Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Nippon TV will be broadcasting a retirement ceremony for Hayabusa on the afternoon of 23rd as part of it's 24 hour television special. The info came from Pro-Wrestling Freedoms tweeting that Mammoth Sasaki will be appearing during the ceremony.

No clue if this will be a definite retirement, but at least he'll get to tell his story to the Japanese public..

edit: Pro-Wrestling Freedoms removed the tweet in question.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Nope. Haven't watched anything better than that.

Togo was absolutely awesome the last few years of his career.
Togo's retirement world tour was amazing, and the fact that he basically had a match of the year candidate with japanese Zack Ryder is loving astounding. That whole era of DDT Pro was probably some of the best wrestling in the world. This was also around the same time of Daisuke Sekimoto's DDT title run which is probably my favorite beginning to end title run of all time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0UoI9Cmh0o

I don't know what's going on in this video except that Hayabusa walks into a ring, the first time since 2001 I think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
DDT will be bringing in Joey Ryan in September. Actually seems like a good fit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

DDT will be bringing in Joey Ryan in September. Actually seems like a good fit.
Can't wait for the inevitable Joey Ryan/Danshoku Dino match

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0UoI9Cmh0o

I don't know what's going on in this video except that Hayabusa walks into a ring, the first time since 2001 I think.
Hayabusa's been saying for years that he wants to be able to walk into the ring one more time, and seeing him do exactly that is just great. I think I have something in my eye. :unsmith:

I didn't get to see Hayabusa's matches until after his accident, but when I did I immediately became a huge fan. Maybe he wasn't exactly the best worker ever, but he had such a cool look and moveset (and theme song) that it didn't matter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

Hayabusa's been saying for years that he wants to be able to walk into the ring one more time, and seeing him do exactly that is just great. I think I have something in my eye. :unsmith:

I didn't get to see Hayabusa's matches until after his accident, but when I did I immediately became a huge fan. Maybe he wasn't exactly the best worker ever, but he had such a cool look and moveset (and theme song) that it didn't matter.

He was like a less botchy Sabu. Lots of fun to watch, and an absolute whirlwind of activity.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was like a less botchy Sabu. Lots of fun to watch, and an absolute whirlwind of activity.

One of the reasons the fans loved him was his humility and pure love for his company. He was a really hot topic in the 90s and major feds were waiting for him to jump. He turned them all down since he wanted to be loyal to FMW. He did, however, do tours for AJPW during the time when Baba didn't want to use outsiders and thus formed lifelong ties with Misawa and Kobashi.

He was also an inspiration to many young people who ended up becoming wrestlers, like HARASHIMA, Ibushi and Milano Collection AT (who was under Hayabusa's wing for the brief period Milano was in the FMW dojo).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Doc Morbid posted:

For a lot of us he was probably by far the best/flashiest worker on those death match compilations which made him stand out even more.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

My sister-in-law just let me know that Giant Baba and Jumbo Tsuruta are among the candidates to be the namesakes of recently discovered exoplanets.

http://nameexoworlds.iau.org/systems/118

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Thauros posted:

My sister-in-law just let me know that Giant Baba and Jumbo Tsuruta are among the candidates to be the namesakes of recently discovered exoplanets.

http://nameexoworlds.iau.org/systems/118

That's really cool. I hope those are the names they go with.

I think it's safe to say that Hayabusa got a lot of people into puroresu.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Don't know what "Their fight made Japan fine" means precisely but it sounds like a good enough reason

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Del Raminos posted:

Don't know what "Their fight made Japan fine" means precisely but it sounds like a good enough reason

I can translate that from Japanese English to mean "many people in Japan loved their matches and fighting spirit," which, yeah. I'd certainly like to see the Jumbo one happen at least.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Thought this was pretty interesting:

https://twitter.com/SenorLARIATO/status/645993314060210177

The numbers aren't exact because everyone has a different capacity for Korakuen (DG only does 1850 because a fire marshall got called a few months back). Jae from IHeartDG was questioning the DDT number. Things look roooooughhhhh for all japan.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
A joshi fed with like 10 women is nipping at the heels of All Japan.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i love ICERIBBON

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

For a lot of us he was probably by far the best/flashiest worker on those death match compilations which made him stand out even more.

Mitsuhiro Matsunaga got way more smark cred from me than he probably ever deserved.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bigass Moth posted:

Mitsuhiro Matsunaga got way more smark cred from me than he probably ever deserved.

dude wrestled an alligator. It was a tiny one. And it was pretty upset at the whole ordeal but he wrestled an alligator.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Dude smashed a bundle of barbed wire into someone's chest and did a missile kick, off the top rope, square into the barbed wire.

Dude owned.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Couple of puro-related questions:

1) How is Zero 1 still in business? They were something of a joke a decade ago but they still seem to be plugging along.
And before you say "YAKUZA MONEY" other, better promotions have failed to weather yakuza connections with much success. With NOAH allegedly becoming the minor leagues of New Japan and All Japan circling the drain, how is Z1 still making it? It's also not like they have a lock on a special style, like DG does with lucharesu, Big Japan does with death matches, and DDT does with comedy/sports entertainment. The whole Z1 gimmick was they welcomed all styles, meaning they were a master of none.

2) With Strong Style Spirit and its forums pretty much dead, is there another good site/message board devoted to puroresu only?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Panama Red posted:

2) With Strong Style Spirit and its forums pretty much dead, is there another good site/message board devoted to puroresu only?

No clue about forums, but Purolove is good for schedules, results, and official gate figures. STRIGGA is one of the guys who run it (he's also with cagematch.net) and is a good follow on Twitter for puro news and discussion.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Thauros posted:

No clue about forums, but Purolove is good for schedules, results, and official gate figures. STRIGGA is one of the guys who run it (he's also with cagematch.net) and is a good follow on Twitter for puro news and discussion.

Thanks. I get a lot of news/results from Purolove, Puroresu Spirit, Enuhito and others, but it's difficult to find sites that do analysis or do more than report results or live tweet New Japan events. The SSS forums were good because you had multiple su forums with each major promotion having their own dedicated topics.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Panama Red posted:

1) How is Zero 1 still in business? They were something of a joke a decade ago but they still seem to be plugging along.
And before you say "YAKUZA MONEY"
Yakuza money (probably)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Panama Red posted:

And before you say "YAKUZA MONEY" other, better promotions have failed to weather yakuza connections with much success. With NOAH allegedly becoming the minor leagues of New Japan and All Japan circling the drain, how is Z1 still making it? It's also not like they have a lock on a special style, like DG does with lucharesu, Big Japan does with death matches, and DDT does with comedy/sports entertainment. The whole Z1 gimmick was they welcomed all styles, meaning they were a master of none.

Japan's businesses model allows for companies to go way deep in the red before considering it a loss. A lot of times this is because the owners don't want to gently caress over their employees by closing down, same with employees. They'll work harder and for less money just to keep the company going. This is why DSE, FEG,K-1 survived well past the point a western company would have shut down.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't think AJPW is doing that bad unless you're comparing them to the glory days, which is unfair anyway since it's not even the same company. Even if they're drawing less (which with all the worked attendance numbers is hard to say anyway), they at least don't have the vibe of a dying company that NOAH, Wrestle-1 and Zero-1 have. They also have consistently entertaining top-to-bottom cards and their best matches are on a similar level to the best stuff from NJPW, which you can't say for any other Japanese groups except DG and DDT.

They even have a sponsored wrestler now with Coconut Saburo

money!

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 22, 2015

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They draw like 500 people for shows headlined by high-profile singles matches like Akiyama vs Shiozaki; there's no getting around the reality that they draw like an indy.

It's patently absurd that W-1, Z-1, AJ and NOAH all exist in the context of a smaller market and less heavyweight talent.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Not denying they draw like an indie, just that they seem to be a decently performing indie. They know their level and stay in their lane and that distinguishes them from a lot of the other low-level groups out there.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Not denying they draw like an indie, just that they seem to be a decently performing indie. They know their level and stay in their lane and that distinguishes them from a lot of the other low-level groups out there.

Not really. They still act as if they were the same All Japan of the 1990s, when in reality, they struggled to stay relevant after the Misawa exodus. NOAH got almost all the big name talent, but ultimately floundered because they didn't have enough young stars to develop. All Japan had the young stars, but we're lacking in the marquee names. Mutoh, Kawada, Kojima... Suwama? Akebono? Taiyo Kea? Mutoh did his best but I think the sports entertainment approach was not the right fit for the All Japan audience. When W-1 broke off that was the final nail in the coffin.

I think DG and DDT have done so well because they were always devoted to doing their own thing and being different than the other promotions. NOAH, Z-1 and W-1 were all formed by big stars who felt their old promotions didn't appreciate them and thought they could build an identical product with their own fame and the help of their loyalists. However, once the novelty wears off and the new promotion fails to make the impact desired, they basically just tread water. (I know DG technically split from Ultimo and the Toryumon, but that was a case of the younger talent booting the big star to do their own thing.)

So really you can blame the decline/demise of all these promotions on Motoko Baba.

Z-1 to me is the most interesting case because Hashimoto severed ties with Z-1 before his death, so it's not like Ohtani has a obligation to keep his hero's promotion alive, the way some Misawa loyalists may have felt/feel about NOAH. I can only imagine that it's become an ego thing for Ohtani himself.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, since this is the only thread I really follow in this sub forum, but joshi legend Akira Hokuto announced today that she has what looks like pretty serious breast cancer: http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.com/2015/09/akira-hokuto-has-cancer.html

According to STRIGGA on Twitter, it looks like she's already had a surgery to remove a 2 cm tumor from her right breast, but there is a possibility that the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes, which is obviously bad news. STRIGGA also says doctors told Hokuto she may have to shave her head "to make things easier," whatever that means.

Hopefully she beats this as she has a reputation as a beast both inside and outside the ring (she and Kensuke Sasaki once allegedly kept an entire hotel up with their lovemaking)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Pfffft, Hokuto's gonna beat the poo poo out of cancer.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Panama Red posted:

Hopefully she beats this as she has a reputation as a beast both inside and outside the ring (she and Kensuke Sasaki once allegedly kept an entire hotel up with their lovemaking)

Meltzer pretty much confirmed this in his retirement bio of Sasaki.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Was he in the hotel room? How many stars did he give it?

Another puroresu legend, Tatsumi Fujinami, has had to pull out of some upcoming shows for his promotion, DRADITION, due to recovering from hip surgery. Fujinami is 61 years old and in 1989 he suffered a back injury in a match with Vader that has been bothering him ever since. He had the surgery on the 17th and is currently in rehab. His son, LEONA, is filling his space on the cards, which include matches against Sho Funaki and Billyken Kid.

In other news, NOAH is having a show honoring Masashi Aoyagi's retirement on October 4th. Aoyagi made his name in FMW in the 1990s, where he had a number of memorable matches against Atsushi Onita. He had a background in karate/martial arts before turning to pro wrestling. In the 2000s, he turned up in NOAH, wrestling as a freelancer. He's not going to compete on the upcoming NOAH show, but there will be a match dedicated to him: Akitoshi Satio & Shiro Koshinaka versus Yoshihiro Takayama & Takuma Sano. (Ayoyagi was a member of Koshinaka's stable in FMW.)

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Go Shiozaki announced he's leaving AJPW. I'm not the biggest fan of the guy but this is horrible news for the company. Miyahara is going to get the rocket strapped to him now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Go Shiozaki announced he's leaving AJPW. I'm not the biggest fan of the guy but this is horrible news for the company. Miyahara is going to get the rocket strapped to him now.

Just came across this article on purolove:

STRIGGA courtesy of Google Translate posted:

All Japan Pro Wrestling send a message that only said that Go Shiozaki All Japan would effectively leave on October 1. His last match for All Japan, he is together with tag team partner Kento Miyahara contest against Jun Akiyama & Yoshinobu Kanemaru on 4 October.

As far as the message of the promotion. Not a few observers were surprised when Go Shiozaki in the first round of Saturday ended Royal Road tournament in 8 minutes lost against Jun Akiyama. One possible explanation for this defeat on 10 September provides Tokyo Sports, since it states that Shiozaki officials of promotion already informed at the beginning of the month of its intention to leave All Japan. The officials came to this request accordingly by mid-month. From 01.10. the former Triple Crown and World Tag Team Champion is therefore Freelancer. The World Tag Team title was declared vacant and will probably re-fought in the Real World Tag League, which begins on 23 November.

Go Shiozaki even told Tokyo Sports that he was already in January when he won the Triple Crown of Joe Doerinh, thought about to leave the league. He had already at that time had the feeling that they have to keep more options open, which is why he is first to act as a freelancer. About his future he had not yet decided firmly, stand, however, that he must find an employer in order to provide for his family.

Go Shiozaki left Pro Wrestling Noah in December 2012 and made his debut for All Japan Pro Wrestling in January of the following year. As a beacon of hope for the future of promotion Shiozaki won the World Tag Team Title Tournament, Royal Road 2014 and twice. By winning the Triple Crown seemed he arrived early this year the goal of his plans, but after only 138 days as champion, he lost the title to Akebono.

I wonder if he's heading back to NOAH?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
All Japan drops from 9th in the japan promotion rating to below dratition.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
poo poo, send him to NJPW to compete for the IC title so we stop having Nakamura vs Goto

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Panama Red posted:

the best part about that was they got engaged the very next morning

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
DRADITION pro wrestling has finally done what fate intended: On the October 6th card, Masakatsu Funaki and Shoichi Funaki were put on the same team together. The Funaki Fun Club has become a reality. Dreams DO come true, dear friends.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Huh. had no idea Sho was still active and I thought he lived in the US now. That's cool tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
correction: the October 3rd card and, yeah, I didn't think he was that active anymore either, but: