Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Another tip: if you're due a mail-in-rebate from sprint (probably by visa check card), stay on top of that at sprintrebates.com. The $50 rebate on my S6 was initially rejected as an ineligible model. The CS rep was surprisingly great, and got that corrected in 30 seconds, but if I hadn't looked at the site and called...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Picking up the Nexus 6 tonight. Quick question. If I buy it from Sprint, is there a material difference between it and the one I get from the Google Play store? I might switch to the fi project eventually and want to make sure that it will work.

EDIT: I was able to answer my own question. Apparently it is pretty much the exact same phone with zero Sprint branding etc.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 17, 2015

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is the Note 5 the best large screen phone on Sprint atm? I hate that there's no sd support, but as of the latest update to my note 3 there may as well be no sd support. P-much I just need a big rear end screen(I use my phone as a tablet) and something that's a upgrade to my limping-along Note 3. And with the $200 trade-in credit the Note 5 looks tempting.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I'm eligible for a 2-year upgrade and have decided to switch from Android to iOS. My plan had been to wait until the 6s came out next month and get it for whatever the 2-year upgrade price was (assuming 299 for 64 gb) at launch.

With today's WSJ article announcing the impending end of Sprint contracts, do you think the 6s will even be offered at a subsidized 2-year upgrade price? Should I instead go with Best Buys current deal of a 6 with 64 gb for $199?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Krime posted:

FYI, if anyone is upgrading, this played out for me. I was asked if I wanted device insurance, I declined. Later in the the checkout process, the salesperson noted the $39 upgrade fee. I asked if that could be waived if I bought an accessory. He came back and offered to waive it if I bought the insurance (which can be dropped at any point)... so I did that. Also, they tried charging me shipping, which was free on the online checkout so I challenged that, got free shipping as well.

Saved me about $50

Reps can waive shipping fees for any reason.

Also the upgrade fee is $36, I don't know if you misremembered the amount or if they lied, but that's what the fee is.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

zenintrude posted:

I'm eligible for a 2-year upgrade and have decided to switch from Android to iOS. My plan had been to wait until the 6s came out next month and get it for whatever the 2-year upgrade price was (assuming 299 for 64 gb) at launch.

With today's WSJ article announcing the impending end of Sprint contracts, do you think the 6s will even be offered at a subsidized 2-year upgrade price? Should I instead go with Best Buys current deal of a 6 with 64 gb for $199?

I'm in the exact same boat. Switching from the note 4 to the 6S plus 120gig. I have the 1500 min unlimited everything plan and I would like to pay the subsidized price when it comes out. Will that even be an option or in order to keep my current plan am I going to have to buy the phone outright because I refuse to lease the phone and make my bill go up even more. BTW Sprint said they'll give me 200 bucks for my Note 4 which is a joke. Going to be selling my gear VR when I switch to IOS if anyone is interested I'll let it go for a good price.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'd have no problem with this lease crap if you could still buy your own phone outright and pay a lower monthly rate to match. But that hasn't been the case with Sprint up to now.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'd have no problem with this lease crap if you could still buy your own phone outright and pay a lower monthly rate to match. But that hasn't been the case with Sprint up to now.

But you can.

OptimusMatrix posted:

I'm in the exact same boat. Switching from the note 4 to the 6S plus 120gig. I have the 1500 min unlimited everything plan and I would like to pay the subsidized price when it comes out. Will that even be an option or in order to keep my current plan am I going to have to buy the phone outright because I refuse to lease the phone and make my bill go up even more. BTW Sprint said they'll give me 200 bucks for my Note 4 which is a joke. Going to be selling my gear VR when I switch to IOS if anyone is interested I'll let it go for a good price.

The new iPhone forever plan lets you upgrade now and makes you upgrade eligible as soon as the new iPhone launches.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So in one of the articles I read today, I forget which one, it said the new iPhone Forever plans come with TEP. Do the other plans come with TEP as well? Last thing I would think anyone would want to do is break a phone they don't own then I guess either paying double monthly rate for the phone portion of the plan.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So in one of the articles I read today, I forget which one, it said the new iPhone Forever plans come with TEP. Do the other plans come with TEP as well? Last thing I would think anyone would want to do is break a phone they don't own then I guess either paying double monthly rate for the phone portion of the plan.

All phones "come with TEP" because it is a metric we re measured on as dealers. So we put it on by default instead of trying to sell it anymore, and tell the customer that if they dont want it they can call customer care to have it removed.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Wizard of Smart posted:

But you can.

The new iPhone forever plan lets you upgrade now and makes you upgrade eligible as soon as the new iPhone launches.

Yes but doesnt it add like 22 bucks a month to my bill.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yes but doesnt it add like 22 bucks a month to my bill.

You can get an awesome $7 credit if you turn in a working smartphone bringing that to $15.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Wizard of Smart posted:

You can get an awesome $7 credit if you turn in a working smartphone bringing that to $15.

Can I pay a little more for a larger capacity one or is it limited to 16 gb?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

OptimusMatrix posted:

Can I pay a little more for a larger capacity one or is it limited to 16 gb?

yeah. The larger capacity ones go up in increments of $5 per level.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
A couple of questions after reading about Sprint getting rid of contracts:

- I guess no one knows for sure if they will offer 6s on contracts?

- So lets say I do the lease for the 6S, after a year I get the 7, that means I have to trade in my 6S right? What about if I was to wait for the 7s? Does the phone ever become mine?

- So I never take TEP, instead I have always done AppleCare+. Are they making you take TEP now with the lease program? Lets say I don't take either, and I lease my phone. If I break it they will not fix it, but I can still trade it broken when a new iPhone is released?

- If you don't have TEP, what happens if someone steals your lease phone? You have nothing to trade in.

- If I was to a get a 6 tomorrow on lease, I could upgrade to the iPhone 6s for nothing (outside of my lease fee) when it is released next month?

Sorry for all the questions, but heck that is the least of my confusion. Here is what Sprint is offering me to upgrade right now:

Outside of doing the 2 year deal, I have no idea what to do. My biggest fear is I have 5 lines, and over the years I have been passing down iPhones to the other lines. So now with the lease I am unable to do that, and for me to upgrade all 5 lines, sooner or later it will cost me $22x5 (more because I'm not getting a 16gb phone). So that will be over a $100 extra a month to my bill. I want to find the best deal for me without breaking the bank.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 19, 2015

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is that your actual, personal phone number on there? If so I might suggest taking it down or editing it out of the image.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nate fisher posted:

A couple of questions after reading about Sprint getting rid of contracts:

- I guess no one knows for sure if they will offer 6s on contracts?

AFAIK we aren't getting rid of contracts all together. There's been nothing in the pipe about it. You may have to go to a store or do telesales to get a contract, though, and both will try and push leases on you.

nate fisher posted:

- So lets say I do the lease for the 6S, after a year I get the 7, that means I have to trade in my 6S right? What about if I was to wait for the 7s? Does the phone ever become mine?

If you lease, at the end of your lease term you've got three options: turn in the phone and upgrade, continue payments, or pay the buyout price to make it yours.

nate fisher posted:

- So I never take TEP, instead I have always done AppleCare+. Are they making you take TEP now with the lease program? Lets say I don't take either, and I lease my phone. If I break it they will not fix it, but I can still trade it broken when a new iPhone is released?

Stores and reps push TEP because we get judged on metrics. Most reps sop is to add it at point of sale and tell you it's your responsibility to take it off. If you lease without it and break your device, they will not accept it back. The requirements for give back are that the device powers on, charges, has no water damage, and no cracks or chips in the screen.

nate fisher posted:

- If you don't have TEP, what happens if someone steals your lease phone? You have nothing to trade in.

You are poo poo out of luck and on the hook for the full retail price of the device.

nate fisher posted:

- If I was to a get a 6 tomorrow on lease, I could upgrade to the iPhone 6s for nothing (outside of my lease fee) when it is released next month?

If you make sure to get on the iPhone forever plan, yes. IPhone forever requires lease or easy pay, and is not combinable with loyalty lease credits. Not all reps are familiar with it, and I have no idea if the website supports it. So make sure.

Leasing plans are actually cheaper with lower line access fees, so in general the added cost becomes a wash (and in some cases saves a little over 2 years) as long as you get on the correct plan.

Edit: contracts are so still a thing I'm literally selling a phone on contract while typing this edit.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

In general, anything a carrier offers you is going to make them money. The only way this can work with phone leases is you're paying more than you would otherwise by buying your own phone. Do not buy into their bullshit unless the extra money spent to avoid the potential hassle of selling a used device is palatable to you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thank you Wizard of Smart.

One last question about the iPhone Forever. It knocks you off unlimited data (I've had Sprint 1999) correct? I currently have the Everything Data Family 1500 ($120 for basic plan plus $119.96 for 4 additional lines). If I am understanding correctly I can stay on the Everything Data Family by doing a 2 year contract, but I can't on the iPhone Forever. I have to get the Family Share Pack 40gb ($120 for basic, but only $100 for the 5 lines) if doing the iPhone Forever correct?

Also can you mix and match. For example can I walk in get an iPhone 6 on one line using the iPhone Forever, and get another iPhone on another line using the 2 year contract option?

Thanks again.

Edit: Oh by the way

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 19, 2015

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

We've been with Sprint for about 15 years now, so this is good to hear... Hopefully this extends to a subsidized 6s

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Thank you Wizard of Smart.

One last question about the iPhone Forever. It knocks you off unlimited data (I've had Sprint 1999) correct? I currently have the Everything Data Family 1500 ($120 for basic plan plus $119.96 for 4 additional lines). If I am understanding correctly I can stay on the Everything Data Family by doing a 2 year contract, but I can't on the iPhone Forever. I have to get the Family Share Pack 40gb ($120 for basic, but only $100 for the 5 lines) if doing the iPhone Forever correct?

Also can you mix and match. For example can I walk in get an iPhone 6 on one line using the iPhone Forever, and get another iPhone on another line using the 2 year contract option?

Thanks again.

Edit: Oh by the way

You can still do unlimited data - just not on the everything data share 1500. That plan is legacy now. There is an unlimited family plan that starts at $110 and then adds for service fees and phone payments.

And yes, you can do one on iPhone forever and one on contract.

Also yes, the 6s will be available on contract for a subsidized price AFAIK. Again, there's been nothing in the pipe about lease-only phones.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wizard of Smart posted:

You can still do unlimited data - just not on the everything data share 1500. That plan is legacy now. There is an unlimited family plan that starts at $110 and then adds for service fees and phone payments.

And yes, you can do one on iPhone forever and one on contract.

Also yes, the 6s will be available on contract for a subsidized price AFAIK. Again, there's been nothing in the pipe about lease-only phones.

Unfortunately it looks like this punishes those of us who didn't dump semen into every living thing we found. We have no children and don't plan on having any. We have separate phone bills and companies. I'm not paying an extra 20 bucks a month because sprint is off their rocker and thinks all of us are in families.

The question is: When I want to upgrade to a Nexus 6 (which I will buy outright like I do with all my phones) can I just call them and insert t he SIM card or is this going to be a pain in my rear end where they try to change the terms of my payment plan, which is unlimited everything for 91.22 with tax right now.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Darkpriest667 posted:

Unfortunately it looks like this punishes those of us who didn't dump semen into every living thing we found. We have no children and don't plan on having any. We have separate phone bills and companies. I'm not paying an extra 20 bucks a month because sprint is off their rocker and thinks all of us are in families.

The question is: When I want to upgrade to a Nexus 6 (which I will buy outright like I do with all my phones) can I just call them and insert t he SIM card or is this going to be a pain in my rear end where they try to change the terms of my payment plan, which is unlimited everything for 91.22 with tax right now.

Ask for the 60 dollar unlimited everything plan.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Ask for the 60 dollar unlimited everything plan.

It's not unlimited though, I roam a lot and with my everything data 450 plan I get unlimited roaming and unlimited roaming data.. with the unlimited everything plan you only get 100 MB of roaming data.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Darkpriest667 posted:

This is my question as well. I do NOT want to change plans when I change phones. Even if it means putting a new phone on my plan unsubsidized. The current crop of plans are simply unacceptable.

Is it possible to just buy a new phone myself, get a sim and put it on my existing plan?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's not unlimited though, I roam a lot and with my everything data 450 plan I get unlimited roaming and unlimited roaming data.. with the unlimited everything plan you only get 100 MB of roaming data.

You didn't mention the roaming.

Genreally, no, you can't switch sims between phones and have it work because Sprint is CDMA, not GSM, and sprint sims are 4g data only, with no voice or text support. That said, it's a simple process to change the device on your line. Heck, I can do it with just your IMEI over the forums, it's really not complicated.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I always get a headache when I start trying to reevaluate my plan. Even the Sprint website recommends that I stay on the Everything Data Family 1500, but does that mean I keep buying phones with the old subsidized model? Or is that eventually going away as well, leaving me only with the buyout or lease model? And can I even opt for the lease options with this plan? Should I? I don't even know what to do anymore.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

brc64 posted:

I always get a headache when I start trying to reevaluate my plan. Even the Sprint website recommends that I stay on the Everything Data Family 1500, but does that mean I keep buying phones with the old subsidized model? Or is that eventually going away as well, leaving me only with the buyout or lease model? And can I even opt for the lease options with this plan? Should I? I don't even know what to do anymore.

You can lease with ED1500, and you may even qualify for a $15 loyalty lease credit if you do. You can also use the old subsidized model as, again, that's not going away any time soon. As an example, I have just this morning done an upgrade and a new line on subsidized two year contracts.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wizard of Smart posted:

You can lease with ED1500, and you may even qualify for a $15 loyalty lease credit if you do. You can also use the old subsidized model as, again, that's not going away any time soon. As an example, I have just this morning done an upgrade and a new line on subsidized two year contracts.

Funny I just got an email from Sprint after we talked yesterday offering me a $17 iPhone Forever credit. From what I can tell I can lease the iPhone 6 today for $5 a month, and upgrade to the 6s next month and still keep it $5 a month until my next upgrade in 2016. In the small print it tells me 'Requires you to remain on your existing service plan' which is the ED 1500.

Am I understanding this correctly? Because to be honest that $5 a month deal might be too good to pass up at this time.

Also you did say $5 extra if you upgrade to the 64gb?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Wizard of Smart posted:

Most reps sop is to add it at point of sale and tell you it's your responsibility to take it off.

I was reading through the thread and saw this. Just wanted to throw out that this may actually be illegal in some states. I hope Sprint is aware and informs the reps accordingly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

I was reading through the thread and saw this. Just wanted to throw out that this may actually be illegal in some states. I hope Sprint is aware and informs the reps accordingly.

It is against sprint policies and is probably technically illegal. It's sales, and all carriers have a lot of pressure to increase revenue now a days, so it's basically a "policies and rules are this" but they look the other way as reps walk a gray line on it because, as mentioned, management has to get numbers.

Not saying it's a great thing, but that's how a good portion of wireless sellers operate.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wizard of Smart posted:

You didn't mention the roaming.

Genreally, no, you can't switch sims between phones and have it work because Sprint is CDMA, not GSM, and sprint sims are 4g data only, with no voice or text support. That said, it's a simple process to change the device on your line. Heck, I can do it with just your IMEI over the forums, it's really not complicated.

Unless you own a nexus phone, which I do. I don't give out my IMEI to anyone ;-) :-p come on now.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Ok, if that's the case can you explain how that's done, then? Nobody should be surprised that I may be confused on this point the way all these loving plans are worded and overlapping.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

---------Reserved for incoming answers when I'm not fixing planogram for Note 5 launch tomorrow---------

I promise, I have answers for you all.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

nate fisher posted:

Funny I just got an email from Sprint after we talked yesterday offering me a $17 iPhone Forever credit

I have one of these too, I'm assuming this is just for the next lease cycle and when I upgrade/swap the price goes back to normal? My bill now is 77 and change a month on the old 500 minutes unlimited everything else. It's more than enough minutes for me so I'm really tempted to skip it all, buy a subsidized 6S next month and wait to see what kind of crazy poo poo they're offering in 2 years.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Wizard of Smart posted:

---------Reserved for incoming answers when I'm not fixing planogram for Note 5 launch tomorrow---------

I promise, I have answers for you all.

I got my Note 5 yesterday. :smug:

How the hell do you launch apps from the lock screen? Can't seem to find the option to add launchable apps anywhere to the lock screen.

I've seen it in promo shots/videos.

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 21, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Funny I just got an email from Sprint after we talked yesterday offering me a $17 iPhone Forever credit. From what I can tell I can lease the iPhone 6 today for $5 a month, and upgrade to the 6s next month and still keep it $5 a month until my next upgrade in 2016. In the small print it tells me 'Requires you to remain on your existing service plan' which is the ED 1500.

Am I understanding this correctly? Because to be honest that $5 a month deal might be too good to pass up at this time.

Also you did say $5 extra if you upgrade to the 64gb?

AFAIK the credits expire if you don't take advantage of them by Sept. 10th, though they may be moving that date and just haven't told us. Otherwise, yes, you're right. And currently the 64gb is $5 more than the 16 on a lease.

LorneReams posted:

It probably would be, but the first thing that receives the customers initials in their paperwork is the acknowledgment/acceptance of the insurance. So, while it's pretty close to outright dishonesty for a rep to say it HAS to be there, it's not illegal because the customer signs for it. Also

Duckman2008 posted:

It is against sprint policies and is probably technically illegal. It's sales, and all carriers have a lot of pressure to increase revenue now a days, so it's basically a "policies and rules are this" but they look the other way as reps walk a gray line on it because, as mentioned, management has to get numbers.

Not saying it's a great thing, but that's how a good portion of wireless sellers operate.

This.

Darkpriest667 posted:

Unless you own a nexus phone, which I do. I don't give out my IMEI to anyone ;-) :-p come on now.

Hey, cool man. You do you. I admit, we dont sell nexus phones and I don't know much about them or the way they operate. If you came to my store for a sim card, I'd send you to a different store. That's about all I know.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Ok, if that's the case can you explain how that's done, then? Nobody should be surprised that I may be confused on this point the way all these loving plans are worded and overlapping.

If you own your phone outright, you can have them put you on the $60 plan which is unlimited everything except - as Darkpriest667 mentioned data roaming. If you lease your phone, you can pay the buyout price at the end of the lease term, and also own the phone outright.

Krime posted:

I got my Note 5 yesterday. :smug:

How the hell do you launch apps from the lock screen? Can't seem to find the option to add launchable apps anywhere to the lock screen.

I've seen it in promo shots/videos.

I've no idea. I haven't played with one yet. How did you get yours? Yesterday we had someone come in and activate a 6 edge + and my associate didnt think to ask how theyd gotten it early.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Wizard of Smart posted:

I've no idea. I haven't played with one yet. How did you get yours? Yesterday we had someone come in and activate a 6 edge + and my associate didnt think to ask how theyd gotten it early.

I called and ordered it Sunday morning. It was shipped 2 day Air and left Kentucky on Monday. Showed up on my doorstep by lunchtime on Wednesday.

I just activated mine online.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I want the Note 5 real bad, but my 2 year upgrade isn't up until... I actually don't know anymore. I thought it was around September or October, but then one time when I checked it had gotten pushed out to like January. Now the website won't even tell me; just "Sorry, but you are not yet eligible for savings on your handset." No date listed.

So I'm really interested to find out what my options are for the new phone beyond straight full price buyout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

brc64 posted:

I want the Note 5 real bad, but my 2 year upgrade isn't up until... I actually don't know anymore. I thought it was around September or October, but then one time when I checked it had gotten pushed out to like January. Now the website won't even tell me; just "Sorry, but you are not yet eligible for savings on your handset." No date listed.

So I'm really interested to find out what my options are for the new phone beyond straight full price buyout.
Upgrades were at 20 months (on a 24 month contract) until 9/1/14; after that, upgrades weren't available until 24 months. This is based on when you signed your contract, though, which was presumably Jan '14, from the sounds of it.

Another method to check: text 'upgrade' to 1311. Or you might just call and ask. The website is dumb interface trying to combine info from probably 900 different back-end systems, so it's no surprise it's neither intuitive nor comprehensive. A CSR is at least a less dumb interface to the same thing.