrence.

VitalSigns posted:

We would have a 0% recidivism rate if we instituted the death penalty for every crime, makes you think
Yes

• Locked thread