Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:catstare: I didn't realize how much I missed bkub until I saw his art again.

Also, yeah, a Touhou's popularity is directly proportional to how many memes you can make with them. That's why the SDM and Eientei are omnipresent but nobody ever cares about the Taoists or tsukumogami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure the real reason Dai and Koa are popular is that they piggy back off proximity to other wildly popular characters. SDM is pretty much the most popular group in Touhou, so Koakuma just gets thrown in as an extra servant, especially if Patchy's the one in focus. Dai gave Cirno someone to hang out with aside from Team 9, and so on.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Koakuma is a friend to everyone in and a valued member of the SDM.

Yeah

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Nobody likes the Tsukumo sisters though

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I like Yatsuhashi because I like koto music. :shobon:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The tsukumogami have fantastic themes. So they're pretty cool in my book.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm a terrible human being who plays Touhou with a controller instead of a keyboard. Yeah, I know, I tried the keyboard many a time and it never really works out for me. I do recognize quite a lot of controllers have absolutely lovely dpads and analog sticks and whatnot and I was curious what a really good controller is if any of you use one for shooters.

v: yeah I usually use a PS2 controller, but I was wondering if maybe a DS4 would be better because the dpad is clicky and more responsive like the vita I think, and that owns.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 20, 2015

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm a terrible human being who plays Touhou with a controller instead of a keyboard. Yeah, I know, I tried the keyboard many a time and it never really works out for me. I do recognize quite a lot of controllers have absolutely lovely dpads and analog sticks and whatnot and I was curious what a really good controller is if any of you use one for shooters.

Playstation controllers, any generation. I'm still using the same dual shock 2 with a USB adapter I've been using to play video games on PC for the last 12 years. I know PS3 controllers can be hacked to work, and I think PS4 controllers actually work natively if you have a Bluetooth adapter.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Barring that, Logitech has a controller designed after a XB360 pad - it's the F310, I think - that has served me well for quite a long while as well. Its d-pad isn't clicky, though, and I've actually found that controllers with the clicky d-pads tend to break a lot faster, so. :shrug:

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

KataraniSword posted:

Barring that, Logitech has a controller designed after a XB360 pad - it's the F310, I think - that has served me well for quite a long while as well. Its d-pad isn't clicky, though, and I've actually found that controllers with the clicky d-pads tend to break a lot faster, so. :shrug:

Yeah, can second the F310, it's very good for fighting games, but it should serve you well for basically everything. 8 directional d-pad things are pretty good

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I take it the D pad must be nothing like the one on the X360 controller then. Because that D pad is poo poo, and I would never want to play Touhou with it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Jesus, I have no idea why Colonel Aki comics piss me off. They're just... devoid of anything worthwhile.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Because they completely strip the characters of whatever personality they have in favour of the worst, most saccharine "cuteness".

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

WarpedNaba posted:

Jesus, I have no idea why Colonel Aki comics piss me off. They're just... devoid of anything worthwhile.

I didn't know who this was, but upon knowing that a goon had distate for it made me realise it was good for me to read.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 21, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

AdorableStar posted:

I didn't know who this was, but upon knowing that a goon had distate for it made me realise it was good for me to read.

Don't try so hard.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

a cartoon duck posted:

Don't try so hard.

Ah, good to see you haven't changed.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

They have no writing and therefor nothing to cover up that its the same overused cliches and character stereotypes. Its largely inoffensive though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

HGH posted:

Because they completely strip the characters of whatever personality they have in favour of the worst, most saccharine "cuteness".

Hey, Yuzuna's Kogasa and Echoes in Front of the Temple are good. About the only 4koma I don't like that much is Mizuki's Kogasa comic because it's kinda boring.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I appreciate Hang in There, Kogasa-san! as a stealth convention-recap comic.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

HellCopter posted:

I appreciate Hang in There, Kogasa-san! as a stealth convention-recap comic.

It is pretty good if you want to know about local cuisine as well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As a douj connoisseur I.....

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

....hope there are doujs containing my fave character, Reimu

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
lol if you guys don't consider Yohane's Marisa/Shanghai doujin as your personal headcanon

Seriously though, I'm still floored someone actually thought that up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm surprised you think that's weirder than Yohane's Byakuren being a shameless flirt who's cheating on Shinki to try and steal Kanako from Suwako.

Yohane just likes crack pairings. A shame their artstyle is so bland and cheesecakey, I actually kind of like some of the little details they do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is crack pairings another way of saying yuri, because I am very much into that

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Namtab posted:

Is crack pairings another way of saying yuri, because I am very much into that

It means different yuri than you expected, kind of like getting chocolate and nutella ice cream instead of chocolate fudge ice cream

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yohane just assigns characters arbitrary personality traits that are inconsistent with their actual characterisation, but then again the whole fandom does that so it's nothing too different.

Anyway, the best 4-komas are Echoes in Front of the Temple, and Hakurei's Leisurely Walk. Because they are cute and good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CommissarMega posted:

lol if you guys don't consider Yohane's Marisa/Shanghai doujin as your personal headcanon

Seriously though, I'm still floored someone actually thought that up.

Is not even the weirdest thing Yohane has done

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

A Meat posted:

It means different yuri than you expected, kind of like getting chocolate and nutella ice cream instead of chocolate fudge ice cream

I could go for chocolate and nutella ice cream

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yohane just assigns characters arbitrary personality traits that are inconsistent with their actual characterisation, but then again the whole fandom does that so it's nothing too different.

Anyway, the best 4-komas are Echoes in Front of the Temple, and Hakurei's Leisurely Walk. Because they are cute and good.

You forgot Bkub.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

honk honk

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Has there been any indication if/when ZUN plans to get LOLK up on playism.jp?

Because it's him, I'm going to assume the answer is "no".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Niiiiiiice

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

:yeah:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Hell Shuttle should've been shooting the Watatsuki's.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh hey, I finally got around to playing DDC and I think Seija Kijin became my favorite boss in the series.

I understand her popularity now. Well, the popularity I assume she has due to having a game. Did she do well on the polls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh hey, I finally got around to playing DDC and I think Seija Kijin became my favorite boss in the series.

I understand her popularity now. Well, the popularity I assume she has due to having a game. Did she do well on the polls?

Seija's popularity is measured by how much people dislike her, so she's about middle of the road.