Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/08/north-korea-state-media-army-mobilised-150821003337584.html

Apparently Pyongyang is "mobilizing" their military in response to the shelling and has demanded South Korea cease broadcasting propaganda via loudspeakers across the DMZ or face military action. They have given Seoul 48 hours to comply. Or else. This time they mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
How often does this happen? Their threats always seem Super Serious You Guys! but then nothing major comes of it.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Seems like North Korea ramps up its rhetoric like this at least once a year.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KittenofDoom posted:

How often does this happen? Their threats always seem Super Serious You Guys! but then nothing major comes of it.
BBC news has this on the front page as of now. If tensions don't fall by Sunday, we could see the real thing.

And nukes. :gonk:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm going to bet on brinksmanship. The higher ups in North Korea have to know that an actual war would end with them either burned up by a JDAM or at the end of a rope afterwards.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Here's how it will go.

North Korea: "Back down or we'll start a war"

South Korea: "We didn't do anything"

North Korean media: Another victory for the peoples army.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

sparatuvs posted:

Here's how it will go.

North Korea: "Back down or we'll start a war"

South Korea: "We didn't do anything"

North Korean media: Another victory for the peoples army.

no but really this time they mean it

they even said it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Grouchio posted:

No we won't. Don't be an idiot (and don't poo poo up other threads)

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

BBC news has this on the front page as of now. If tensions don't fall by Sunday, we could see the real thing.

You seem sensationalist, nukes won't fly because of a radio broadcast.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
S. Korea warns strong retaliation amid prospect of further N. Korean attack
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2015/08/21/0200000000AEN20150821004751315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

North Korea is showing signs of launching a test of mid-range & ballistic missile in N. Pyeongan province
https://twitter.com/rConflictNews/status/634605647913467905

North Korea embassy in Beijing calling "emergency" press conference as DMZ situation escalates
https://twitter.com/rConflictNews/status/634615017887956992

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Grouchio posted:

is this the first year you've been following international politics? because this kind of thing happens about once a year

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I hope there's a war with cool explosions and poo poo, like in the movies. Oh please god, let it happen. I'm so ready to watch Seoul get nuked live on CNN to liven up my humdrum life.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I hope there's a war with cool explosions and poo poo, like in the movies. Oh please god, let it happen. I'm so ready to watch Seoul get nuked live on CNN to liven up my humdrum life.

it would totally change up the dota and starcraft metagame

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

So it seems likely this particular round of sabre rattling is more for domestic consumption in an attempt to shore up KJU's status, rather than one of their usual attempts to extort more food/money?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
That and he might need to get the generals out of Pyongyang for a bit, no better way than to make a contrived conflict over some speakers, when SK takes them down KJU will be able to play the victory against pig-dog card.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe he's hoping all the old bastards will collectively trip and break their hips.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

Roughly once a year, usually around this time of year. It's the North's way of reminding us they don't like the yearly US/SK military exercises.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Their harvest probably looks pretty bad or something and this is their way of getting additional food aid.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Artillery strikes on DMZ broadcasting stations will start in ~7 hours. Unless the broadcast cease. According to KJU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Something I found funny in the BBC News story on the North-South tensions:

quote:

Military authorities say days later the North also restarted its broadcasting of anti-South propaganda.

However, some reports said that the quality of the North Korean loudspeakers is so bad that it is difficult to understand what they are saying.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

sparatuvs posted:

Artillery strikes on DMZ broadcasting stations will start in ~7 hours. Unless the broadcast cease. According to KJU

Can't wait for the excuse they give when they lose that particular game of chicken.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

Can't wait for the excuse they give when they lose that particular game of chicken.

Yeah, President Park Geun-hye doesn't seem like the type to back down to a spoiled fat kid.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

North Korea does not have the ability to nuke anywhere that ain't within their own borders, just FYI.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

North Korea does not have the ability to nuke anywhere that ain't within their own borders, just FYI.

They could always drive a truck across the border and hope nobody will notice :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was going to make a joke about them rolling it downhill into South Korea.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

blowfish posted:

They could always drive a truck across the border and hope nobody will notice :v:

That's just silly. Now let me tell you about how they're going to load it onto a freight car and take it across from Kaesong by rail like maybe half a kilometer into the south before the ROK dynamite the tracks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Actually, what do we know about their ability to deploy nuclear devices or chemical/biological weapons beyond their borders? Bennett considered the absolute worst-case scenario to be if North Korea successfully attacked another country (possibly even the United States) with a nuclear weapon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually, what do we know about their ability to deploy nuclear devices or chemical/biological weapons beyond their borders? Bennett considered the absolute worst-case scenario to be if North Korea successfully attacked another country (possibly even the United States) with a nuclear weapon.

North Korea has some small nukes and they have some small missiles, but they haven't managed to figure out a way to put the two together to make anything resembling an ICBM.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Dropping a nuke would be the worst possible outcome for North Korea.

North Korea is already so severely outmatched by South Korea alone that were they to launch an attack, they would be quickly pushed back from whatever gains they made, especially since they're unlikely to achieve total surprise. In the aftermath, it's possible you'd see a Chinese puppet state set up, which might allow at least some of the ruling class to preserve and enrich themselves.

But if they launched a nuke, however or where ever they put it, that chance would be gone forever. The entire world would demand the utter removal of the Nork regime, and you'd probably see North Korea fully absorbed into South Korea, with any surviving officials being rounded up and thrown in jail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

North Korea has some small nukes and they have some small missiles, but they haven't managed to figure out a way to put the two together to make anything resembling an ICBM.

Their small nukes are.....like, minuscule small.

And yeah, every missile they launch ends in failure.

TheBalor posted:

Dropping a nuke would be the worst possible outcome for North Korea.

North Korea is already so severely outmatched by South Korea alone that were they to launch an attack, they would be quickly pushed back from whatever gains they made, especially since they're unlikely to achieve total surprise. In the aftermath, it's possible you'd see a Chinese puppet state set up, which might allow at least some of the ruling class to preserve and enrich themselves.

But if they launched a nuke, however or where ever they put it, that chance would be gone forever. The entire world would demand the utter removal of the Nork regime, and you'd probably see North Korea fully absorbed into South Korea, with any surviving officials being rounded up and thrown in jail.

North Korea using a nuke would result in the Chinese rolling on them, and fast. I think if China even caught wind that they planned to, they'd wipe the North Korean leadership.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
As long as that fat gently caress in Pyongyang doesn't have a secret death wish, then I'm pretty sure the worst that is going to happen is NK shoots some shells at the unmanned speaker positions. Maybe they knock down some trees, maybe they take out an easily replaced speaker. Then SK fiercely retaliates by firing some shells at some carefully preplanned targets on an empty hillside plausibly near the NK positions, but far enough away not to risk hitting anything.

Then both sides declare victory and everything goes back to normal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

Well they do have working missiles that have enough distance in them to cover South Korea. They don't have nuclear warheads to go with, and they probably don't have sufficiently working biological or chemical warheads to use instead (they're tricky to build so that they successfully deploy your chemical/biological agent). If they're going to lob anything at south korea it'll probably just be conventional explosives.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There were some musings on whether or not they could reach Japan and the Taepodong-2 has a "theoretical" range of Alaska, but I think all of their successful tests have just splashed into the Sea of Japan at the farthest. The aforementioned Alaska Killer lasted about 40 seconds in the air when they tested it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I'm thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMAW1wzQ8

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fintilgin posted:

As long as that fat gently caress in Pyongyang doesn't have a secret death wish..

Wouldn't it have to be kim jong un, as well as the head of the military having a death wish? Seems like the military heads who would be involved in carrying out that order are also part of the political elite and pretty well off by north Korean standards, so if it became a choice between launching a nuke and a very likely swift death or just throwing a military coup d'état, that it wouldn't exactly be a certainty that any missiles would ever be lunched.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Launching a single nuke, by itself, is militarily pointless anyway. The same is true for artillery strikes, chemical or biological weapons, and all the other things that usually get asked about whenever tensions flare. None of them have any offensive use except to soften up defending troops to make a ground attack easier (and most of them require considerable preparations on the attackers' side to avoid being affected by their own weapons), or to murder a bunch of defenseless civilians for the grievous crime of resisting an occupation. Either way, North Korea has no way of exploiting such an attack for military advantage, and if they wanted to hurt South Korean civilians or damage South Korean industry for absolutely no reason at all, it'd be much simpler to just close off Kaesong and imprison/murder the South Korean supervisors there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sounds like we're calling their bluff. Joint military exercises were temporarily suspended, but have been started back up. So like, whatever, world keeps on spinning.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Glad I'm not in media right now, all these reporters are right on the DMZ line. That's going to get vaporized by both sides within the first minute of action. At least move to a city 100 miles away or something.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Philthy posted:

Glad I'm not in media right now, all these reporters are right on the DMZ line. That's going to get vaporized by both sides within the first minute of action. At least move to a city 100 miles away or something.

gently caress're you talking about? The DMZ is great. Nice little nature preserve, and the troops are all really nice. The Korean ones have to stand around clenching their fists like Asian terminators. They should be so lucky if they've got a camera crew there if another axe incident happens or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Philthy posted:

All the stuff is geared to hit targets on either side of the DMZ when "the first minute of action" happens, because the DMZ itself is already a massive danger to be in in 90% of its length due to mines etc.