Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013
Hi thread, does anyone have any experience with Amorphophallus konjac / voodoo lily? I bought two little plants last month. Both plants sent up offshoots, but now the original plants are dying. I'll still probably re-pot all four of them just in case the two dying ones can recover, but does anyone have any tips for their general growth and maintenance? I'm trying to keep them indoors as houseplants because there are so many rabbits here, but I'm not sure if they need more light than that? What size of pot is best relative to the plant size? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good, rich and well-draining soil for these guys? Can I overdo it with the fertilizer?

They're super weird plants with a single giant leaf and a mottled stem. I'm really smitten with them but I worry that my inexperience is killing them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kedo posted:

Cross posting in the plant and critter threads because I'm not sure if this is some sort of plant/fungus or the eggs of some critter.

What the heck are these?

I just noticed that they'd started growing/had been laid in one of my potted plants. They're leathery feeling and inside are a whole bunch of weird black, semi-slimy (or just wet?) seed or egg looking things. They appear to be in no way connected to the roots of the plants around them (strawberry and a kind of climbing flower). Some appear to have burst open on their own accord already, others are still sealed shut.

http://www.backyardnature.net/f/birdnest.htm

Neat! Bird's Nest Fungi!

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Does anyone know, even in general, what kind of plant would look like a fern but have tiny flowers and something like seeds growing underneath each stem instead of spores on the leaves?

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010

Pondex posted:

I've been growing some Scotch Bonnet-peppers but as you can see they look a bit weird:

No seeds, just these weird threads. Does anyone know what's wrong with them? And are they still safe to eat?

If it's not a fungus or something, my next guess would be poor/bad pollination. I have no experience with peppers, but a couple of other fruits end up with weird misshapen seeds if there wasn't enough bees/other insects visiting.
But peppers are self pollinating as well as insect pollinated (I'm pretty sure), so :shrug:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

thepaladin4488 posted:

If it's not a fungus or something, my next guess would be poor/bad pollination. I have no experience with peppers, but a couple of other fruits end up with weird misshapen seeds if there wasn't enough bees/other insects visiting.
But peppers are self pollinating as well as insect pollinated (I'm pretty sure), so :shrug:

Yeah, it weird. I've grown plenty of peppers in that windowsill before. Including other Habaneros. And there's a yellow birdseye-plant right next to it that's completely healthy.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Spiffy, thanks much! I am much happier knowing they're a fungus and not some sort of weird ultra mosquito egg or something.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

unprofessional posted:

The amount of ashes will be too small to make a discernible difference in the soil profile, especially over the life of a tree. What kind of tree were you thinking?

I was thinking of either an oak or a magnolia tree (both are common in our town parks here). Would that make a difference?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bog pixie posted:

Does anyone know, even in general, what kind of plant would look like a fern but have tiny flowers and something like seeds growing underneath each stem instead of spores on the leaves?

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, and I spent a whole semester of Plant Tax wondering what it was, but no one would tell me because that would be cheating in the class. I just wanted to know what the drat plant was.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cov-hog posted:

Hi thread, does anyone have any experience with Amorphophallus konjac / voodoo lily? I bought two little plants last month. Both plants sent up offshoots, but now the original plants are dying. I'll still probably re-pot all four of them just in case the two dying ones can recover, but does anyone have any tips for their general growth and maintenance? I'm trying to keep them indoors as houseplants because there are so many rabbits here, but I'm not sure if they need more light than that? What size of pot is best relative to the plant size? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good, rich and well-draining soil for these guys? Can I overdo it with the fertilizer?

They're super weird plants with a single giant leaf and a mottled stem. I'm really smitten with them but I worry that my inexperience is killing them :(

I have both plants known as voodoo lilies in my yard, along with rabbits. They've never touched my voodoo lilies. The Amorphophallus ones I keep in the shade, while the Dracunulus ones go in full sun.

That being said, when I originally bought them, I got them too late in the year to plant them outside. Well, the Amorphophallus one lived up to its name and forced itself in storage, so I potted it. It stank up the house, grew real healthy in the pot with no fertilizer in a sunny window... but it didn't survive the transfer outside. It was a shame too, I got a huge tuber the size of a baseball that cost me $15 for a single one. Personally, I blame him. He was the one that insisted on becoming an indoor plant.

For the record, my replacements outside are doing great. They leaf out VERY late in the year (late June/July), so expect to second guess them every year that they didn't survive that winter. They're doing great under my silver maple, in a garden I call "death row" because that loving maple sucks all the water out of the ground. I hate that tree.

Last tip: you may have to amend the soil with sand or perlite to make it freer draining. They don't like being soggy. Actually, that tip goes for most bulb/tuber/corm plants.

bog pixie posted:

That almost sounds like a legume. Some of them can look very fern like.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2015

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

bog pixie posted:

Common weed in the south? I cannot for the life of me remember the full name, but it starts with Egyptian...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

robotindisguise posted:

Common weed in the south? I cannot for the life of me remember the full name, but it starts with Egyptian...

That's it.

Phyllanthus urinaria

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Yes! That's exactly what it was. Thank you everyone.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I was thinking of either an oak or a magnolia tree (both are common in our town parks here). Would that make a difference?
Nope. Was just hoping you were going to be choosing an appropriate tree for the occasion. Good choices.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
Looking to get some more plants, I have two right now, a pothos and a desert rose that have held up for a while.

Some noob questions:

http://theorchidhouse.org/converting-to-semi-hydroponics/
How does this work? Do you just need the pot with the holes in it and the clay medium? What is this "reservoir" they speak of? Like, do you just leave the pot on a shelf and add water/fertilizer to that, or does it need some additional tray or something? I'm not quite seeing how this works.

Also, I live in NH and am super jealous of some of these outdoor balconies going on. What do you guys do with your plants in the winter? I keep my desert rose inside all the time, but would love to get more succulents. Should I stick with all-the-time indoor plants, and then get seasonal plants in the spring/summer/fall each year for outside? I've always wondered about how to manage plants with the extreme winters we get here.

Thanks, I'll post some pics of my current plants soon!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

MythObstacleIV posted:

Looking to get some more plants, I have two right now, a pothos and a desert rose that have held up for a while.

Some noob questions:

http://theorchidhouse.org/converting-to-semi-hydroponics/
How does this work? Do you just need the pot with the holes in it and the clay medium? What is this "reservoir" they speak of? Like, do you just leave the pot on a shelf and add water/fertilizer to that, or does it need some additional tray or something? I'm not quite seeing how this works.

Also, I live in NH and am super jealous of some of these outdoor balconies going on. What do you guys do with your plants in the winter? I keep my desert rose inside all the time, but would love to get more succulents. Should I stick with all-the-time indoor plants, and then get seasonal plants in the spring/summer/fall each year for outside? I've always wondered about how to manage plants with the extreme winters we get here.

Thanks, I'll post some pics of my current plants soon!

This is how I do my 30 orchids. Super super easy, and lots of success this way. The reservoir is the space under the drainage holes, where the water wicks up from. This is called capillary action.

You have a balcony? You can move anything outside during the summer. That's what I do with my 200+ succulent collection and all of my carnivorous plants. Inside, they go in front of a southern window and are given very little water, so they stay as dormant as possible.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So I'm thinking of planting a flower that happens to be of "special concern" in the state I'm in. (so, endangered). I'm allowed to get rid of it if it doesn't work out, right? The usda and epa isn't going to call in a drone strike if I remove it?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Bozart posted:

So I'm thinking of planting a flower that happens to be of "special concern" in the state I'm in. (so, endangered). I'm allowed to get rid of it if it doesn't work out, right? The usda and epa isn't going to call in a drone strike if I remove it?

I think it's mostly intended for governments to consider when doing projects and permitting, in an attempt to avoid the more costly federal endangered species type stuff. They won't care about a few plants in your yard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's wrong with my Agapanthus?

The one on the bottom started turning about 3 weeks ago, the rest started turning this week. They were all pretty healthy before.

It was really hot last weekend (110) and it's been milder the rest of the week, around mid 90s. This is in SoCal and they're on a drop system for 10min every day. I started hand watering when the tips started to brown. I didn't see any mites or fungus but it was just a cursory glance.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

FCKGW posted:

What's wrong with my Agapanthus?

The one on the bottom started turning about 3 weeks ago, the rest started turning this week. They were all pretty healthy before.

It was really hot last weekend (110) and it's been milder the rest of the week, around mid 90s. This is in SoCal and they're on a drop system for 10min every day. I started hand watering when the tips started to brown. I didn't see any mites or fungus but it was just a cursory glance.

It might just be the heat - I recently had a hydrangea frazzled by the sun. How recently were they planted?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gender illusionist posted:

It might just be the heat - I recently had a hydrangea frazzled by the sun. How recently were they planted?

About 18 months ago.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Hoping someone can help me identify a couple of things.

I was out hiking and found a fallen tree. It had a bunch of this bright spiky stuff growing on it in patches. It looks like it is slowly transforming into a pink porcupine. What is this?

Secondly, could anyone help identify what plant/flower this this? It looks a bit like a lilac but not quite - it's a small bush with single stalks of these flowers shooting off in all directions. I thought maybe loosestrife, but the flowers are different and the flower stalks don't all point vertically.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Enfys posted:

I was out hiking and found a fallen tree. It had a bunch of this bright spiky stuff growing on it in patches. It looks like it is slowly transforming into a pink porcupine. What is this?

Secondly, could anyone help identify what plant/flower this this? It looks a bit like a lilac but not quite - it's a small bush with single stalks of these flowers shooting off in all directions. I thought maybe loosestrife, but the flowers are different and the flower stalks don't all point vertically.

The second one is a buddleja

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

gender illusionist posted:

The second one is a buddleja

Thank you!

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Enfys posted:

Looks like some kind of red coral fungus, but I can't find what species specifically.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My dad has been away from his home since May and is returning September 8. His neighbor has been mowing his lawn regularly, but when I went to check on the house last week, I saw that no one has been weeding his flower beds and they are horrific.

:gonk:

So I started weeding them last night. Two questions:

1) Are latex-coated gloves like this adequate protection against irritating plants like pokeweed and thistles? If not, what would you recommend?

2) Unfortunately I don't have pictures of this, but I have been finding little fungus balls (approx. golf ball-sized) growing on some of the weeds and bushes, close to the ground and (IIRC) under the soil. They look a little like brains on the surface, and are slightly orange to dark brown in color. They grow attached to the stems of the plants like parasites, surrounding the stems and then growing their bulk off to one side. They are dry to the touch (not slimey or wet) and sort of have the density and inner consistency of firm styrofoam (stiff, not spongey). Can anyone tell me from this lame description what they are? (This is in southeastern Pennsylvania, btw). I'll go back tonight and take pictures, if you'd like.

I have been removing them (usually by removing the weed they're on), but I'm concerned that they may be toxic if I hit them with my spade and inhale the spores or get them on my skin.

Bonus: Check out the giant mutant common groundsel plants my dad's got going on!

My shoe is just under 10" long, for scale, and that was just a random sample I pulled. There are plants there that are over 5 feet tall, with stalks larger than my thumb. Every weed resource I've read says that groundsel grows in un-mowed areas up to 24" long, flourishing in the late spring and dying off by late summer, but my dad's crop is growing proud and strong, thank you very much. :nyd:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 26, 2015

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Those gloves should be good, but an errant thorn may get through.

Did you break open any of the puff ball type things? Need pictures.

Manual removal is definitely your best bet, but a thick (up to 10") layer of mulch will prevent it from happening again. Weeds that shoot from root cuttings shouldn't have enough energy to make their way through that much mulch.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?
Any tips on speeding up composting? My compost heap is producing the most lovely compost but demand is starting to outstrip supply.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

unprofessional posted:

Those gloves should be good, but an errant thorn may get through.

Did you break open any of the puff ball type things? Need pictures.

Manual removal is definitely your best bet, but a thick (up to 10") layer of mulch will prevent it from happening again. Weeds that shoot from root cuttings shouldn't have enough energy to make their way through that much mulch.
My dad's flower beds have no mulch at all, just bare earth, so I'll suggest this to him when he gets back.

Here are some pictures of the fungus --

I didn't crack any open because I, uh, was afraid to. :ohdear:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

vanmartin posted:

Any tips on speeding up composting? My compost heap is producing the most lovely compost but demand is starting to outstrip supply.

See if your local extension office offers a class. Around here it's called the Master Composters.

Other than that, fine tune your ratios of C and N, keep the moisture level where it should be and turn it as often as you can, like every day.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

See if your local extension office offers a class. Around here it's called the Master Composters.

Other than that, fine tune your ratios of C and N, keep the moisture level where it should be and turn it as often as you can, like every day.

Much appreciated. I've been toying with the idea of introducing red wigglers into the heap. Not sure if it's a good idea though.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After more investigation, it seems likely that the blights in my dad's garden are crown galls, which are caused by a bacterial disease. According to that link, the plants they're on, "emerald 'n gold" euonymus, are particularly susceptible, and

quote:

Severely infested plants should be removed. Do not replace them with susceptible plants. Crown gall can spread to unaffected plants since it becomes established in the soil. The bacteria can persist in the soil for two or more years, even when susceptible plants are not present on the site. If you need to prune infested plants, disinfect your pruners between cuts by dipping them in 70 percent alcohol and allowing them to air dry. If the galls are very visible and unsightly, you can try to prune them out carefully. However, crown gall is systemic; removing the galls after the fact does not get rid of the disease.

I'll remove the galls as recommended, but it sounds like my dad is going to have to make bigger changes to his garden.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

vanmartin posted:

Don't introduce worms. Turning as often as possible is key. If you're turning it on a good pace, and have moisture, the pile and process will heat up so much you'll kill your worms. A really active pile can be over 150 degrees.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

unprofessional posted:

Don't introduce worms. Turning as often as possible is key. If you're turning it on a good pace, and have moisture, the pile and process will heat up so much you'll kill your worms. A really active pile can be over 150 degrees.

I'm really trying to avoid daily turning because:
a. I'm lazy
b. It's a huge heap

Point taken though. Turning it is!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

vanmartin posted:

a. I'm lazy
b. It's a huge heap

One of the main reasons for turning is to introduce oxygen. The bigger commercial operations actually use perforated pipes in the bottom of piles to force air into them. I've heard this type of aerating tool works well but I've never tried it myself. People will also just use a garden fork or the end of a broom handle to poke holes in the pile.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

vanmartin posted:

a. I'm lazy
b. It's a huge heap

I'm with you, honestly. I find letting it overwinter does the work just fine.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

vanmartin posted:

Much appreciated. I've been toying with the idea of introducing red wigglers into the heap. Not sure if it's a good idea though.

That's vermicomposting, not regular composting.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

One of the main reasons for turning is to introduce oxygen. The bigger commercial operations actually use perforated pipes in the bottom of piles to force air into them. I've heard this type of aerating tool works well but I've never tried it myself. People will also just use a garden fork or the end of a broom handle to poke holes in the pile.

That could work. Thanks for the suggestion.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

There was some talk about cross breeding among peppers in GWS which got me thinking – how does the cross breeding actually work? Like, if I have some peppers growing in pots on my balcony (say, some super spicy ghost peppers and some wussy man's jalapeños) and they're cross pollinated, will the heat of the ghosts be reduced and the jalapeños be increased? Or would it just be that if I were to plant the seeds from one or the other next year they would result in some odd frankenstein pepper?

Of all the food plants I grew on my balcony this summer the peppers did by far the best, so I plan on growing a bunch next summer and don't want to wussify my ghosts.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The children will be hybrids, not the parents. You would have to plant the seeds obtained from a successful cross breeding. That new plant's fruit would have the blended features, most likely. Cross breeding doesn't always have the intended results. Sometimes, any seeds produced wouldn't be viable, or that the resulting hybrid will be sterile. That's actually a strategy used sometimes by professional plant breeding companies. If the plant you spent decades developing can't reproduce via its seeds, then that removes one source of potential customers obtaining their own plant outside of your control. Legally, they will have to come to you or a licensed nursery to buy their own vegetative clone, at least until your patent expires. A lot of rose cultivars are like that.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can I post here for tree sickness diagnosis? She ill, a newbie, and I'm worried